Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Doing well. I had to buy some masks today, as well as a screen protector for my phone and a new case for my dad's phone. It's not a massive expense and they were necessary so I won't beat myself up about it but I'm not letting it turn into a full spree of things 'that might come in handy'. I truly hate online shopping, it's so convenient and easy but I also dread the whole delivery/packages/seeing if everything is in good shape/possible returns/all the information I need to provide... Such a faff. I hope I won't need something else this month. I could find these things at shops as well but I'll have to wander around a lot and the transport expense is not at all worth what I'm getting.

Still carrying a packed lunch, and I walked to work this morning despite the rain. Counting unnecessary cab rides as a part of my spending diet as well, they became so expensive. I'll take advantage of living in the centre and not rely on them so much, especially just because I'm feeling lazy.

Reactions: 7
No untoward amazon purchases, only things I've had delivered are tea bags, bin bags and more masks for my son which are all pretty essential. Grocery shopping yesterday and spent a lot less than my usual and don't feel overwhelmed with food. We'll be having a takeaway tomorrow night which will be more expensive but it's my husband's birthday so happy to pay a bit more for something.

Had a great win with clothes shopping. I saw someone on Instagram wearing a dress from one of my favourite shops which I really liked, went onto the website and found it but they also had 20% off all their sale clothes so I was looking through and added a few things to my basket. Then I got a grip of myself and shut the page down.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I admire all your willpower! I’m absolutely terrible. I start off with good intentions but yesterday I met a friend for coffee in John Lewis, I ended up buying a gorgeous classic wool and cashmere camel coat reduced from £215 to £60! Then I saw a fireside set for my woodburner (you know poker, shovel, brush) that was reduced from £70 to £5!!!! and yes, I needed one. I can never resist a great bargain…ever!

Had a great win with clothes shopping. I saw someone on Instagram wearing a dress from one of my favourite shops which I really liked, went onto the website and found it but they also had 20% off all their sale clothes so I was looking through and added a few things to my basket. Then I got a grip of myself and shut the page down.
Aw welldone!!! I did the exact same. Asos had a Big sale on. I went through and added £100 worth of clothes to my basket. Then I realised that that money would pay for a few really good days out with my children and that I already have SO many clothes. Didn't buy a thing 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I admire all your willpower! I’m absolutely terrible. I start off with good intentions but yesterday I met a friend for coffee in John Lewis, I ended up buying a gorgeous classic wool and cashmere camel coat reduced from £215 to £60! Then I saw a fireside set for my woodburner (you know poker, shovel, brush) that was reduced from £70 to £5!!!! and yes, I needed one. I can never resist a great bargain…ever!
That's such a good bargain though, if the coat and the set are good quality, they pretty much paid for themselves since you won't need a replacement any time soon. Cashmere and wool coat for 60 quid is really good, I probably wouldn't have said no either 😂

Reactions: 3
2 weeks in today! How are we all feeling and getting on?

I have written myself some rules in my notes app to help me along with the no buy year which I have stuck to so far 😊 its helpful for me because for instance I’ve just run out of dry shampoo but don’t feel like ‘duck it’ for buying more as it’s within my rules.

What I’m not buying:

Clothing
Makeup
Hair or body products
Homeware
Candles
Bath bombs
Nail products

What I can buy:

Shampoo/Conditioner/shower Gel if it has run out
Food/coffee
Experiences
Products which have run out and I have nothing I can use instead (eg used all my other kinds of this product)
Books (no more than 2 at a time) if I have 5 or less on my TBR stack
Gifts
Haircuts/hair dye
Gym

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m doing well. Not bought anything apart from food and a new dog tag (legal requirement!)

I'm doing ok I did buy myself a dressing gown the other day but I have been looking for one for ages as mine is at the end of its life. Apart from that I spent 50p on a cook book from the charity shop. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 5
Like I previously mentioned I bought new jeans and so far that's been the only purchase I made from things that were on my no buy list for this year ☺

Reactions: 2
Last year I moved away for good from purchasing fast fashion, which naturally led me to buy far less clothes as I will only buy from ethical sustainable high quality brands, or secondhand. So I ended 2021 having bought 3 dresses (i only wear dresses), 1 pair of pyjamas, and 1 pair of boots. Its not exactly a capsule wardrobe as its still quite big, but its such a load off my mind now to know I can pull anything out of my wardrobe and throw it on and know it will look good and fit well. I don't think at all when i get dressed in the morning now, which is great as i'm not a morning person! This year I want to continue with not buying many new clothes as that side is all sorted for me. I want to buy a few high quality/luxury accessories like a new purse and handbag but thats it. New low buy goal for this year is books - i have a huge stack of new books i haven't read yet, and then once i get through those i want to try and get all my books from the local library. Also want to 'low buy' food tbh, because i'm awful for getting lunches out. Really need to try prepping my lunch more often!

Reactions: 10
Had my first spendy day today but it didn't come from my budget so not too bothered.
Had to buy school trousers and getting a take away but I've used money from my vinted account, plus I get cashback from my card. Got cinema tickets but used clubcard points so free and raided my change tin to buy some sweets 😁 I made £37.77 on vinted yesterday so that's a positive.

If I stick to my budget I should be able to pay an extra £130 of my credit card at the end of the month 🤞🏻

• Heart
I’m doing really well. I’ve spent just under £30 this month so far (apart from bills) and even that £30 was just on bits of food & snacks for work, nothing materials wise.

im generally pretty good at low spend for most of the year, apart from October-January because of Christmas!

I just have a goal in my mind that pushes me to keep saving!

Reactions: 6
I'm doing well too, the only things I've bought this month are new earphones because the old ones broke, new masks, and a new screen cover for my phone, the old one was looking grim. I've taken a cab 3 times, twice in the morning because I was late and once at night because it was freezing 😬 Haven't slipped on takeaway front, packed lunch for work every day. I also topped off my bus card but non-cab transport is fair game. (Although I want to walk where/when I can.) It helps that I resent clothes shopping, guess there is a silver lining to everything 🙌

I’ve a bit of a dilemma, my walking shoes are letting in water and I’m getting very cold wet feet. I’m trying to wear my wellies more but they aren’t as grippy in the ice and mud.
I really don’t want to wreck my no buy January but cold wet feet everyday at my age isn’t good 😂

Reactions: 2
I’ve a bit of a dilemma, my walking shoes are letting in water and I’m getting very cold wet feet. I’m trying to wear my wellies more but they aren’t as grippy in the ice and mud.
I really don’t want to wreck my no buy January but cold wet feet everyday at my age isn’t good 😂
This is why I would recommend rules! Like you don’t buy anything unless something breaks that you need to replace.

That way you could replace things if needed without feeling like you’ve wrecked your No buy and then being tempted to sack it off. it’s not realistic to just say you can’t buy any thing at all.

Reactions: 6
Absolutely. I’ve bought some lightbulbs 😂 it wouldn’t have been very fun this winter if I hadn’t. If your walking shoes are letting in, and you don’t have others then defo replace! It’s not like me and my literal boxes of trainers 😭 (I’ve stopped buying them a year of two now dw)

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.