Ear piercings

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got my helix pierced 7 months ago. I had no problems with it but last weekend it began to be mildly uncomfortable. I didnt take much notice again until today when I noticed a little bit of crust which I cleaned off. I then spotted a little lump near it. I rang the piercing place and have an appt for Thursday for a checkup. But does any one here know if this is a keloid? Any advice on what to do? I can't remove the earring as I haven't done it before and it's a bit finicky. I had planned to go back soon and ask the piercer to replace the earring with another one I bought recently.

Attachments

Last edited:
I got my helix pierced 7 months ago. I had no problems with it but last weekend it began to be mildly uncomfortable. I didnt take much notice again until today when I noticed a little bit of crust which I cleaned off with. I then spotted a little lump near it. I rang the piercing place and have an appt for Thursday for a checkup. But does any one here know if this is a keloid? Any advise on what to do? I cant remove the earring ad I havent done it before and its a bit finicky. I had planned to go back soon and ask the piercer to replace the earring with another one I bought recently.
I don’t think so. I think keloid is very rare and it shouldn’t developed at 7 months. Maybe just soak it with a warm salt water for a few min?

Reactions: 1
I don’t think so. I think keloid is very rare and it shouldn’t developed at 7 months. Maybe just soak it with a warm salt water for a few min?
Thanks! I used the anti bacterial spray today and and will do a salt water soak later. From googling images of keloids I am not too sure either.

I got my helix pierced 7 months ago. I had no problems with it but last weekend it began to be mildly uncomfortable. I didnt take much notice again until today when I noticed a little bit of crust which I cleaned off with. I then spotted a little lump near it. I rang the piercing place and have an appt for Thursday for a checkup. But does any one here know if this is a keloid? Any advise on what to do? I cant remove the earring ad I havent done it before and its a bit finicky. I had planned to go back soon and ask the piercer to replace the earring with another one I bought recently.
Looks more like an irritation bump to me, i had one on my industrial not so long ago but it went away on its own, just kept up the usual cleaning process and used the neilmeds piercing spray.

Reactions: 2
Looks like an irritation bump, they are super common with all types of piercings. Keloids are rare and unlikely to develop unless you are prone to them (you’d probably know that already). Use saline spray on your piercing twice a day and make sure you don’t sleep on it and only wear titanium jewellery (flat back labrets, no butterfly back earrings). The bump should go away by itself in a couple of weeks if you follow this simple routine.

Reactions: 3
I have had a daith piercing for almost four years now. It took around a year to heal but was worth it for the headache relief. Prontolind spray on Amazon is brilliant for healing and any issues along the way.

I've got three lobe piercings, a helix and my nose. My three lobe piercings were done many years ago with a gun and I had terrible healing problems with the third set which required antibiotics from the doctor in the end.

I went to a proper piercer for my nose and helix. No major problems except that I had a bone in both of them and it came out of my nose piercing at work two days after being done! By the time I got home, the nasal membranes inside were closing so I redid it with a disinfected sewing needle and stuck a gold earrings in it temporarily. Later, I replaced the earring with a silver hoop and it healed with that in; I did the same for the helix. I had a few bumps and mild infections during healing but overall it went well.

I generally wear silver hoops in my ears (not sleepers, but hinged ones which are the same thickness the whole hoop - I get them from Amazon) and either a silver hoop or a stud in my nose. I prefer the L-shaped studs as they are more secure than a bone but I still take the stud out when washing my face as I've lost a couple like that. I get mine from Piercing Mania online.

I'm planning on getting my tragus done on my left ear and perhaps the anti-tragus too. I've left my right ear alone apart from the lobes as I sleep on that side and wear a hearing aid. Though they're now talking about an aid for my left ear so maybe I'd better hurry and get all the piercings done before any mould is made of my left ear!

I'm 61 and also have nine tattoos, some reasonably large.

Reactions: 2
Sorry as I know this thread is for ears,
But for the ones with naval piercings how long did you wait to change the bar?

Online it says 6-12 months but just wondering if anyone did it sooner and all was well?

I’m going on holiday next week and I’m being very inpatient and just find my belly bar that I have in now is so plain and boring. (Had it re-done in January)

Sorry as I know this thread is for ears,
But for the ones with naval piercings how long did you wait to change the bar?

Online it says 6-12 months but just wondering if anyone did it sooner and all was well?

I’m going on holiday next week and I’m being very inpatient and just find my belly bar that I have in now is so plain and boring. (Had it re-done in January)
I know some people changed theirs after 3-4 months and were okay. Mine, however, was very iffy at this stage so I did not take the risk. I suggest you visit your piercer so they can assess it and help you change the bar if it’s okay to change it (make sure you wear only quality titanium jewelry).

Where’s some cool UK piercing studios? There’s so many tattoo ones with amazing decor and great vibes but piercing ones are so plain :)

Where’s some cool UK piercing studios? There’s so many tattoo ones with amazing decor and great vibes but piercing ones are so plain :)
I usually get mine done at Maria tash, although it’s a bit pricey but their customer care is just amazing. I’ve heard astrid and miyu is also quite good. Both based in London although I think they are also in manchester

I usually get mine done at Maria tash, although it’s a bit pricey but their customer care is just amazing. I’ve heard astrid and miyu is also quite good. Both based in London although I think they are also in manchester
Don’t do it in Astrid Miyu. They don’t cover downsizing which is essential for your healing. So you will end up paying as much as going to Maria Tash because you would need to buy the jewellery twice. Of course you can do it in Astrid and buy a jewellery with a shorter bar online and get someone to replace it for you..my point is Astrid is not cheap, no idea why they won’t cover downsizing

In london best one to go to is Seven dials (formally called extreme needle) had all my piercings done there, absolutely lovely team who work there.

I've just been to Metal Morphosis in London! They weren't that friendly :(

• Sad
Does anyone here have their conch done?

I want to know if it interferes with earbuds. I would love to get it done but I think it would make wearing ear buds difficult.

I want to know if it interferes with earbuds. I would love to get it done but I think it would make wearing ear buds difficult.
I do, certain earbuds are more uncomfortable so I had to try out a few different ones but it is possible.

It did take longer to heal than any of my other piercings though because it can get knocked/irritated by earbuds, hair etc

I do

Yes some earbuds are tricky and over ear headphones make it ache after prolonged use.

I had mine done 15 years ago and even now occasionally it will get sore!! Especially if I catch it. Masks were a witch as I kept catching it when I pulled them off and it was red and sore for weeks.

This weekend I have spent about 7 hours with headphones on and it is a bit throbby now.

So even though it is old it is a temperamental little bugger

Yeah I don’t have the balls to get any more cartilage. My helix is over 10 years old and I remember that was a pain to heal :)

Got mine done in 2018 and it's been a great healer for me! I wear over ear headphones daily with no issues and regularly
wear in ear buds too! (Good Karma from having 2 helixes that never healed?! 🤣)
Maybe consider position, mines quite low and in the 'dip' of the conch, so nothing really comes into contact with it. I also sized down to either 8 or 6mm so its a nice snug fit!