Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Margo_Channing

VIP Member
I got my helix pierced 7 months ago. I had no problems with it but last weekend it began to be mildly uncomfortable. I didnt take much notice again until today when I noticed a little bit of crust which I cleaned off with. I then spotted a little lump near it. I rang the piercing place and have an appt for Thursday for a checkup. But does any one here know if this is a keloid? Any advise on what to do? I cant remove the earring ad I havent done it before and its a bit finicky. I had planned to go back soon and ask the piercer to replace the earring with another one I bought recently.
Looks more like an irritation bump to me, i had one on my industrial not so long ago but it went away on its own, just kept up the usual cleaning process and used the neilmeds piercing spray.

Reactions: 2
I have 3x lobe piercings in both ears and an industrial/scaffold on my left ear, thinking about some kind of cartilage piercing on my right ear to make them look more balanced. I don't really want a second industrial as it took sooo long to heal! Any suggestions what might "go" nicely?
I have three lobe piercings and I’m planning to get my conch done. I think they look good together 🙂

Can somebody with a conch piercing tell if takes long to heal? Is it a pain to get?

Blue Rose

VIP Member
Here’s a tip for anyone else stupid enough to pierce themselves. I’ve pierced my double helix using a sewing needle and the earrings I got when I had my firsts done when I was 12 (I’m now 20). Be aware of how much thicker than normal earrings. I was really struggling to sleep so bought some flat back jewellery from Amazon and, although I got there in the end, it was a struggle to get them in. Obviously going to a professional is ideal, but if you want to do it yourself maybe buy the correct earrings before doing the piercing to save yourself going through twice the pain.
Edit: also properly read the descriptions on Amazon so you know how wide it is (I was fed up at 2am after struggling to get to sleep so didn’t 😅).

Last edited:

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Just two. I have them since I was about 6 or 7. I was planning to get my nose done earlier this year along with another tattoo, but lockdown obviously put a stop to that. I'll get it done sometime in the future. Next year hopefully.

rlouisep9

VIP Member
How do you rate the pain for all your piercing? Was daith piercing scary? I am trying to do one ear at a time, so I can sleep properly at night
I didn't find my daith too bad, I do have quite a high pain threshold though. I got it pierced with a ring though and as others have said, go for a bar as the healing is much better. It wasn't painful as such but took forever to heal until I changed to a bar as the ring moved around too much and kept getting irritated.

Lord Voldemort

I recently got my 2nd lobes, a helix and a flat. They seem to be healing well.
I want to change the lobe earrings, do we think 8 weeks is enough?

Geranium

VIP Member
Know this is an old thread, I’ve got one piercing in my earlobes and really want some more! I have a two questions: which was the least painful and healed the fastest (I do badly with pain)! And which one looks the cutest? I’ve heard some people can’t sleep on the ear they got pierced so I’m doing one side and after that heals, the other
My favourite piercing is my tragus. I had it done with a needle, it didn’t hurt and healed fast. I have another cartridge piercing near the top of my ear which took ages to heal and still plays up occasionally.

• Heart
These days I've got two in each lobe. I used to have three in each lobe and the top of my ear done. Apart from the first ones which were done with a gun, I did the rest in my bedroom as a teenager with a sleeper stud and an ice cube. Makes me wince now.
I didn't really have enough space for the third lobe one so one side always felt really sore and the top one always had a lump by it and was uncomfortable to sleep on.

I have a tragus and a rook. The rook was the most recent and has put me off ear piercings forever tbh, it took SO long to heal and was so incredibly painful. It’s fine now but I had to sleep on one side for about a year!

never had any problems with the other ones, I even pierced my second lobes parent trap-style in my bedroom when I was about 13 and they turned out fine 😂 would not recommend!

Blurp

VIP Member
I've got three lobe piercings, a helix and my nose. My three lobe piercings were done many years ago with a gun and I had terrible healing problems with the third set which required antibiotics from the doctor in the end.

I went to a proper piercer for my nose and helix. No major problems except that I had a bone in both of them and it came out of my nose piercing at work two days after being done! By the time I got home, the nasal membranes inside were closing so I redid it with a disinfected sewing needle and stuck a gold earrings in it temporarily. Later, I replaced the earring with a silver hoop and it healed with that in; I did the same for the helix. I had a few bumps and mild infections during healing but overall it went well.

I generally wear silver hoops in my ears (not sleepers, but hinged ones which are the same thickness the whole hoop - I get them from Amazon) and either a silver hoop or a stud in my nose. I prefer the L-shaped studs as they are more secure than a bone but I still take the stud out when washing my face as I've lost a couple like that. I get mine from Piercing Mania online.

I'm planning on getting my tragus done on my left ear and perhaps the anti-tragus too. I've left my right ear alone apart from the lobes as I sleep on that side and wear a hearing aid. Though they're now talking about an aid for my left ear so maybe I'd better hurry and get all the piercings done before any mould is made of my left ear!

I'm 61 and also have nine tattoos, some reasonably large.

yankydoo

Chatty Member
I'd love to get new one too but will join the club of not knowing what I want and also really can't be bothered for the pain and healing process

jaymie

VIP Member
That sounds great, thank you! 😌 Now I just need to find the right earring. Did you get a bar or a hoop, steel/titanium/gold or…? I’ve read bars are preferable for this type of piercings.
Bar. Pick a nice bar so you don’t have to live with an ugly one for 6 months or so. Hahaha I think someone mentioned that it is quite a transition to sleep with a hoop. Few post back

• Heart
I had mine done at the top with a gun. Mine swelled and swallowed the stud too. I had to get my husband to take it out. It was so painful
My advice is to never do anything with a gun. I had my lobes done with it and they were a pain to heal. Gun uses the earring to pierce, it tears your skin instead of making a nice hole. Always use needles or ask your piercer to use them 🙂