Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel a little uncomfortable asking this but how do you get signed off sick from work? What do you say to the doc and can they refuse you?
I returned to my role after mat leave and have just been left with no training or induction (a lot has changed), I try every day to go in positively and ask what I can do and how I can help and everyone just shrugs at me and there’s an awkward silence. It’s got to the point where I just feel embarrassed and humiliated. My anxiety is really high on a work day and I just feel really low and it’s affecting my confidence in other areas of my life.

I’ve always liked my job and got on well with colleagues. Always been seen as the positive one so it feels really horrible to be in this situation.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I feel a little uncomfortable asking this but how do you get signed off sick from work? What do you say to the doc and can they refuse you?
I returned to my role after mat leave and have just been left with no training or induction (a lot has changed), I try every day to go in positively and ask what I can do and how I can help and everyone just shrugs at me and there’s an awkward silence. It’s got to the point where I just feel embarrassed and humiliated. My anxiety is really high on a work day and I just feel really low and it’s affecting my confidence in other areas of my life.

I’ve always liked my job and got on well with colleagues. Always been seen as the positive one so it feels really horrible to be in this situation.
I went to the doctor about five or six years ago, told them my toxic situation at work and outright said “I am too unwell to work and would like a sicknote, please”

He was incredibly understanding and even asked how much sick leave I got in my contract, what date I wanted the sicknote to start on and so on. Granted, I work in a notoriously high stress profession so maybe that influenced his decision.

I understand that it can be difficult to outright ask but I felt that it was like ripping off a plaster. Once it’s done, it’s out there.

I don’t imagine that many doctors would refuse one because the consequences on them if someone were to be refused a sicknote and then kill themselves or something would be so extreme.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

It’s enough to say exactly what you’ve just said above lovely. Explain how you’re feeling - very anxious and low & need to not be in that toxic situation right now.
No job should ever make anyone mentally or physically unwell!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I recently had to be signed off work due to toxic colleagues who made my life a misery. I had a telephone appointment with my GP. She was so empathetic and understanding. She took so much time to listen to me and asked me how long I wanted to be signed off for. I had to get my stress leave extended quite a few times, and it wasn't a problem. Just be honest, explain precisely how you are feeling. Workplace stress can be debilitating. Good luck.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So after being adamant that I wasn't going to go for a job in the field I have just left, I have just secured an interview in said field 🤣 I guess I figured out was better than nothing! Its temporary and part time, but I think if I get it, it will help me decide for definite whether or not I want to change careers completely. Now absolutely bricking it as I last had a successful interview 18 years ago, and it includes a practical assessment 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 8
EEEEKKKK! Just got this off the back of my interview on Wednesday -

Hi ,

It was lovely to meet you the other day.

We were impressed with your responses and would like to invite you to complete some tasks so we can see how you would deal with certain situations which may arrise in this role.

1. Phone up and leave a voicemail to a client to rearrange a meeting with Liam. You can phone 07XXXXXXXX0.
  2. Write an email that you would send to a client who’s website project needs to be pushed back by 2 weeks because of our staff illness. You can send this email to myself.
  3. Create a spreadsheet template to show how you would keep track of which office equipment/electronics team members have taken home with them - include some example data. Again please email this to myself.
We should be grateful if you could complete these tasks by Tuesday next week (8th March).

If you have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards,

I am ON IT LIKE A CAR BONNET!!!!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
So this morning I went for my first job interview in 18 years and they only went and offered me it! I got out of the interview at 10.30 and they said they'd get me know by lunch time as they still had people to meet. I had a call just before 11 offering me the job!

I'm nervous and excited, it's not the radical change I was after, still in the same field but a totally different set up to what I've done before. The team seemed really nice so fingers crossed it works out 🤞🏻

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
So this morning I went for my first job interview in 18 years and they only went and offered me it! I got out of the inevitable at 10.30 and they said they'd get me know by lunch time as they still had people to meet. I had a call just before 11 offering me the job!

I'm nervous and excited, it's not the radical change I was after, still in the same field but a totally different set up to what I've done before. The team seemed really nice so fingers crossed it works out 🤞🏻
That’s fantastic. Well done you!

Reactions: 2
So this morning I went for my first job interview in 18 years and they only went and offered me it! I got out of the interview at 10.30 and they said they'd get me know by lunch time as they still had people to meet. I had a call just before 11 offering me the job!

Well done!! I love hearing this 👏👏

Brilliant news! Huge congrats - hope you’re somewhere celebrating 🥳

I'm joining in on here - I don't hate my job though, at least not outright hatred. I work for a big tech company and my role involves coordination with teams across multiple time zones. I'm in Europe, the direct team is here as well, but the big boss plus another part of the team is on the US west coast. Unfortunately, the big boss in the US is a vampire and doesn't need sleep and firmly believes in having the team meet basically all week, and for me, that means that I rarely leave before 6 in the evening and more often 7 and it can easily get later than that. I typically start at 9 (40h/week contract). What I hate is that there's often no notice at all, people will book a meeting while I'm asleep and the first thing I see in the morning is that I'll apparently need to stay late that day :rolleyes: and of course, when I cancel on them, it's likely that they get zero notice of my cancellation because they ar are asleep. Plus a false sense of obligation on my end rarely lets me cancel.
It's a high-stress high-reward job (most of the time) but frankly, it's no job where there are emergencies. Giving 24h notice should be doable for everybody.

I've been in this company for nearly 6 years now and while I don't hate the job per se, I hate that it's all-encompassing. I live and breathe this job. I have very little free time, in six years I have not found the time to take a sports class I very much would like to do due to crappy working hours.
The thing is though: the pay is quite good and there has been an announcement that due to the highly competitive labor market our salaries will get a good raise this year. Which, given how inflation is going, would be a great thing! But it won't change anything at all about the actual work situation. Trying to set boundaries by blocking the calendar doesn't help at all.
I'm pondering about applying for jobs at other companies but the "niche" I'm working in plus my location leaves me with not that many options. At the same time, I'd really like to get that salary raise and there's no guarantee that the next company won't be the same. I'm eyeballing a role at another tech company that sounds like I would be a fit for it, but the company isn't from the US, so I'm hoping that their working hours are better. I'm not sure where I'm going with this post - I feel like an asshole sitting out on a job that I have a hate-love relationship with just because they're promising more money. Otoh, I really like my immediate team, they're great people and I'd be sad to no longer see them (and feel bad leaving them with more work), especially as I have not managed to make any friends in this city, my partner and colleagues are my social life (which is as sad as it sounds. Trying to do something about it, but a tad of social anxiety and the crappy working hours are not helping).

Reactions: 6
i don’t know why but i’ve really lost myself when it comes to work. i can see i have a profession and something to offer, but i’m tired of 90% of my day becoming calls and having to manage the bonkers thinking and behaviour of people at the top. i’m so physically and mentally worn out that i can’t face the thought of office days. i just want a quiet corner where i can just do actual work and forget it when the day ends.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I’m really torn with my job. I was bought into the company as HR, as there was no HR function before. My manager has no HR knowledge and I think was just given me to manage as she doesn’t manage anyone else, but her role is completely different.

I have no team, just me, my manager is always in meetings or unavailable and it’s quite lonely having no one else. I want a team and I also want an actual manager to learn from and develop my skills by watching what they do, you know? Also, and this may sound great, for the last month or so I’ve had NO work. I’m just sitting here stagnating.

The reason I’m still here is, I don’t want it to look bad on my CV as I’ve only been here 7 months, the money is great, they offer a great bonus in September (trying to stay on for that) and there’s a tiny bit of me enjoying the fact I can roll out of bed at 9am, watch tele, do chores, get my lashes done, log off at 4pm and no one notices. I’m a bad HR person I know!

I hate it but also the money is nice. What do I do?!

Reactions: 4
I’m really torn with my job. I was bought into the company as HR, as there was no HR function before. My manager has no HR knowledge and I think was just given me to manage as she doesn’t manage anyone else, but her role is completely different.

I have no team, just me, my manager is always in meetings or unavailable and it’s quite lonely having no one else. I want a team and I also want an actual manager to learn from and develop my skills by watching what they do, you know? Also, and this may sound great, for the last month or so I’ve had NO work. I’m just sitting here stagnating.

The reason I’m still here is, I don’t want it to look bad on my CV as I’ve only been here 7 months, the money is great, they offer a great bonus in September (trying to stay on for that) and there’s a tiny bit of me enjoying the fact I can roll out of bed at 9am, watch tele, do chores, get my lashes done, log off at 4pm and no one notices. I’m a bad HR person I know!

What will make you happy ultimately? It doesn’t matter too much about only being in the job 7 months (further down the line in years to come doubt anyone will care to ask!). I’ve seen countless peoples CVs with below a year and I just think the job must not have been right for them.
If you want to stick it out til September for the ££ fair enough! But know that you won’t make any progress or be challenged until after then.
In the mean time, no harm in putting feelers out there, seeing what else is around, and possibly interviewing too!
I think you know the answer 🙂

It sounds like it would be fun for a while but day after day? Not so much. Can you use "work" time to do e-learning things so you're adding to your skills and getting paid for it? There are some good courses out there and it's something to add to your CV too. :)

Reactions: 2

Do you have any HR qualifications? If not, you can always do CIPD courses either in your spare time or while you’ve no work. I think the Level 3 takes an average 7 months to complete so that’ll see you through to September to get your bonus then you can start applying for higher up HR positions?

I’m looking to start the CIPD courses after summer, due to finish my HNC around June and like you I also have a job where I’ve no team and very little work to do. I’m on tit NHS pay though so hoping I can jump up a few bands with my HNC and soon to be HR qualifications!

Reactions: 1
Do you have any HR qualifications? If not, you can always do CIPD courses either in your spare time or while you’ve no work. I think the Level 3 takes an average 7 months to complete so that’ll see you through to September to get your bonus then you can start applying for higher up HR positions?

I’m looking to start the CIPD courses after summer, due to finish my HNC around June and like you I also have a job where I’ve no team and very little work to do. I’m on tit NHS pay though so hoping I can jump up a few bands with my HNC and soon to be HR qualifications!
Thanks for the reply! I have my CIPD 5 already. I’m pretty experienced HR wise - they actually bought me in to redo their policies, recruitment processes etc. That took me the first few months and now no one has noticed I have nothing to do. I want to get stuck into some meaty employee relation cases etc, and learn how to handle really complex cases, I feel like I’m losing any knowledge I had! In my last role I had a brilliant HR director who let me get involved in everything, now I’m sat on my arse watching Bargain Hunt.

I think my plan is stick it until September for the bonus, and then start looking. I’ve got 4 weeks of holiday to use until then too so may as well. I just worry I’m losing my knowledge and in my next interview will struggle to talk about what I did in this role.

Reactions: 4
Thanks for the reply! I have my CIPD 5 already. I’m pretty experienced HR wise - they actually bought me in to redo their policies, recruitment processes etc. That took me the first few months and now no one has noticed I have nothing to do. I want to get stuck into some meaty employee relation cases etc, and learn how to handle really complex cases, I feel like I’m losing any knowledge I had! In my last role I had a brilliant HR director who let me get involved in everything, now I’m sat on my arse watching Bargain Hunt.

I think my plan is stick it until September for the bonus, and then start looking. I’ve got 4 weeks of holiday to use until then too so may as well. I just worry I’m losing my knowledge and in my next interview will struggle to talk about what I did in this role.
Ah okay! Yeah I definitely feel like HR is something you need to be consistently learning and evolving in as it’s so vast. Are there any short courses you could do in the meantime just to keep you going? I’m not sure what’s available for someone at your level though. Or even just take this time to chill and enjoy since you know you’ll be moving on in a few months!🤣

I’m so tempted to start my CIPD 3 now and do some sneaky studying during the day at work. I’m very impatient and don’t want to wait until my HNC is finished to start, even though I know it’s the sensible thing to do lol.

I got so mad again today at the sheer level of incompetence some people I work with display... I know people often say that you shouldn't take things like this personally, but honestly, I find that very hard. I'm busting my very own personal ass there daily, it's my personal time. Not taking it personally then is at least for me quite out there. Also...why do I need to be someone's gopher so often? Nobody is doing that for, but apparently many grown-adults are incapable of it :rolleyes::censored: I'm really not sure if it is just me, but i really do struggle with "not taking it personally".
I explained my predicament to my boyfriend. Since we both work from home and in the same room, he is quite aware of how mad I can sometimes get when I abuse my poor keyboard and talk louder during meetings. I freely admitted to him that I wanted to see what that raise would give me and that to some extent I'm "doing it for the money" (which most people, imo, are guilty of). But that also I do know that the work and situation will not change just because of a raise. Since he wasn't fuming as I still was, he correctly pointed out that I should just apply for whatever I was interested in, as I already know that the situation won't change. I might be the same there, but you can't know unless you try it.
My former manager is at a company I'm interested in, I might contact him to ask how things look from the inside there....

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.