Dry January 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rather than dry January why don’t you focus on trying to cut down. Alternate between alcoholic and soft drinks when you want to have something. Or force yourself to only have one drink an hour when you ideally crave it. Cutting down is still an absolutely massive achievement when it’s something you find hard. It may not be advisable to stop altogether for your mental well being x
This ⬆ - sometimes going cold turkey on something can do more harm than good - don't put yourself under too much pressure! Sending you lots of support

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Dry Jan turned into 5 years dry for me, back drinking for a while now, the beer fear fucks me up and I'm quitting for good 👍

Reactions: 9
Rather than dry January why don’t you focus on trying to cut down. Alternate between alcoholic and soft drinks when you want to have something. Or force yourself to only have one drink an hour when you ideally crave it. Cutting down is still an absolutely massive achievement when it’s something you find hard. It may not be advisable to stop altogether for your mental well being x
Thank you for your kind words. There's another thread on here called "Alcoholism", which I've just posted too.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I am honestly looking forward to a month without the beer fear. I get such awful anxiety!
I just talk utter shite when I've had too many and make arrangements I instantly regret the following day. I like being a lockdown hermit so why the hell I agree to go out for dinner/days out (when we were allowed) etc I don't know!

• Haha
I am doing 'cut down' January rather than dry January. As others have admitted, I drank way too much in 2020, mainly due to lockdown. I need to cut down and managed with no booze 28, 29, 30 Dec and then a bit on 30th and 31st. None yesterday but planning wine later and then nothing until next Friday. 3pm is my itch as it's usually when I finish my housework on a Sunday and think I will pour myself a wine to reward myself. I do find reading a really good book helps quell the urge, plus knowing I will sleep really well. Big hot baths are a nice distraction too. None of us should beat ourselves up or lecture, just encourage to do what we can xx

Reactions: 8
Do feel like it's extra hard starting this on a weekend 🤣 the witching hour definitely starts earlier Sat/Sun. Boyfriend is watching total shite (World's Strongest Man 😂) so I'm going to go and read my book for an hour!

I'm with everyone who makes ridiculous plans drinking. I have even booked flights before now. That is not good beer fear when you're frantically checking you got all the details right, of which I have not on one occasion and booked the return date a month later than I wanted 😂 luckily there was a 24 hour grace period and they cancelled/changed it for free 😂 my family live overseas and missing them sometimes gets the better of me and I'm right on Google Flights with my credit card out booking a spontaneous trip. Lockdown has at least sadly put a stop to that one 🙄

Reactions: 6
Hi! I’m joining too! Didn’t drink yesterday as I felt like crap from New Years. Like others I’ve drunk way too much over lockdown. Never drank at home until I moved in with my partner 4 years ago, then it’s slowly crept in as it feels more social to drink with him. I still used to do a few booze free nights a week until lockdown and then it’s slowly crept up.

i was furloughed in April so was the next door neighbour who we’re very friendly with (they live alone and now wfh and weren’t mixing with others at all, nor were we until the rules permitted in late summer. None of us saw any family/other friends from March to July and only met outside for the first few weeks like an odd summer holiday; not still doing this now! So transmitting risk was low) so that turned to sunshine drinks in the garden most afternoons evenings and bbqs once my partner finished working (from home).

I returned to work in June but able to wfh entirely so a 5.30 gin and tonic to separate the work dat from from our evening time became a fast habit so we kept drinking every day. It’s got slightly earlier with the light fading too. I don’t tend to drink after dinner, but do with dinner so I do have a stop button but I know the levels were drinking at can be really ill advised for a women and it’s now such a deep habit I don’t want to end up reliant on drink; I’ve seen the impact that has on a family member and a friend with an alcoholic parent. We can easily drink 3-4 double ‘s before/ with dinner at about 19.30ish. Most days it’s 2 or 3 drinks, but some nights we go silly and do cocktails and mix drinks and get carried away; that’s maybe once a month but it does really affect my sleep and I feel so groggy, crap, anxious and grumpy the next day.

I want to find the motivation to start running once it’s warmer but i know I won’t get up early to do it, and if it’s a choice between a 5.30pm run or tipple I know which I’ll pick at the moment! So reducing my intake will hopefully make that choice easier when the weather improves, and can have one or two a few days a week but not 3 every night. In short started some silly habits that I want to break. I already want a drink as my body is telling me its time but I won’t 💪

I think the biggest tell I’m unhappy with my drinking is that if most of my friends/family asked id feel uncomfortable sharing the truth with them, to the point I might lie twist the truth or downplay it but no one really asks. Does anyone else feel like that about their drinking?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Today was my day 1 as we celebrated New Year on the 1st. I stopped drinking completely for about 6 months years ago and have been toying with cutting it out completely again, aside from maybe a drink with a nice meal out. I cant deal with the anxiety the next day, its so hard for me.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone else feel like that about their drinking?
I totally play it down and have been trying to be more honest with them and myself about it! Alcohol issues run in my family so I’m usually extremely restrained and controlled, but do have anxiety when I’ve overindulged.

this year I’ve noticed really playing down drinking, I haven’t gone so far as to conceal it, but it’s a slippery slope I’m conscious of. It feels insane that I’m anticipating a struggle to not drink for a whole week, when previously I wouldn’t have thought twice.

Super grateful for this thread to discuss though! Hope you are all feeling ok!

• Heart
Had a dream last night I ruined it by having a couple of beers in a pub and was really disappointed in myself, woke up like phew 🤣

Interested to see if I have any weight loss from this. I eat well except from a weekly takeaway but I’d say recently I’ve been having a good 3000 extra calories a week from booze!

Reactions: 4
I found last night difficult as I drink a lot every Saturday night but once it got to 10pm it was OK.
Hoping now that I’ve managed the first Saturday night I’ll be able to do it 🤞

• Heart
For me, next weekend will be the test; as I would normally have a drink after a week of work.
I will watch Risky Drinking documentary on YouTube as a motivator.
I am also combining this with healthy eating.
Just started watching Lose a stone in 21 days with Dr Michael Moseley on C4 catch-up.
It is about people who have put on weight during lockdown through eating and drinking.
Apparently, sales of alcohol doubled during the first lockdown!!!
Good luck all!

Reactions: 5
I'm starting from today, being on furlough from March has caused a lot more alcohol to be drank than normal 🙄

I had been drinking from Christmas Eve to News Year Eve. Before that I had a few glasses of wine at the weekend. Starting Dry January on a normal drinking day for me felt difficult to do. I am on furlough and drinking was my little treat for the week. I am sticking to Dry January because I did drink a lot over Christmas. I will do this 🙌 🙌

Quite stressed today with another lockdown looming. Thinking about a drink a lot to chill out but luckily I have none in the house so will stay strong and stick to it.

• Heart
Have a nice cup of tea and get a blanket round you! You’ve got this!

I’ve also been finding solace in extreeeeemely cheesy movies instead of settling down for a few drinks. I’ve also got my cookbooks out and am planning to cook from one x2 a week to give me something to focus on in the evenings

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Quite stressed today with another lockdown looming. Thinking about a drink a lot to chill out but luckily I have none in the house so will stay strong and stick to it.
I am the same, spoke to my boss this morning. I’ve been furloughed again until March and possibly April. My situation could be a lot worse but I feel like I just exist for no reason at the moment. Had a word with myself to stay strong and that feeling like a failure if I give up now will only make me feel worse!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.