Dr Lisa Cunningham

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nearly 4 months away from the kids is something I can’t even fathom. I know it’s her choice but not one I’d be willing to make myself.
It wasn’t exactly her choice though - when she took the job she had no idea a global pandemic was on the way, and even when she started the job there was no way of knowing it would get so bad this winter.

I stopped following her a few months ago and now looking at her page is just #ad etc all over
Not at all - she does very few ads. Two is all I can remember.

My hubby has to do overseas next year to renew his contract. We all make sacrifices for the right reasons. Rather him than me tho. I love my babies too much. Can’t leave them overnight
I do think people wouldn’t bat an eyelid at this if she was a man. I’m sure she loves her babies just as much and luckily Bernard seems very supportive

Reactions: 14
It wasn’t exactly her choice though - when she took the job she had no idea a global pandemic was on the way, and even when she started the job there was no way of knowing it would get so bad this
Shes started over there in July or so did she not? And the pandemic was declared in March, so it was well established by time she left. There’s always choice. A medical doctor probably has a better grasp of the implications of a pandemic than the average Joe soap so probably knew 2 weeks to flatten the curve wasn’t going to be enough.
Regardless, I never said she shouldn’t have gone, I said I couldn’t do it.

Reactions: 2
Shes started over there in July or so did she not? And the pandemic was declared in March, so it was well established by time she left. There’s always choice. A medical doctor probably has a better grasp of the implications of a pandemic than the average Joe soap so probably knew 2 weeks to flatten the curve wasn’t going to be enough.
Regardless, I never said she shouldn’t have gone, I said I couldn’t do it.
She did but I think it was part of her career plan long before July. And in July things were looking so much better - there was no way of knowing how bad it would all turn out

Reactions: 1
I really think the “I couldn’t do such and such because I love my kids too much” comments are so so unfair. Its obviously implying people who do make these choices don’t love their children as much as the rest of us which is of course nonsense.

I returned to college to study in healthcare last year and I have nothing but admiration for doctors and the huge sacrifices they make to study. They are sacrifices I could not make myself, which is why I could never be a doctor! Especially females and mothers because they are under such criticism. A mother can only advance in her career if she sacrifices her children?? I wouldn’t doubt for a second that Lisa (and her husband) are making these short term sacrifices exactly for their children’s future. Maybe it’s the system that needs adjusting? I’m studying/on placement during the week and working part time at the weekends to get through college, I have 3 small kids and it’s definitely impacting my time with them but myself and my husband know and agree it’s for the bigger picture and a better future for them, I would be so hurt if people assumed in doing so it’s because I don’t love them and am happy to be away from them.... it’s exactly my strong love for them that’s pushing me through and I can only imagine how people in Lisa’s position feel!
Anyway just my 2 cents, people don’t have to agree.

Reactions: 32
I really think the “I couldn’t do such and such because I love my kids too much” comments are so so unfair. Its obviously implying people who do make these choices don’t love their children as much as the rest of us which is of course nonsense.

I returned to college to study in healthcare last year and I have nothing but admiration for doctors and the huge sacrifices they make to study. They are sacrifices I could not make myself, which is why I could never be a doctor! Especially females and mothers because they are under such criticism. A mother can only advance in her career if she sacrifices her children?? I wouldn’t doubt for a second that Lisa (and her husband) are making these short term sacrifices exactly for their children’s future. Maybe it’s the system that needs adjusting? I’m studying/on placement during the week and working part time at the weekends to get through college, I have 3 small kids and it’s definitely impacting my time with them but myself and my husband know and agree it’s for the bigger picture and a better future for them, I would be so hurt if people assumed in doing so it’s because I don’t love them and am happy to be away from them.... it’s exactly my strong love for them that’s pushing me through and I can only imagine how people in Lisa’s position feel!
Anyway just my 2 cents, people don’t have to agree.
Well said! I 💯 agree. I hate the “I love my kids too much” narrative. Her kids were clearly very well looked after and I’m sure it was much harder on Lisa than it was on the kids

Reactions: 9
I think it’s great that she went. I’m sure she found it very hard, especially since Christmas but she had her eyes in the prize. Such a strong role model for women and mothers that you can still have a good career even when you have kids, and that you don’t have to stop trying to further yourself. And her husband is a excellent role model to men to show how you can be the supportive spouse and take the brunt of the home life. I’d be lucky to have even a fraction of that support and I know many other women would be in the same position.

• Sick
Reactions: 20
If somebody couldn’t leave their kids for work, that’s their prerogative too. No need to look for offence where there’s none intended. Women who sacrifice time with their children to go to work are celebrated but when women sacrifice their career to prioritise their kids they’re attacked for it and people get pissy about it. Some more respect for stay at home parents is definitely required

Well said! I 💯 agree. I hate the “I love my kids too much” narrative. Her kids were clearly very well looked after and I’m sure it was much harder on Lisa than it was on the kids
Tough if you hate it. People are entitled to love their kids too much. What a bizarre thing to take offence from and turn into a negative

Reactions: 4
If somebody couldn’t leave their kids for work, that’s their prerogative too. No need to look for offence where there’s none intended. Women who sacrifice time with their children to go to work are celebrated but when women sacrifice their career to prioritise their kids they’re attacked for it and people get pissy about it. Some more respect for stay at home parents is definitely required

Tough if you hate it. People are entitled to love their kids too much. What a bizarre thing to take offence from and turn into a negative
I think the negative is that you are suggesting you love your kids more than women who choose to be away from their kids for work. I’m not offended at all - I just disagree with this sentiment

Sacrifices always have to be made for a medical career. That’s just the way of it, irregardless of gender. Always very difficult for their partners, but these doctors have to travel to gain the skills necessary to progress their careers. She was lucky that she only had to go to London. I think she’s an absolute dose, but I wouldn’t criticise her for leaving her kids in order to advance her medical skills. Ultimately it will make her more employable here in the long term, and will help to build their future. Would a man get the same level of criticism in a similar position?! I’m sure she is very happy to be home now with her family, and I bet that her kids are thrilled to have her back.

It's all about choices though isn't it, she could have chosen something closer to home, she could have chosen to have kids later. She has/had choices and she chose to have kids and IMO that comes with a level of sacrifice. I'm not saying she shouldn't have a career, and actually admire her for having a family amidst all of that training, that cant of been easy and fair play to her. It's very impressive. But as I said having kids comes with a bit of sacrifice. For a while, when they are little and then things change again, and I just think it was a bit selfish to go off and do that during a pandemic. I'd say that of any parent, male or female. If it's a financial necessity that's one thing, but she's putting her own wants first.

Reactions: 2
It's all about choices though isn't it, she could have chosen something closer to home, she could have chosen to have kids later. She has/had choices and she chose to have kids and IMO that comes with a level of sacrifice. I'm not saying she shouldn't have a career, and actually admire her for having a family amidst all of that training, that cant of been easy and fair play to her. It's very impressive. But as I said having kids comes with a bit of sacrifice. For a while, when they are little and then things change again, and I just think it was a bit selfish to go off and do that during a pandemic. I'd say that of any parent, male or female. If it's a financial necessity that's one thing, but she's putting her own wants first.
I don’t know the full details of her speciality but usually there is a requirement for the hospital ones to train abroad for a period of time, in order to help the progression to consultant status. They do not get a choice in it and the UK is the closest to home for Irish doctors. Many end up having to go to Canada or Australia.

Deciding when to have children - it’s not as easy at that. Fertility is a fragile thing for many people and biological clocks don’t wait unfortunately.

As I said, I don’t know the ins and outs of her career, but it sounds like she is thinking about the long term and making a great life for her family and herself.

Reactions: 11
I don’t know the full details of her speciality but usually there is a requirement for the hospital ones to train abroad for a period of time, in order to help the progression to consultant status. They do not get a choice in it and the UK is the closest to home for Irish doctors. Many end up having to go to Canada or Australia.

Deciding when to have children - it’s not as easy at that. Fertility is a fragile thing for many people and biological clocks don’t wait unfortunately.

As I said, I don’t know the ins and outs of her career, but it sounds like she is thinking about the long term and making a great life for her family and herself.
True, we don't know the ins and outs and so can only comment on what we are shown and she has never alluded to any fertility issues etc (I know obviously age is a factor, it's not so black and white and I've had fertility issues myself so I apologise if that seemed insensitive and it's a fair point). I wasn't aware that they absolutely had to do some of it abroad, so hands up, I was wrong on that point, but still feel like the timing could have been better. Given the pandemic and the little one being so small. It is great to see women in these positions and being happy in their career, but I will always advocate for children first (probably to do with my own career path) and am probably just a bit biased tbf.

On the fertility point, if I remember rightly Bernard is a good bit older than her so he probably didn’t want to wait until she was fully qualified, which is fair enough

True, we don't know the ins and outs and so can only comment on what we are shown and she has never alluded to any fertility issues etc (I know obviously age is a factor, it's not so black and white and I've had fertility issues myself so I apologise if that seemed insensitive and it's a fair point). I wasn't aware that they absolutely had to do some of it abroad, so hands up, I was wrong on that point, but still feel like the timing could have been better. Given the pandemic and the little one being so small. It is great to see women in these positions and being happy in their career, but I will always advocate for children first (probably to do with my own career path) and am probably just a bit biased tbf.
I’m pretty sure the stint abroad was planned long before the pandemic hit, and she has alluded to wanting more children so I’d imagine she wanted to get it out of the way before having another one. I know her daughter is very young but she would have planned to be on a plane in and out of knock regularly.

Reactions: 3
Any full time working parent sacrifices time with their children. I don’t see any issue with saying I would not leave my very young kids to work in another county and not see them for a four month block, choices work both ways. No one is saying you should not if you choose otherwise. Very little in working life is a once in a lifetime opportunity, there’s always other options to get where you’d want to be, but time with your children is a different story.

Reactions: 3
Any full time working parent sacrifices time with their children. I don’t see any issue with saying I would not leave my very young kids to work in another county and not see them for a four month block, choices work both ways. No one is saying you should not if you choose otherwise. Very little in working life is a once in a lifetime opportunity, there’s always other options to get where you’d want to be, but time with your children is a different story.
But she had no idea she’d be away for a 4 month block when she choose to do it - being away for that long was not her choice

But she had no idea she’d be away for a 4 month block when she choose to do it - being away for that long was not her choice
Come on she knew no travel was a risk in a pandemic. Sure we were grounded long before July she just travelled anyway as long as she could get away with it. No idea is a stretch.

Come on she knew no travel was a risk in a pandemic. Sure we were grounded long before July she just travelled anyway as long as she could get away with it. No idea is a stretch.
She applied for that job over a year before she started, i think beforesge even started in Galway, a long time before the pandemic was a glint in a bats eye - she even showed her trip over there a long time before she got offered the job.

That, and the fact that knock is on her doorstep would have made it a reasonable decision to make. My own cousin commuted to London last year and left his wife and child at home and was only LAUDED for his sacrifices for the sake of his family. She deserves the same. How the world turned out is hardly her fault. And i doubt the "ah well i won't go" mentality is one which would have gotten her where she is today. She'sa trojan worker, and has the strength to for this for her family, not callousness. I wouldn't be able to leave my family for that long not because i love them more, but because i don't have that drive, which is grand for me and my choices. I wouldn't imply she's selfish because it's not something i could do, your misogyny ia showing

Reactions: 24
She applied for that job over a year before she started, i think beforesge even started in Galway, a long time before the pandemic was a glint in a bats eye - she even showed her trip over there a long time before she got offered the job.

That, and the fact that knock is on her doorstep would have made it a reasonable decision to make. My own cousin commuted to London last year and left his wife and child at home and was only LAUDED for his sacrifices for the sake of his family. She deserves the same. How the world turned out is hardly her fault. And i doubt the "ah well i won't go" mentality is one which would have gotten her where she is today. She'sa trojan worker, and has the strength to for this for her family, not callousness. I wouldn't be able to leave my family for that long not because i love them more, but because i don't have that drive, which is grand for me and my choices. I wouldn't imply she's selfish because it's not something i could do, your misogyny ia showing
Why don’t you show me where exactly I said she was selfish and she shouldn’t have gone? You can say you wouldn’t go but you take issue with me saying I wouldn’t go? My misogyny? Excuse me I made no reference whatsoever to her gender. I think you might have quoted my post in error, maybe you need to check that. AGAIN I never said she shouldn’t have gone, I said wouldn’t.

Last edited:
Why don’t you show me where exactly I said she was selfish and she shouldn’t have gone? You can say you wouldn’t go but you take issue with me saying I wouldn’t go?
Chill pal, I was making a general point, there are numerous posts implying she's terrible for going, don't take things so personally, it's an anoymous page, i don't know anything about you, all my comments are general. Taking things personally cause of my lazy choice of words is pointless

Chill pal, I was making a general point, there are numerous posts implying she's terrible for going, don't take things so personally, it's an anoymous page, i don't know anything about you, all my comments are general. Taking things personally cause of my lazy choice of words is pointless
Don’t quote my post then pal in your response. You quoted my post and said “your” misogyny is showing.