Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

1001 others

VIP Member
I loathe my newish job. I started off as a contact centre agent; now I'm a team leader (although I still take calls in the afternoons).

In theory, it sounds like a great job - I get to work from home (sometimes at a serviced office if my internet connection is dodgy), the people are mostly wonderful, it pays fine and the work is interesting. But ... well, I don't like being the big bad wolf who has to pull people up on every little thing. It's really not me and actually wears me down. I have been reminded a couple of times that you can't be friends with your staff, which I do get, but that doesn't mean I can't (and don't) care about them.

I still dabble in freelancing and I am going back to do some work for someone who I really enjoyed working with previously, doing something I love, soon; so that is something to look forward to. There's no chance of it going full-time though as there just isn't enough work on.

I'm considered 'ancient' to prospective employers (I'm late 40s) so feel lucky to have work ... I just wish I'd done things differently when I was younger.

Oh well, too late now.

Does anyone have a WFH job? I kinda think I want to go down this route but wanted to hear pros and cons? I never got to work from home throughout the pandemic so I’ve never experienced it before
If you're self-managing and like to be left to get on with what you have to do, then it's great. If you enjoy bouncing ideas of others and general office banter, then I think you'd struggle. If you're reliant on a stable internet connection and yours is not the best, then it will prove very stressful if you don't have a backup plan (I have this issue and go to work from a serviced office when it's a problem). It's key to have a dedicated room where you can work - if you're working somewhere that you have to clear away every so often (such as the dining table) then it'll just prove to be problematic.

If you're not sure, then perhaps consider a hybrid style of working - in the office some days; working from home others.

Last edited:

jemma2223

I've had three months (it's the norm here when you're no longer on probation). Absolute bonkers - I had to tell everybody I was leaving and since then I'm floating in some weird space where nobody wanted to hand me stuff but since I was sticking around for so much longer, they had to give me something, otherwise I'd just sit around, so I ended up actually not handing things over, but carrying on as if I never gave notice.
6 days to go. Wednesday is my "farewell dinner", that'll be interesting and a bit sad.
Ouch, 3 months?! I should think myself lucky. I’m only 1 week into my notice and it’s gets worse as the days go on. Only 14 more days to go:ROFLMAO:

TheGlossy

VIP Member
Perhaps lead the change? Try to find a staff engagement forum and bring the issues that you are struggling with into light? Better still, make one. And get other people involved. Even if you then decide to leave, you are leaving a legacy
Thank you, appreciate the suggestion.

There's a lot of red tape and the team is completely fragmented and a bit of a tough crowd. It could be a bonding strategy, but given the company culture, I don't think it's safe. The management has already supposedly acknowledged the issues, but some of these issues you can't discuss in a forum. It's down to the employee as to whether it matters or not. The management wouldn't appreciate that. I've been there already (try to discuss issues etc...) and it turned against me.

I ended up with a (mini) seizure on Sunday because of the amount of stress I was under, so setting up an engagement forum with these people to keep discussing systemic issues that will never be solved as they seem to be a company-wide problem, is probably not my focus now. Besides, given how fragmented the team is, would be willing to engage, I'm 100% sure.

jaymie

VIP Member
As a matter of fact, I often heard SMs complaining about "juniors". I was sitting in front of this SM who kept repeating "OMG, these juniors are terrible". I was surprised to hear someone say this out loud!

I think I will certainly rejoin someday if the opportunity presents itself. I wanted to move back into industry to gain more "expert" knowledge with the hope of rejoining Big4 at a higher rank someday. Not sure if this is the best strategy, but I thought it was worth a try.

How long were you in Big4 if you don't mind me asking?
He keeps moaning about juniors like they can't even do any menial tasks properly, and also graduates are doing ACA so is very hard to hand them work.

I was with them for 3 years back in my home country but my partner with big4 for 4.5 years now. One of my regrets is definitely not fought hard enough to join a big 4 in the UK, is a little bit too late now haha! After working in industry vs Big 4, you definitely get more idiots in industry than big 4 hahah, I find!

Re: Not sure if this is the best strategy, but I thought it was worth a try.
We spoke about it just now, he had a colleague that left Big 4 to join the industry for 1-2 years and she was able to rejoin on a higher rank, finger crossed for you! I find Big 4 is also an industry where 'who you know' matters too. That is his plan too but I think he happened to have a very good mentor that advise him the kind of secondment/ projects he should take or not take.
I think at this point, he probably won't leave Big4.

Those were the days, I miss it!

Kandy floss

But that’s different, this would be related to a formal disciplinary procedure and potentially a criminal offense.

What you cannot do is talk about people’s performance, eg “she didn’t meet her target”
This still isn’t true. Performance can be mentioned, again as long as it’s accurate... “can include details about workers’ performance”. This would include targets etc. 🤷🏻‍♀️

E40F25E8-6122-4D2F-A427-DF06603A8CCB.png

TheGlossy

VIP Member
I'm getting really annoyed now. We're constantly monitored by Internal Audit. I had a debacle with them a few weeks ago in relation to them saying we didn't do something on a project when we actually did.

Anyways. A few months ago, I was OOO on annual leave and my manager sent an email saying due to a system issue (one system not feeding correctly into another), we had to copy the exact same information into three different fields for it to feed correctly into the system. I got back from leave and I somehow missed that email. We had a project and I correctly input the information into the one field that was supposed to feed into the other system, but without copying it into the other two fields as they were not fully related. Today, I think we got flagged by internal audit for not having respected the "workaround".

Hang on a minute - I did my job correctly. I input the information into the right field, meaning the one that is supposed to feed into the other system if the systems worked correctly. Why are you flagging us for a breach of workaround? The logic would be to fix the system, not flag your staff because they didn't perform a workaround that shouldn't be there in the first place if your system worked correctly.

I'm sick of these internal audits every 3 days and their ratings on an individual basis. It's ridiculous.

square_spoon

VIP Member
So this morning I went for my first job interview in 18 years and they only went and offered me it! I got out of the interview at 10.30 and they said they'd get me know by lunch time as they still had people to meet. I had a call just before 11 offering me the job!

I'm nervous and excited, it's not the radical change I was after, still in the same field but a totally different set up to what I've done before. The team seemed really nice so fingers crossed it works out 🤞🏻
Brilliant news! Huge congrats - hope you’re somewhere celebrating 🥳

no-no

VIP Member
Asked my boss if he was free and he was so I called him and he answered “yeah?!” 🙄 jeez, I hadn’t spoken to him in two weeks. He also cancelled my PD meeting (he does every time) and rearranged it last, after the apprentice.

I don’t get people who get so engrossed in office politics to the point they treat decent people like dirt. I’m being frozen out because they don’t give me the tools to do my job and old me found solutions to all the obstacles, but now I’m doing what every other dept does and passing it back 👋🏻

The recent online reviews left for the company echo my issues and the fact there’s been lots of leavers this past year, a couple of big ones due to be announced. And a director was definitely slagging me off in a call when I joined the other month as she almost done it again today without noticing I’d joined. Toxic stanks.

I’ve been invited for some interviews but going to decline the ones so far as I will not be going back to these inept, brown-nosing hell holes. One interview email gave “helpful to do tips” e.g. Look the part – it is better to be over-dressed than under-dressed… Do not ramble 🤦🏼‍♀️

User_name_100

I go through phases of hating my job, its definitely coming back again and noticing Sunday night/pretty much full day worry setting in again. There is an off site all staff event this week during work time, which my manager hasn't specifically said its compulsory to attend or you don't have to attend and i'm very anxious about how to play it. I cant see anything in my contract saying its compulsory to attend but everyone seems to see it as a given. I work in a team of all males, quite a bit older and they seem to have very different view of the world which make for uncomfortable listening. I know i should grin and bear it for an easy life but i'm really tempted to play dumb and say i thought it was optional/for specific group of staff.
In my previous company there were always loads of these off site staff social events, almost every month and always after working hours. Although it wasn't compulsory to attend you still feel you had to.

It was a nightmare for me as I was commuting into the city my company was based in, so I wouldn't get home till midnight (and then you'd be expected to be at work bright and early the next morning!)

No advice but I hear you!

Italy2

Chatty Member
How long have you worked there? More or less than two years? I’d suggest giving ACAS a call and see what they suggest.

You could have an informal chat with HR and then read up on your company grievance procedure if things aren’t resolved. Just remember that HR aren’t there for you, they’ll support the company first.
I have been there for nearly 3 years and thank you I'll look into it

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
Out of interest, in terms of leaving jobs. What time span would you class as job hopping and what is justified as I am just leaving a job? Trying to figure out if I am a serial hopper or not 😅

GirlOnTheTrain

The nature of my job means that it is difficult for me to work from home, although I do occasionally. The rest of my team work on another site so I’m pretty much in the office alone all day every day…and it’s really really getting me down as I feel so isolated. I haven’t read through this thread so forgive me if this seems like a small problem but if anyone has any tips for getting through the day please do share!

I am actually looking to make a complete career change but it’s proving more difficult that I first thought.

unidentified

VIP Member
Are the leaders in the scenario internal or external to the organisation? And in terms of sharing what works across sites are you thinking qualitative feedback or performance metrics? Also is something ‘working well’ something this org considers an internal measurement or based on service user feedback?
It’s a bit of a mix really. This will involve supporting teams within the NHS to put cases forward to Trust leaders about investing in the service further. With the sharing good practice it is a mix of both again, about sharing feedback from patients about their care but also if trusts have created resources, how would be best to share this across the country. I’m starting to think I’m maybe better at the actual care than trying to make change 😭