Dr Jessica Taylor #7 Unexpected ITIM in the Bragging Area

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Having been a member of BPS as a student I am well aware of the focus around ethics and having explicit consent, not “thought” or implied. So this whole this is exceptionally shocking.
BACP etc also have similar statements on ethics. Counsellors and psychologists worth anything would adhere to ethical frameworks and transparency.
Jess has no therapeutic training or experience and it shows.
I tried to complain to BACP about outrageous behaviour of a psychotherapist - it was so sick that it meant she was profoundly unwell and I was more concerned for her immediate personal safety and life than my own treatment failure and all that imbued. Having ended the treatment immediately, I then rang the BACP to ask for intervention and action.

So, turns out their membership means nothing whatsoever and the only time they're interested in a complaint about one of their professional members (who basically just pay an annual fee to be included on their register after having confirmed taken a basic counselling course) is if it's of a nature that would be virtually criminal and if one can absolutely prove it in the same way as in a court of law. They're not interested in holding a complaint on file in case a future client reports the same problem, they're not interested in the harm done or if that person is still perpetrating more to the next person, they're not interested if therapists are total con artists, which many are.

In fact the most useful thing they said when I rang them is I should lobby my local MP and the government to change legislation (about regulation of therapists) as that would help.

Huh.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Oh gosh.
That sounds awful.
As there’s no legislation on who can call themselves a counsellor, membership bodies don’t hold much legal clout. (SCoPEd doesn’t do any better)
I do know that BACPused to publish members who were under investigation in their Therapy Today magazine but stopped it after backlash.

Either way, JT has no training or experience in therapeutic modes. She has a psychology degree that does none of this

Reactions: 2
every time Jess posts as if she is the only person in the world to treat trauma in a non-pathologising way she just really reveals her own lack of curiosity and how little research/reading/CPD she does.

I recently completed this training (highly recommend) which features many of the 'big names' in working with trauma and NONE of what jess claims she is pioneering is new or unique
The Advanced Master Program on the Treatment of Trauma (nicabm.com)

Reactions: 9

Oh really, Jess? And in what countries do you think those are?

My family is from Hong Kong where traditional medicine is practiced and there is a belief in emotions and energy. It has - and so do other countries in East and South Asia - very high rates of suicide and self-harm partly because there is a lot of stigma against not only mental illness but getting any kind of care for it. My ex is Korean and moved to the UK because she'd suffered serious health problems caused by a stomach ulcer after years of working relentless hours at her job as an accountant. I suppose to Jess that is proof that "if psychiatry worked, no one in these countries would be able to function." What about a country like Kenya, where psychiatric care isn't widely available and they believe in "energy" and whatnot? That contributes to women and children being tortured and killed as "witches." She is beyond ignorant

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Oh really, Jess? And in what countries do you think those are?

My family is from Hong Kong where traditional medicine is practiced and there is a belief in emotions and energy. It has - and so do other countries in East and South Asia - very high rates of suicide and self-harm partly because there is a lot of stigma against not only mental illness but getting any kind of care for it. My ex is Korean and moved to the UK because she'd suffered serious health problems caused by a stomach ulcer after years of working relentless hours at her job as an accountant. I suppose to Jess that is proof that "if psychiatry worked, no one in these countries would be able to function." What about a country like Kenya, where psychiatric care isn't widely available and they believe in "energy" and whatnot? That contributes to women and children being tortured and killed as "witches." She is beyond ignorant
I saw this post and just thought it’s another one she hasn’t got a clue (nor backed it with proof).
Those that may not use it probably don’t believe mental health, believe it’s “demons” etc. so it won’t be collated as a thing.
Also, the UK use the ICD really so…

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Someone gave Honduras as an example in the comments of a country that has low suicide rates because psychiatry isn't influential - you realise Honduras is a heavily Catholic country where suicide is considered sinful and anyone who commits suicide can't be buried within the church. Might that not have an impact on suicide rates and reporting?

Reactions: 14
This reply basically should have shut her up once and for all. The actual stats totally blow her bullshit out of the water, so she refused to comment further. The whole argument is flawed, childish thinking. Yes there may be little engagement with psychiatry in countries with an apparent low suicide rate, but one is not causally related to the other, but then any psychology graduate with a modicum of intelligence would know this, and anyone who had a GCSE level grasp of Statistics would also know that statistics can be used to illustrate all sorts of untrue/dubious things if used without context. There are so many other variables at play here, no medication and no psychiatry will inevitably mean no diagnosis. That doesn't necessarily mean no metal health issues, just no diagnoses or recording of them. Suicide is not the only measure of poor mental health. There are so many things wrong with this narrative I cba typing out any more. Apart from anything else, the person who commented shared a link to suicide stats which completely ends her argument anyway! But then her fans perpetuate the flawed thinking. I mean one classic: So 40% of US citizens are on antidepressants but also the highest levels of mass shooting and knife attacks are up in the UK-coincidence? Maybe there is a relationship there but are the people carrying out the shootings on anti-depressants? Maybe they're not and they should be. Maybe there are more serious mental health disorders involved. Life is so simple when you have no critical thinking. Honestly some of the 'facts' and causal relationships she comes up with are just laughable, just like the ones you are shown in Statistics 1 lesson 1 of any Statistics related course. For example, apparently the yearly number of deaths by drowning correlates with the yearly number of films Nicolas Cage appeared in--so is Nicolas Cage making films causing death by drowning??? I used to think she was quite clever, using dubious statistics without context to illustrate her point, but now I just think she's stupid. Her 'statistics' in some of her 'research' clearly demonstrate that she doesn't really understand stats.....but then if her work was properly supervised and peer reviewed her dubious stats would be thrown out. And the arrogance! 'Love this extract about past traumatic growth' and then shares a clip when she is the only one speaking! My god, her arrogance is off the scale!

---
I saw this post and just thought it’s another one she hasn’t got a clue (nor backed it with proof).
Those that may not use it probably don’t believe mental health, believe it’s “demons” etc. so it won’t be collated as a thing.
Also, the UK use the ICD really so…
This constant referring to the DSM winds me up as yes we don't use it here. In fact it's only really the US that does use the DSM. So does she know this or is she desperately trying to enter the US market, with her pathetic US references that are just never heard here, like the 'I love it when people twist themselves into pretzels'--I have NEVER, ever heard a British person refer to 'pretzels' in this way. She is desperate to make it as some sort of expert in the US. It'll never happen.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
This reply basically should have shut her up once and for all. The actual stats totally blow her bullshit out of the water, so she refused to comment further. The whole argument is flawed, childish thinking. Yes there may be little engagement with psychiatry in countries with an apparent low suicide rate, but one is not causally related to the other, but then any psychology graduate with a modicum of intelligence would know this, and anyone who had a GCSE level grasp of Statistics would also know that statistics can be used to illustrate all sorts of untrue/dubious things if used without context. There are so many other variables at play here, no medication and no psychiatry will inevitably mean no diagnosis. That doesn't necessarily mean no metal health issues, just no diagnoses or recording of them. Suicide is not the only measure of poor mental health. There are so many things wrong with this narrative I cba typing out any more. Apart from anything else, the person who commented shared a link to suicide stats which completely ends her argument anyway! But then her fans perpetuate the flawed thinking. I mean one classic: So 40% of US citizens are on antidepressants but also the highest levels of mass shooting and knife attacks are up in the UK-coincidence? Maybe there is a relationship there but are the people carrying out the shootings on anti-depressants? Maybe they're not and they should be. Maybe there are more serious mental health disorders involved. Life is so simple when you have no critical thinking. Honestly some of the 'facts' and causal relationships she comes up with are just laughable, just like the ones you are shown in Statistics 1 lesson 1 of any Statistics related course. For example, apparently the yearly number of deaths by drowning correlates with the yearly number of films Nicolas Cage appeared in--so is Nicolas Cage making films causing death by drowning??? I used to think she was quite clever, using dubious statistics without context to illustrate her point, but now I just think she's stupid. Her 'statistics' in some of her 'research' clearly demonstrate that she doesn't really understand stats.....but then if her work was properly supervised and peer reviewed her dubious stats would be thrown out. And the arrogance! 'Love this extract about past traumatic growth' and then shares a clip when she is the only one speaking! My god, her arrogance is off the scale!

---

This constant referring to the DSM winds me up as yes we don't use it here. In fact it's only really the US that does use the DSM. So does she know this or is she desperately trying to enter the US market, with her pathetic US references that are just never heard here, like the 'I love it when people twist themselves into pretzels'--I have NEVER, ever heard a British person refer to 'pretzels' in this way. She is desperate to make it as some sort of expert in the US. It'll never happen.
She’s trying to break the USA she’s said it on her Facebook in a reply on a thread lot of her ‘fans’ are American conspiracy theory happy too
---

Reactions: 3
She’s trying to break the USA she’s said it on her Facebook in a reply on a thread lot of her ‘fans’ are American conspiracy theory happy too
---
I know she is, it's very obvious. The US is very ligitious, let's see how that goes for her...
---
Oh of course, she was a pioneer of women's football! Oh just **** off!

---
And yet she wasn't even watching it. That bothered eh?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I know she is, it's very obvious. The US is very ligitious, let's see how that goes for her...
---

---
I thought she hardly went to school? I can't keep up with her tales.

Those WhatsApp messages aren't how people who love each other talk to each other either. Pretty telling.

Reactions: 7
---

---
What a bizarre conversation and why would you think your football crazy other half had just been stabbed in your own home when you know damn well she's downstairs watching football?

Also, like, who in their right mind would find this incident so fascinating they need to share it?

The fascination that narcs have with their own selves and everything they think, say, do, feel... is just mind blowing.

Reactions: 9
And yet you don't bother coming down to check, just conduct the whole conversation by text? And don't you think the tone is very controlling? Jaimi apologising twice just sounds like she'll be sitting there on pins because she's upset the almighty.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
That reads like a text conversation between a mother and teenage daughter. I also noted the apologies. For such a small snippet of communication the power imbalance is very obvious and very telling. That Jaimi shared it shows how normalised that dynamic is.

Reactions: 10
The apology reminds me of how I'd apologise to my abusive bully of an ex. Nothing I did was right, and I ended up apologising for everything. I once missed a bus and had to grovel and apologise for a week. I can spot it a mile off.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
And yet you don't bother coming down to check, just conduct the whole conversation by text? And don't you think the tone is very controlling? Jaimi apologising twice just sounds like she'll be sitting there on pins because she's upset the almighty.
Yep it's def got that 'walking on eggshells' inducing vibe to it. Plus it's that trad narc joy killer thing too isn't it?

Oh, you were cheering for your team but actually you disturbed me working and furthermore I assumed you'd been stabbed and that was very annoying to have to listen to.

The outcome of which is always having to apologise to one's abuser and creep around them 'sorry, did I upset you...', 'sorry I made you jump...', 'are you OK hon...' ugggghhhhh

Reactions: 13
She was so young, so more malleable, when she got with Jess, a master manipulator who she was already in awe of. I really do worry for Jaimi and her future.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.