Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HoneyBee29

VIP Member
yeah I feel weird about using it because of this. I'm still adhering to social distancing from anyone not in my household (i know I must be one of the last people bothering!!!)

So it feels wrong to be going out for meals seeing big groups not distancing when I've not hugged my parents yet.
I’ve been out for dinner once and it was for a birthday dinner and we booked it for a lot earlier so it wasn’t overly busy started to get busy when we left. You weren’t allowed to leave the table and had to ask to go to the toilet ffs felt like I was back in school

Ponponpon

VIP Member
For many companies the half price deals make a lot of sense seeing as even for non-acholic drinks they are where lots of the money is made.

I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but many places used to do this deal in January weekdays as it was so quiet. Places like yo sushi seemed expensive even at half price where £50 full value of food for two people and still not filled up, and this was 10 years ago :LOL:
I know places that do two for one curry nights, 50% pizzas/steaks/grill food early in the week. And don't forget the good old pub quiz on a week night to get punters in!

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
I was re-starting slimming world (from home) this week - hmmm, maybe not 😆 Only me and kids can’t really utilise this as hubby at work; I may just use the discounts for cake! Cake and coffee!!
That’s a good idea! We’re both off on furlough and even though I love cooking I am getting a bit tired of having done so every single night bar the odd takeaway since lockdown when I’m usually away most of the week so the struggle to be good is real 🤣

DietGossip

VIP Member
Only some of the pubs are doing it near me, so it'd mean going into town for an unnecessary journey. Maybe I'll get a costa but other than that I'm not sure if I'll use it.

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
No, im more likely to go when it’s quiet 😊, also it would be all of us going and the children wouldn’t be able to agree what to eat! I think it’s a nice idea and I’m sure will be enjoyed by lots of people. I think if I was on a staycation somewhere I would be more inclined.

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
Another day and another place that wouldn't give me the discount , from now on I'm going to nandos as I'm sure they wouldn't date not offer it to their clientele

As far as I'm concerned the casual dining industry can crash and burn 👿
Why didn't they offer you the discount?

malolo

VIP Member
I’ve used the scheme a good amount of times, but I’ve mostly spent about the same per week as pre-lockdown. I used to take my daughter out for breakfast once a week and now take her out twice due to the discount. Next week we’ll be back to once a week

Was the goal to get people back to their normal habits, or to encourage them to eat out more than pre-lockdown?

While I will almost definitely go back to my old habit of eating out on a weekly basis (my daughter wouldn’t be amused if that ended), in a way I feel like the scheme has put me off eating out. It’s crazy how the cashier knocks off half the bill with the press of a button when you say you’re eating in. I use freebie/discount apps for groceries and sometimes an item will be offered for free multiple times. The goal is probably to get you into the habit of buying it, but it never works on me. Had literally 10 bottles of a decent lager for free - perfectly enjoyable but would never pay for it. Several cans of the same fizzy drink, all free - loved it, but would only get as part of a meal deal if my five preferred drinks were out of stock (so, never). So I think my mindset may have been affected in a way that the government didn’t intend - maybe I’m in the minority though
I think how you're feeling would make sense if the 50% (or £10) that's getting deducted didn't exist for the cafe/restaurant, but they're claiming it back from the government so they're still getting the full amount you would have paid if the scheme didn't exist.

Tublet83

VIP Member
Not had any issues at all, I’ve avoided national chains (I do anyway) everywhere I have prebooked online and most places near me are saying no walks in must be prebooked only.

Web30

VIP Member
Iv been out today with my daugther and It went really well, the place had an extra nhs discount so under a tenner for the 2 of us! Had to pre book,, one way system round the pub. Felt safe and even though it was busy, was told 35 min wait for food but wasn't that long at all.

Tublet83

VIP Member
It’s all about giving confidence, people are out having a meal and will go shopping, cinema etc while they are there.

30% additional retail footfall the first week it was on!

Kandy floss

I’ve been to Beefy Boys in Hereford on the first day (booked before they announced they were taking part) Miller and Carter last week, KFC Tuesday and going to Viva Brazil on bank holiday Monday 😊 everywhere’s been great so far for social distancing/cleaning but we sat outside in KFC, not sure what they were like inside

Twertle

We went to Hard Rock Cafe in Piccadilly also last week to use the scheme and I 100% would NOT recommend. Just in case anyone was considering ending there next week.

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
Bugger never thought of that. What about Starbucks do they do the same? I dont normally eat in so I dont know.
I'm hoping Starbucks are part of it. If you eat in they put the food item on a plate. I live off their food items for breakfast/lunch when I'm working away and it's on expenses but I'm still on furlough and too mean with myself to spend my own money on them full price :ROFLMAO:

lurker12

Tbh I’ve only used it at a cafe we live 2 doors down from! I can’t be bothered to book a table somewhere as we are a large family. I was tempted to get us all a half price maccies but table room and limited spaces etc I had no idea how that would work.

Ponponpon

VIP Member
I'm getting increasingly annoyed every time I hear "a Rishi dishy" or "cheers Rishi" he ain't paying for this, you and your grandchildren are! It's just part of keeping one of the most unequal developed countries in the world ticking along. Bread and circuses :LOL:
Boris Brunch is another I've heard.

I've not used it anywhere yet as everywhere seems to walk in only and hell will freeze over before myself or any of my family are standing in those lines just for some money off! Germs everywhere. Some of our local takeaways are on it despite not having much, if any, indoor seating and when asked, they say they arent offering it so why is it on govt website? So ridiculous.
It's a company choice whether they take part or not, it's not mandatory for all companies to do it.