Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was going to add her earlier. She was so beautiful too.
Didn’t Sylvia Syms have a daughter who‘s an actress too? Beattie something? I love Dirk Bogarde, brilliant actor…

She was truly a fabulous actress (and has been my longtime avatar on here!)

There's an old film, The Pumpkin Eater, in which she does a fabulously menacing turn. There's a one woman play doing the rounds at the moment all about her later life - it's called The Testament of Yootha and is brilliant.
I watched that quite recently, Anne Bancroft was the lead. Very odd but good…. Yootha wasn’t credited I don’t think, she was a much underrated actress….

Reactions: 7
I have an autobiography to read about Rex Harrison. Apparently he was a bastard. Nobody liked him.

I liked the Stanley Holloway quote on this - I thought Noel C was supposed to have said it rather than SH.
Yes I have never read anything good about Rex Harrison, he seems to have been a thoroughly unpleasant man.

I was reading about Chili Bouchier lately. I'm always intrigued by 1930s cinema stars, she was a British actress back then. She had a bit of a renaissance in the 1990s appearing on tv as one of the "last silent stars" although I believe she exaggerated her own fame somewhat.

I also liked Margaret Lockwood in "The Vanishing Lady", which I watched recently. Another one from the time is Google Withers.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
YIELD TO THE NIGHT

holy tit, @House of Tea ive been wracking my brains about this film for years, I knew it was Diana Dors in a “serious” role and every time I’ve gone to Google it I’ve forgotten why I’m there

I saw it when I was a teen and an absolutely humungous Morrissey/Smiths fan and I really loved it, that and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

THANK YOU
Is that the
The tragedy of her early demise from cancer, followed shortly by her husband's suicide, leaving their child an orphan. Jason Dors Lake himself died prematurely aged 50, alcohol and substance abuse were believed to be a factor.

If Diana had been a cancer survivor, how different everything could have been. She was a very talented, but underrated actress, and marketed as a budget Marilyn Monroe.
She was perfect in Yield to the Night. No make up, no razzamatazz just solid acting. Another great film was Turn The Key Softly starring a really young Joan Collins long before she was famous and made in the 50s I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Jean Kent died after a television fell on her whilst she was having a heart attack? How on earth did I not know that before?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Yes I have never read anything good about Rex Harrison, he seems to have been a thoroughly unpleasant man.

I was reading about Chili Bouchier lately. I'm always intrigued by 1930s cinema stars, she was a British actress back then. She had a bit of a renaissance in the 1990s appearing on tv as one of the "last silent stars" although I believe she exaggerated her own fame somewhat.

I also liked Margaret Lockwood in "The Vanishing Lady", which I watched recently. Another one from the time is Google Withers.
Boogie zithers, such a great name.

This was meant to be Googie Withers. Auto correct had other ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Anybody remember the film no room at the inn,its about wartime England and evacues,it’s extremely powerful.https://www.oldrarefilms.com/no-room-at-the-inn-1948-dvd---freda-jackson--joy-shelton-447-p.asp

Reactions: 1
Another actress from Carry on films I thought was good actress was Liz Fraser,she was in Miss Marple episode Nemesis.

She was beautiful.☺He was handsome when younger wasn’t he,he had few affair,Danny Kaye was one of them.

Reactions: 3
Vivien Leigh had a long term affair with Peter finch and in a Peter finch biography written by his ex wife she said he was upstairs seeing to her (VL) in the bedroom whilst they were all at a party. Cant remember who's house. Peter finch also had a baby with Shirley Bassey also whilst he was married and the girl died in suspicious curcumstances in her 20s?