Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I made the mistake of going BM home bargains today 🙈, was meant to be pet supplies and out but also bought new baking trays, a dehumidifier and custard. Have come home and put a load of stuff on e Bay to even out the karma 🙃

Reactions: 5
I’ve got a bit of a dilemma, have seen lots of Xmas wrapping paper/cards/gift tags that I know I will use next year at 70% off but have committed to no/low buy. Do we think its justified? I will just be buying at full price next December otherwise!

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma, have seen lots of Xmas wrapping paper/cards/gift tags that I know I will use next year at 70% off but have committed to no/low buy. Do we think its justified? I will just be buying at full price next December otherwise!
That's a great saving! I do this and stash them in a cupboard.
I got my Christmas crackers for 50p last year!!

Doing well with the packed lunch/no takeaway decision, and using up what's in the fridge. Lunch was leftover rice and stew, it's a faff to carry it and clean the confainer etc every day but whenever I think of the money I spent on a basic meal that would have cost a fraction of its menu price, I feel motivated again.

Reactions: 10
I made the mistake of going BM home bargains today 🙈, was meant to be pet supplies and out but also bought new baking trays, a dehumidifier and custard. Have come home and put a load of stuff on e Bay to even out the karma 🙃
I struggle going into places like Home Bargains as they do have things you don't get elsewhere or that are at a much better price but equally I end up buying things I don't need and ultimately spend more.

Reactions: 3
My sister got a robot vacuum for Xmas and I went on to look at some, was sooooo close to buying one for a great price but then I was like 🤔 I don’t actually need this in my tiny ex council house, and we keep all the doors closed at night anyway because we have a stove 😂 I would normally buy first and question it later.
So apart from spending money on online bingo out of pure habit, I have no other unnecessary spends so far ☺☺

Reactions: 8
It’s your decision but I find it easier to be really black and white about it or I find that there are lots of ways to justify buying stuff. When I’m doing a no spend month I literally buy nothing but food, essential cleaning supplies and gifts/cards for birthdays. And petrol.
But if you’re doing low buy rather than no buy, go for it!

Reactions: 7
I'm cutting down on buying clothes for myself. If I get something in my head I will try and look for a second hand one on ebay . Sometimes I look for kids stuff too. I'm trying to to buy clothes for myself much unless I use the money from what I've sold ( I'm saving it into a treat fund) . I will probably ask for clothes / shoes for Xmas and birthday, if I want something. Or vouchers.

I am also trying to stick to natural fibres, rather than synthetic and look for quality rather than quantity.

Reactions: 4
I hate myself for the amount of £ I spent on takeaways since lockdown began and I'm determined to NO BUY this tit this year.

Reactions: 2
Apart from unfortunate home bargains incident doing well. In same quandary as previous poster called in co op for milk - gift wrap 25p, Christmas cards 38p. Resisted but I think will buy if still there when I do school pick up, £2 expenditure and I'm set for next Xmas v what I would spend normally.

Reactions: 6
Doing well! I’ve not limited food, so have had a couple of takeouts and one meal out. I’m doing dry Jan and gave up smoking as well, however, so feeling like I need something 😂

No purchases apart from that though! Next month I will have 2 things I’m finished and will replace, toiletries wise, and one thing for my kitchen which has been on my list for months.

Reactions: 3
I would not be participating if not for the fact that my new credit card is stalled in the mail. So far the only purchases I’ve made in 2022 has been $37 that I spent on food. That’s amazing by my standards. I have been finishing what’s in my refrigerator and freezer which is mainly food that I’m not excited about lol

Reactions: 2
Still going strong here! Tried to sort out my wardrobe last night and just felt completely overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I own, which has really reinforced why I need to do this. I don’t need anything clothing or shoes for years at this rate.

The only things I will actually run out of this year is probably skin care but rather than what I’ve previously done which is buy skin care and hoard it, I’m going to just buy stuff when I am actually running out. I’m excited for how much space I’ll have if I stop hoarding beauty products too.

Reactions: 6
I would not be participating if not for the fact that my new credit card is stalled in the mail. So far the only purchases I’ve made in 2022 has been $37 that I spent on food. That’s amazing by my standards. I have been finishing what’s in my refrigerator and freezer which is mainly food that I’m not excited about lol
That's amazing, 12 days and only 37 dollars!

My food bill is still too high but I did spend less than I was in December, and am trying to substitute/cut out unnecessary treats. My aim is over next few weeks to perfect the food shop to get it lower without being miserable.

I have just bought a pair of thermal leggings as I am constantly cold but have gone for budget brand and only one item (typically I would try to buy the same thing in different colours 😱😅).

So I class my attempt this year as low buy rather than no buy but I will:

- cut out buying multiples of things for the sake of it (a bad habit i have)
-swap some food items for cheaper alternatives and cut out unnecessary snacks (still have some but not as many), and meal plan to avoid ingredients wastage.
-add wanted items onto a notepad and wait till payday to see if they are still wanted or needed
-have just cancelled my Audible subscription as that was about 8£ a month not really being used (😬 good intentions in the past to listen to lots of books but past six months I forgot. So now it's cancelled).
-Make do and mend with items I have rather than binning them prematurely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I have just bought a pair of thermal s but have gone for budget brand and only one item (typically I would try to buy the same thing in different colours 😱😅).

Also my thermals are a no name from Marshall’s. They’re superb. Hopefully they hold up 😅

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.