Does anyone hate their job? #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m gobsmacked by this. That’s reportable and you have evidence. Totally unacceptable thing to do!
All of this! Is there an HR departement you can report this to?
And even if you can't, please protect yourself from this person and do not take whatever they say to heart.
If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in? I often find that brainstorming around skills with people from different areas shows a lot of transferable skills, it's only a matter of putting them in the right context.

Reactions: 3
All of this! Is there an HR departement you can report this to?
And even if you can't, please protect yourself from this person and do not take whatever they say to heart.
If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in? I often find that brainstorming around skills with people from different areas shows a lot of transferable skills, it's only a matter of putting them in the right context.
Unfortunately family run business so hr is his sister. So I wish I could report but I can't.
I'm in shipping and logistics and have held numerous roles over the years.
I'm going to take a look at my cv and roles and see how to translate that into anything else.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Unfortunately family run business so hr is his sister. So I wish I could report but I can't.
I'm in shipping and logistics and have held numerous roles over the years.
I'm going to take a look at my cv and roles and see how to translate that into anything else.
Give ACAS a call, there could be a constructive dismissal type case here.

My boss told me over whatsapp yesterday I'm tit lol whilst in the office and sat 3 foot away. Cried on the way home. Feel like I'm trapped in this job because there's nothing out there in my industry and people can't see the transferable skills 😭
HR call back asap !!!!

Does anyone here work for the Civil Service? I do, and I'm really struggling. I joined the CS for the job security and perks from the charity sector, but right now, I'm questioning if it's all worth it.

I feel so institionalised. It's all so corporate and robotic where I am. It's like all the place where all the teacher's pets from school go to work. I can't really talk about it on thecivilservice subreddit, as the users there just typically sum up typical CS-ers. Rude, teacher's pet, bitter, and sarcastic, thinking they're better than everyone. It just feels like no-one is down to earth in the CS.

At Christmas, me and some colleagues got in trouble for having some banter at the work Christmas party. By the way we were treated you'd think we'd murdered someone. Yet, there are people that get away with doing sweet FA and get away with it. It's like they're all just corporate robots who have never had a days fun in their life. In the charity sector, people were chill and more down for a laugh, which I think you need at work, and I miss that.

So here I am folks, wondering if the CS is really worth the golden pension, despite the absolutely horrendous culture.

Reactions: 4
Sorry this might be a long post 😂

For the most part, I don’t mind my job but I’m going through a rough patch atm and I’m dreading everday. I even took some sick days last week because I just needed a break from it all. This is mainly because the managers on my team are so disorganised and we always end up scrambling and stressed days before deadlines and they have no regard for the pressure that is put on the employees who are doing the work.

I’m up for a pretty good promotion in January but my company is notorious for making false promises and promoting people based on who they know. If you have a really good manager who can plead your case you will get promoted which I don’t have. My manager has no backbone, if I raise anything I know it will go no further and there will be no resolutions so I feel a bit deflated.

I can WFH 5 days a week which is amazing for me because it takes off the added pressures of travel and the financial burden that comes with it.

I don’t really know the point of this post lol 😂 but I’m just so conflicted over whether I should work my ass off for the rest of the year in the hopes I get my promotion even though it could be all effort no reward.

life is tough sometimes 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Sorry this might be a long post 😂

For the most part, I don’t mind my job but I’m going through a rough patch atm and I’m dreading everday. I even took some sick days last week because I just needed a break from it all. This is mainly because the managers on my team are so disorganised and we always end up scrambling and stressed days before deadlines and they have no regard for the pressure that is put on the employees who are doing the work.

I’m up for a pretty good promotion in January but my company is notorious for making false promises and promoting people based on who they know. If you have a really good manager who can plead your case you will get promoted which I don’t have. My manager has no backbone, if I raise anything I know it will go no further and there will be no resolutions so I feel a bit deflated.

I can WFH 5 days a week which is amazing for me because it takes off the added pressures of travel and the financial burden that comes with it.

I don’t really know the point of this post lol 😂 but I’m just so conflicted over whether I should work my ass off for the rest of the year in the hopes I get my promotion even though it could be all effort no reward.

life is tough sometimes 😅
Do you think the promotion will make work better and more enjoyable for you? If yes I would say it would be worth working toward and would get you away from your chaotic boss - unless they would remain your manager?

---

I need to get my work stress of my chest and feels like the solidarity place to do it - I'm sorry you're also all in work hell, it really is so tough as we spend most of the week there so it's hard not to let the feelings consume you!

I'm so fed up of my job. My manager is chaotic and we have totally different work styles. Everything seems pointless so it's difficult for me to motivate myself and get stuck into tasks. I've procrastinated so much the past few days.

I applied for a job that I am really excited for and had my hopes so high but haven't heard back about an interview yet - really hope I do but it said the interviews are scheduled for Tuesday so not looking likely, unless they have pushed everything back because of the long weekend.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have a little update, and also looking for a little bit of advice from people who don't know me 😂

So I live away from London, but I have always loved London - I worked there for just over 5 years, and made the decision last year to leave due to management issues and move to a company much closer to home thinking I was ready to settle down with my partner and have children too; fast forward a year, I hate my role, the company, the location, we want to hold off on having kids as we want to buy a house ...
So I have had a few interviews and theres one company that seem extremely hopeful and are very very keen on bringing me on board - even offering to pay for travel, allow me to work maximum 2 days in the london office (travel is around 2 hours each way) and I have the opportunity to be in 2 parts of the business.

The issue I'm having - my family don't want me to go back to London, and think I'm being silly not looking for roles closer to home - how do I tell them this is what I feel is right? Whenever I mention it, everyone's like "but you're going backwards in your career not forwards" with the fact I moaned at travelling 5 days a week when I was last up there whereas now it will only be 2 days, if that!

I just feel that I can't express how I really feel, and I don't know whether this is the right thing to do 😂

I have a little update, and also looking for a little bit of advice from people who don't know me 😂

So I live away from London, but I have always loved London - I worked there for just over 5 years, and made the decision last year to leave due to management issues and move to a company much closer to home thinking I was ready to settle down with my partner and have children too; fast forward a year, I hate my role, the company, the location, we want to hold off on having kids as we want to buy a house ...
So I have had a few interviews and theres one company that seem extremely hopeful and are very very keen on bringing me on board - even offering to pay for travel, allow me to work maximum 2 days in the london office (travel is around 2 hours each way) and I have the opportunity to be in 2 parts of the business.

The issue I'm having - my family don't want me to go back to London, and think I'm being silly not looking for roles closer to home - how do I tell them this is what I feel is right? Whenever I mention it, everyone's like "but you're going backwards in your career not forwards" with the fact I moaned at travelling 5 days a week when I was last up there whereas now it will only be 2 days, if that!

I just feel that I can't express how I really feel, and I don't know whether this is the right thing to do 😂
In my aged experience 😏 I would say if your gut feeling is screaming for this opportunity then go!

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Also I don't really see (a) how this is "going backwards" (b) any of their business. As someone who has a similar commute, you can make it work for you. It certainly does for me and the London salary more than makes up for sitting in local traffic jams, as I used to do on a daily basis. Choose two of the quietest days to commute if you can and it's very doable.

• Heart

Hm - i think there's a couple of things at play here:
1. Are you in fact going backwards in your career, or is this just an assumption your family makes? Family members sometimes don't have a good sense of what we are actually doing all day and maybe it's that they are saying this based on titles, but not actual work? And if it was indeed "backwards", would you mind that fact, or would your rather want to still work for that company?

2. Are you more looking for a job in London, or looking for a new job because your current one didn't work out? If you're keen to work in London, is there a chance you and your partner would want to move there, or closer to London? You seem to be prepared to have the commute and you know the drain of it because you did that in the past already. But would you want to do this exact job closer to home or is it more that it gives you a way out of the job you dislike and the location actually isn't that important?

• Heart
Reactions: 1

It’s your career, it’s nobody else’s. There is a chance this opportunity won’t work out, but there is exactly the same chance that you’ll find a job a 5 minute walk down the road from you that doesn’t work out, too. Your family are not putting in your work hours for you and should be supporting you to find a job that gives you the work satisfaction you’re looking for!

I think my line about the job not working out might have come out all wrong, so I hope you know what I mean! But obviously I wish you all the best and hope it’s the best job ever!

• Heart
Thank you so much for all the responses !!

So to reply to them all (sort of) -
It's definitely not a backwards step, as I've got the opportunity to potentially change my career path within 6 months if I decide I'm happier in the other department so they're happy to take the risk and let me do both for that period of time! I think it will all come down to money, and if they'd offer to cover my travel costs so thats another thing I need to consider!

As for moving, we did consider it but my partner now has a role much closer to home so he wouldn't want to move, and plus we both have some poorly family members so want to be close :(

I think it's because my whole family live down here, they've never really ventured out and they all rely on each other so heavily they don't like how independent I am in a way 😂 I have had a chat with my mum, and she said that she understands its what I want but she just worries a lot 😂

It's definitely not a backwards step, as I've got the opportunity to potentially change my career path within 6 months if I decide I'm happier in the other department so they're happy to take the risk and let me do both for that period of time! I think it will all come down to money, and if they'd offer to cover my travel costs so thats another thing I need to consider!

As for moving, we did consider it but my partner now has a role much closer to home so he wouldn't want to move, and plus we both have some poorly family members so want to be close :(

I think it's because my whole family live down here, they've never really ventured out and they all rely on each other so heavily they don't like how independent I am in a way 😂 I have had a chat with my mum, and she said that she understands its what I want but she just worries a lot 😂
It's your life, not your mum's. Just because she's led a small, insular life there's no reason for you to. Independence and change scare the bejesus out of some people. That's on them. This isn't a dress rehearsal, grab every opportunity by the cojones!

• Heart

My family is the same. I would be a lot worse off now if I'd listened to them and not my raging gut feeling.

• Heart

Honestly, from what you have written, you seem excited about the opportunity, you are in the market for something new anyway and the commute aspect hasn't put you off, it might open up a good career path for you. Seems like you want to and should go for it!

• Heart
Does anyone here work for the Civil Service? I do, and I'm really struggling. I joined the CS for the job security and perks from the charity sector, but right now, I'm questioning if it's all worth it.

I feel so institionalised. It's all so corporate and robotic where I am. It's like all the place where all the teacher's pets from school go to work. I can't really talk about it on thecivilservice subreddit, as the users there just typically sum up typical CS-ers. Rude, teacher's pet, bitter, and sarcastic, thinking they're better than everyone. It just feels like no-one is down to earth in the CS.

At Christmas, me and some colleagues got in trouble for having some banter at the work Christmas party. By the way we were treated you'd think we'd murdered someone. Yet, there are people that get away with doing sweet FA and get away with it. It's like they're all just corporate robots who have never had a days fun in their life. In the charity sector, people were chill and more down for a laugh, which I think you need at work, and I miss that.

So here I am folks, wondering if the CS is really worth the golden pension, despite the absolutely horrendous culture.
Fellow CS here. I joined while I was doing my degree, as it was part time and worked well around uni. I also joined the CS as my late dad (who was still alive at the time I joined) was a civil servant, as was my uncle, my brother, sister, brother in law and two of my cousins. I followed my mum’s career path and trained as an MH nurse, but my dad was disappointed in me and kept asking me constantly when I was going to join the CS like the rest of my family. He was so happy when I told him I had a job in the CS (I had to give up nursing when I became disabled)

I’ve had a pretty awful time- had three periods of being off sick for long periods of time (I’m talking multiple months here) due to bullying management who wanted to make life hard for me because of my disability. Basically last time this happened nobody gave a crap and I was essentially told it was all my fault. I had to fight to get something that others on my team got pretty much immediately, but it took me nearly five years to get. I have also been told not to apply for promotion as ‘it’s above my intelligence level’ (I have two undergraduate degrees, including a 2:1 with honours, and a Masters degree with Merit) This came from someone who doesn’t have a degree and whose written English is so poor that her emails are frequently unintelligible)

But there are some amazing people in the CS. We had a seconded TL the year before last, who I was briefly in a team with previously. She was absolutely amazing and when her secondment came to an end and she returned to her previous role, we stayed in touch first by WhatsApp and then by iMessage, and we have the best conversations. She’s brilliant and we always ask each other for advice, and we’re always having a good old moan. I don’t know what part of the CS you work in (don’t give it away!) but some parts are better than others, I promise!

• Wow
I've had a job offer and I'm shocking myself by considering turning it down as I don't think it's right for me after speaking to them. I really want out of my current job but want to try and find a better fitting role. I think it's for the best but still feeling very meh at the thought of being in the job I'm not enjoying for longer. 😬

• Heart
I've had a job offer and I'm shocking myself by considering turning it down as I don't think it's right for me after speaking to them. I really want out of my current job but want to try and find a better fitting role. I think it's for the best but still feeling very meh at the thought of being in the job I'm not enjoying for longer. 😬
It’s so easy to take anything in a bid to escape where you are right now, but ultimately if it isn’t a good fit you’re just moving the dread from one employer to another. But yeah, the feeling of being stuck where you are sucks right now. Hopefully it’s a means to an end very soon and you get to a great new job!

• Heart
It’s so easy to take anything in a bid to escape where you are right now, but ultimately if it isn’t a good fit you’re just moving the dread from one employer to another. But yeah, the feeling of being stuck where you are sucks right now. Hopefully it’s a means to an end very soon and you get to a great new job!
Thank you! Really hope so too ☺ but yeah the Sunday scaries are particularly intense this evening 🙃

• Heart