Dry January 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm still on dry Jan. I had a few wines at the beginning of the month. Currently on a new year, new me hype. I normally drink 3 bottles a week. The hardest think is knowing ive got 8 bottles of wine chilling in the garage 😳
8 bottles of wine :love: Well done for resisting 👏

Still going here. Been so tired this week I haven’t craved anything. It helps I don’t have any booze in the house at the moment I think. My sleep has been rubbish though and I’ve been struggling to get off to sleep but once asleep the quality of sleep is better I guess.
I am sleeping fine. .. But I do wake with up with a light headache? Not sure if I am sleeping too deep now? I really miss my wine tonight. I've had some orange squash 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I’m glad I’ve found this thread. I drank too much New Year’s Day. Had a huge meltdown and felt so ashamed the next day I knew I had to make an effect to stop. My marriage has ended and I was hiding behind drink BUT apart from a couple of glasses last Monday I’ve not had anything else. I am sleeping better and don’t wake up full of anxiety anymore. I could never have a couple of glasses, it was always the bottle and then some. This is where I know I’ll struggle - stopping at a couple - but I remember how horrible drinking makes me feel. It’s not worth it!
We are so glad you found us! This has been my favourite thread. It’s so positive and supportive. I was the same. I drank copious amounts on nye and I did the same last weekend and was consumed with that awful guilt but do you know what? It doesn’t make us bad people, it doesn’t define us. We owe it to ourselves, especially in these times, to do things to make ourselves happy. Sometimes taking a step back and actually looking at the bigger picture really helps and it sounds like every single one of us is going to take some lessons from this. Will I stop drinking? No waaaaay. Will I try my hardest to cut down? Yes deffo. Will I always manage it, definitely not. Even though I got wasted last Saturday I haven’t touched a drop for the rest of the month and I can genuinely see and feel the health benefits. It’s definitely making me more considerate of drinking! Don’t beat yourself up over your melt down, your only human and going through a rough time. We’ve all had our moments I’m sure... I certainly bloody have. I hope you are getting into a better place after your marriage ending. And well done for not drinking. X

8 bottles of wine :love: Well done for resisting 👏

I am sleeping fine. .. But I do wake with up with a light headache? Not sure if I am sleeping too deep now? I really miss my wine tonight. I've had some orange squash 😂
I have the same issue. I also wake up KNACKERED. I think I’m in such deep deep sleep which is something I am not used to at all. I might wear my Fitbit tonight and see what my score is.

Reactions: 6
Happy Saturday all, how are you feeling about this weekend on the wagon? I’m still managing to stay off the booze but Friday and Saturday nights are definitely a trigger. I think it’s because I always thought of alcohol as a reward for getting to the end of the working week, and as a way to unwind/let off stream/have fun on the weekend.

Had a couple of pints of Diet Coke last night which I’d usually use as a mixer but not been drinking much and found my heart was racing when I came to bed. Think I may have OD’d on the caffeine as I don’t drink anything else that has it in. Another good reason to cut back in the future.

Happy Saturday all, how are you feeling about this weekend on the wagon? I’m still managing to stay off the booze but Friday and Saturday nights are definitely a trigger. I think it’s because I always thought of alcohol as a reward for getting to the end of the working week, and as a way to unwind/let off stream/have fun on the weekend.

Had a couple of pints of Diet Coke last night which I’d usually use as a mixer but not been drinking much and found my heart was racing when I came to bed. Think I may have OD’d on the caffeine as I don’t drink anything else that has it in. Another good reason to cut back in the future.
I’ve moved to caffeine free Diet Coke which I’ve found makes a difference the sleeping- I actually prefer it now too.

Reactions: 5
Back at the vets this morning guys 😢 he took a turn for the worst last night panting like a dog and wasn’t moving again this morning so they said to bring him straight in. The vet’s checked him over and I’ve been sent back with steroids. As soon as we got in though he’s gone straight for his food and is walking around so it’s all just very confusing. I know someone through work who is a vet, she’s further afield but I am tempted to see if I can take him for a second opinion before we launch into what the vet we’ve been seeing has said is the next step which is a bunch more tests and scans which will bankrupt me. My car is in for new discs and pads next week which doesn’t help! God it never rains but it pours. I feel like drinking on Thursday has affected me mentally and I’m not dealing with this very well anymore. I keep having to remind myself that it’s just a comfort blanket basically and doesn’t make anything better. Just feel so stressed. It’s practically pitch black here and snowing like the clappers too which is just making everything feel even more hopeless!

I’ve laid in bed awake all night before now after drinking Diet Coke if I’ve been the designated driver thinking what is the point! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Back at the vets this morning guys 😢 he took a turn for the worst last night panting like a dog and wasn’t moving again this morning so they said to bring him straight in. The vet’s checked him over and I’ve been sent back with steroids. As soon as we got in though he’s gone straight for his food and is walking around so it’s all just very confusing. I know someone through work who is a vet, she’s further afield but I am tempted to see if I can take him for a second opinion before we launch into what the vet we’ve been seeing has said is the next step which is a bunch more tests and scans which will bankrupt me. My car is in for new discs and pads next week which doesn’t help! God it never rains but it pours. I feel like drinking on Thursday has affected me mentally and I’m not dealing with this very well anymore. I keep having to remind myself that it’s just a comfort blanket basically and doesn’t make anything better. Just feel so stressed. It’s practically pitch black here and snowing like the clappers too which is just making everything feel even more hopeless!

I’ve laid in bed awake all night before now after drinking Diet Coke if I’ve been the designated driver thinking what is the point! 😂
Oh @SpiceWeasel I'm so sorry :( it's so worrying isn't it! Have the vets said what they think might be causing it? Second opinions are always worth getting, at least for your peace of mind. It's not true of all vets but I do find some are very scan happy....Sending healing thoughts!

If having a drink will help, nobody will judge. Equally if you know it's only a temporary crutch that will make you feel worse afterwards, power through!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@SpiceWeasel sorry to hear about your cat, but definitely worth getting a second opinion if you’re concerned. No point in committing yourself to more costly tests without being sure they’re needed or will help.

• Heart
Thanks guys ❤ they still aren’t 100% what the actual problem is. The vet thinks it’s neurological which is why he wants to refer him, but like you have said I want a second opinion before I proceed. I’m going to see how we get on over the weekend first. It’s been causing friction between my boyfriend and I too now as he thinks the vets aren’t doing their job properly to find out what’s wrong 🙄 I’m like oh right didn’t see you qualifying as a vet with your 3 D’s and a U or whatever it was you left secondary school with. I’m sure the vet is doing all he can it’s just a very difficult case.

I’m going to try and get him comfy on the sofa and go out for a walk to try and clear my head. I’m going to try my best not to have a drink as I think it’s only going to be detrimental. I don’t have anything in so I’ll have to actually go out and buy it which will stop me. Feel like I’ve jinxed his recovery by celebrating prematurely on Thursday!

• Heart

So sorry to hear about your cat :cry:I would get that second opinion. When they go for their food that's a good sign. Eating food sounds positive. I hope everything goes ok. ♥

• Heart

I am so sorry to hear this. My cats at my kids so I understand how horrendous you must be feeling. Particularly not knowing. I’ve seen you post on the running thread, for what it’s worth I find that any time I need to clear my mind I just go out for a run or cycle and it gives me that temporary relief, particularly if I have had that awful anxious feeling. I know you can’t go out due to snow but try a hone work out maybe, some yoga or do some sewing.

God my husband and I drink a 1.5 litre bottle every night without fail. I have an awful addiction to it. Running theme here lol!

ETA - I’m sure the vets have though of this, but do you have any house plants that could potentially be toxic he could’ve got his hands on?x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am so sorry to hear this. My cats at my kids so I understand how horrendous you must be feeling. Particularly not knowing. I’ve seen you post on the running thread, for what it’s worth I find that any time I need to clear my mind I just go out for a run or cycle and it gives me that temporary relief, particularly if I have had that awful anxious feeling. I know you can’t go out due to snow but try a hone work out maybe, some yoga or do some sewing.

God my husband and I drink a 1.5 litre bottle every night without fail. I have an awful addiction to it. Running theme here lol!

ETA - I’m sure the vets have though of this, but do you have any house plants that could potentially be toxic he could’ve got his hands on?x
I have a couple of episodes of a series to catch up on so I’m going to get the exercise bike out and watch them while I’m on there and hopefully get some endorphins going 😊 I really need to try harder I just hate home workouts, I get way too hot, I need to be in the gym with the A/C lol. Really miss running but I’m just so bloody accident prone it’s not a good idea!!

We don’t have any new houseplants just ones which have always been here, mainly cactus as I am so bad at keeping anything else alive haha!

He’s sleeping now rather than just staring into space which I’m happy about ❤ Like you say it’s just the not knowing! He’s an otherwise healthy nearly 7 year old so it’s just come out of nowhere.

Despite the reasons it’s been mentioned I really want a Diet Coke now 🤣 I was a strange child who didn’t like fizzy drinks and only grew to like them as I got older so they’re one of the only things I don’t have a problem with mass consumption of 🤣

Reactions: 1
I’m still going, not long now. No weight loss or anything, unfortunately, partially because I’ve developed this passion for M&S’s hot cross buns with chilli and cheese. Sorry to hear about your pet kiddies girls, hope they are getting better. ❤💙

• Heart
Husband is on the wine. Was painful to watch at first as I love a big glass of red but after half an hour my desire subsided. Also we just had a huge Chinese...what sort of lunatic has red wine with a Chinese.

I haven’t lost a single pound either hahah.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Still going strong here! Even managed a family group zoom with everyone heavily drinking and how they can't understand why anyone wants to do dry jan....I just sat quite happily with my peppermint tea 🥰

I actually can't get over how much better I feel not drinking.

I don't think I have lost weight but my face did look less fat on the zoom camera.

Still going strong here also... slightly worried that I will go straight back to my old habits as soon as Jan is over. I seem to be an "all or nothing" kinda gal when it comes to booze. Envious of these people that can just have a glass and leave it at that. I often cant even leave it at a bottle 😔

Still going strong here also... slightly worried that I will go straight back to my old habits as soon as Jan is over. I seem to be an "all or nothing" kinda gal when it comes to booze. Envious of these people that can just have a glass and leave it at that. I often cant even leave it at a bottle 😔
I’m gonna keep going with the nothing attitude, save the money up for when I can get back out to pubs etc with pals!

• Heart
To be honest after having a drink on Thursday and regretting it because of the bad sleep, change in mood and brain fog I am quite happy now to try and continue not having a drink well into February. Saturdays I usually struggle as I find Saturday night TV just mind numbingly boring, but last night we watched a film and I was quite happy doing that then going to bed with my book. It’s the second book from the Tattle book club and I’m loving it!! My boyfriend was working really early this morning though so we wouldn’t have drank anyway.
Thought I was dreaming but around 6am my kitty came up into the bedroom meowing and doing his usual inspection of our wardrobe he insists on doing then hopped up on the bed and purred in my face then slept with me til 7.30 😻💕 he’s a lot more lively this morning and has had some food. Just trying not to get my hopes up too much again too soon.

Now for the weekly Sunday struggle of cooking the roast and reaching out blindly for a non existent glass of wine 🤣

Well done everyone for doing this but obviously a massive well done to those of you who have stuck it out completely, just think you will have completed the full 31 days a week today!! You must be so proud 💕 I can’t believe how much better I feel from this experience, I genuinely thought I’d spend the entire time gagging for a drink and not feeling any benefit.

On the weight front I have lost a grand total of 3lbs but I’m still 1lb off what I weighed before Christmas 🤣 my aim for this year is to make it over to see my family in the US and actually want to be in the photos!!!

• Heart
To be honest after having a drink on Thursday and regretting it because of the bad sleep, change in mood and brain fog I am quite happy now to try and continue not having a drink well into February. Saturdays I usually struggle as I find Saturday night TV just mind numbingly boring, but last night we watched a film and I was quite happy doing that then going to bed with my book. It’s the second book from the Tattle book club and I’m loving it!! My boyfriend was working really early this morning though so we wouldn’t have drank anyway.
Thought I was dreaming but around 6am my kitty came up into the bedroom meowing and doing his usual inspection of our wardrobe he insists on doing then hopped up on the bed and purred in my face then slept with me til 7.30 😻💕 he’s a lot more lively this morning and has had some food. Just trying not to get my hopes up too much again too soon.

Now for the weekly Sunday struggle of cooking the roast and reaching out blindly for a non existent glass of wine 🤣

Well done everyone for doing this but obviously a massive well done to those of you who have stuck it out completely, just think you will have completed the full 31 days a week today!! You must be so proud 💕 I can’t believe how much better I feel from this experience, I genuinely thought I’d spend the entire time gagging for a drink and not feeling any benefit.

On the weight front I have lost a grand total of 3lbs but I’m still 1lb off what I weighed before Christmas 🤣 my aim for this year is to make it over to see my family in the US and actually want to be in the photos!!!
Do you know what? That’s exactly our issue too. Saturday tv is so mind numbing and we used tov end up binge watching all the things we want to watch during the week. My husband now goes on play station 3 evenings a week (I sit and play animal crossing on my switch.. so relaxing and addictive...never thought I would be one of those people). I absolutely don’t mind him doing that and in a way it’s good because now we have more things to watch on a Saturday. We got through 4 episodes of it’s a sin last night and had a really good Chinese and I felt great for it. Going to start ear marking films to watch so it feels like we are making an evening of it!

Sounds really positive about your kitty. Fingers crossed for you!!!x

• Heart
Do you know what? That’s exactly our issue too. Saturday tv is so mind numbing and we used tov end up binge watching all the things we want to watch during the week. My husband now goes on play station 3 evenings a week (I sit and play animal crossing on my switch.. so relaxing and addictive...never thought I would be one of those people). I absolutely don’t mind him doing that and in a way it’s good because now we have more things to watch on a Saturday. We got through 4 episodes of it’s a sin last night and had a really good Chinese and I felt great for it. Going to start ear marking films to watch so it feels like we are making an evening of it!

Sounds really positive about your kitty. Fingers crossed for you!!!x
It’s awful isn’t it! I just sit there like do people genuinely enjoy watching this tit??? Haha I have Sims 4 on my boyfriend’s PlayStation and I occasionally boot up my old Stone Age laptop and play Sims 3 on there too 🤣 I have never grown out of playing it it’s a proper guilty pleasure! It reminds me of rainy half term days when I never got out of my pyjamas and just simpler times in general.

Thank you! Fingers crossed 🤞🏻😻

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.