Do you think about death?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If so, are you worried about dying?

In my case, I have dealt with a fair amount of death in my life. When I was 13 my mother died. Then a year or so later my uncle died. Then about 10 years ago one of my grandmothers died, and then about two and half years ago my nan other died.

It is rough to deal with death at any time, but it isn't easy. I often think about death and dying, and how it will be. I read stories of all these people dying in the news and It saddens me, especially the young people dying.

Anyway, do you ever think about death and what it will be like? None of us are going to avoid death as it's coming for us all, but I find it comfortable to think about it. How about you guys?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yep, Every time I hear a seagull I do.
That’s not actually a joke, it genuinely makes my blood run cold for a few seconds when I do.

I don’t fear my own death at all, I fear the death of a handful of people though.

Reactions: 6
Yes, all the time! I'm really anxious about my own health and get into panics over thinking something is seriously wrong with me! I often think if I could just have a regular full body scan, like a human MOT, to know I'm not dying that would be fab! The thought of dying terrifies me, I guess it's the unknown.

I also really worry about losing my own parents. I've lost grandparents, aunts, uncles etc so I know what grief is like but the thought of losing a parent terrifies me. My Mum has some really unhealthy habits, she's got a really bad relationship with food so I'm always worrying that she's doing herself some irreversible damage that could ultimately be the death of her. It's awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Yes. Over the years it’s been hard not to think about death when I was surrounded by it due to my line of work. I’ve been to more funerals than I can count, and at more deathbeds than I’d like, and I’m only 32.

I can’t really say that I fear the actual dying; we’re all dying, just some sooner than others. I do fear a painful death and losing any of my loved ones though - grief is so hard. I also don’t like the idea of leaving my children, especially while they’re young.

I like talking about it, I think it can be good to talk about it, but my husband doesn’t as it makes him uncomfortable and is too morbid for him.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I also really worry about losing my own parents. I've lost grandparents, aunts, uncles etc so I know what grief is like but the thought of losing a parent terrifies me.
Sorry to hear this. You're not alone. I am the exact same re my parents death - I regularly find myself crying just thinking about it. I truly cannot imagine the world without them, and since moving a couple of hours away, it's got worse. I'm hoping to move closer to them in the next couple of years but not sure my boyfriend is on board with that idea.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Yeah, I lay in bed at night thinking about it, probably every night!

But I would rather die than have anyone else I love die around me first, that's probably really selfish of me but the thought of it makes me physically sick. My uncle passed away in July 2021.. It was an awful time for everyone. I am a massive believer in the spirit world though, I know he's still around me and my mum.

I think as I've got older it makes me anxious more.. especially in recent times seeing how many people are dying and how young they are too!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I fear death very much. I’m scared of those around me dying especially my children and husband. I worry about that every day and night… but I also fear my own death in terms and the actual act of it. How does it feel? Where do we go? Is there an afterlife? The thought of the blackness terrifies me. And then I also have fears about actually being a dead body and what happens… decomposition, being cremated… it just freaks me out so much.

My husband hates talking and thinking about it and is able to just block out the thoughts. I seem to be quite a deep thinker in comparison.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m not really scared of actual dying but I am more scared of pain. I’d hate to have a long drawn out painful death with lots of suffering.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m not scared of dying - I’ve had time in ICU etc for various medical issues. I’m more afraid of not being anymore, as I’m not being conscious or to never wake up again. I know common sense wise I will not know anything about it, but the idea of never waking up is so overwhelming. And that a person with all their hopes and dreams is just gone. Shame I’m not religious.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yes I am scared and think of dying quite a lot I’m also really scared of my husband and parents dying even more so than myself.

• Heart
I fear death very much. I’m scared of those around me dying especially my children and husband. I worry about that every day and night… but I also fear my own death in terms and the actual act of it. How does it feel? Where do we go? Is there an afterlife? The thought of the blackness terrifies me. And then I also have fears about actually being a dead body and what happens… decomposition, being cremated… it just freaks me out so much.

My husband hates talking and thinking about it and is able to just block out the thoughts. I seem to be quite a deep thinker in comparison.
I do think it's important to talk about it. I have found that we aren't too good at talking about death in this country. We avoid it and dance around the issue, but we are ultimately all going to face it. I guess because I'm 33 now and just thinking about getting older and my health. I hear about people my age or younger dying, and that it could happen to me so I'm always thinking about death. I think I'm coming to terms with death though, slowly. I find that other countries seem to deal with death differently and they embrace it as a normal and natural thing.

Reactions: 3
No. The only potential ‘death’ that gives me anxiety is my sons, so I don’t think about it.
Death, for me, is entirely normal - my family has run a funeral directors since the 1800’s, my mum and dad had it and since they’ve retired my cousin runs it, I grew up in funeral directors house and the rest room was attached to our house and if wanted our mum we’d go in there. I grew up around death every day.

All the time. I am getting better at pushing the thoughts away (not sure if that's the best way to deal with it!), but at one stage it was very crippling for me, especially thinking about it in relation to parents etc

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My partner died of Covid in 2020. She was 32 and in good health. Not once did she ever talk about the fear of dying apart from than the fear of cancer.
Until that time I never thought about dying because I thought I would have a long life first. Now I am not so sure. I just have to carry on living a healthy life style and hope for a long life without troubles like cancer or some memory problems

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
My partner died of Covid in 2020. She was 32 and in good health. Not once did she ever talk about the fear of dying apart from than the fear of cancer.
Until that time I never thought about dying because I thought I would have a long life first. Now I am not so sure. I just have to carry on living a healthy life style and hope for a long life without troubles like cancer or some memory problems
I am so sorry for your loss. Life can be so very unfair ❤

Reactions: 3
constantly (to quote hamilton, i imagine death so much it feels more like a memory).

i don’t fear my own death in any way whatsoever, but i worry frequently about the people i love dying. i think the two years we’ve had has made everyone reflect on it: we can’t change how or when it happens but i make sure that my family and friends know how much i love them, i finish every phone call with an i love you or every meet-up with an i really enjoyed seeing you today message. we have to let people know we appreciate them while we can!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Terrified of my parents dying, not sure how I’ll cope.
Same here. I am a single Mum with an 8 year old. My parents are like my rocks. I literally don’t know how I would get by without them and it’s something I can’t think about because I find it too traumatic. It would be hard with my son too because he’s so close to his Grandma and Grandad, he would be beyond devastated 💔

• Heart