Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Talensandtruths

Hey all,
I’ve finally decided to bite the bullet and hand in my notice tomorrow. I’ve had 2 panic attacks in the last week & I’m on the brink of a breakdown. I’ve not got anything lined up (yet) and want to change career paths as I can’t cope with being in the public sector anymore. I’m burnt out from bullying/mind games & the pressures are too much. I feel guilty because I’m another healthcare professional to leave, but my physical/mental well-being & family means more.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

daisychainx

I just wanted to come and say that this thread has been such a comfort to me over the past few months. I hate that you’re all hating your jobs too but knowing there were other people in my position and people who had managed to get out and change that was reassuring.

I’ve been through a pretty intense interview process but got a call today to say that I’ve got the job and the relief is indescribable. I am sending the best vibes for all of you applying and starting to look and I truly hope all of you find the perfect job for you very soon. Life is too short to hate 80% of your week. ❤

• Heart

xbxbx

Chatty Member
This isn’t just aimed at my current job but with every job I’ve had I’ve always felt like it’s an inconvenience, as though it’s getting in the way of me doing something else. Not sure if this makes sense or if it’s just me but I can never ‘settle’ or get into a routine of getting up, getting ready and going to work because it feels like I should be elsewhere. Even though I have nowhere else to be because I need to go to work to earn a living😂. Kinda like I’m constantly waiting for the weekend to have some free time to do the things that my mind seems to think I should be doing during the week.. It could even be mundane things like cleaning the kitchen. In my head I’m annoyed that I have to go to work because that’s stopping me from being able to clean the kitchen that day lol.

Bit of a pointless rant really but I’m having one of those days where I’m annoyed that I’m at work because there’s a million other things I could be doing at home right now🤣

• Heart

KB2611

So Boris had the bright idea to say we can RTW and scrap social distancing.
Just incase everybody hates their job job and does not wish to return.... apple juice provides a positive result on a lateral flow. Thank me later 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17

House of Tea

VIP Member
I told my manager I was leaving today and it was one of the worst things I ever did.
He asked whether he could talk to me today and opened the chat by telling me that another person, the same role as me, was leaving. Saw my "chance" and jumped in right there, before he tried to delegate any work to me. It was sooo horrible, the expression on his face, slumping on his chair 😢 Of course, he wanted to know the whys and what the company could offer to make me stay, but I'm not... I signed the contract already and I also explained why I don't want to stay, all the things that led to this have been "we need to change this" things for a while and it's simply not going to happen.
Well, at least that is off the table now, couldn't sleep last night as my mind was spinning about how that conversation would go and I had only expected it to happen tomorrow. 1/10 though, wouldn't recommend, if you truly like your team and manager, it feels like a betrayal. And I'll have to do this a couple of more times with my immediate teammates.
I am a bit blunt speaking. Repeat to yourself, I am a unit of work. If they have to make people redundant, they would do it in a heartbeat. You have every right to take your labour elsewhere. It isn’t a betrayal, it’s life. You exchange your labour for money to live. You can like people at work, but 9/10 they are just acquaintances made at work, and the friendships don’t last outside the workplace. To be honest, you are being too emotional. Nobody is indispensable, however much we like to think we are.Life and work will go on in your present company. You leaving will not wreck the business, your manager has already started the recruitment ball rolling. Your immediate teammates will probably miss you but very doubtful they will feel betrayed. And if for some reason they do, they will soon get over it. Good luck in your new role.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I know from experience that it's probably more to do with the fact the people you work with are toxic. I've had a really shit job at amazon when I was younger but absolutely loved it because the people I worked with were a great. Then I moved on to a proper job and hated it because the boss and everybody working there were assholes.
Unfortunately you can't tell what people will be like until you start working there.
Like other people said start applying for anything and everything that you might find intersting.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

TJ90

VIP Member
It drives me crazy that peoples behaviour is seen as acceptable because ‘it’s just the way they are’ it’s a shitty excuse from a shitty manager.
Whether ‘it’s the way they are’ or not, they should be held accountable for being a twat at work, it’s unacceptable

HumphreyB

VIP Member
I think I’ve reached my limits with dealing with the public. Was chatting to my colleague during the week and she said the same. When you have to work with the public you get to a stage where your sick of the sight of them. I’m there. It’s exhausting, thankless and frustrating

daisychainx

I’m done! Last day over and done with after a long 3 months notice.

Can completely relate to the poster above with feelings of ‘have I done the right thing?’ and it felt a bit strange to walk out for the final time but I am just trying to focus on how unhappy I’ve been for the last year and hoping this new job will be a breath of fresh air.

For now, a celebratory dinner and lots of prosecco!

• Heart

Dimpz

I changed careers in 2015 and was constantly unhappy. I always thought it was the company and would jump from job to job in the same field. I do struggle with my mental health anyway but found work stress just made things worse.
Like many people on this thread I'd leave work on Friday already dreading Monday morning. In March last year I got sacked due to my mental health and lived off Universal Credit for a few months, it's hard and you have no spare money what so ever but it gave me a chance to recover mentally.

I'm now working from home in a very basic, low stress role for a huge company that looks after their employees. The salary is no way near what I used to be on and money is tight but I have a lovely team around me and no longer feel the work dread.

I know it's so hard to look elsewhere when you're used to a certain salary but for me, whilst I had a "career" I was miserable. Now I don't really have any career prospects but feel 100 times better.

• Heart

jemma2223

I handed my notice in today and my boss asked the reason for me leaving so I told him it’s the little workload I have.. he then proceeded to tell me that the reason for that is because he heard talks of me wanting to start a family and he basically didn’t want to progress my role on the terms I would be going on maternity leave. At no point did I say to his face that I was going to start a family right this minute. I don’t know if this is just a bullshit reason as to why I was never busy or trying to justify the little workload

• Wow
  • Angry

ElectricDreams

VIP Member
I started my new job today, and already its a million times better than my old one. I certainly don't regret making the decision to quit my old job with nothing to go to. Best thing I ever did😊

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
Has anyone quit a job early on? I moved into a new job 3 months ago and have hated every second. I’ve managed to secure a new role and will be handing my notice in soon. Luckily my notice period is only a week as I’m still in my probation period. I’m dreading it though. Worried how my manager will take it (they are part of the reason I’ve hated it here).
Repeat after me - I am a unit of work. I exchange my labour for money. It isn’t personal if I decide to move on, it is the best thing to do for me.

(If the employer wanted to get rid of you rather than you wanting to leave, they would get rid of you in a heartbeat. Work is transactional, how your manager takes the news is his/her business, you are doing nothing wrong.) You will never see these people again. You will forget them, they will forget you, a week is nothing. Don’t give it another thought.)

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Very traditional

VIP Member
Just want to say hang on in there to all you people still struggling. I don't think Ive posted in this group before but I've read it for weeks. After being furloughed for 5 months last year my boss made our working days unbearable. He changed things with no consultation, lowered wages and generally told us we had 2 choices, like it or lump it. I regularly came home from work crying, barely slept and over ate to comfort myself. In February I applied for a job I really wanted in a very limited job market in my area. I was shortlisted, interviewed, had a second interview and was offered he job. I started last week and I can't believe the sense of relief. Have faith in yourselves, you willl find something else and if you need to leave before finding another job do it. I didn't realise the full impact my toxic workplace was having on my mental health til I left and the change in me in just over a week is incredible.

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
I had a job interview this morning and I'm hoping I get it but I'm terrified of handing in my notice. I don't want there to be an atmosphere and I would really be leaving them in the shit but I need out.
You are a unit of work to an employer. Don’t stress out about it. They wouldn’t if they had to get rid of you.

• Heart

Mamacita

VIP Member
I hate work full stop. It’s the lack of control, the fulfilment of other people’s agendas, the office politics, the people. It all feels pointless. So many jobs are bullshit jobs. We are not saving lives, it’s all a futile game. I am a tad disillusioned you might be able to tell.
It is such bullshit, isn't it. I honestly can't stop rolling my eyes, especially when I hear things like strategy, vision, mission etc. Fuck off meaningless words

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
I am watching Loose Women. I am WAH but having my lunch*. The next item is on Quiet Quitters. Those people who are still employed but are doing the minimum. That is now me. I meet my targets but all the unappreciated extras and angst over trivia has now gone. I don’t want flowery words, or progression, I just want to do my job competently but as quickly as possible and not above and beyond. And not get involved in any other shit, extra projects, office politics, collections, social gatherings. I proclaim it out loud. I am a Quiet Quitter. I could not care less. I am over it all.

*It will be a long lunch.

• Heart