Eastenders

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It may sound silly as it is a soap, but I feel really knotted in my stomach knowing this is coming tonight.

I think watching it as a viewer knowing what is coming is worse. There were so many points in last night's episode where you were just mentally screaming at her to raise her voice to her family.

I seriously hope they handle the aftermath with sensitivity and real world application and don't play it for dramatic effect.

To anyone who is in a similar situation. Just get out. Belongings can be replaced. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that is worth more than your life. There are enough organisations, services and kind strangers who will help you with absolutely everything you'll need to set yourself back up again. If you have children, never think that you should stay for them. Witnessing domestic violence is far worse than 'breaking up' a family. Go and be safe.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I was thinking more of he could be a suspect.
Didn’t think of that angle. Interesting possibility and one Grey could easily play on, a ‘strange man’ in their house would seem like a more likely suspect than Grey who has managed to convince almost everyone in the square that he’s a loving husband and doting, hard working father.

Surprised he hasn’t had cameras installed around the house.

Reactions: 6
I don’t get the whole Ruby and Martin thing - it’s her best mates ex and no one seems to bat an eyelid especially Whitney last night giving relationship advice 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 8
I don’t get the whole Ruby and Martin thing - it’s her best mates ex and no one seems to bat an eyelid especially Whitney last night giving relationship advice 🤦🏻‍♀️
I said that last night too - well Stacey is back soon!

Reactions: 2
It may sound silly as it is a soap, but I feel really knotted in my stomach knowing this is coming tonight.

I think watching it as a viewer knowing what is coming is worse. There were so many points in last night's episode where you were just mentally screaming at her to raise her voice to her family.

I seriously hope they handle the aftermath with sensitivity and real world application and don't play it for dramatic effect.

To anyone who is in a similar situation. Just get out. Belongings can be replaced. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that is worth more than your life. There are enough organisations, services and kind strangers who will help you with absolutely everything you'll need to set yourself back up again. If you have children, never think that you should stay for them. Witnessing domestic violence is far worse than 'breaking up' a family. Go and be safe.
It absolutely doesn't sound silly. I hate when people say "its not real, it's only a soap" We are well aware this isn't real but they are portraying real life stories, I was in tears lastnight, she knows and it's heartbreaking that it's come to this and the kids will be there. I don't think I'm emotionally ready for tonight, my stomach is in knots too. I think EE were amazing for letting people know what was going to happen because imagine watching it not knowing and it triggering you? My heart is breaking for Chantelle and her family and all the men and women (and children) suffering through DV right now.

I read in next week's TV guide that Kheerat suggests to Mitch that Chantelle died during an argument so i hope Gray gets his comeuppance. Unfortunately alot of abusers get away with it through lack of evidence and the fact the victims don't (can't) report etc which I worry may be the case.

Yes!! Ruby is a terrible friend. She always wants what Stacey had. Don't forget she was with Max before Martin. Find your own dick, love.

I said that last night too - well Stacey is back soon!
I can't wait for her return! So much has happened in her absence 😂

Screenshot_20200918_135731_com.twitter.android.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I used to watch Eastenders way back, but I fell out of love with it in maybe 2012? I was most into it during the Danielle and Ronnie sort of times.

Started watching it again just to see how it was dealing with lockdown, I definitely don't know half of what's going on but the Chantelle storyline has me intrigued.

Reactions: 3
It absolutely doesn't sound silly. I hate when people say "its not real, it's only a soap" We are well aware this isn't real but they are portraying real life stories, I was in tears lastnight, she knows and it's heartbreaking that it's come to this and the kids will be there. I don't think I'm emotionally ready for tonight, my stomach is in knots too. I think EE were amazing for letting people know what was going to happen because imagine watching it not knowing and it triggering you? My heart is breaking for Chantelle and her family and all the men and women (and children) suffering through DV right now.

I read in next week's TV guide that Kheerat suggests to Mitch that Chantelle died during an argument so i hope Gray gets his comeuppance. Unfortunately alot of abusers get away with it through lack of evidence and the fact the victims don't (can't) report etc which I worry may be the case.

Yes!! Ruby is a terrible friend. She always wants what Stacey had. Don't forget she was with Max before Martin. Find your own dick, love.

I can't wait for her return! So much has happened in her absence 😂

View attachment 246197
Absolutely agree. The didactic power of drama is tremendous and is one of the reason the arts are so important. You can pour all the money into multi level advertising campaigns but having a reach into people's homes is an incredible honour and comes with a lot of responsibility to get it right. Seeing it once removed can make you see a very emotional and subjective situation with the objectivity needed to make a change.

I also hope it prompts conversations between fathers/ mothers and sons/ daughters because early education is so incredibly important.

💖

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Not about eastenders but the bbc showed the drama Murdered by my boyfriend which was a similar theme, also a true story. I found it horrifying and believe it should be shown in year 11 to help open up the topics around domestic abuse/coercive control etc. My 12 year old can handle the concept as she asked questions about the Chantelle storyline.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Not about eastenders but the bbc showed the drama Murdered by my boyfriend which was a similar theme, also a true story. I found it horrifying and believe it should be shown in year 11 to help open up the topics around domestic abuse/coercive control etc. My 12 year old can handle the concept as she asked questions about the Chantelle storyline.
Murdered by my boyfriend the girl who got murdered lived in my town, I remember the clothes shop she worked in put a photo up of her after. Very sad, especially knowing her child was in the house at the time 💔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Oh yes, I remember this. I know I've said it before but I wish there were more things like this with DV against men to help men in the same situation or any young boys /men that see it and experience it feel like it doesn't make them any less of a man and there is help for them.

Domestic Violence as a whole needs to keep being talked about and have more awareness and help but I feel like DV against men still gets brushed away because how could a tiny woman abuse a man, y'know?

• Heart
Oh my gosh. I know we all knew what was going to happen but I didn’t imagine it happening like that. My guess was drowning or stairs. Chantelle really suffered😭 I felt nauseous watching Grey walk around the square and go to the shop & the vic after what he’d done. So cold and creepy. And the children will have heard the whole thing😢

Hopefully it won’t be long till he gets rumbled. Hoping one of the kids tells an adult about all the shouting and the loud crash they will have heard, which should raise questions about Grey’s version of events and open a whole can of worms.

Great acting all round, eastenders have done a good job with this storyline. Can’t wait till next week now.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Really really sad, like others I was actually dreading watching this because I knew what was going to happen!

• Sad
Reactions: 10
So heartbreaking. I'm surprised she died in this way because I thought Gray would have had her drown herself in the tub and then claim she committed suicide. Watching Gray go around the square like nothing was happening genuinely made my skin crawl. I'm thinking as the storyline unfolds Gray will try and pin it on Kheerat. I wonder if it will be concluded officially by Christmas?

I really, really wanted to see Chantelle thrive away from him :(

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Ah, goodness me.

I think it was very well done. We do have cases like we see in the more high profile media coverage where the perpetrator of DA actively seeks out to kill the other person, but I can imagine that in many cases that extra push, hit, violent shove is what results in the victims death. Looking back, having grown up witnessing it, I can see how 'easily' it could escalate to that situation.

This is Chantelle's story and that of her children. I really hope it goes on to show those in her life and the police competently piecing it together. Because just like we needed to see (for the first time in a soap) the possibility of the worst possible outcome for the victim, we equally need to see that justice can be achieved.

Agree that it should definitely be covered more in schools and young people of any sex and gender educated and empowered.

I might just go and watch the classic scene of Frank Butcher naked but for his dickie bow to lighten things up.

💖💖

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I haven’t watched EastEnders in a while, but ended up watching yesterday’s episode and reading about the Chantelle and Gray storyline I then ended up watching today’s episode.
Although it’s fictional you forget that these storylines do happen in real life. This storyline hit home with me as I’ve been there. Obviously the outcome for me was very different! I hope Gray gets found out and that the soap shows that abusers are punished.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I understand them wanting to show how things can end for some women , however I felt the events that led to her death could have been a little more well thought out. For a start who -especially someone who is a parent- puts a really sharp kitchen knife blade upwards in the dish washer. No one that’s who.
I understand they want to play it in a way Gray can argue it was a terrible accident - even though we know the truth. But come on! I’d never put a knife like that in the dish washer to begin with, never mind in that position and it behind left open.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.