Ear piercings

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That sounds great, thank you! Now I just need to find the right earring. Did you get a bar or a hoop, steel/titanium/gold or…? I’ve read bars are preferable for this type of piercings.
Bar. Pick a nice bar so you don’t have to live with an ugly one for 6 months or so. Hahaha I think someone mentioned that it is quite a transition to sleep with a hoop. Few post back

Reactions: 2
That sounds great, thank you! Now I just need to find the right earring. Did you get a bar or a hoop, steel/titanium/gold or…? I’ve read bars are preferable for this type of piercings.
I have my conch and got it done with a titanium barbell (got a lil gem in it to add some sass!) The initial one will be long (usually about 10mm), but once it's healed I downsized to 6mm and it fits perfect!
Just be aware if you wear glasses to try and position it so they don't keep knocking it!

Reactions: 1
I have three lobe piercings and I’m planning to get my conch done. I think they look good together

Can somebody with a conch piercing tell if takes long to heal? Is it a pain to get?
Hey, I’ve got four lives, cartilage, flat and conch.

I have a titanium hoop, healed ok just be careful catching on tops, taking them on and off. I caught by and it was worse than the piercing.The piercing stung but no issues. I used a saline spray, it had a long novel on, just so I didn’t have to keep messing and touching and it was much easier.

The only other thing I would say, get it in the eye you don’t tend to sleep on, it’s not great at the beginning but as I said I have a hoop so probably doesn’t help.

Good luck, it’s worth it when you find a nice earring in your conch.

Did anyone just had their flat pierced, does it hurt when you are wearing a mask? I wanted something like that.

I have three lobe piercings and I’m planning to get my conch done. I think they look good together

Can somebody with a conch piercing tell if takes long to heal? Is it a pain to get?
I had my conch done around 10 years ago. The pain was similar to all cartilage piercings, to me they always feel the same. It’s a sharp pinch then a throbbing afterwards but it’s never unbearable. Mine took about a year to be fully settled and I changed the labret. However it is temperamental and sometimes even now if I wear a ring for a few days it starts to feel sore. Definitely worth it though and it’s probably my favourite piercing. Everyone’s bodies are different though and mine just doesn’t like piercings - currently trying to heal a 4th lobe and my body is like “nah”

Reactions: 5
Thanks a lot both! I’ve already found a new piercing place, now I just have to save up for buy a titanium barbell. As for lobes, what are you wearing in your new piercing@Pixipoppy? When I got extra holes in mine, I first wore studs and wondered why my lobe would not heal and were bleeding. Turns out they were too tight and the healing went way better once I changed to small silver hoops

Last edited:
I just have a plain stud in my lobe but it’s long so there’s room for the swelling - it’s best to let it heal with a straight bar before going to a hoop I think. Just make sure it has room for swelling and healing.

I just have a plain stud in my lobe but it’s long so there’s room for the swelling - it’s best to let it heal with a straight bar before going to a hoop I think. Just make sure it has room for swelling and healing.
Ah that’s all good I think! If it’s a long one it should be fine. Mine were too short and changing them really helped. Hope yours heals soon!

Here’s a tip for anyone else stupid enough to pierce themselves. I’ve pierced my double helix using a sewing needle and the earrings I got when I had my firsts done when I was 12 (I’m now 20). Be aware of how much thicker than normal earrings. I was really struggling to sleep so bought some flat back jewellery from Amazon and, although I got there in the end, it was a struggle to get them in. Obviously going to a professional is ideal, but if you want to do it yourself maybe buy the correct earrings before doing the piercing to save yourself going through twice the pain.
Edit: also properly read the descriptions on Amazon so you know how wide it is (I was fed up at 2am after struggling to get to sleep so didn’t ).

Last edited:
I used sleeper studs (with ice) to pierce my second and third lobe holes and the top of my ear (it's got a proper name now but I can't remember what it is). The lobes were OK but the top one swelled so badly it swallowed the stud. Getting it out was grim. I did have it re-done with a gun at some point which went better, although I don't have it in anymore.

I had mine done at the top with a gun. Mine swelled and swallowed the stud too. I had to get my husband to take it out. It was so painful

I had mine done at the top with a gun. Mine swelled and swallowed the stud too. I had to get my husband to take it out. It was so painful
My advice is to never do anything with a gun. I had my lobes done with it and they were a pain to heal. Gun uses the earring to pierce, it tears your skin instead of making a nice hole. Always use needles or ask your piercer to use them

My advice is to never do anything with a gun. I had my lobes done with it and they were a pain to heal. Gun uses the earring to pierce, it tears your skin instead of making a nice hole. Always use needles or ask your piercer to use them
Yes, I've definitely learned that lesson!

I had to take out one of my extra lobe piercings because it just won’t heal. There is this irritation bump sort of thing that would not go away no matter what I did. I had two holes done at once, the lower one healed very quickly but the upper one didn’t. All very strange, but I suppose the piercer messed up when doing it because when putting the earring in the upper one, I could feel it was done askew instead of perpendicular to the ear (if that makes sense?). Has anyone had a similar problem? I have always thought lobe piercings were easy to heal.

I had my lobes done at Claire’s with a piercing gun and remember having a lot of problems with them when they healing and for about a year after. That was years ago and I’ve never had any issues since though. I did pierce my double helix with a needle and once it stopped hurting I haven’t really had any issues. The top on did get an irritation bump (I tried to put a hoop in when it hadn’t finished healing ) but that went down with time and I used salt water to clean the area. Warm salt water also helps with soreness!