Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In a way I feel like I've won with the notice period situation too 😅 I've got 12-21st September off to go on holiday, I'm in hospital 22nd September, then my final day here is 30th September. Technically only 9 days left after today :D

I'm glad to see you've made a healthier change in your role too!
A win win then! Hope everything sails smoothly!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Been feeling down about my work for a while and had a crappy start to my week. I am honestly thinking about a total career change despite having worked to get where I am and spent thousands to get qualified.

My salary is OK but not for the job I do - £35,000 as a solicitor have 10 years experience buy qualified for about half of that time.

I have too much work and don't feel like I am doing a good job. I love aspects of my role but hate other parts of it amd have found clients have become increasingly demanding and unreasonable the last few years.

I am alone so can't afford to take a pay cut and don't feel like I want to stay in the profession anymore. I don't know what else I could do instead and feel totally lost.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have too much work and don't feel like I am doing a good job. I love aspects of my role but hate other parts of it amd have found clients have become increasingly demanding and unreasonable the last few years.
I'm afraid that is society. I work for a Higher Education Institution, and if a student is failed, many raise merry hell. It wouldn't matter but some of them have done no work whatsoever, and feel hard done by.

I’m on annual leave but so stressed about work. I made a reversible error last week which affected a coworker and I know from past experience he’ll now be telling everyone I ducked up and I already know he’s spoken to a senior manager about it. I’m so close to getting another position in the company but there’s possibility I could be investigated for what I did so now I’m worried it will stop me moving on from this toxic workplace. I want to go off sick with mental health and have felt like this for a while but that will definately stop me moving :cry:

I’ve gone back to work today and there’s no investigation but the coworker involved won’t talk to me which is awkward when we working on a project together. He is making sly digs about what I did to other people too so I hear it. I am biting my tongue cause they’re moving onto another project in a month but it is so draining. I only started there a couple of months ago and they didn’t make me feel welcome at all, Our manager is aware of it all doesn’t do anything to fix if ~sigh~

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve gone back to work today and there’s no investigation but the coworker involved won’t talk to me which is awkward when we working on a project together. He is making sly digs about what I did to other people too so I hear it. I am biting my tongue cause they’re moving onto another project in a month but it is so draining. I only started there a couple of months ago and they didn’t make me feel welcome at all, Our manager is aware of it all doesn’t do anything to fix if ~sigh~
If you feel up to it, you could take this to HR, maybe there’s an Ethic Line or similar you can call to talk to someone that isn’t your manager? The manager isn’t great either, this is the sort of thing they need to get behind and protect their directs.

Been feeling down about my work for a while and had a crappy start to my week. I am honestly thinking about a total career change despite having worked to get where I am and spent thousands to get qualified.

My salary is OK but not for the job I do - £35,000 as a solicitor have 10 years experience buy qualified for about half of that time.

I am alone so can't afford to take a pay cut and don't feel like I want to stay in the profession anymore. I don't know what else I could do instead and feel totally lost.
Sharing this link in case it helps/inspire you!
https://gfy-community.circle.so/c/careers/alternatives-to-law x

Today, flapping colleagues, technical issues and poor communications from managers.

Is it the weekend yet?!

Today, flapping colleagues, technical issues and poor communications from managers.
You don't work with me, do you? 😄 Today is an absolute effing shitshow and not one useful email from any of the numerous managers to tell us all what's going on or to give us guidance. Thank duck I've got a new job to go to - it feels a long way off, though.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My manager is back from annual leave and sent me a really really crappy email asking why I never completed a report on a specific date. Apparently I mentioned to a colleague in passing I was doing it on a particular day, and that colleague has gone back to my manager with it (duck knows why!) I remember that day the workload was so high I got sidetracked so never finished it until the week later.

My manager is acting like it's a huge horrendous crime. The report isn't hugely time sensitive and he has asked me to "explain myself tomorrow" (those exact words!) Feeling really anxious about it all because I honestly don't know what to say. I actually would love to say the workload is so, so bleeping high that I just don't have the bleeping time to get things done, mainly because I'm doing the work of at least two people! I've been working extra hours every day and get no thanks at all for it.

I have applied for two jobs similar to mine but with different companies, fingers crossed I get some luck! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My manager is back from annual leave and sent me a really really crappy email asking why I never completed a report on a specific date. Apparently I mentioned to a colleague in passing I was doing it on a particular day, and that colleague has gone back to my manager with it (duck knows why!) I remember that day the workload was so high I got sidetracked so never finished it until the week later.

My manager is acting like it's a huge horrendous crime. The report isn't hugely time sensitive and he has asked me to "explain myself tomorrow" (those exact words!) Feeling really anxious about it all because I honestly don't know what to say. I actually would love to say the workload is so, so bleeping high that I just don't have the bleeping time to get things done, mainly because I'm doing the work of at least two people! I've been working extra hours every day and get no thanks at all for it.

I have applied for two jobs similar to mine but with different companies, fingers crossed I get some luck! :)
what a twatish colleague! Say to you manager that it was a miscommunication, you mentioned working on it while the colleague understood you would be finishing it and then go over the massive workload. If they need it all this urgently they should hire more people.

Reactions: 4
what a twatish colleague! Say to you manager that it was a miscommunication, you mentioned working on it while the colleague understood you would be finishing it and then go over the massive workload. If they need it all this urgently they should hire more people.
Exactly! The turnover at the company is quite high in general and I can definitely see why. I think people just think "duck this" and go elsewhere.

I think the same about the colleague, it all feels a bit sneaky to be honest.

Reactions: 1
The first week has been going well, the team seems very friendly :m

There's already an invite for a fancy gathering in five weeks, where I'll meet the whole organisation. The invitation even says to bring a fancy dress for a party. I haven't traveled for work in three years, much less ever to anything fancy, only ever to small meeting things with people I anyway worked with. I'm mildly terrified, hahaha. Need to find out whether new company has any sort of dress code for such things and try not to panic about my hair or skin, which I sadly always do when something is on my calendar 🤦‍♀️😶

Still having trouble at my new place. Had a lot going home in my home life too so Wednesday I just came home and absolutely sobbed for an hour. I feel like my voice isn’t worth more than x amount of years of doing things a certain way or past people that were trusted even though I know what they’re doing is pretty wrong. I like to put the best in my work and feel proud of it but I don’t feel any pride in what I’m doing right now. And coming to a place as someone new and trying to challenge things and make improvements is really hard. It’s taking a lot out of me and as a result I feel a bit isolated and like I don’t fit in.

• Heart
  • Sad
Started a new job a few weeks ago as a part time personal assistant (0-10 hours a week) for a beautician I was a client of, for around 6 months. It’s very low-key cash in hand with no contract or anything formal. She’s always been really nice to me so I was excited to start. My main role seemed to be admin and creating Instagram posts as content. I have no previous experience but I’m a fast learner. I started work and she pencilled me in for a few days a week. During my first shift she told me that lunch will be on the house as well as my beauty treatments. I never asked or assumed but I was happy with the new perks. After this shift she started making excuses and cancelling my next one. She then cancelled the shift after that as well with the excuse that her parents didn’t want me there. After a few days she messaged me saying she’s moving location and needs to focus this with me. I was a bit surprised as I don’t drive and she has decided to move 40 minutes away. Surely you wouldn’t hire someone if you knew you were moving? She kept messaging saying she regrets hiring me and she should’ve waited. I felt awkward and didn’t know what to respond. I tried to be supportive and understanding.

She told me she could have me over for a short shift in the evening that week so I agreed. During the shift everything went fine and she said she’d keep me updated with the move. She told me that I could do some work from home every evening for a few hours and then let her know so she could pay me accordingly. I also asked if I needed to book infills in for my beauty treatments like regular clients and she said I could if I needed to. She also said she’d put me in for another shift next week. I did some work that evening after I’d left to be messaged the next day saying she’d told me not to do any work for the next few weeks as she doesn’t need me. She’d never said anything of the sort.

So I didn’t do anymore work afterwards. However, she never paid me for what I did do. Today I booked in a few infills over the next few months just so I had a spot and I turned off the deposit for one of the appointments on my account as, as far as I was aware it was now free. I messaged her to say I’d done so and to feel free to change anything around if needed. She responded saying I’d ruined the system by turning off deposits on my account as mine was linked to a few other clients. She also cancelled my next shift in the same message. Another one! I had no clue at all so I apologised and said that I wouldn’t touch the system again. I should’ve asked but I wanted to save the hassle as she barely responds to me. I know I was in the wrong but it was an honest mistake that requires minimal fixing. I was extremely apologetic. She then said that the treatments aren’t free as though I expected them? I never once expected them she just told me they were so that’s what I went along with. I’d been a paying client for a long time and never had an issue. She’s made me feel like a scrounger when in fact I’m nothing of the sort. I never assumed or expected anything I just went along with whatever I was told.

Since then she has restricted my access to the system, changed and tweaked all the work I have done (work that was completed to the best standard possible and that I’d asked for her opinion on multiple times) and ignored me completely. Is it right that I’m being punished like this for a small error? I know I should have signed a contract etc but this is just how she’s set this low-key job out and I’ve blindly followed. I’m not asking for business advice or job advice I’m just hoping my rant is justified. Yes I made a mistake that I owned up to straight away - but should I be treated like this when I’ve been nothing but understanding?!

• Wow
The beautician is using you, please leave this job. There are red flags all over this, from no contract, changing perks, changing location, disregard for whether you can actually work for her, etc. I’d write a short note explaining that I will no longer be able to work for her, give her a date by when expect to be paid and then bye bye. She will continue to use your free work.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The beautician is using you, please leave this job. There are red flags all over this, from no contract, changing perks, changing location, disregard for whether you can actually work for her, etc. I’d write a short note explaining that I will no longer be able to work for her, give her a date by when expect to be paid and then bye bye. She will continue to use your free work.
You’re completely right. At this point I want nothing more to do with her. No contract means no notice so see you later!

Reactions: 8

Update!

I have a phone initial interview for one of the roles I've applied for so fingers crossed!

I also found out the said colleague in the above post was asked to keep "an eye" on what I'm doing. I do find that sneaky to be honest and it's made me want to get out even more.

You’re completely right. At this point I want nothing more to do with her. No contract means no notice so see you later!
She's definitely messing you about, I agree about writing a formal letter/email stating the dates you worked and the amount she owes you. Hopefully she pays up then.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone else struggle to really focus and get things done?

Some days are good, I manage to do things and feel good about it - other days I physically, mentally, emotionally cannot be bothered or bring myself to do anything. Some days when I work from home, I do next to nothing (work-wise) all day. I don’t feel good about it at all, I just can’t seem to bring myself to do anything. I’m not a lazy person, but when I have to do things that bore me or are uninteresting, I struggle big time.

I also struggle to take in what’s being said which isn’t good, I just can’t focus or hold my attention in meetings or calls, and my mind wanders a lot. My inability to actually take things in or remember everything that's said actually worries me a little. I’ve been getting along ok so far, everyone is happy, but I just keep thinking to myself I’m not going to get away with it forever, it’s not sustainable. It’s not that I’m stupid, but I think I’m going against my natural grain with this particular role. I want to make a lateral move in the same company to a role that’s more suited to me but not sure if the time is right (only been here 8 months). I also have my own side gig which I love and happily work away on, though it’s not at the stage where I could do it as a full-time venture.

Reactions: 10
Omg the perfect thread for me 😂

It's not necessarily that I hate my job but I hate my managers and long ass hours. I want a new job but I want to finish my masters first (three years time if it goes to plan). Idk what I'm doing anymore. Do adults usually hate their jobs but stay because it's semi bearable?

My family isn't really helpful. They think sexual harassment is funny and OK.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.