Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Definitely feeling no buy is bad for my mental health! I’ve been waiting for my new credit card to arrive and just letting things I need build up in the cart. I’ve definitely lost happiness points this week. Capitalism has hijacked my dopamine receptors 😑
I’ve countered this by doing small savings challenges like the penny savings challenge, the 52 weekly savings challenge. I’m still “spending” but on my own savings 😂

I’ve also booked fortnightly groceries deliveries and if I need a hit I go in those! Also if you do genuinely need the item, you should get it! If I say, ran out of something necessary, I would totally buy it

Reactions: 3
I cleared my wardrobe out after Christmas and I was pretty disappointed in myself at how many beautiful clothes I have but never wear and yet I constantly seem to be wearing leggings and a hoody and look a bit of a scruff compared to my old self (I’m still always clean 🤣). Ive definitely “let myself go a bit” since lockdown and can see how it could snowball. I’ve put on a stone in the last year that I’m desperate to lose too. We also need so much doing to our house this year I’m sure all the primark shops/ online orders will soon add up to helping towards that. Good luck every one ☺
I've got 3 gorgeous dresses that I bought after Christmas 2019 for formal nights on the cruises we had booked. Two years later never worn them and I dare not try them on as I don't think they will fit anymore 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I’ve countered this by doing small savings challenges like the penny savings challenge, the 52 weekly savings challenge. I’m still “spending” but on my own savings 😂

I’ve also booked fortnightly groceries deliveries and if I need a hit I go in those! Also if you do genuinely need the item, you should get it! If I say, ran out of something necessary, I would totally buy it
I didn’t set out for this to be a no buy week. It happened this way because I got a new credit card and there’s a promotional offer attached for spending x amount in the first few months. All of the things in my cart can honestly wait. I just don’t enjoy it
I’ve had access to the credit card via my Apple wallet (which sadly cannot be used everywhere) so I’ve done grocery purchases that way. I’m using the food saving app for a grocer near me. I like how nutrient dense all of their food is but I miss home deliveries. On the app, I have to get dressed up and go outside every day 😕
But yeah, I love the feeling of getting my needs met. I don’t think I could be on an extreme spending diet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
@Sheabutter I get what you mean - I get quite anxious at the thought of not being “stocked” if you know what I mean? I would hate the restriction of not having access to my card! No spend is millions of miles away for me personally. I do think I’m in a very bad habit though, hence the distractions!

Reactions: 5
How are people doing a week in, for those who are doing no buy in January or beyond?
I haven't bought anything but grocery. Had an order I made in December arrive this week so that helped a bit!

Reactions: 6
How are people doing a week in, for those who are doing no buy in January or beyond?
I haven't bought anything but grocery. Had an order I made in December arrive this week so that helped a bit!
I feel lighter not thinking about what I want to buy all the time. And less anxious, probably because I was starting to get a bad feeling when I bought stuff as I knew I didn’t need it.

Actually now I’m not shopping I have a bit more time too which is good.

It has also occurred to me how much more space I’m going to have if I actually use up the make up I have before buying more and don’t have a ‘collection’ (which feels pointless as I’ve only got one face so having so much is silly!)

Overall still feeling good and positive 👍🏻

Reactions: 7
In December, I did a rearranging of my bookshelves and saved a couple shelves for only my unread books. It's very safe to say that even if I read well (i.e. 5-6 books a month) I still have enough to carry me through the whole of 2022, and I know I won't be able to do that. I'm kind of glad I've hoarded books so much over the past years. Book prices here have skyrocketed lately (I don't live in the UK), and ordering the books I'd want from the UK online comes with a hefty customs fee, so knowing that I don't even need to purchase a single book to keep me going this year is a comforting thought.

Took a cab to work yesterday morning because I was running very late, and I bought some groceries on my way home, but it was the necessary stuff only - apart from some prawn crackers. Call it a Friday treat 😬 I still have some more stuff to pick up from the greengrocer's but hopefully that's the only thing I'll spend money on this weekend.

I've had my eye on a Sims expansion pack but I've stopped myself and stepped away from it. 🙌 I know I'd enjoy it if I bought it, but I have plenty of them already and not nearly enough time to play and explore to make it worth my while.
I did exactly the same this week with my book shelf and I have enough books to keep me going for at least 6 months.

Only groceries so far, had a beauty advent calendar last year so have enough make up and skin care to keep me going. All my Next sale items have started arriving now though (did VIP pre xmas) I don't know whether to keep or return, admittedly only need the kids shoes but I do like a bargain 🤔🤷‍♀️😬

Ive slipped up. In the sale. I bought a perfume. Ive opened it and tested it now. I cant take it back.

Only groceries so far, had a beauty advent calendar last year so have enough make up and skin care to keep me going. All my Next sale items have started arriving now though (did VIP pre xmas) I don't know whether to keep or return, admittedly only need the kids shoes but I do like a bargain 🤔🤷‍♀️😬
I'd keep this time if good bargains.

Reactions: 4
Bought nothing. Pretty easy so far because just had the big rush and excitement of new things from Christmas, and running out of room to keep things so not really wanting to buy anything right now.

Reactions: 6
Right - I'm (sort of) in.

My biggest spending area is groceries, I buy them with good intentions and then waste more than I should. So from now until next Saturday I'm planning to not buy any food. I've got enough in to last at least a week, and it'll encourage me to use stuff up.

Reactions: 10
Been in covid isolation for a week so I haven’t spent any money… not even online shopping which I’m amazed at. I usually shop out of boredom but really resisted, my savings account thanks me 🙂

Reactions: 9
Does anyone else feel the same as me? I spend my entire life obsessing about finding certain things I want to get- a houseplant, or a new jumper etc- and then I get them and jump straight on to the next.

and if I’m not shopping I feel quite empty.

that sounds really pathetic!

I’d really like to save up for a holiday and spend my time better, stop shopping and scrolling looking for stuff!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Does anyone else feel the same as me? I spend my entire life obsessing about finding certain things I want to get- a houseplant, or a new jumper etc- and then I get them and jump straight on to the next.

and if I’m not shopping I feel quite empty.

that sounds really pathetic!

I’d really like to save up for a holiday and spend my time better, stop shopping and scrolling looking for stuff!
Yeees this is me 100%! It’s like I have a specific picture in my mind of what I want and then I obsessively search for that item, once I find it and buy it I move onto another and I don’t necessarily always even get the use out of the item I spent so long looking for.

I assume it must be like a thrill of the chase type thing? And definitely boredom so I’m just trying to find more hobbies that don’t involve shopping like reading, running, crafting.

Reactions: 7
Hi there saw this post and thought it was a great idea, something that sobered me up was I got a statement from eBay that I had bought 435 items last year, that is more than 1 a day, it’s so ridiculous of me so I definitely want to make a change

Reactions: 12
Well I failed 🙈 2 takeaways and a mcdonalds this week 😬 I don't even have a valid excuse other than I only bought the food that was needed and no extras in Asda so 'rewarded' with a takeaway. Uber sent a £10 off code and the mcdonalds was convenience food as we were out all day 😪

Reactions: 4
Well I failed 🙈 2 takeaways and a mcdonalds this week 😬 I don't even have a valid excuse other than I only bought the food that was needed and no extras in Asda so 'rewarded' with a takeaway. Uber sent a £10 off code and the mcdonalds was convenience food as we were out all day 😪
You’ve got to eat! There’s always tomorrow to start again! I’m guilty of ordering a takeaway when I can’t be bothered to cook either.

Hi! So glad I came across this thread because this is what I need!! Already slipped up and spent some money on online bingo, it’s my little Friday night ritual and I literally did it without thinking 🙈
Last year, I set myself a goal, for every library book I read, I put away £10. So I read 65 books last year, and 56 of them were from the library ☺ I was reading a really good series and they were missing some books 😂

Need to stop spending on clothes, especially cheap, disposable clothes! I have so much stuff and it’s in aaaaaall different sizes because I gained a lot of weight in the last two years so kept having to get bigger sizes 🙄

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.