Documentaries you've seen you still think about to this day

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone ever watch ‘My Last Summer’ on channel 4, it was a fly on the wall where they got a group of terminally ill people together in a house.

It was such a heart wrenching portrayal of the fragility of life, so beautiful but also sad. I remember watching it with my dad and we were crying so much by the end, and when the ‘if you’ve been affected call this helpline’ came up in the credits my dad turned to me and said ‘I think I need to speak to someone!’ 😂 (My dad is terminally ill himself now so I cherish these memories ❤)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Does anyone remember the baby found in a concrete block in a garage? There was a documentary focused around finding who the baby was / who the parents were but with no result. Prob early 2000’s it aired.

edit - looks like they found out who the baby was

Oh my god how awful, I’ve never heard of this one. So sad that they’ll probably never know what happened

Reactions: 1
I always think of one wife swap episode where the mum was a total looney in my eyes- she let her daughter drink WKD from the age of about 11 and put her into cheerleading classes. She was later on a bbc3 (I think) documentary where she was trying to put the same daughter through beauty pageants etc..
What I really think/want to know is how the daughter turned out!! And how her relationship is now with her mother
Omg this sounds familiar to me was the girls name Sasha Bennington?

Yes!!! That’s her!
Omg! I always wondered what became of her! I actually always felt really sorry for her, her mum was so vain and pushy, she was totally pushing her to live out her own dreams 🙄 she always had her decked out in fake tan, bleach blond hair, fake eyelashes the whole works

I just looked her up on Instagram! (Sasha Bennington). She has a little baby and is engaged. She looks like a normal girl now, not plastered in fake tan and makeup just normal and pretty. I wonder what her relationship is like with her mum now

Reactions: 3
Looking For Mike - I only watched this last night but I really enjoyed it. It's about a guy whose work pal passed away, and after his death, it was discovered he'd been using a fake name, so none of his pals really knew who he was. This is about looking for his real identity [though how they finally figure it out is a bit of a slap the forehead].

• Wow
Reactions: 4
The random ones seem to stick with me.
There was one about reborn dolls and a woman got one made of her grandson and couldn’t understand why her daughter wasn’t overjoyed about it.
There was a couple who went to Harrods and spent an absolute fortune on clothes and the woman behind the till asked if she could look in the pram her face was a picture.

Ladyboys was another I think I was a bit young to be watching it at the time but I remember one of them was obsessed with Hello Kitty so the fella bought a load of stuff for her and they fell out over something and she wouldn’t speak to him until he gave her more money 🤣.

Not a documentary as such but Holiday Showdown sticks with me when there was a posh family who went to Dubai and the other family went to Blackpool and the Dubai family hated them but the family who went to Blackpool really liked Dubai so at the end in the video they said oh we’re going to go to Dubai too.

Reactions: 6
There was one about reborn dolls and a woman got one made of her grandson and couldn’t understand why her daughter wasn’t overjoyed about it.
There was a couple who went to Harrods and spent an absolute fortune on clothes and the woman behind the till asked if she could look in the pram her face was a picture.
I remember that! The grandson and daughter had moved to Australia IIRC, and the grandmother was so heartbroken (I think there was a backstory where the daughter’s marriage had ended and so she helped out with raising the baby) she had a replica of her grandson as a newborn, right down to the birthweight. It was really creepy, but ultimately I think she was lonely and had been sucked into a reborn doll forum online which totally normalised the craziness.

The woman who bought designer clothes and bottles for the fake baby clearly was mentally unwell. No idea why the husband enabled it.

Reactions: 6
I remember that! The grandson and daughter had moved to Australia IIRC, and the grandmother was so heartbroken (I think there was a backstory where the daughter’s marriage had ended and so she helped out with raising the baby) she had a replica of her grandson as a newborn, right down to the birthweight. It was really creepy, but ultimately I think she was lonely and had been sucked into a reborn doll forum online which totally normalised the craziness.
One of the absolute best moments about that was when she was showing the doll to her grandson on Skype and saying look! it's you!, the boy replied with: no it's not you numb nut 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
One of the absolute best moments about that was when she was showing the doll to her grandson on Skype and saying look! it's you!, the boy replied with: no it's not you numb nut 😅
Didn’t he husband refuse to touch it because it said it reminded him of something of a mortuary slab? And she had a meltdown 😂.

Oh I’ve just remembered some more classics there was one on channel 4 years ago about One Direction fans and it made them all look psychotic, towards the end it showed a girl queuing for what looked like a meet & greet crying, shaking and hyperventilating about the fact she was about to meet 1D and it turned out she was at Madame Tussaud’s meeting the waxworks.

Then there was another I think it was about tattoo addicts there was a fella I think him and his wife had just got divorced and he became obsessed with Miley Cyrus and had tattoos of her face and song lyrics. I’m sure he tried to fundraise to get them lasered off after Alan Carr showed Miley a clip on chatty man and she said it was creepy and weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7

The woman who bought designer clothes and bottles for the fake baby clearly was mentally unwell. No idea why the husband enabled it.
I’m sure the grandmother was looking after the boy a lot because the daughter was having treatment for cancer, then when she went into remission they decided to have a fresh start and emigrate, so the gran was properly in the huff that she wouldn’t have ‘her boy’ any more. That’s why I can still remember the programme after all this time, my jaw was on the floor.

Reactions: 3
I’m sure the grandmother was looking after the boy a lot because the daughter was having treatment for cancer, then when she went into remission they decided to have a fresh start and emigrate, so the gran was properly in the huff that she wouldn’t have ‘her boy’ any more. That’s why I can still remember the programme after all this time, my jaw was on the floor.
I’m sure she asked her daughter if she could just go on her own and leave him behind for her to keep him.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Looking For Mike - I only watched this last night but I really enjoyed it. It's about a guy whose work pal passed away, and after his death, it was discovered he'd been using a fake name, so none of his pals really knew who he was. This is about looking for his real identity [though how they finally figure it out is a bit of a slap the forehead].
Just watched it - very good, sad at the end.

Ladyboys was another I think I was a bit young to be watching it at the time but I remember one of them was obsessed with Hello Kitty so the fella bought a load of stuff for her and they fell out over something and she wouldn’t speak to him until he gave her more money 🤣.

Not a documentary as such but Holiday Showdown sticks with me when there was a posh family who went to Dubai and the other family went to Blackpool and the Dubai family hated them but the family who went to Blackpool really liked Dubai so at the end in the video they said oh we’re going to go to Dubai too.
I watched the series on ladyboys think it was sky one, very interesting show, a good insight and soooo many questions!! Not so much about the ladyboys bit the British men that date them.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it previously so I’m sorry if they have.

one documentary I watched was ‘The Cove’, about the dolphin drives in Taiji, Japan. That really stuck with me.

another one was ‘Thin’ about an eating disorder retreat in America. It’s always stuck with me as I was just in the beginning of my ED. One of the women committed suicide later on and I was really effected by it.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
'A lion in the house' really haunts me. It's about childhood cancer, pretty old now but very raw. Very recently watched a docuseries by some investigative journalists called 'knutby: in blind faith' (which is swedish with subtitles) about an insane cult in Sweden that had this woman at the head of it who thought she was going to marry jesus. Was excellent

Reactions: 2
'A lion in the house' really haunts me. It's about childhood cancer, pretty old now but very raw. Very recently watched a docuseries by some investigative journalists called 'knutby: in blind faith' (which is swedish with subtitles) about an insane cult in Sweden that had this woman at the head of it who thought she was going to marry jesus. Was excellent
RedHanded recently did a podcast about Knutby that was quite enjoyable too. They posit that it's not a cult, but more so just abusive people within pentecostal christianity [though I find a lot of those factions totally cultish] but aye, worth a listen!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.