Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You can evidence that you asked for the training you were promised many times. That lack of training, your newness as an employee, the increased workload. Don’t go in teary, go in with head held high and say that the way you have been treated as a new employee has been disgraceful and whilst you regret the missed deadline the circumstances were extraordinary and not something you could avoid given the circumstances which were not of your making. Tell them they are not getting the best of you, and that your mental health has taken a real dip since joining their enterprise. Then try and get out asap.
Thanks!

The meeting was cancelled in the end. No idea why.

I've spoken to my manager and we've agreed to talk about it when he is back from annual leave.

This seems to happen a lot, there's not enough members of staff that things seem to get cancelled all the time or moved to other dates. I can't seem to pin anyone down for anything.

Another mini rant. I'm trying to keep it brief so it's not too outing but I only work in a small department and there's a handful of managers. They're all on annual leave from next week too so it'll be a nightmare as I still need to get certain work "signed off" before it can be sent to other departments and only a manager can authorise that.

It all seems to be a bit of a nightmare to be honest 😅

I did tell myself I'd stay until probation was over and then start looking for a new role. I am wary of changing roles too quickly though - I don't want to be seen as job hopping.

I hope things improve (trying to be optimistic here!)

Reactions: 2
Out of interest, in terms of leaving jobs. What time span would you class as job hopping and what is justified as I am just leaving a job? Trying to figure out if I am a serial hopper or not 😅

Out of interest, in terms of leaving jobs. What time span would you class as job hopping and what is justified as I am just leaving a job? Trying to figure out if I am a serial hopper or not 😅
I think it really depends on a situation but to me having more than 2 jobs in one year would seem like job hopping. But it depends on the context and also other times in the career eg. Someone could've been in a job for 5 years then changed jobs a few times in a year, then stayed at one job for longer. Or someone could have a new job every year or two which to me would be job hopping unless you're a contractor. Also it probably depends on the industry, some industries are probably more likely to have people move about a lot

Reactions: 1
I think it really depends on a situation but to me having more than 2 jobs in one year would seem like job hopping. But it depends on the context and also other times in the career eg. Someone could've been in a job for 5 years then changed jobs a few times in a year, then stayed at one job for longer. Or someone could have a new job every year or two which to me would be job hopping unless you're a contractor. Also it probably depends on the industry, some industries are probably more likely to have people move about a lot

That makes sense! I think it's just my manager has got in my head.

My previous job I stayed just over a year, and I am about to hand my notice in in my current one having been there for roughly the same amount of time.

Rant incoming haha!!

I'm four months into a job which is quite high level for my experience level. Was told at interview I'd be given comprehensive training & not to worry etc etc.

First couple months were OK but no real training, the odd session here and there with an experienced member of staff. I muddled through.

Two people left the department and then it all went to sh*t. Not enough staff for the workload given. I've been thrown into the deep end and have had barely any support or training. I've flagged it up various times and been told training is coming... (Haha ok then..!)

Missed a big deadline on something and now I'm in the sh*t. Feeling really teary right now. Desperately trying to juggle a million tasks here there and everywhere, my mental health has plummeted and I've been told I need to explain myself to the boss later. Feeling a bit shaken up. Worried of consequences.

I'm four months in yet feel I need to get out already. Turnover is high and I can see why, I really can.

Edited to add - pisses me off no end when companies bang on about training & giving employees the chance to succeed & then do absolutely nothing to train their employees. Decisions in my job have consequences & it's been bloody horrible trying not to do something wrong. I would not have taken the job if I knew this is what it'd be like.
Explain to the boss about how you feel and the lack of the promised training - it’s their fault.

That makes sense! I think it's just my manager has got in my head.

My previous job I stayed just over a year, and I am about to hand my notice in in my current one having been there for roughly the same amount of time.
To be honest, gone are the days where you stay at one employer for 40 years. Times are hard, people need to have work life balance and to be able to afford bills, if the job isn’t working out you shouldn’t be punished. I think a year is okay.

Reactions: 6
I would not stay in a job for a year if all that was holding me back was being seen as a job hopper. In any case you have nothing to lose by applying elsewhere - they can either look at your cv and think you were flighty and take your application no further, or if you get called for an interview and they ask why you wanted to move on after a short time, you can say that that you were not enjoying the role, it wasn’t as advertised and wanted to move on somewhere that was a better fit for you. Doesn’t stop them rejecting you, but doesn’t stop you applying. Unless you cv is littered with jobs of a few months duration I doubt a future employer would care.

Reactions: 5
I have a job offer!! Better pay, hybrid role, bigger company. Trying to decide if I really want to leave my current job. Loyalty don't pay the bills!

I might ask if they can match the salary? Anyone got any experience of this??
Congrats :) you want your current job to match the salary? Can I ask why you were looking if you are willing to stay where you are - were you unhappy anyway or was it just money?

Rant incoming haha!!

I'm four months into a job which is quite high level for my experience level. Was told at interview I'd be given comprehensive training & not to worry etc etc.

First couple months were OK but no real training, the odd session here and there with an experienced member of staff. I muddled through.

Two people left the department and then it all went to sh*t. Not enough staff for the workload given. I've been thrown into the deep end and have had barely any support or training. I've flagged it up various times and been told training is coming... (Haha ok then..!)

Missed a big deadline on something and now I'm in the sh*t. Feeling really teary right now. Desperately trying to juggle a million tasks here there and everywhere, my mental health has plummeted and I've been told I need to explain myself to the boss later. Feeling a bit shaken up. Worried of consequences.

I'm four months in yet feel I need to get out already. Turnover is high and I can see why, I really can.

Edited to add - pisses me off no end when companies bang on about training & giving employees the chance to succeed & then do absolutely nothing to train their employees. Decisions in my job have consequences & it's been bloody horrible trying not to do something wrong. I would not have taken the job if I knew this is what it'd be like.
Rubbish situation to be in, but make it someone else’s problem. Whoever you report to, arrange regular (weekly or daily as appropriate) meetings to discuss priorities, and when they make something a priority that you haven’t been trained to do simply tell them you can’t take on x as you haven’t been trained to do so.
in terms of explaining yourself to the boss, I’d tell the boss that in hindsight my mistake was taking on the task without the appropriate training/when there was too much other work on or whatever the case is, and that really it’s gotten to a point where the training needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Congrats :) you want your current job to match the salary? Can I ask why you were looking if you are willing to stay where you are - were you unhappy anyway or was it just money?
A friend with less experience left and got a 40% payrise elsewhere so I was just intrigued to see what else was out there for me!

Reactions: 3
That's really the way to go if you want a substantial pay rise - look elsewhere, or apply for a different role in your company. How much time do you have to accept the offer? It probably doesn't hurt to ask, but think about it this way: That other company is willing to pay you this much money - essentially, your current company is underpaying you, for one reason or another.

A friend with less experience left and got a 40% payrise elsewhere so I was just intrigued to see what else was out there for me!
That’s a lovely increase. Personally, once I’ve gone through the motions of interviewing & being offered a new job etc there wouldn’t be much to entice me to stay in the current role. I’m sure I’ve heard before that even when people accept something to stay with their current employer, a high percentage leave within 6 months anyway. If it’s *just* money that motivated you to look elsewhere that might not apply to you.

I go through phases of hating my job, its definitely coming back again and noticing Sunday night/pretty much full day worry setting in again. There is an off site all staff event this week during work time, which my manager hasn't specifically said its compulsory to attend or you don't have to attend and i'm very anxious about how to play it. I cant see anything in my contract saying its compulsory to attend but everyone seems to see it as a given. I work in a team of all males, quite a bit older and they seem to have very different view of the world which make for uncomfortable listening. I know i should grin and bear it for an easy life but i'm really tempted to play dumb and say i thought it was optional/for specific group of staff.

I go through phases of hating my job, its definitely coming back again and noticing Sunday night/pretty much full day worry setting in again. There is an off site all staff event this week during work time, which my manager hasn't specifically said its compulsory to attend or you don't have to attend and i'm very anxious about how to play it. I cant see anything in my contract saying its compulsory to attend but everyone seems to see it as a given. I work in a team of all males, quite a bit older and they seem to have very different view of the world which make for uncomfortable listening. I know i should grin and bear it for an easy life but i'm really tempted to play dumb and say i thought it was optional/for specific group of staff.
In my previous company there were always loads of these off site staff social events, almost every month and always after working hours. Although it wasn't compulsory to attend you still feel you had to.

It was a nightmare for me as I was commuting into the city my company was based in, so I wouldn't get home till midnight (and then you'd be expected to be at work bright and early the next morning!)

No advice but I hear you!

Why not test the waters. See what happens if you miss one.

I despise my job and management are awful, constantly making bad decisions and, I feel, showing contempt for lower banded staff. I WFH which makes it slightly more bearable but I wake most mornings with a lump in my throat, anxious about logging on and having an unbearable day. Last week there were more terrible decisions made and I was vocal with my opinions on the team call. I’ve had a zoom call this morning with a manager calling me out on my “rude and aggressive manner” and I’d made others feel uncomfortable. I’m mortified I made people uncomfortable but I couldn’t bring myself to apologise for my opinion which I felt was valid. I don’t know where to go from here? Do I cease participation on all future team meeetings? It’s very much if you have an opinion you’re a trouble maker situation but now I’m seen as the rude team member but I’m just do miserable. Any ideas how I can get out of this hole without quitting my job?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I love my job role but hate where I have to do it. It’s toxic. One of my colleagues works the same shifts every week while the rest of us are flexible. Wake up every morning dreading what digs she’ll be making in the group chat at the rest of us

• Sad
I think you are just done at that place of work. You have reached the end of your road at that particular workplace. If you keep schtum you will not be happy. If you are feeling dread all the time it will make you ill. Sometimes you just have to move on. I should have done so years ago, too late for me. I have now become a Quiet Quitter, see above posts further up the thread.

I despise my job and management are awful, constantly making bad decisions and, I feel, showing contempt for lower banded staff. I WFH which makes it slightly more bearable but I wake most mornings with a lump in my throat, anxious about logging on and having an unbearable day. Last week there were more terrible decisions made and I was vocal with my opinions on the team call. I’ve had a zoom call this morning with a manager calling me out on my “rude and aggressive manner” and I’d made others feel uncomfortable. I’m mortified I made people uncomfortable but I couldn’t bring myself to apologise for my opinion which I felt was valid. I don’t know where to go from here? Do I cease participation on all future team meeetings? It’s very much if you have an opinion you’re a trouble maker situation but now I’m seen as the rude team member but I’m just do miserable. Any ideas how I can get out of this hole without quitting my job?

I'm so sorry! Meetings should be a place where people can express their opinions, even if they are not in the majority. I assume that while you expressed that you weren't happy with the decisions made, you weren't rude to anybody. Maybe think back to the situation - did you say anything that would truly make people uncomfortable, use language that might have come out in the heat of the moment but you wouldn't normally use?
It could also just be that it took people by surprise that someone actually spoke up. Yep, they may have been a tad uncomfortable, but that also might be because they didn't know how to react either, plus who knows who was actually uncomfortable? The person you challenged? Well, if they make the decisions, they have to live with people standing their ground. The bolded section to me reads like that is what has happened - you dared to have an opinion and made someone important look slightly frazzled. It was probably them who felt uncomfortable.
Look back on it, evaluate with a clean head whether there's anything you ought to apologize for (e.g. some phrase, volume, etc) if you truly feel you need to, otherwise, act normal. If there's someone in the team you can talk to and who was there, you could ask for their opinion on it. But don't hide in team meetings.
I'm one of those persons that bite down a lot before I say something and it then sometimes comes out wrong and I'm usually mortified afterwards and what to die in some hole. I realize that being introverted and potentially having some anxiety problem might be causing it, but please do not feel like you cannot express your opinion - I know that I do that way too often, but at the same time, people speaking up is what is important and brings progress. Don't be me.

I'm so sorry! Meetings should be a place where people can express their opinions, even if they are not in the majority. I assume that while you expressed that you weren't happy with the decisions made, you weren't rude to anybody. Maybe think back to the situation - did you say anything that would truly make people uncomfortable, use language that might have come out in the heat of the moment but you wouldn't normally use?
It could also just be that it took people by surprise that someone actually spoke up. Yep, they may have been a tad uncomfortable, but that also might be because they didn't know how to react either, plus who knows who was actually uncomfortable? The person you challenged? Well, if they make the decisions, they have to live with people standing their ground. The bolded section to me reads like that is what has happened - you dared to have an opinion and made someone important look slightly frazzled. It was probably them who felt uncomfortable.
Look back on it, evaluate with a clean head whether there's anything you ought to apologize for (e.g. some phrase, volume, etc) if you truly feel you need to, otherwise, act normal. If there's someone in the team you can talk to and who was there, you could ask for their opinion on it. But don't hide in team meetings.
I'm one of those persons that bite down a lot before I say something and it then sometimes comes out wrong and I'm usually mortified afterwards and what to die in some hole. I realize that being introverted and potentially having some anxiety problem might be causing it, but please do not feel like you cannot express your opinion - I know that I do that way too often, but at the same time, people speaking up is what is important and brings progress. Don't be me.
Thank you so much, you are spot on and I do think it’s more swaying towards them feeling uncomfortable because I caught them off guard and went against their stupid plan. I don’t feel I was aggressive but I didn’t deliver it in a flowery manner either. We are told it’s a safe space to express opinions but it clearly isn’t. The management is very toxic. I was in turn caught off guard this morning because they’d obviously practiced what they were going to say and immediately had the upper-hand. I feel extremely anxious now and when my alarm clock goes off tomorrow I know I’ll just want to throw myself down the stairs than log on. I feel completely helpless and stuck

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I would say just "forget" the event is happening and see what happens. Keep yourself busy with some work. They surely can't have a go at you for working.
It's so annoying when any valid criticism is seen as troublemaking. Have been there before ☹

Thank you so much, you are spot on and I do think it’s more swaying towards them feeling uncomfortable because I caught them off guard and went against their stupid plan. I don’t feel I was aggressive but I didn’t deliver it in a flowery manner either. We are told it’s a safe space to express opinions but it clearly isn’t. The management is very toxic. I was in turn caught off guard this morning because they’d obviously practiced what they were going to say and immediately had the upper-hand. I feel extremely anxious now and when my alarm clock goes off tomorrow I know I’ll just want to throw myself down the stairs than log on. I feel completely helpless and stuck
Is there in impartial person at work you can ask some advice from? Someone who knows your team so might know how best to approach the topic with the manager?

I would say just "forget" the event is happening and see what happens. Keep yourself busy with some work. They surely can't have a go at you for working.

It's so annoying when any valid criticism is seen as troublemaking. Have been there before ☹

Is there in impartial person at work you can ask some advice from? Someone who knows your team so might know how best to approach the topic with the manager?
There isn’t anyone and I don’t know who said they’d been made to feel uncomfortable so I don’t want to make the situation worse. I’m just going to go completely silent. Get my head down with work but not participate in any team meetings and not have any opinions or views. It’s the only way to get off people’s radars

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.