Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You’ve got to eat! There’s always tomorrow to start again! I’m guilty of ordering a takeaway when I can’t be bothered to cook either.
I'd set a limit of 1 a month 😆 I should of said 5 a week then I would be proud of myself right now 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I cannot give up takeaways 😓 I need one a week. It’s the ritual, the absolute joy of knowing I don’t have to cook or clean up again 🙌🏼 But just one a week instead of sometimes 2/3 😬😬

Reactions: 10
I cannot give up takeaways 😓 I need one a week. It’s the ritual, the absolute joy of knowing I don’t have to cook or clean up again 🙌🏼 But just one a week instead of sometimes 2/3 😬😬
I live in the US and we have the brand Amy’s. Their frozen food line is healthy & organic and gets me through many a lazy meal. Are they stocked in the UK? Or can anyone recommend a similar quality brand?

This week I was on the food saving app. I’m a single person household - I spent far less on myself and ended up giving a fair bit away. The bags were health foods at a fraction of my usual spend.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Amy’s tastes amazing! Big oversight 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I live in the US and we have the brand Amy’s. Their frozen food line is healthy & organic and gets me through many a lazy meal. Are they stocked in the UK? Or can anyone recommend a similar quality brand?
They aren't the cheapest (though much cheaper than a takeaway) but I really like Fiid for super quick, healthy and tasty meals

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
They aren't the cheapest (though much cheaper than a takeaway) but I really like Fiid for super quick, healthy and tasty meals

I go the burrito, enchilada, and pizza route. If those work for you though that’s awesome

Reactions: 1
I've done no/low spends for years, starting ages ago when l set a goal to only use my Christmas/birthday vouchers to buy the clothes etc i needed for the whole year. It made me more mindful of what I was buying and using so I've continued it. I"ve sold lots of my stuff on ebay and living more minimally somehow makes me more relaxed. Also agree with meal planning, check cupboards/fridge/freezer, write a list and stick to it. There are 1000s of meal ideas online. I put a list of dinners on the fridge to remind us what we have in. We still have treats and a takeaway now and again. Setting your own boundaries that are realistic and achievable means you're more able to stick to it. Like any change it takes time!

Reactions: 8
So yesterday I did a weeks food shop for £65. Really proud of that as normally it’s around double that. I left OH at home as he’s terrible for loading the trolley with things we don’t need and I swapped all the branded stuff to cheaper alternatives and did a meal plan before I left.

I did however counteract that by buying a game for the switch - but it was half price and it’s one that the kids have wanted for a while.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Does anyone else feel the same as me? I spend my entire life obsessing about finding certain things I want to get- a houseplant, or a new jumper etc- and then I get them and jump straight on to the next.

and if I’m not shopping I feel quite empty.

that sounds really pathetic!

I’d really like to save up for a holiday and spend my time better, stop shopping and scrolling looking for stuff!
Exactly this. I would class myself as someone who enjoys browsing and taking my time in supermarkets and shops to look at every aisle, and online I could spend hours on ebay or etsy or Amazon just looking at stuff, the more you look, the more you see. I was getting quite overwhelmed this weekend at how many clothes I have. I’m not a fashionista by any stretch but I seem to have obsessively collected hoodies and jumpers and jeans this Autumn/Winter to meet some kind of need to provide for myself, I now have way more than I need but I still make a beeline for these things in the shops. I was doing my laundry and it clicked how much i’ve collected and i don’t have space for them all. So today’s job is to go through and halve them and donate.

If higher energy and food prices are likely to stay for some time I need to break the habit of buying things compulsively. Priorities need to change. The thing is I never drop more than say a tenner or 15 quid on items of clothing, but they add up if you keep buying them. I honestly don’t need to buy any item of clothing for the rest of the year. From now on I’m going to just completely cut out visiting the clothing and home sections of shops.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve done no buy January for a couple of years and it’s always been really hard but good at the same time. I’m a terrible comfort shopper - if I’m sad I buy stuff.
And January/Feb are my worst months for being sad.
One thing that has really helped me to want less stuff is volunteering in a charity shop. The bags and bags and boxes of STUFF just pour in all day. Its overwhelming.
A lot of stuff we can’t sell either so we have to sort through it and then send the rest to recycling.
It's also a big problem when our discarded fast fashion gets 'donated' and then shipped off to poorer countries. It ends up decomposing in giant open air markets (and exposing people to health concerns) and also puts local seamstresses and clothing companies out of business, because there is so much more supply than demand.

I'm not perfect, I do buy clothes from places like Matalan, but I'll wear them until they break down rather than just buying new clothes for the sake of it. When I get a handle on my spending I'd love to invest in some higher quality pieces and slowly build up a nice wardrobe that way.

Reactions: 9
I’m going to be following along with this thread because I love a no buy/low buy. It’s all too easy for me to go shopping on a Saturday thinking all my new purchases will make me happy and then I’m left no happier but with stuff I didn’t really need and having to cut back in other areas for the rest of the month. I’m a lot better at avoiding that after focusing on saving and using up what I need but doing a no buy or low buy month helps me re-focus, especially after Christmas.

Keeping a ‘things I want’ list really helps me. Every time I come across something I want to buy, I add it to my list and then review after 24 hours/a week/a month. Sometimes I keep coming back to the item and decide it’s worth buying but most of the time something stays on the list for months until I eventually delete it.

Also, I highly recommend The LA Minimalist on IG. She’s focused on minimalism rather than specifically no buys but her content is really useful. She talks a lot about prioritising what you want, managing money and moving away from buying things. Plus she only posts on her stories twice a week so she’s not an irritating follow either - https://instagram.com/thelaminimalist

Reactions: 10
I’m going to be following along with this thread because I love a no buy/low buy. It’s all too easy for me to go shopping on a Saturday thinking all my new purchases will make me happy and then I’m left no happier but with stuff I didn’t really need and having to cut back in other areas for the rest of the month. I’m a lot better at avoiding that after focusing on saving and using up what I need but doing a no buy or low buy month helps me re-focus, especially after Christmas.

Keeping a ‘things I want’ list really helps me. Every time I come across something I want to buy, I add it to my list and then review after 24 hours/a week/a month. Sometimes I keep coming back to the item and decide it’s worth buying but most of the time something stays on the list for months until I eventually delete it.

Also, I highly recommend The LA Minimalist on IG. She’s focused on minimalism rather than specifically no buys but her content is really useful. She talks a lot about prioritising what you want, managing money and moving away from buying things. Plus she only posts on her stories twice a week so she’s not an irritating follow either - https://instagram.com/thelaminimalist
The list idea is such a good one. I have a terrible Amazon habit so what I do is put all my impulsive wants into my basket and look at them at the end of the month. I honestly can discard 99% of them and yet at the time when I see them I feel I can’t live without them!

Reactions: 9
Success for me this week. We always have a takeaway on a Saturday but had a rubbish day during the week and had takeaway that night, usually I'd still go for the weekend takeaway but decided not to. We still had vaguely unhealthy treat food but it came from food I already had in. £30 saved right away!

I have bought a couple of bras though. I always have issues getting ones to fit as I'm quite large. I'd seen a company recommended that looked ideal but the bras were around £40 each which I really begrudge paying (the other bras I usually buy are often reduced to £20 on Amazon a few times a year) but in the sale I've managed to get 2 different ones for £60. Not a massive saving but enough to make me go for it rather than closing down the page again.

Reactions: 7
I live 60 seconds from a co-op so it's my kryptonite when it comes to wasting money. I needed to get some washing tablets, razors and pepsi max (I've cut down a lot and am reducing it further slowly - cold Turkey is too painful).

So I went in, headed straight to the aisle, grabbed them, (paid), and got out as quick as possible. One day of not buying food down, five days to go!

I'm taking a tip from this thread and making a list of all the foods I don't have in that I'm itching to buy, and come Saturday I'll look at my list and see if I actually want them or if it was just a passing craving.

Reactions: 8
I've done pretty well so far! I'm not counting food either because sometimes you just get caught out and I'm not going to go hungry when I'm out and about just for the sake of it. I bought some homeware yesterday - it was a few bits I genuinely needed and have been putting off buying for ages but I couldn't any longer. Other than that I haven't bought anything on a whim! I've spent hours looking at clothes but so far I have resisted the very intense urge!

Reactions: 6
I was curious how many adverts I see/hear each day - Just WFH this morning I've seen almost 200, and that's not even including anything like branding on consumable products such as toiletries and food/drink (that I'd consider a form of advertising as it is brand recognition.)

I came across this that estimates the average person sees 6,000-10,000 ads every day - no wonder people (including me) struggle with overspending. That's a horrific amount of messages bombarding you. I was listening to a 9 minute podcast about minimalism just now and it had 4 ads - in 9 minutes!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I was curious how many adverts I see/hear each day - Just WFH this morning I've seen almost 200, and that's not even including anything like branding on consumable products such as toiletries and food/drink (that I'd consider a form of advertising as it is brand recognition.)

I came across this that estimates the average person sees 6,000-10,000 ads every day - no wonder people (including me) struggle with overspending. That's a horrific amount of messages bombarding you. I was listening to a 9 minute podcast about minimalism just now and it had 4 ads - in 9 minutes!

That's fascinating. Ads typically prey on our insecurities or ego, so no wonder we always want more 🤯

That's fascinating. Ads typically prey on our insecurities or ego, so no wonder we always want more 🤯
You can always turn them down when they come on. I’m in the habit of tuning them out. I started as a teenager when my friend got up to turn down the tv during commercial breaks. That was her dad’s policy for watching tv!

You can always turn them down when they come on. I’m in the habit of tuning them out. I started as a teenager when my friend got up to turn down the tv during commercial breaks. That was her dad’s policy for watching tv!
It's mostly online advertising - I've just read one article on my local news website and the total amount of ads on the page? 81. Even if you only go down to the comments section there was still 24 ads.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.