Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not really sure that this is the right thread for me because I do like my job, however I get such bad anxiety before every shift. I’ve worked there for 2 months now and have lost a stone because of how sick I feel from anxiety. I wish I could just quit but with the cost of living going up there’s just no chance

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Not really sure that this is the right thread for me because I do like my job, however I get such bad anxiety before every shift. I’ve worked there for 2 months now and have lost a stone because of how sick I feel from anxiety. I wish I could just quit but with the cost of living going up there’s just no chance
What is the anxiety about? Can you pinpoint a cause?

What is the anxiety about? Can you pinpoint a cause?
I’ve just always had anxiety, I rarely leave the house because of it. I think within the job it’s because I’m scared to make a mistake or scared I won’t pick up the role fast enough and that my coworkers will get sick of me asking 100 questions

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve just always had anxiety, I rarely leave the house because of it. I think within the job it’s because I’m scared to make a mistake or scared I won’t pick up the role fast enough and that my coworkers will get sick of me asking 100 questions
Are you getting any help for the anxiety. I wonder if your work has any resources - an employee assistance programme? Anxiety is bloody grim. I never used to suffer from it much but the last few years it has taken hold in me.

Reactions: 2
Are you getting any help for the anxiety. I wonder if your work has any resources - an employee assistance programme? Anxiety is bloody grim. I never used to suffer from it much but the last few years it has taken hold in me.
I’ve tried medication and counselling in the past but didn’t find either helpful, I haven’t said anything to work yet as I find it awkward to bring up. I think lockdown has made things worse for people, I hope you’re able to get through it, I feel like I’ll struggle for the rest of my life now

Reactions: 5
I’ve tried medication and counselling in the past but didn’t find either helpful, I haven’t said anything to work yet as I find it awkward to bring up. I think lockdown has made things worse for people, I hope you’re able to get through it, I feel like I’ll struggle for the rest of my life now
I think more people than ever are sympathetic so you might be surprised if you bring it up. Lockdown has damaged a lot of people. More people are mental health savvy and wellbeing is a big thing for employers now. I am peri menopausal too - that really does not help. I hope that you (and I) come out of this. I think we have had too much time alone with our thoughtss

I tried this the other day for racing thoughts - breath in for 4 counts, hold for 4, release for 8. Gave me a little bit of respite.

Sometimes when the thoughts start to crowd in, I say in a stern voice (or internally if I can be overheard) - no! And put my hands out in a dominant way as if warding off danger and say, not today, today I am having an anxiety free day. Come back tomorrow. And then do it again if they keep returning. Sometimes I pretend to be someone I consider a strong no nonsense woman - Janet Street Porter, Miriam Margolyes, Gaby Logan - and think what would they do in this anxious inducing setting. I sound barmy but I am willing to do anything.

I am wondering if anyone else reading has any tips to ward off anxiety. It’s tit.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Following on from the suggestions on this thread I have wrote an email to the man who is "acting" manager whilst everyone is on leave. I have cc'd in my actual manager too. I've wrote about my workload, how I feel I need training on the most major aspects and that I am trying to finish my massive workload before I go on annual leave myself next week but feel I am unable to do some aspects without the said training.

I have two weeks off but I'm already feeling anxious about trying to get everything done before then.

I'm going to evaluate this job whilst away and have a good think about it all.

feel better for getting it off my chest though.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Following on from the suggestions on this thread I have wrote an email to the man who is "acting" manager whilst everyone is on leave. I have cc'd in my actual manager too. I've wrote about my workload, how I feel I need training on the most major aspects and that I am trying to finish my massive workload before I go on annual leave myself next week but feel I am unable to do some aspects without the said training.

I have two weeks off but I'm already feeling anxious about trying to get everything done before then.

Well done. The ball is now in their court. They will either help you thrive, or let you flounder. If latter, you need to get out. Don’t leave without something else, but pull back your worry and your output, see it as a stepping stone to another job, not your permanent place.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Enjoy your leave, you’ve done all you can for now. Don’t take on any new tasks before you go on leave, and block out your diary for your first day back so people can’t just fill it with meetings!

Reactions: 3
I’ve bought a cake for my last day tomorrow. Bittersweet feeling. I love the people I work with and I wouldn’t be leaving if it was based on my colleagues but I’ve got to do what’s best for me. Can’t wait to have a few days off before I start my new job

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Well done. Just do what you reasonably can before your annual leave, and if it’s not finished, then so be it, you’ve given them advance notice that you cannot get it all done yourself without adequate training, etc. Please do ensure you take your annual leave as planned, the work will probably still be there when you get back, but it will just have to wait, or be taken on by someone else if it’s urgent. Flagging it up now as you have means you’ve done the responsible thing and advocated for yourself. I admire that.

Reactions: 2
So I like my job (I teach english as a foreign language) but I am getting increasignly annoyed at how much unpaid admin have to do, this is pretty niche (we are all on 0 hours contracts) I was just sent an email about a training I have to do "it is in your contract" but I cannot as it is out of work hours, has anyone been in this situation? I do not want to refuse incase they just fire me

So I like my job (I teach english as a foreign language) but I am getting increasignly annoyed at how much unpaid admin have to do, this is pretty niche (we are all on 0 hours contracts) I was just sent an email about a training I have to do "it is in your contract" but I cannot as it is out of work hours, has anyone been in this situation? I do not want to refuse incase they just fire me
Ask for clarification- if it is out of hours can they give you a payment?

So update: Basically all the staff in my department are going to be based in Manchester, while I alone am left in London, and the Chairman has said he wants everyone to come twice a week (which I can't blame him, as no one is going in). Having to pay 8 times a month for train fares is a lot, so I'm going to ask if I can go to Manchester twice a month (as the Business will pay) and try to save some money, plus get to know my line manager (who will be in Manchester).

Reactions: 4
So I posted this on an advice thread but I think it might be better here 😂

So I’ve got a job interview on Friday. I had a teams call with the manager yesterday (informal) and she loved me. It was meant to be next Tuesday the interview but they want to bring it forward (she spoke to her Bosses and they agreed they wanted to meet me asap), they need someone to start literally ASAP as the other girl is leaving on the 9th. She said they haven’t had many candidates either and she gets the jist from meeting me on Teams I would be an amazing fit for the role.

I usually have more time to “prepare” for an interview but I really want to leave my current job asap, give my week notice and it’ll mean I also save £260 a month on Petrol & won’t be travelling 3 hours a week☺

I’m cramming in revision too (I’m usually really good at interviews and don’t get nervous at all..)

Has anyone had an interview where they’ve had literally 2 days to prepare/revise for it and they’ve done well? I don’t want to move the interview as I think the fact I only have a week notice at work is a BIG factor to me getting the job, along with my skill set & she was just really impressed with me.

also- I’m going to mention in the interview that I usually get a good week to revise / prepare🙂🤣

i really hope I find out same day if I’ve got the job, I HATE MY JOB! And I can’t wait to be rid of it.

If I get the job I’ll hand my notice in right away. I really wish I could get out working my notice (it’s only a week!!)

Thank you

So I posted this on an advice thread but I think it might be better here 😂

So I’ve got a job interview on Friday. I had a teams call with the manager yesterday (informal) and she loved me. It was meant to be next Tuesday the interview but they want to bring it forward (she spoke to her Bosses and they agreed they wanted to meet me asap), they need someone to start literally ASAP as the other girl is leaving on the 9th. She said they haven’t had many candidates either and she gets the jist from meeting me on Teams I would be an amazing fit for the role.

I usually have more time to “prepare” for an interview but I really want to leave my current job asap, give my week notice and it’ll mean I also save £260 a month on Petrol & won’t be travelling 3 hours a week☺

I’m cramming in revision too (I’m usually really good at interviews and don’t get nervous at all..)

Has anyone had an interview where they’ve had literally 2 days to prepare/revise for it and they’ve done well? I don’t want to move the interview as I think the fact I only have a week notice at work is a BIG factor to me getting the job, along with my skill set & she was just really impressed with me.

also- I’m going to mention in the interview that I usually get a good week to revise / prepare🙂🤣

i really hope I find out same day if I’ve got the job, I HATE MY JOB! And I can’t wait to be rid of it.

If I get the job I’ll hand my notice in right away. I really wish I could get out working my notice (it’s only a week!!)

Thank you
Is the interview in person or via teams?

I recently had 2 interviews, one on teams one in person and was offered both jobs, I did a days worth of revision for both too so hope this is helpful 😅

I basically got the job description up, looked at the key responsibilities, things they'll likely want you to demonstrate in the interview and wrote them down in bullet points, I did the question in one colour and my answer in another. I also wrote down prompts for the standard interview questions everyone seems to ask, 'give me an example of a time you xxxxxx'. I kept the paper with me and any time I got 5 minutes I would read through it slowly. I took it in the car to the in person interview and read through it just as I went in, and my teams interview I kept it on my knee. It is crazy how much info goes in when you write things down and scan through a few times!

Good Luck, and I hope that was slightly helpful

Reactions: 5
@al255 congrats on getting to the next stage, it sounds like you passed with more than flying colours!
And to answer your question: I got my previous job after only three days of notice that I was about to be interviewed and it went all fine. The interviews were held in person (it was one of those where you talk in succession with multiple people about different things), I could have brought out notes and it's totally fine to ask for a moment to consider a question.

If you have time, try to revise a bit before, but don't give it too much thought - you aced the first one already and the first one is usually the one where the overall question is "why should we hire this person" and you obviously gave them plenty of data to show that you're a good fit. After that, the question is more "is there anything telling us to not hire this person". I interviewed a lot of people in my previous job myself and it's really totally fine if you ask for a moment to go over a question or ask them to rephrase it.

Do you know who you'll be talking with? I was given a schedule of the person I'd be talking to and I took ~20 min to look them up on LinkedIn to get a feel of where they are in the company and to try to anticipate what they might ask, maybe that could help you get a feel for them.

So just to answer you both. Interviews don’t phase me, I’ve had lots of experience with what to ask etc etc and I understand general interview techniques. In my previous job I also interviewed people so I have seen it on both sides.

eeeek - I’m slightly nervous which is a good thing. Yeah I feel confident defo cos she just really liked me.

So first informal chat with the lady was over teams and the 2nd “interview” is going to be face to face.

I’ve jotted some things down but a lot of the “tell me a time when…” I know the answer in my head anyway. It sounds like I’ve got an amazing chance at the job just never had such little time to prep😂😂😂😫 thank you both x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.