Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a telephone interview for another job but unfortunately didn't get an offer for a full face to face interview. Good interview practice though so will learn from it.

My anxiety has grown so much about the current job. Every morning I wake up full of anxiety about the day ahead.
I've realised my manager is a micromanager, and the constant emails wanting updates on everything under the sun & the criticism makes me feel anxious.

The frustrating thing is I am doing the work of 2 - 3 people (even my manager admitted that) yet the company won't hire anyone new.

Oh my god just checked my work emails. I took Friday off as I had annual leave to take - I went abroad and obviously didn't take work stuff, nor should I bleeping have to lol. I have an email from someone in my department sent Friday morning wanting something done for Friday Eve, then another emailing moaning that I've not done it 🤣 they knew I was off that day.... You couldn't make it up!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
This morning I had a 1-2-1 with my manager and revealed I struggled with depression and was on anti-depressants again after my mood dropping considerably due to various factors. My manager seemed sympathetic and agreed to reduce the workload slightly. Thought a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

This afternoon my boss rang me shouting he doesn't believe I'm doing enough work. Really laying into me. 😔

I've got a GP appointment booked to talk to him about how I'm feeling but I'm sat in tears right now. I don't think I can cope much longer.

Have a horrible feeling my boss is trying to push me out.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I had a telephone interview for another job but unfortunately didn't get an offer for a full face to face interview. Good interview practice though so will learn from it.

My anxiety has grown so much about the current job. Every morning I wake up full of anxiety about the day ahead.
I've realised my manager is a micromanager, and the constant emails wanting updates on everything under the sun & the criticism makes me feel anxious.

The frustrating thing is I am doing the work of 2 - 3 people (even my manager admitted that) yet the company won't hire anyone new.

Oh my god just checked my work emails. I took Friday off as I had annual leave to take - I went abroad and obviously didn't take work stuff, nor should I bleeping have to lol. I have an email from someone in my department sent Friday morning wanting something done for Friday Eve, then another emailing moaning that I've not done it 🤣 they knew I was off that day.... You couldn't make it up!
I’m assuming you had an out of office on? Dickheads! (Not you, them)

Reactions: 2
Won’t bore you with the details but I’m having serious problems and don’t know what to do or who to turn to🙁

Started working for a friend (local lash artist who I was a regular customer for) around a month ago as a PA. No contract or anything just a low-key cash in hand job as she stated. I just went along with it as a side hustle. She highlighted my role as Instagram content creator. I had a shift and it was great, I picked it up quickly and created some beautiful work! She told me that perks of the job included free lunch on shift days and free eyelashes. It seemed too good to be true but I was chuffed with my new job!

However, red flags started to arise pretty quickly after the first shift when she started cancelling other shifts with silly excuses. I was doing content on and off from home whenever she needed it and she told me to do an hour an evening or so and she’d pay me for whatever I did. A week in she told me that she’s suddenly moving house and that she doesn’t need me for a few weeks. I was more than understanding but I started to feel extremely awkward when she was texting me saying she never should’ve hired me as the move complicates things. She was planning on moving far out and I don’t drive. I told her we’d work it out somehow.

One evening I was booking in a lash appointment or two and I noticed that one appointment required a hefty deposit. Based on the perks of the job as stated, I turned off deposits for my account. Looking back I should’ve asked first but I assumed it was all fine as per what we’d discussed. She went mad at me for it saying I shouldn’t touch the system. I was mortified and apologetic and wish I’d not done it. I told her it was a stupid error and I wouldn’t touch it again. It was an honest mistake that I took ownership for. She told me that she would no longer give me free eyelashes (I hadn’t had any at this point!). I never expected anything anyway (I’d been a paying customer for months) I just went along with whatever she highlighted as perks of the job.

This is when it become worse. She started treating me badly, being blunt with me and cancelling any remaining shifts. For some reason I didn’t see quite how bad it was. I did some work (3 posts) the night before (2-3 hours) and kept her up to date with it and she was happy with it. That week ended up being the week she moved and she told me she wouldn’t need me for a week. I left her to it.

It has been weeks now and since I hadn’t heard anything at all but she was posting constantly on social media, I messaged her and asked how the move was and if there was an update regarding work. She took a whole day to respond in which she was extremely blunt and told me she’s ‘put our agreement on hold due to financial issues and moving ’ and she hopes I understand. I felt fucked over to be honest after I’d been nothing but understanding and helpful. I didn’t respond to that message but did send one stating that there was 2-3 hours work that was unpaid and she could either pay and use them or if she didn’t need them I’d delete them. She never responded and it’s been two days. Instead, shortly after I sent the message she kicked me out of the content account so I can no longer access my work and/or delete the work I was unpaid for. She’s used me and stolen from me essentially.

I’ve been nothing but respectful and understanding and yes maybe I was blind-sighted but I was just doing the job to the best of my ability and being as professional as I could.

I don’t know what to do at this point. I’m owed money and she won’t pay. She’s taken and will most likely use my content. I have evidence from texts before that I did this work and the hours I did. Please be kind I cannot believe I’ve been put in this position. Any advice? Thanks in advance!😊

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Its my last week in work, my manager has just come out of the loo with a soaking wet 'positive' covid test and gone home. She went home Monday for her dogs birthday, Tuesday to go and see her Auntie. Do I have anything to lose if I go home now, and come in late morning for brunch with my colleagues then not come in at all on Friday?

I’m on annual leave but so stressed about work. I made a reversible error last week which affected a coworker and I know from past experience he’ll now be telling everyone I ducked up and I already know he’s spoken to a senior manager about it. I’m so close to getting another position in the company but there’s possibility I could be investigated for what I did so now I’m worried it will stop me moving on from this toxic workplace. I want to go off sick with mental health and have felt like this for a while but that will definately stop me moving :cry:
What happened in the end? @thenoodle
I’m in the same boat. I’ve realised this afternoon I’ve messed up big time. I’ve got not excuses for it, except carelessness and not paying attention. I’ll be receiving a massive bollocking. All I can do is apologise and correct it. 🤯😵💫

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What happened in the end? @thenoodle
I’m in the same boat. I’ve realised this afternoon I’ve messed up big time. I’ve got not excuses for it, except carelessness and not paying attention. I’ll be receiving a massive bollocking. All I can do is apologise and correct it. 🤯😵💫
Nothing really, just got the opportunity for more training on what I did wrong. On plus side the coworker finally moved on after not acknowledging my existence after my error so I feel a lot less stressed now

• Heart
Does anyone else struggle to really focus and get things done?

Some days are good, I manage to do things and feel good about it - other days I physically, mentally, emotionally cannot be bothered or bring myself to do anything. Some days when I work from home, I do next to nothing (work-wise) all day. I don’t feel good about it at all, I just can’t seem to bring myself to do anything. I’m not a lazy person, but when I have to do things that bore me or are uninteresting, I struggle big time.

I also struggle to take in what’s being said which isn’t good, I just can’t focus or hold my attention in meetings or calls, and my mind wanders a lot. My inability to actually take things in or remember everything that's said actually worries me a little. I’ve been getting along ok so far, everyone is happy, but I just keep thinking to myself I’m not going to get away with it forever, it’s not sustainable. It’s not that I’m stupid, but I think I’m going against my natural grain with this particular role. I want to make a lateral move in the same company to a role that’s more suited to me but not sure if the time is right (only been here 8 months). I also have my own side gig which I love and happily work away on, though it’s not at the stage where I could do it as a full-time venture.
line for line this is me …
Nice place of work
Lovely team
Great pay
Can I pay attention or complete the tasks when I wfh 😂 it fills me with anxiety and dread. I may even just sit staring at the computer, knowing I have so much to do.

How's everyone getting on?

This week has been horrible. I cannot wait until 6pm tonight just for a break for two days.

• Heart
line for line this is me …
Nice place of work
Lovely team
Great pay
Can I pay attention or complete the tasks when I wfh 😂 it fills me with anxiety and dread. I may even just sit staring at the computer, knowing I have so much to do.
I absolutely cannot focus wfh at all. I resent work being in my home a bit, but I also can't switch off from wanting to "get on with things". Home things. I can't walk past the washing up to get a coffee and not stop to do the washing up. And on and on.
And then, exactly as you say, once I do force myself to sit down in front of the screen I'm just looking at it.

Once we were phasing in returning to the office after the worst of covid, the rest of my team were begging to stay wfh and I said to my manager that I'd really rather be in the office cos I get f-all done at home.

I do get easily distracted at work too, but nothing like at home.

I absolutely cannot focus wfh at all. I resent work being in my home a bit, but I also can't switch off from wanting to "get on with things". Home things. I can't walk past the washing up to get a coffee and not stop to do the washing up. And on and on.
And then, exactly as you say, once I do force myself to sit down in front of the screen I'm just looking at it.

Once we were phasing in returning to the office after the worst of covid, the rest of my team were begging to stay wfh and I said to my manager that I'd really rather be in the office cos I get f-all done at home.

I do get easily distracted at work too, but nothing like at home.
I can be the same.

I get easily distracted by household tasks etc. I find it hard to switch into work mode.

My boss also turns into an extreme micromanager when I'm at home as I suppose he's not able to "see" what I do.

When I'm in the office though I get distracted as well, mainly due to the background noise, people talking about the most random crap ever etc. It's hard to concentrate. 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Won’t bore you with the details but I’m having serious problems and don’t know what to do or who to turn to🙁

Started working for a friend (local lash artist who I was a regular customer for) around a month ago as a PA. No contract or anything just a low-key cash in hand job as she stated. I just went along with it as a side hustle. She highlighted my role as Instagram content creator. I had a shift and it was great, I picked it up quickly and created some beautiful work! She told me that perks of the job included free lunch on shift days and free eyelashes. It seemed too good to be true but I was chuffed with my new job!

However, red flags started to arise pretty quickly after the first shift when she started cancelling other shifts with silly excuses. I was doing content on and off from home whenever she needed it and she told me to do an hour an evening or so and she’d pay me for whatever I did. A week in she told me that she’s suddenly moving house and that she doesn’t need me for a few weeks. I was more than understanding but I started to feel extremely awkward when she was texting me saying she never should’ve hired me as the move complicates things. She was planning on moving far out and I don’t drive. I told her we’d work it out somehow.

One evening I was booking in a lash appointment or two and I noticed that one appointment required a hefty deposit. Based on the perks of the job as stated, I turned off deposits for my account. Looking back I should’ve asked first but I assumed it was all fine as per what we’d discussed. She went mad at me for it saying I shouldn’t touch the system. I was mortified and apologetic and wish I’d not done it. I told her it was a stupid error and I wouldn’t touch it again. It was an honest mistake that I took ownership for. She told me that she would no longer give me free eyelashes (I hadn’t had any at this point!). I never expected anything anyway (I’d been a paying customer for months) I just went along with whatever she highlighted as perks of the job.

This is when it become worse. She started treating me badly, being blunt with me and cancelling any remaining shifts. For some reason I didn’t see quite how bad it was. I did some work (3 posts) the night before (2-3 hours) and kept her up to date with it and she was happy with it. That week ended up being the week she moved and she told me she wouldn’t need me for a week. I left her to it.

It has been weeks now and since I hadn’t heard anything at all but she was posting constantly on social media, I messaged her and asked how the move was and if there was an update regarding work. She took a whole day to respond in which she was extremely blunt and told me she’s ‘put our agreement on hold due to financial issues and moving ’ and she hopes I understand. I felt fucked over to be honest after I’d been nothing but understanding and helpful. I didn’t respond to that message but did send one stating that there was 2-3 hours work that was unpaid and she could either pay and use them or if she didn’t need them I’d delete them. She never responded and it’s been two days. Instead, shortly after I sent the message she kicked me out of the content account so I can no longer access my work and/or delete the work I was unpaid for. She’s used me and stolen from me essentially.

I’ve been nothing but respectful and understanding and yes maybe I was blind-sighted but I was just doing the job to the best of my ability and being as professional as I could.

I don’t know what to do at this point. I’m owed money and she won’t pay. She’s taken and will most likely use my content. I have evidence from texts before that I did this work and the hours I did. Please be kind I cannot believe I’ve been put in this position. Any advice? Thanks in advance!😊
Did you make the social media templates in Canva? If so, I'd login and delete your work.

I used to work as a freelancer and I made a website for a company and they never paid me. I was owed € 3000 and they never paid, then they deleted me off all accounts... but they didn't think to block me from the back end :devilish: so I logged in and deleted EVERYTHING. Including backups. It completely screwed them and they had to start from scratch. It would've ended up costing them way more than what they owed me.

Personally, I'm a petty ass witch, so I'd make fake accounts and leave bad reviews on her business 😇

Seriously though, if she doesn't pay up, take this as a learning experience. NEVER send work until you're paid for it.

Reactions: 10
Re being unable to focus well at home - I’m the exact same! I just sit at my desk staring into space and when I am working it takes a really long time. I’ve always had to do a timesheet so I end up working late to make up the time. So i feel like I’m always working!

I started at my current firm in March and said when I joined that I didn’t like working from home and would prefer to be in the office and was told yes definitely we’ll all be in all the time! Aaaand.. it’s not happened. It’s very much “go in if/when you want” attitude - and my team don’t want to go in 🤷🏻‍♀️ I did go in regularly but just gave up because when I went in there wasn’t anyone to talk to and I just found it pretty depressing.

It’s a very toxic place to work as well. Too much to type but I’ve been there six months and in that time there were 3 off sick with stress, 2 have left without working their notice and 2 more are about to leave and are very grumpy.

In terms of working from home - I don’t want to go back to the office full time. I don’t miss rushing around half asleep, missing breakfast, overeating sugary crap food - downing coffee all day, sitting in traffic etc etc

it’s actually exhausting sat thinking about the work I should be doing, whilst not doing it …. Sat at a desk, with the laptop open - not living life or doing anything productive. Then I panic about being let go or even worse waking up in 20 years time having spent the majority of my time staring into space. I often wonder if all my colleagues are doing a similar thing.

Apparently the average worker only completes 3 hours of work in an eight hour day….

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Today was a bad day. I sent an email to a colleague saying “I was not happy” (essentially I was asked to sign off on a document urgently that had been sitting on their desk for 6 weeks). Was accused of not being collaborative by my boss because I said I was not happy. Don’t know how to feel now! Maybe I shouldn’t have feelings at work or shouldn’t be expressing them. 🤷‍♀️ Sorry this is a bit of a moan.

I stayed at my last company for 10 years, worked with lovely people, had various roles and worked my way up but I really hated my last role
I was made redundant at the end of June and it was honestly such a relief as I was unhappy but scared to leave into the unknown

I start a new job on Monday after a 3 month break
I feel like I should be excited but I'm not looking forward to it atm, I'm hoping it's just nerves!

I wasn’t given a contract where I am atm. So, I’m thinking, hypothetically, if I got another job, I don’t really need to work my notice.
But cos I’m a decent person, I wouldn’t screw them over.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.