Dry January 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Day 1- got home from a walk mind afternoon. My other half “I’m going to have some cheese and port.... want some?”

It’s gonna be a long month

Reactions: 7
Evening , how’s everyone feeling?

Does anyone have a Witching Hour where you’re more likely to pour a drink?, mine’s 5-6 pm and when I’m past that I don’t give it a second thought . The evening meal prep is underway at that time and I usually pour a drink so I had an alcohol free Moretti tonight and it did hit the spot , first day is crossed off(y) .

Hope everyone’s ok.
9pm be my problem 🙏

Reactions: 1
My witching hour is about 4.30-6.30 or ‘early doors’, it’s honestly engrained, both my parents always have a drink at this time, when I was a kid my dad would be at the pub and my mum would be having a gin/wine whilst making tea. It’s just way too normal to me!

Made it through Day 1 🥳 usually I don’t count NYD and then just never stick to it but I’m feeling like this time is gonna be different. I had an opened bottle of Prosecco in the fridge which I got my boyfriend to drink so it wasn’t wasted 🤣 he said he’s going to do Dry Jan with me from today. We’ll see 🤣

Evening , how’s everyone feeling?

Does anyone have a Witching Hour where you’re more likely to pour a drink?, mine’s 5-6 pm and when I’m past that I don’t give it a second thought . The evening meal prep is underway at that time and I usually pour a drink so I had an alcohol free Moretti tonight and it did hit the spot , first day is crossed off(y) .

Hope everyone’s ok.
Am starting to struggle already!

Am trying alternative soft-drinks, but its not really working, not helped with the ongoing ban on drinking booze in this country :(

So glad I found this thread. I’ve just downloaded the app. I really wanted a drink last night but there wasn’t any wine open so I didn’t want to open one as it wouldn’t have been just one glass! I had such a good sleep I’m delighted I didn’t have one now. Like many of you I’ve gotten into the habit of having a drink every evening while getting dinner ready and my body was waiting for one last night, it’s scary how it gets in your head.
Well done all, great to have the extra support here.

Reactions: 8
So glad I found this thread. I’ve just downloaded the app. I really wanted a drink last night but there wasn’t any wine open so I didn’t want to open one as it wouldn’t have been just one glass! I had such a good sleep I’m delighted I didn’t have one now. Like many of you I’ve gotten into the habit of having a drink every evening while getting dinner ready and my body was waiting for one last night, it’s scary how it gets in your head.
Well done all, great to have the extra support here.
I am also feeling good for a decent night’s sleep! If I have a drink I’ll fall asleep very quickly, my boyfriend works shifts and has to get up sometimes at 3am so I’ll wake up then and not get back to sleep for ages or not at all. If I haven’t had a drink sometimes I don’t even hear his alarm 🤣

When we first went on lockdown back in March and we were both furloughed, we felt kind of in holiday mode and we’re drinking every night whereas before that it would usually only be at the weekend, then it just became really difficult to kick the habit over the following weeks especially with the good weather and sitting in the garden on an evening. It’s not been every night of late except over Christmas but I’d say at least 3/7 days drinking at least a bottle of wine. The stupid thing is before lockdown I hardly ever drank wine, if I go to the pub it’s pints of lager or IPA 😂

Really glad I found this thread it’s been good to read other people’s experiences drinking wise in 2020, I definitely drank way more than usual.

Gonna pick up some non alcohol beers today 😊 when I was in Tesco the other day I saw non alcoholic gin for £20+, what is all that about?! 🤣

Reactions: 3
Glad I found this thread. I’m doing dry jan but starting from Monday (I know 🙄) The thing is tho I drink at home I rarely go out so tier 4 isn’t going to help. I don’t over drink, I have an off switch but I drink too fast and I only drink vodka. I’m aiming to extend this dry month to a year and possibly forever. I’ve bought the book the naked mind and I’m hopeful that it will completely change the way I think about alcohol. The main one being, how do I have fun without alcohol? The last few years holidays have been fuelled by starting the day at 6am with a vodka. Saying that I’ve never been hammered I just keep myself pleasantly tipsy the whole time. No responsibilities on hols after all. The last year for me has been particularly bad with weight gain. I’m classed as severely obese and I’ve developed several health problems because of it. I feel awful most days, so heavy, nothing fits etc and only I can sort it out. So hopefully starting with being dry for a month will kick start my new and healthier lifestyle. Good luck everyone 🤞🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Good morning! Woke up feeling fresh for the first time in as long as I can remember :unsure:

I've put all the remaining booze out in the garage to avoid temptation and planning to take the dogs out on a nice long walk later.

Hope everyone is well :D

Good morning! Woke up feeling fresh for the first time in as long as I can remember :unsure:

I've put all the remaining booze out in the garage to avoid temptation and planning to take the dogs out on a nice long walk later.

Hope everyone is well :D
How do you have the willpower to not drink while it’s in the house? We never usually keep alcohol in, just buy it as and when. That’s why I’m starting Monday to get rid of the Christmas booze. Funny thing is my husband drinks anything and if his whisky, brandy, beers etc are left I won’t even be tempted

Reactions: 2
I downloaded the app. I did tip nearly a full bottle of prosecco away on NewYears Eve. I had to open another for a toast to the New Year :ROFLMAO:
January is going to be a tough month for me. I am furloughed until? Possible April. I might need something to look forward to. Then I thought it's just a month. I am sticking to this Dry January.

Reactions: 6
How do you have the willpower to not drink while it’s in the house? We never usually keep alcohol in, just buy it as and when. That’s why I’m starting Monday to get rid of the Christmas booze. Funny thing is my husband drinks anything and if his whisky, brandy, beers etc are left I won’t even be tempted
I'm quite determined when I set my mind to something. I know the first two weeks are going to be such a struggle, especially Monday evening when I get back from work...

I've printed out a 'Change a habit in 30 days' sheet and will mark off each day I go without a drink. I can be quite competitive so it's like having a competition against myself 🤪

Still got ale and whisky in the house for my partner as he has no inclination to stop - I'm not a fan of either so won't be tempted (I hope!)

Reactions: 6
I'm quite determined when I set my mind to something. I know the first two weeks are going to be such a struggle, especially Monday evening when I get back from work...

I've printed out a 'Change a habit in 30 days' sheet and will mark off each day I go without a drink. I can be quite competitive so it's like having a competition against myself 🤪

Still got ale and whisky in the house for my partner as he has no inclination to stop - I'm not a fan of either so won't be tempted (I hope!)
That chart sounds a good idea, I’ll have a look for one. Once I get into something I can stick with it, the first weekend will be hard even more so that the gym is not open for me to distract myself with.

Reactions: 4
Well me and my husband went to sleep at about 4am (jan 1st) haha so I don’t know if 1st jan is technically allowed to be counted in my tally. I was throwing my guts up all day yesterday. My hangovers are absolutely horrific. I’m really looking forward to doing dry jan now, I feel mentally ready for it which is not something I’ve ever felt before in order to do dry jan.

I downloaded the app. I did tip nearly a full bottle of prosecco away on NewYears Eve. I had to open another for a toast to the New Year :ROFLMAO:
January is going to be a tough month for me. I am furloughed until? Possible April. I might need something to look forward to. Then I thought it's just a month. I am sticking to this Dry January.
I feel your pain. I have been furloughed since April and don’t start a new job until feb. I have been using my Saturdays as a day to look forward to and have a blow out. Definitely need to find other things to look forward to instead!

Am starting to struggle already!

Am trying alternative soft-drinks, but its not really working, not helped with the ongoing ban on drinking booze in this country :(
Afternoon , how are you feeling?

No judgement from me , I know how hard it is to change one’s mind set and if you need a drink and it’s causing you stress not having one then have one.

Afternoon , how are you feeling?

No judgement from me , I know how hard it is to change one’s mind set and if you need a drink and it’s causing you stress not having one then have one.
To be honest I feel like tit!

I have become irritable, moody and just totally negative, not only to my parents, but my g/f and one or two friends.

I need a drink, and if it means going about it illegally then so be it. Perhaps this thread is inappropriate for me because I know I won't be able to last until the end of January.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I have become irritable, moody and just totally negative, not only to my parents, but my g/f and one or two friends.

I need a drink, and if it means going about it illegally then so be it. Perhaps this thread is inappropriate for me because I know I won't be able to last until the end of January.
Rather than dry January why don’t you focus on trying to cut down. Alternate between alcoholic and soft drinks when you want to have something. Or force yourself to only have one drink an hour when you ideally crave it. Cutting down is still an absolutely massive achievement when it’s something you find hard. It may not be advisable to stop altogether for your mental well being x

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Don’t feel you can’t be part of the thread, it’s about being supportive towards each other and readdressing our relationship with booze.

Rather than dry January why don’t you focus on trying to cut down. Alternate between alcoholic and soft drinks when you want to have something. Or force yourself to only have one drink an hour when you ideally crave it. Cutting down is still an absolutely massive achievement when it’s something you find hard. It may not be advisable to stop altogether for your mental well being x
Great post.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.