Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m in with the low buying! I’ve had a bit of a splurge on some things I needed (new trainers, new jeans) but I honestly need nothing more. I have a wardrobe full of clothes and I wear the same 10 things on repeat 😂 I’m going to shop my wardrobe this year!

Will buy as and when I need something e.g toiletries rather than buying for the sake of buying.

Reactions: 10
Parking my butt here. Definitely need to stick to this again, I was so good at it but the mental rut and returning depression is pushing me towards the short term gratification that comes with emotional eating and impulse buying. Inhave just replaced my earphones which have broken down, and hopefully that's it with my shopping this month. I will also stop randomly buying snacks or goods that I don't know what to do with; I will instead plan several recipes that I want to cook that week and stick to a shopping list. (I'm not a strict meal planner but I like to think ahead.) Packed lunch everyday. Takeaway to an absolute minimum, and I mean minimum. Once every month, if that. That includes buying lunch at work as well, not just home deliveries. I will stop purchasing stuff just because I think it'll finally make me look like who I think I am. I have plenty of clothes, and until they are irreparable or too baggy (also want to lose weight) they will not be replaced. Exceptions are simple gifts for people and unplanned expenses of course. I will also keep decluttering. I am all for keeping sentimental pieces, but within reason. I intend to do some serious saving this year to make it possible for me to move. Wish me luck and courage, I need it. Everything feels so difficult. 🙁

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Oh I am in too!
turned all my coat hangers round the same way ajd if not used within 6 months it’s going to charity. Pre covid we used to bring all our clothes we didn’t want into the office and play swap shop and left overs were donated to clothing bank.

Reactions: 8
Well we are already 4 days in! Honestly my spending is so bad that every day is a little win for me, so I’m proud that I’m sticking to it so far.

I do wish I’d done it last year though as it would have been a lot easier not to spend in lockdown - I feel like I needed the mental pick me up during that time though so not going to be too hard on myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
How’s everyone getting on? Any temptations yet?

I’ve drawn up a little no spend calendar in my bullet journal so I can colour in every day I don’t spend money (on unnecessary things - not counting food etc) and am finding it quite motivating so far.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
How’s everyone getting on? Any temptations yet?

I’ve drawn up a little no spend calendar in my bullet journal so I can colour in every day I don’t spend money (on unnecessary things - not counting food etc) and am finding it quite motivating so far.
I had a bit of a weak moment and ordered a pair of trousers for an event I am going to in March but I’m sending them back tomorrow! I don’t need them now. Luckily it was free postage and returns too so I won’t end up out of pocket. Still on track…just! The journaling is a great idea!

Reactions: 5
I just made my first purchase of the year haha. I ordered 2 new pairs of jeans, ONLY because I had 2 good pairs left and when they need to be washed I'm always like what??? am I supposed to wear now that's not my old and way too baggy clothes 😂 Thought it was time for new denim

Reactions: 4
I’m operating a one in one out policy for everything now - clothes, skincare, make up, books etc

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m doing well! Just groceries/food spent on this month ☺ Great to have this thread

Last night I started a budgeting/saving/spending, diary and I'm having a no spend January (plus 3 other months this year) the rest will be low spend. Writing down all my debt gave me the kick up the arse I needed. I'm such an impulse spender plus can't resist a good offer even if I don't really need it! Oh and I swear my "when I lose weight" wardrobe has more clothes than my regular wardrobe 😒 I really am trying to lose weight this time though lol.
Started selling stuff on vinted and if me and the kids really need something I will check there first.
So far spent £60 on my food shop for me, adult son, teenager and 2 kids which is good for me 🙂

I honestly love no buys! I started doing them in my early twenties and would recommend them to anyone.
I started small with one month then three months etc. and I was always forgetting to go shopping when they were over as I’d broken the habit completely and realised if I didn’t need something urgently then I would manage without it indefinitely.
if you think of it like a skill that you’re learning, every time you close the tab/ walk past the shop/ put the thing down your building the muscle up 💪 and it will get easier as you go 😊

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm doing quite well went to B&M today but only bought a few bits I actually needed like a new bathroom bin.

Anyone here done a low buy/no buy before? Any tips on how you made it sucessful?

I am doing one for clothes and accessories for 2022 as I just have way too much stuff and am sick of myself buying more and more when I don’t need it.
Yes! Been trying to do this for about 6 months, I set up a savings account that takes a little bit of money out of my bank every week & I was surprised at how much I saved via that, and then realised I could save even more by not buying 'stuff' just for the sake of buying.

I gave lots of clothes to charity using the Thrift+ app. I decided to re-dye my black jeans after they faded, rather than buying a new pair. Same with some dungarees, I dyed them as well, when I got bored of the grey colour they were. For other clothes I've done a one-in-one-out thing and only bought stuff I actually needed, and bought fewer, better quality things rather than lots of cheap things. Gave up buying polyester and acrylic wherever possible.

I started a book swap with some neighbours and some of my Instagram friends, rather than buying new books.

Next on the list is the stupid 'just in case' cupboard which is full of junk I'm sure we won't need, we open it occasionally and see things we've not used for a long time but somehow haven't thrown away or recycled yet. I'd love to empty that sometime this spring!

Reactions: 4
I've had two no spend days in a row, feeling good about it. Didn't have much to eat at home today but instead of ordering in, I just made a nonsensical plate of all the leftovers. At least I won't have a bunch of tiny tuppeware cluttering the fridge. I'll need to do a food shop this weekend, other than that I don't want to buy anything else. Got rid of some expired spices and herbs today, and even the stuff I have left is enough to carry me for a good while. No emergency or unexpected expenses yet -touch wood- so I'm doing okay!

So far I have only bought a dressing gown whilst at the supermarket because I don't have one and it has got ridiculously cold. But I'm glad I mentally weighed it up whilst browsing rather than just dashing it in the trolley. I intend to use it for years so it seemed ok.

I have managed nearly a week of not browsing etsy and ebay which is quite a feat for my magpie eyes.

• Heart
I wouldn't say I'm there yet, but I've massively improved. At one point, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, video games, etc were my weakness. I became a collector - e.g. I had to have all albums/singles by some of my favourite artists.

I wasn't going into debt or anything, but I wasn't saving as much as I wanted to. One day I realised I needed to thin out some of the clutter, so I started going through boxes and realised I had lots of CDs/DVDs etc that were still sealed. I obviously didn't even want half of what I'd bought if I didn't even take the shrinkwrap off!

I pretty much stopped that day. I haven't bought anything like that in at least two years and I don't even miss it. I've given a lot to charity and also sold some of the more valuable items. I've still got stuff to sell, but I love the extra space! 😂

Good luck to all of you in your endeavours. I promise you that you'll feel so much better for it.

I had a bit of a weak moment and ordered a pair of trousers for an event I am going to in March but I’m sending them back tomorrow! I don’t need them now. Luckily it was free postage and returns too so I won’t end up out of pocket. Still on track…just! The journaling is a great idea!
I did the same! Couldn’t sleep and ordered a couple of things in the sale when I was browsing in the middle of the night. Regretted it as soon as I woke up, will be sending them back. Free postage and returns so not out of pocket phew!

I did the same! Couldn’t sleep and ordered a couple of things in the sale when I was browsing in the middle of the night. Regretted it as soon as I woke up, will be sending them back. Free postage and returns so not out of pocket phew!
So easy to do. Defo an eff it moment and a lesson learned on trying to control my impulses when it comes to buying. Well done love, bit of clarity and back on track - we’ve got this

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.