Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved it even though it was black and white Soames was brilliant, wish they made tv like that again instead of reality rubbish that is on now, but that would be wishful thinking.
I'll give it a go...will let you know how it goes. Thanks for recommendation!

Reactions: 2
Great name that - Nyree Dawn Porter. I used to think she was very glamorous. She was in The Protectors too.

Reactions: 5
older Tv versions are fabulous,when BBC was Brilliant
I think a big issue with modern historical programmes is the actors and actresses invariably have had work done and it looks like an anachronism. I hate to say it but often it’s the ladies that are the worst offenders - I couldn’t watch the 10 Pound Poms because Michelle Keegan has so much obvious plastic surgery along with perfect teeth and eyebrows that aren’t of that period. Emily Blunt is verging on going to OTT, in some scenes in The English it was so obvious she had fillers.

Reactions: 7
I think a big issue with modern historical programmes is the actors and actresses invariably have had work done and it looks like an anachronism. I hate to say it but often it’s the ladies that are the worst offenders - I couldn’t watch the 10 Pound Poms because Michelle Keegan has so much obvious plastic surgery along with perfect teeth and eyebrows that aren’t of that period. Emily Blunt is verging on going to OTT, in some scenes in The English it was so obvious she had fillers.
That is so true - Blunt and Keegan looked ridiculously out of context.

I also think adding in an Asian or a black actress into a role where it clearly was not meant to be an actor of that ethnicity (period pieces) is jarring too. It takes you out of the story and into the casting directors mind. What will happen now is someone will say I am being racist etc, which is fine if they want to. Have no issue with using anyone of any background into any role, but only if it fits. If a white person turned up playing what you would think of as an Asian or black role, it would be the same. It stops you being fully absorbed in the story because the casting is an anachronism.

Reactions: 9
I also think adding in an Asian or a black actress into a role where it clearly was not meant to be an actor of that ethnicity (period pieces) is jarring too. It takes you out of the story and into the casting directors mind. What will happen now is someone will say I am being racist etc, which is fine if they want to. Have no issue with using anyone of any background into any role, but only if it fits. If a white person turned up playing what you would think of as an Asian or black role, it would be the same. It stops you being fully absorbed in the story because the casting is an anachronism.
See I think I’m in the minority here because this I don’t mind unless they are doing a documentary (like claiming Cleopatra was black). But then again if a very obvious transgender person was playing a character I would find that very hard to watch and engage with. I guess we all have our own preferences!

Reactions: 1
See I think I’m in the minority here because this I don’t mind unless they are doing a documentary (like claiming Cleopatra was black). But then again if a very obvious transgender person was playing a character I would find that very hard to watch and engage with. I guess we all have our own preferences!
It’s all about staying in the story for me. We are supposed to say, well actors can play anybody, their role is to shapeshift. Glenda Jackson played Hamlet etc. However, that might be a rarefied position those in the arts can reach, but for the average Joe viewer who just wants to immerse themselves in a story, it is introducing another element that detracts from the story. I would choose not to see a woman playing Hamlet on stage, but in tv series you can be watching an historical series and suddenly there is a jolt because the casting director has added in someone who doesn’t fit the character.

You’re absolutely right. I loved The English and am a big fan of Emily Blunt but her face looks very different of late.

It’s all about staying in the story for me. We are supposed to say, well actors can play anybody, their role is to shapeshift. Glenda Jackson played Hamlet etc. However, that might be a rarefied position those in the arts can reach, but for the average Joe viewer who just wants to immerse themselves in a story, it is introducing another element that detracts from the story. I would choose not to see a woman playing Hamlet on stage, but in tv series you can be watching an historical series and suddenly there is a jolt because the casting director has added in someone who doesn’t fit the character.
I think when they change the race, time period or the sex of the characters it’s because previous productions have been done before and they are trying something different. With Glenda Jackson - there have been lots of iterations of Hamlet so I think the producers wanted to do something unique to bring a fresh perspective. I think if this was the first time ever the play (or any adaptation) was performed and they changed the sex, etc, I personally wouldn’t be a fan.

Reactions: 3
I enjoyed Dirk Bogarde's autobiographies. He was a good writer. He bought an olive grove and went to live abroad with his partner. I remember him from the Doctor in the house series.

Reactions: 6
Any Dirk Bogarde fans here?
YESSSSS🙌🙌🙌 love the man :love: fine actor and so attractive. Have you got a fave film mrsB? Mines the servant but the night porter is a very close second. I would have never have known he was gay, all those women he kissed on screen 🔥🔥

Reactions: 4
YESSSSS🙌🙌🙌 love the man :love: fine actor and so attractive. Have you got a fave film mrsB? Mines the servant but the night porter is a very close second. I would have never have known he was gay, all those women he kissed on screen 🔥🔥
Love those films too, plus A Tale of Two Cities, we watched it at school and I was mesmerised by him 😄

Doctor in the House reminded me of Robin Nedwell. He was my weird crush when I was a schoolgirl.

I enjoyed Dirk Bogarde's autobiographies. He was a good writer. He bought an olive grove and went to live abroad with his partner. I remember him from the Doctor in the house series.
He was in that classic film "The Servant"

• Heart
Reactions: 7