Dry January 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you ❤ aww please do try not to beat yourself up about Saturday. You planned to have a drink for a celebration it's not like you suddenly caved in over nothing. I am feeling really anxious because of the cat but it's made me realise this is pretty much how I've spent the last year nearly feeling all the time but for no real reason. I don't think I could ever become tee total either but I agree I don't think I will go back to my usual Thursday-Sunday binge.

The vets rang this morning to say his temperature has come back down after more antibiotics/anti inflammatory injections but his glucose and protein is high but that could be down to stress/not eating. He's still not moving his back legs so he's going in for more x-rays, and more tests for diabetes/kidney problems. He's only 7 though so they think that's unlikely. Lol, any money I have saved on booze will go paying the insurance excess 😂 the lord giveth and the lord taketh away :ROFLMAO: ahhh tbh I don't care how much it costs just want him to be better. Thank you for asking xxx
Hope he recovers quickly. My cat is one of my babies so I know how hard it is 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you ❤ aww please do try not to beat yourself up about Saturday. You planned to have a drink for a celebration it's not like you suddenly caved in over nothing. I am feeling really anxious because of the cat but it's made me realise this is pretty much how I've spent the last year nearly feeling all the time but for no real reason. I don't think I could ever become tee total either but I agree I don't think I will go back to my usual Thursday-Sunday binge.

The vets rang this morning to say his temperature has come back down after more antibiotics/anti inflammatory injections but his glucose and protein is high but that could be down to stress/not eating. He's still not moving his back legs so he's going in for more x-rays, and more tests for diabetes/kidney problems. He's only 7 though so they think that's unlikely. Lol, any money I have saved on booze will go paying the insurance excess 😂 the lord giveth and the lord taketh away :ROFLMAO: ahhh tbh I don't care how much it costs just want him to be better. Thank you for asking xxx
And that’s what is so good about this thread. Everyone is so wonderfully supportive. It’s a weird thing about that post booze anxious feeling, a lot of my friends get the same. I even noticed at one point on Saturday I sort of was overcome by a bit of a sad, negi feeling which I haven’t felt in ages! I am looking forward to feeling fresh again. I may also try and go from now - 2 weeks into feb! With my new job it’s going to involve a lot of very intense training and I will be commuting an hour each way. To be honest I would rather spend my Sundays off going out on my bike or doing something with my husband. I also can’t afford to feel like tit on a Monday or have my mind and judgement clouded. I don’t know if any of you get this but I notice when I’ve been drinking I have real issues with my short term memory and I tend to forget things. We did enjoy Saturday night but we were both sort of like... we didn’t really need to do it. We’ve agreed now we are going to go to drinking every other weekend but I think I may even consider every moth instead and then high days and holidays.

Oh your poor kitty. Could be a rotten UTI. My cats give me the worst anxiety because if there’s ever an issue it goes from 0-100 and usually they never make a fuss. Really will keep everything crossed x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I don’t know if any of you get this but I notice when I’ve been drinking I have real issues with my short term memory and I tend to forget things.
Yes! My memory is shocking and I just put it down to me having a crap memory. Since I’ve stopped drinking I can suddenly remember things! I guess it makes you a lot more alert and focussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Yes! My memory is shocking and I just put it down to me having a crap memory. Since I’ve stopped drinking I can suddenly remember things! I guess it makes your a lot more alert and focussed.
100%. My friend also mentioned this to me before which made me realise it’s not just me. It’s like you can really feel it chipping away at your brain!! Now I’ve had a drink I can truely say that there is a stark difference having a few weeks off booze and how much your health improves!

And that’s what is so good about this thread. Everyone is so wonderfully supportive. It’s a weird thing about that post booze anxious feeling, a lot of my friends get the same. I even noticed at one point on Saturday I sort of was overcome by a bit of a sad, negi feeling which I haven’t felt in ages! I am looking forward to feeling fresh again. I may also try and go from now - 2 weeks into feb! With my new job it’s going to involve a lot of very intense training and I will be commuting an hour each way. To be honest I would rather spend my Sundays off going out on my bike or doing something with my husband. I also can’t afford to feel like tit on a Monday or have my mind and judgement clouded. I don’t know if any of you get this but I notice when I’ve been drinking I have real issues with my short term memory and I tend to forget things. We did enjoy Saturday night but we were both sort of like... we didn’t really need to do it. We’ve agreed now we are going to go to drinking every other weekend but I think I may even consider every moth instead and then high days and holidays.

Oh your poor kitty. Could be a rotten UTI. My cats give me the worst anxiety because if there’s ever an issue it goes from 0-100 and usually they never make a fuss. Really will keep everything crossed x
Aww thank you, I will keep everyone updated xx

Yes my memory is crap when I’ve been drinking, like I’ll end up with 5 jars of the same spice for example or a lifetime supply of cotton wool pads because I’ll keep forgetting I’ve already bought them. I also feel a lot more focused, I was making myself a new dress yesterday and found I was really properly concentrating and paying attention to detail and not making stupid mistakes cos I haven’t noticed my machine isn’t on the right setting etc. If stuff did go wrong I just corrected it calmly as well instead of getting overly stressed and swearing at it and blaming everything else but my own brain fog!

The “hangxiety” is the biggest reason for me to stay off the booze. And don’t get me wrong I don’t think it’s a permanent change but I think there’s definitely going to be a decrease in my alcohol consumption. I don’t think I’m going to have “just one glass” on the sofa watching telly for the sake of it anymore.
If you have had a drink please don’t beat yourself up, you haven’t let anyone down and it’s just one of those things, we’re all human. Dust yourself off and give it another go if you like, no one is handing out stickers if you didn’t have a blip 😉

I’ve been reading the “Sober Girl Society Handbook” by Milly Gooch, which is really good and enjoyable view of sobriety and navigating social engagements and friendship :)

Reactions: 8
For me personally too, that anxious feeling lasts a bit longer than any hangover. Like if I drink on a Saturday, I'll one hundred percent still feel a bit anxious come Monday morning. It's very nice to not have it!

It's a fair question, and one that both my parents and I have asked many times over the last few weeks.

It has been about 16 days since I last drank any wine - legally! And despite being arrested, charged and subsequently fined for trying to buy illicit alcohol during prohibition here a couple of weeks ago, I have managed to drink the odd glass of wine from neighbours - illegally, which has kept me moderately sane.

The booze ban here was supposed to be lifted on the 15th, but our president has extended it indefinitely, which came as a final hammer blow to my hopes. Moreover most neighbouring countries to South Africa also have similar bans on booze, so its not as though I can take a trip over the border.

So returning to England was a more realistic option. Plus I am recently engaged to my partner over there, which was a total surprise when she asked me over a Zoom call!

As for my SAD. Well it has certainly lifted since coming here, but that is being negated somewhat for my need to drink. And this anxiety was ramped up further when my scheduled flight out of J'Burg to Heathrow last Saturday was cancelled by the airline at the last minute. So now I've got to wait another week before flying out and hope the same doesn't happen again.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks for reply, I hope you didn't take it as criticism, addiction of anything is horrendous.
Gosh you were arrested, didn't realise how strict things were in SA.
Congrats on your engagement, and I wish you well.

It's a fair question, and one that both my parents and I have asked many times over the last few weeks.

It has been about 16 days since I last drank any wine - legally! And despite being arrested, charged and subsequently fined for trying to buy illicit alcohol during prohibition here a couple of weeks ago, I have managed to drink the odd glass of wine from neighbours - illegally, which has kept me moderately sane.

The booze ban here was supposed to be lifted on the 15th, but our president has extended it indefinitely, which came as a final hammer blow to my hopes. Moreover most neighbouring countries to South Africa also have similar bans on booze, so its not as though I can take a trip over the border.

So returning to England was a more realistic option. Plus I am recently engaged to my partner over there, which was a total surprise when she asked me over a Zoom call!

As for my SAD. Well it has certainly lifted since coming here, but that is being negated somewhat for my need to drink. And this anxiety was ramped up further when my scheduled flight out of J'Burg to Heathrow last Saturday was cancelled by the airline at the last minute. So now I've got to wait another week before flying out and hope the same doesn't happen again.

Sorry for the long post
Wow congratulations on your engagement that’s wonderful news.

Reactions: 1
Thanks for reply, I hope you didn't take it as criticism, addiction of anything is horrendous.
Gosh you were arrested, didn't realise how strict things were in SA.
Congrats on your engagement, and I wish you well.
I didn't take it as criticism tbh. It was a well constructed question/observation which I didn't take offence too.

Thank you

Reactions: 5
I bought a small bottle of wine today for a risotto but realised that the recipe only calls for a tiny bit of the bottle...so I will want to drink the rest.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
No massive signs of improvement with my kitty other than I did get him to eat for the first time in 2 days, I am a vegetarian but I bought some chicken and cooked it for him and he ate the lot 😸 and washed it down with some cat milk, the vets said if he doesn’t improve with the antibiotics and anti inflammatories they want to refer him for a neurological/spinal examination and tests. It is so hard seeing him this poorly as he’s only 7 and usually so full of life 😢 just praying he turns a corner as I really don’t want him to have to have surgery. I’ve decided if he makes a recovery without having to be referred and then god knows what I will have a drink to celebrate 🥂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
No massive signs of improvement with my kitty other than I did get him to eat for the first time in 2 days, I am a vegetarian but I bought some chicken and cooked it for him and he ate the lot 😸 and washed it down with some cat milk, the vets said if he doesn’t improve with the antibiotics and anti inflammatories they want to refer him for a neurological/spinal examination and tests. It is so hard seeing him this poorly as he’s only 7 and usually so full of life 😢 just praying he turns a corner as I really don’t want him to have to have surgery. I’ve decided if he makes a recovery without having to be referred and then god knows what I will have a drink to celebrate 🥂
Oh @SpiceWeasel, keeping everything crossed for you!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.