Do you think about death?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find it so hard to comprehend how life moves on, things as they are now will be gone one day. It's easy to forget when you get caught up in daily life, just as generations before us did.
My main fear is dying while my child is young or my child dying.
I fear dying in pain and, perhaps a morbid thought, what will happen to my body. I know a lot of people say they don't care because they'll be dead but I really do care. It terrifies me.
I would love to believe there is something after death. It's something I want to read into. Just generally, I want to gain an understanding of different relgious and spiritual beliefs. I want to find something comforting.

Reactions: 5
I worry most about close family members dying, if it was one of my kids I dont think I could continue without them but then how can you leave the other without a mum?

I also worry if something happened to me how my family would cope, my husband would meet someone else quick I think as he wouldnt want to be alone (and I am fine with that) my parents would be devastated and I just worry how my kids especially my youngest would cope, the thought of not been around for them cripples me.

Certain songs trigger these feelings in me mostly. Other than that I try not to dwell on it.

Reactions: 1
I have this idea that I'll either be reunited with dead family members, or there's going to be nothing, and my energy/soul will be one with the universe.

The older I become, the more I think about death, and it's disappointing me.

Reactions: 4
I don’t believe in religion or afterlife. I know when the lights go off for me that’s it.

I do think about death often. How will it come for me and when? Will it be quick or a lingering illness.

A relative died suddenly a few years back and since then I’ve thought about death more, mainly that I could literally drop dead at any time like my relative, and that would be it. Before that happened I assumed like most people really that I’d die when I was old, but now I’m acutely aware that anything could happen at any time. Although I know death is inevitable, I am a little scared of dying young when I’ve still got so much life to live and have children who need me. I’m not ready to go yet.

Reactions: 3
I just find it hard to comprehend that when you kick the bucket there's absolutely nothing else after death.

Reactions: 4
I worry about death but worrying doesn’t cause me to make healthier choices to improve my health, it kind of has the opposite affect and I stress eat instead.

Because of decisions made when I was a child all my grandparents died while I lived overseas and in some cases I didn’t know they’d died until after the funeral so I haven’t experienced death of anyone close to me. My parents are both alive and in their 80’s but chose to move overseas three years ago and most likely the same will happen with them.

My son’s BFF died on his 10th birthday (the BFF’s birthday) and it affected my son so much it took years for him to get close to other kids because he was scared they might die too. I worry about dying and leaving him as he’s an only child and I worry he‘ll be stuck looking after his dad because there’s no one else to do that.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I had a stroke/blood clot in my brain last year, age 57. Quit smoking a couple of years before, not ever ill, no problems with blood pressure or anything else. I got excellent emergency surgery and medical care at a supreme medical facility, and didn’t experience many after-effects, thank God.
I’m a Christian, and I’m not afraid of death and look forward to meeting Jesus, reuniting with loved ones and pets, and all of the great things Heaven has in store. :)
What was weird for me, though, is that I was unconscious for two days, some of which was an induced coma. I remember absolutely nothing about that time period, and that’s what is strange. I went blank. I might as well have been dead, and after that I fully realized that I have no control.
I wasn’t “ready,” was still going through papers and belongings, really doing the “Swedish Death Cleaning,” but hadn’t yet set up legal paperwork, like medical power of attorney or a will. I was trying to make our future calm and decluttered, but was only about half-finished. A few years ago, we prepaid our funerals/cremations because it’s easier for the kids.
I was trying to control my outcomes, and found that I had no control at all over the Main Event.

Every day. It worries me so much. I cannot wrap my head around that once you’re gone you’re gone. That’s just it - but the rest of the world carries on. It blows my mind! I’m also petrified of relatives dying. It’s just a horrible thought all round

Although I fully believe there’s some kind of afterlife (I’m not particularly religious but I do think there is some kind of God, my family are Christian/Catholic) it’s nice to imagine you go on to somewhere else once you’ve passed

I'm afraid of losing my parents, and I'm afraid of dying full of regrets. I've felt suicidal many times but at the bottom of it, I've never really wanted to die; I just wanted to stop being, or stop being me. Around the time I had a lot of anxiety (there were multiple terrorist attacks, it was a constant fear) it pushed me to declutter, a Swedish Death Cleaning if you will, because I didn't want my parents to deal with a mess when they were grieving, in case something awful happened. I guess the thought of death is the reason why I'm more minimalistic.

Death itself is interesting to me but it also makes me uncomfortable. I'm trying to 'learn' about it more when my nerves are in the right place, so I'll be more comfortable around the subject but I don't think anything can really prepare you for the finality of death. I'm not religious, so I don't know what comes after. Strange thing to think about, I often wonder how soldiers or doctors must feel about it, having been around it often.

One of my favourite quotes is about death, it actually calms me when I'm anxious about it.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have quite macabre interests any way (nothing illegal!), so death fascinates me. As a child it frightened me, but I now see it as part of an imevitable process. Grief however is the absolute worst feeling in the world.

I’m feeling very anxious tonight and just keep fearing my parents death. They’re both very much alive but I just keep getting anxious thoughts about when they’re not hear and how il cope without them. I do fear death, I fear the unknown, I’ve lost so many people close to me including my sister and it’s just the thought of never seeing them again or hearing their voice, wondering if they knew how much loved they were and thinking about all the silly irrelevant arguments you had over the years.

• Heart
Last night I had some sort of episode. I woke up with a deep feeling of unease that I wouldn’t see morning. I laid on my back and it was like something passed through me and I sat up with a start. I asked my husband to phone an ambulance and got out of bed. I have never felt so ill in my life. I felt so bad that I told my husband that I thought I was going to die and told him I loved him. It was terrifying.
Unfortunately our local hospital was at capacity for walk ins and we were in a queue for an ambulance. My husband drove me to another hospital further away. I was still suffering with chest pain and palpitations. All I could think is that I was going to die on a country road in the middle of the night and my husband would have no support.
So yes, unless it’s swift and sudden, the thought of death does scare me, and I used to be a nurse !

• Sad
I lost my mum 2 days ago and everything is terrifying me at the moment. I’ve had to ask my brother and sister in law to help sort the funeral because I can’t cope with everything. I’m coping with day to day life because I have too but at the moment I just feel lost and so overwhelmed. I’m living life in slow motion and so scared that when reality kicks in then it’s gonna hit like a boomerang. I just miss my mum and feel like I’ve lost my best bed friend 💔
So sorry for your loss. Life can be so cruel at times. It's unfair to see everyone going about their normal lives when yours has changed so massively isn't it? Xx

• Heart
Such an interesting thread. If you think about death/ fear it to an extreme it can actually be a diagnosed illness. It is a real form of anxiety so if you're struggling go see your gp. I've seen patients get over it 🥰

Exposure therapy is the key. Watching funerals on YouTube etc.

I don't fear death. I fear something to happening to my partner and my siblings a lot though. Sister flying out to us tomorrow and I'll feel sick entire time she's in the air !

Such an interesting thread. If you think about death/ fear it to an extreme it can actually be a diagnosed illness. It is a real form of anxiety so if you're struggling go see your gp. I've seen patients get over it 🥰

Exposure therapy is the key. Watching funerals on YouTube etc.

I don't fear death. I fear something to happening to my partner and my siblings a lot though. Sister flying out to us tomorrow and I'll feel sick entire time she's in the air !
I sometimes watch honour walks on YouTube, they’re absolutely heartbreaking though.

I don’t fear death, the only thing I fear is if it’s very sudden and unexpected. Would I know what was happening or would I just be gone?

The thing that really scares me the most is leaving my son, he has severe autism & is completely not verbal. He’s going to need support his entire life and it terrifies me thinking of where he could end up or who’s going to look after him when I can’t anymore 😥

I fear being buried or cremated alive. That we might somehow still have awareness.

I know how mad that makes me sound.

Reactions: 3
I used to think about it all the time. I’m the youngest in my family and most everyone died by the time I was born. It felt like a party was coming to a close. I don’t think about death nearly as much these days now that I’ve got some distance between that environment and myself. I have a lot of interests too and so there’s no time to worry or think about death. I’m not looking forward to it but it’s part of the life cycle.

Last night I had some sort of episode. I woke up with a deep feeling of unease that I wouldn’t see morning. I laid on my back and it was like something passed through me and I sat up with a start. I asked my husband to phone an ambulance and got out of bed. I have never felt so ill in my life. I felt so bad that I told my husband that I thought I was going to die and told him I loved him. It was terrifying.
Unfortunately our local hospital was at capacity for walk ins and we were in a queue for an ambulance. My husband drove me to another hospital further away. I was still suffering with chest pain and palpitations. All I could think is that I was going to die on a country road in the middle of the night and my husband would have no support.
So yes, unless it’s swift and sudden, the thought of death does scare me, and I used to be a nurse !
I have had Atrial Fibrillation and a low heat rate for years now and often have these feelings. Not pain but feelings that something isn’t right and that I am about to pass away. You could have something similar and if it is then it is down to your heart rate fluctuating. My doctor told me if you are going to have a heart condition this is the best one to have. Get yourself checked out and I wish you all the best x