Driving - Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Parallel parking used to stress me out extremely, but the few times I've had to do it now, it was always fine and I managed to get the car in in one go. I've learned that the way it is taught (at least here) in driving school isn't the best way to actually do it, they make you turn in the car at an too tight angle by turning the wheel in to the max, leading you to need to correct overly much. I believe it is done to get maximum vision, which is probably a good idea for someone just learning to drive, but the parking bit is then also much more complicated than it needs to be. The few times I've done it now I just didn't but the wheel in to the maximum and it worked much better.

Reactions: 2
I am also terrible at reverse parallel parking.
In January, a policeman saw me parking.
I got out of the car, and he said Madam, you cannot leave your car like that as you blocking it and cars won't be able to pass.
So I parked it again.
When I came out of the shop, he said Madam, I am very concerned about your parking - I am going to have to breathalyse you! - 3pm in the day.
I said I not had a drink this year - I was doing Dry January....
It was clear.
I decided to take Advanced Driving Lessons, and have had 7 lessons, and due to apply for my test
Advanced Driver | IAM RoadSmart .

If I pass, I hope my car insurance premiums will decrease.
Omg, I would have cried. That’s horrible. I avoid parallel parking if I can. Sometimes there’s no option but to do it when I go to my parents and I do manage to do it but having an audience kills me off. Even my mum knows not to look out the window when I arrive 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I am also terrible at reverse parallel parking.
In January, a policeman saw me parking.
I got out of the car, and he said Madam, you cannot leave your car like that as you blocking it and cars won't be able to pass.
So I parked it again.
When I came out of the shop, he said Madam, I am very concerned about your parking - I am going to have to breathalyse you! - 3pm in the day.
I said I not had a drink this year - I was doing Dry January....
It was clear.
I decided to take Advanced Driving Lessons, and have had 7 lessons, and due to apply for my test
Advanced Driver | IAM RoadSmart .

If I pass, I hope my car insurance premiums will decrease.
What surprises me most about this is that there was a police man around. The cynic in me suggests that he wouldn't be quite as quick to say anything to someone commiting a crime.

However, it's great that you are being proactive and doing the advanced course. I'm crap at parallel parking too , I've only done it a couple of times since my test. I should practice more , but I rarely need to do it.

[
What surprises me most about this is that there was a police man around. The cynic in me suggests that he wouldn't be quite as quick to say anything to someone commiting a crime.

However, it's great that you are being proactive and doing the advanced course. I'm crap at parallel parking too , I've only done it a couple of times since my test. I should practice more , but I rarely need to do it.

There were a few police around as there had been a car accident on the road, and police and ambulance had been called.
So lots of people standing around to see my parking,, and later getting breathalysed!.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1
Have you used the Waze app? It’s really good for avoiding traffic and will divert you if it knows there are problems. I hate ring roads and roundabouts too 😬
Ooh, I've not heard of this. Will have a look into it as there's tons of diversions near me at the moment.

Drove to a country park about 20 mins away yesterday. All went fine even though the route was different. I really just need to get out more.

Reactions: 1
Ooh, I've not heard of this. Will have a look into it as there's tons of diversions near me at the moment.

Drove to a country park about 20 mins away yesterday. All went fine even though the route was different. I really just need to get out more.
Yes sometimes the thought of doing something is worse than actually doing it! But I can really relate and I need to get out more too.

[

There were a few police around as there had been a car accident on the road, and police and ambulance had been called.
So lots of people standing around to see my parking,, and later getting breathalysed!.
[/QUOTE]
I hate being watched

• Heart
Reactions: 4