Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just got me talking pics email..next Saturday earlies sixties film 1964.next Saturday.

This week’s big film premiere is Sidney J. Furie’s 1964 drama The Leather Boyson Saturday at 9.30pm, in which the swift marriage of a young couple begins to crumble after husband Reggie meets a handsome mod. This classic British filmhas a fantastic cast that includes Rita Tushingham, Dudley Sutton, Colin Campbell, Dandy Nichols and Johnny Briggs. Set at the Ace café, there are brilliant locations and a must for bikers!
I love that movie its a classic of early queer cinema 🎥 x

Reactions: 6
Making my way through the "play for today" episodes. Watched a couple starring Anna cropper, bill roach ex wife. She's a joy to watch, brilliant actress.
Loving the plays. Surprised to see names of some writers I recognise such as Ingmar Bergman and Dennis potter but I suppose for some of the writers it was their big break.

Reactions: 4
Loved Kenny - I have read & re-read his diaries many times. A troubled soul but a true original.
I don’t know much apart from the basics- what do you think about his father’s death, was he involved? Do you think Kenneth himself died by suicide?

Reactions: 3
I don’t know much apart from the basics- what do you think about his father’s death, was he involved? Do you think Kenneth himself died by suicide?
His father took his own life. He and Kenneth were not close but nothing to suggest that he was involved from what I’ve understood and read.

Oh - that’s a hard one - he certainly wrote about suicide - but he was such a complex character it’s hard to say. I would highly recommend reading his diaries if you’re interested in finding more out about him. They are quite revealing.

Reactions: 2
His father took his own life. He and Kenneth were not close but nothing to suggest that he was involved from what I’ve understood and read.

Oh - that’s a hard one - he certainly wrote about suicide - but he was such a complex character it’s hard to say. I would highly recommend reading his diaries if you’re interested in finding more out about him. They are quite revealing.
The rumor started in a book about Kenneth a few years back. Basically, because he didn't care his dad was dead, going about as if nothing happened, and with their frosty relationship, the police allegedly suspected him of being the one who put the cleaning fluid in the cough bottle to kill him but it was never proven one way or another.

As for him dying by suicide, the more I read about him, the more I think it was a possibility. There was an old documentary about Carry On which is on YT where one of his friends admitted he had already tried it a few months before his death by taking some pills but changed his mind.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
As for him dying by suicide, the more I read about him, the more I think it was a possibility.
I agree that it's a possibility, although he had increased his dosage of pain, so it could potentially still have been accidental (or perhaps he wanted it to look as such?) His last diary entries are difficult to read and he was obviously very unhappy.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Just got me talking pics email..next Saturday earlies sixties film 1964.next Saturday.

This week’s big film premiere is Sidney J. Furie’s 1964 drama The Leather Boyson Saturday at 9.30pm, in which the swift marriage of a young couple begins to crumble after husband Reggie meets a handsome mod. This classic British filmhas a fantastic cast that includes Rita Tushingham, Dudley Sutton, Colin Campbell, Dandy Nichols and Johnny Briggs. Set at the Ace café, there are brilliant locations and a must for bikers!
What channel / platform please?
---
Can anyone recommend any Decent podcasts about old stars like this forum?
Ideally on spotify. Or stories behind old movies.

There's one I listen to but I can't STAND the woman's voice/ intonation.
sometimes it creeps me out if I fall asleep then wake up and hear her (think it's 'you must remember this ')

Thanks

After her father died she found out she was pregnant and I thought, maybe naively, it would be a happy ending but she split up with her partner he got custody due to her mental health issues and is able to see her 3 days a week.
She had a romance with Gavin Rossdale and lost her virginity to him, the next morning he told her that his girlfriend was moving in later that day. She took an OD and went back to set the next day.
She was close to her father and her mother but they seemed to want different things for her - he wanted her to be academic whereas the mum wanted her to go to Cannes when she was meant to sit her O Levels. Sadly her mother died a few years ago and she says she ‘worries herself half-sick over whether the stress of her separation from Arabelle’s father hastened her mother’s death’.

Thank you for posting that article it’s very interesting 👍

Reactions: 1
Did she play Jane or Helen? Loved Susannah.
She's playing Jane. Tbh I'm finding the adaptation so-so and the visual quality is dreadful (film materials must have degraded). But Susannah is a good actress and the film is an interesting time capsule. Nyree Dawn Porter has just popped up too

Reactions: 4
She's playing Jane. Tbh I'm finding the adaptation so-so and the visual quality is dreadful (film materials must have degraded). But Susannah is a good actress and the film is an interesting time capsule. Nyree Dawn Porter has just popped up too
I love Jane Eyre,older Tv versions are fabulous,when BBC was Brilliant Mrs B.Oh my Nyree,she died quite young didnt she?

Reactions: 1
I love Jane Eyre,older Tv versions are fabulous,when BBC was Brilliant Mrs B.Oh my Nyree,she died quite young didnt she?
Just checking, she was born in 1936 died in 2001.

I'm only in my 30s! but I grew up on old British tv and movies with my dad. I love the 1960s and 1970s music and tv and film

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Loved Susannah in the Pallisters and Nyree in the Forsythe Saga both on YouTube

I might watch the Forsythe Saga next, all the episodes seem to be up on Youtube.
I loved it even though it was black and white Soames was brilliant, wish they made tv like that again instead of reality rubbish that is on now, but that would be wishful thinking.

• Heart