Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got so mad again today at the sheer level of incompetence some people I work with display... I know people often say that you shouldn't take things like this personally, but honestly, I find that very hard. I'm busting my very own personal ass there daily, it's my personal time. Not taking it personally then is at least for me quite out there.
OMG are you me?! It makes me absolutely incandescent that I fret and panic over the smallest things in my job but there are other people who live and breathe incompetence and just get away with it.

Reactions: 5
OMG are you me?! It makes me absolutely incandescent that I fret and panic over the smallest things in my job but there are other people who live and breathe incompetence and just get away with it.
We might be twins 😁 like you, I panic over details (which is actually a legit part of my job), but I sometimes just get so angry. I know I have a very unhealthy relationship with that job, partially because I'm too invested in it, but on the other hand, it's also company-driven to be that way. And because I care about the product so much, I get just so angry if people treat me and my time I spent for it like tit.

Reactions: 4
I don’t hate my job. It’s a decent job in a good company with nice benefits and a lot of holiday time. The pay is good too (for the role). But every day I feel a little more trapped. I feel like in my team (there’s 4 of us that do the same role) I’m the one that does the bulk of the work - it’s not an even split. It can be demanding and there’s always a fire to put out somewhere and it feels like things always get dumped on me, either from my colleagues or from my manager. I’ve raised it with my manager before and he says he knows it’s not a fair workload and that he comes to me over anyone else because he knows I will do it right / on time, blah blah. It feels like if I was worse at my job my life would be easier because time at work / responsibilities/ sharing of tasks is never discussed as an issue so everyone else just gets to do the bare minimum and nothing ever comes of it.

As a side moan…. I work with a woman that I do like as a person but she is a terrible workmate. She was off sick with stress / MH problems for a long time then came back for a few months then went off on maternity leave. She’s been back in post now (remotely) for 6 months and every single day I feel like we go over the same stuff / I have to repeat myself constantly because she claims her memory is awful now. I don’t grudge that but JFC … take notes!!!!! Some days I feel like I’m losing my mind because I know we’ve just covered something a few days before and she comes to me and ask the same things again! Urgh. Attention to detail is a big part of this job and she is terrible - misses the most obvious / blatant things and is just all round very difficult to deal with.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I dislike the company because they have an awful culture.

For instance, my employer has lost the plot with this whole return to office.

At the end of January, in accordance with government guidelines, we were told to come into the office once a week starting Feb. 1st and that starting March, we'd need to come in 2-3 times a week. I complied with the rule and showed up once during the week of Feb. 1st. Unfortunately, due to a passing in my immediate family, I was off for a month and only returned during the first week of March. In the meantime, my manager and their manager left the company.

During my absence, I personally had no idea what was going on at the office whether the other analysts from my team we coming in or not. I'm not the manager, so quite frankly, it is not my problem to monitor presence. During the week of my return to work, I worked from home (honestly, I'm still grieving and couldn't make my way to the office). Since there is no one managing us really, I didn't know who to even talk to.

It appears none of my co-workers showed up to the office during my absence. They all kept working from home and we were summoned to a meeting with some function head overseas the same week I returned from leave. The function head said we needed to come into the office twice a week and it is "expected", but not a requirement, but we still need to come in because apparently, our local senior management complained they haven't seen us in the office. Then, some idiot in our team said: "I came in in December, but I can understand it raises red flags if no one comes in". This idiot mentioned December, but the government was still mandating everyone to work from home at that point. Plus, he didn't need to throw us under the bus.

Fast forward, it appears during the week of my return (last week), they asked some overseas stakeholder to visit our office without telling us (we had multiple calls with this stakeholder and they never ever mentioned they were visiting). This person ratted the team out saying we're not coming in and now it's turned into one big thing. I went into the office this week and surprise surprise, no one from my team was there aside from me, the visiting stakeholder and some VP. Then the VP approached me and said: "Yeah, there are talks that you guys, the analysts, are not coming in and it's not good". I told him, well "I was off for a month for personal reasons, which you are aware you, and only got back last week, so it makes sense I wasn't there".

I can appreciate they want people to come back in but you can't put everyone in the same basket. I didn't come in because I was off and I literally started coming back in within 10 days of my return from leave. Sending someone sneakily to check if we're coming in is bad form and the VP saying "there are talks analysts are not coming in" is not my issue. They've literally lost the plot - seriously. We have a team call at 9am on Monday, presumably over this.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
EEEEKKKK! Just got this off the back of my interview on Wednesday -

Hi ,

It was lovely to meet you the other day.

We were impressed with your responses and would like to invite you to complete some tasks so we can see how you would deal with certain situations which may arrise in this role.

1. Phone up and leave a voicemail to a client to rearrange a meeting with Liam. You can phone 07XXXXXXXX0.
  2. Write an email that you would send to a client who’s website project needs to be pushed back by 2 weeks because of our staff illness. You can send this email to myself.
  3. Create a spreadsheet template to show how you would keep track of which office equipment/electronics team members have taken home with them - include some example data. Again please email this to myself.
We should be grateful if you could complete these tasks by Tuesday next week (8th March).

If you have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards,

I am ON IT LIKE A CAR BONNET!!!!!!!
I ONLY WENT AND GOT THE BLOODY JOB!!!!!!!

Just had the phone call about 20 minutes ago. I will write my notice tonight and hand it in tomorrow. If I wasn't going on holiday at the end of the month and needed the money, I'd be calling in sick for the rest of my notice period.

I feel like a 10 tonne weight has been lifted off me.

<3

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I ONLY WENT AND GOT THE BLOODY JOB!!!!!!!

Just had the phone call about 20 minutes ago. I will write my notice tonight and hand it in tomorrow. If I wasn't going on holiday at the end of the month and needed the money, I'd be calling in sick for the rest of my notice period.

I feel like a 10 tonne weight has been lifted off me.

<3
Congratulations, amazing news! Enjoy the relief that comes with handing your notice in and get yourself something nice to eat or drink to celebrate tonight 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 6
How did it go? The nerves doing it are awful but once it’s over and done with hopefully you’ll feel great!
I haven't done it yet!!! I keep bottling it! I think I will do it just before I leave then I don't have to deal with the tension!!!! x

Omg I hate my job so much. Sadly I'm stuck in it for now as covid decimated my husband's income.

• Sad
  • Heart
This isn’t just aimed at my current job but with every job I’ve had I’ve always felt like it’s an inconvenience, as though it’s getting in the way of me doing something else. Not sure if this makes sense or if it’s just me but I can never ‘settle’ or get into a routine of getting up, getting ready and going to work because it feels like I should be elsewhere. Even though I have nowhere else to be because I need to go to work to earn a living😂. Kinda like I’m constantly waiting for the weekend to have some free time to do the things that my mind seems to think I should be doing during the week.. It could even be mundane things like cleaning the kitchen. In my head I’m annoyed that I have to go to work because that’s stopping me from being able to clean the kitchen that day lol.

Bit of a pointless rant really but I’m having one of those days where I’m annoyed that I’m at work because there’s a million other things I could be doing at home right now🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 18
This isn’t just aimed at my current job but with every job I’ve had I’ve always felt like it’s an inconvenience, as though it’s getting in the way of me doing something else. Not sure if this makes sense or if it’s just me but I can never ‘settle’ or get into a routine of getting up, getting ready and going to work because it feels like I should be elsewhere. Even though I have nowhere else to be because I need to go to work to earn a living😂. Kinda like I’m constantly waiting for the weekend to have some free time to do the things that my mind seems to think I should be doing during the week.. It could even be mundane things like cleaning the kitchen. In my head I’m annoyed that I have to go to work because that’s stopping me from being able to clean the kitchen that day lol.

Bit of a pointless rant really but I’m having one of those days where I’m annoyed that I’m at work because there’s a million other things I could be doing at home right now🤣
It sucks doesn't it 😂 I just feel like the amount of time spent at work Vs other things is so much higher as well. The work life balance is just not right. 5 days working 2 days weekend, ugh does not make sense.

Also I wish I was one of those people that treat work very seriously,are passionate about it and proud about the work they do but it's just not me. I guess it depends on the job, there are jobs where people can make a difference, but my job feels like a lot of bullshit and paper pushing, I just can't treat it seriously. Just want to get it done and finish for the day, can't deal with networking, putting extra hours, and corporate speak

Reactions: 9
It sucks doesn't it 😂 I just feel like the amount of time spent at work Vs other things is so much higher as well. The work life balance is just not right. 5 days working 2 days weekend, ugh does not make sense.

Also I wish I was one of those people that treat work very seriously,are passionate about it and proud about the work they do but it's just not me. I guess it depends on the job, there are jobs where people can make a difference, but my job feels like a lot of bullshit and paper pushing, I just can't treat it seriously. Just want to get it done and finish for the day, can't deal with networking, putting extra hours, and corporate speak
Yes, exactly this! And when it comes to the weekend I don’t even feel like I have time to do the things I want to do because the amount of chores that need done have built up through the week. You blink and the weekend is over. Not to mention I’m also a part time student so need to find time for that as well.

I come to work because I have to, not because I want to. As soon as 16:30 hits I am out of there like a flash. I’m on tit pay too so it makes coming to work even worse, like I’m here 8 hours a day 5 days a week just to be handed buttons at the end of the month🙄. Hopefully once I finish my college course I can apply for something that pays better and can then maybe afford to drop down to 4 days a week.

Reactions: 4
So pleased I’ve found this thread. I was let go from my job last week. My probation ended and they decided not to keep me on. They told me on my first day back in the office after two weeks holiday and I left with immediate effect. I absolutely hated the job and sobbed for 45 minutes straight at the thought of going back after our holiday. The people weren’t nice, the workload was absurd and it was generally making me miserable. I’m mostly frustrated that they let me go before I could hand my notice in and get in first. Feeling both relieved that I never have to go back but also terrified that I’ll never be employed again so it’s nice to see that people have been in the same situation and have come out of it fine!
I’ve had 5 interviews since I left on Monday so fingers crossed one will be successful and I’ll be back on my feet soon!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Hi guys, my company has recently been taken over and the new management are great but the changes that have been made structure wise have made me dread the meetings 3x week. However, I'm 15 weeks pregnant and due to go on maternity end of summer. So it's not that easy for me to apply for jobs as i'm guaranteed maternity leave with my current job so my only option is to really just suck it up for the next 5 months. I just don't know if I can keep going for 5 months. I've been thinking about getting a temp job until I need to leave and then just miss out on maternity pay but I don't know if I'll regret not just sticking it out for 5 months.

Reactions: 1
I've reached out to my former manager who is at a company that has an opening that I'm interested in, to ask how life is at that company. Took me a bit to gather my guts to write to him - he was a great manager and I'm still sad he left the team, but I'm unbelievably shy/introverted sometimes :rolleyes: I have had a racing heart and broke out into a sweat just because of an email or straight up didn't check my mails because there could be one lurking there, it's ridiculous. Not sure how I think I would do in an interview, but here I am.
I had a couple of days off and while I look forward to my teammates, the extreme work situation is again looming over me and I already know that when I switch on my laptop tomorrow, it'll take twenty minutes tops until I'm sitting here in rather helpless rage.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am feeling very over my job. I'm part of a huge surge of people in my profession who all want to leave for similar reasons. Mine is also personal, I miss my old colleagues, they have mostly left or retired and been replaced with boring dickheads. Rarely laugh anymore at work which was one of the things that kept me going. It's grinding me down.

Hi guys, my company has recently been taken over and the new management are great but the changes that have been made structure wise have made me dread the meetings 3x week. However, I'm 15 weeks pregnant and due to go on maternity end of summer. So it's not that easy for me to apply for jobs as i'm guaranteed maternity leave with my current job so my only option is to really just suck it up for the next 5 months. I just don't know if I can keep going for 5 months. I've been thinking about getting a temp job until I need to leave and then just miss out on maternity pay but I don't know if I'll regret not just sticking it out for 5 months.
Stick it out for 5 months. Think of your baby (maternity pay).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.