Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love platform shoes! Love this thread!

I've set up an auto-invest instruction so that every month my savings are invested as soon as they're taken from my bank account. It feels so good to know the savings aren't just "sitting there" and motivates me to save even more!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Love platform shoes! Love this thread!

I've set up an auto-invest instruction so that every month my savings are invested as soon as they're taken from my bank account. It feels so good to know the savings aren't just "sitting there" and motivates me to save even more!
Which platform are you using? Do you have any recommendations for things to look at?
————

Another NSD this end - this is a combination of remarkable self-control, having more than I could possibly ever use 😳 and being snowed in. 😂

Another great cook here and I’ve noticed takeaways getting progressively more disappointing- I suppose they’re trying to save cash… can’t beat a haggis supper for £6 though. 😁 But in the future when I deliberately swerve the takeaway I shall transfer that to savings immediately.

Reactions: 5
Haha. I decided at the beginning of the week, no more chocolate or sweets. In my resolve I threw an unopened pack of those strawberry pencil things. The bin men haven't been and they're still in my kitchen bin. My head's going "put your gloves on, fish them out, they're wrapped, where's the harm, start again tomorrow". There's another voice saying "No! Remember why you put them there. Are you going to fall at the first hurdle? DO YOU WANT TO LOSE THAT STONE OR NOT?" Argggh 🤐
If it's still unopened and sealed, maybe you could donate them to food bank instead?

You can still have sweets and lose weight. Have a look at myfitnesspal you need more support.

Reactions: 2
Which platform are you using? Do you have any recommendations for things to look at?
————
I'm using Hargreaves Lansdown - they have a really good app and are pretty well regarded for investing. Full disclosure, I used to work for them so am slightly biased probably! But I've used Lightyear in the past and didn't stay with them for long.

Low spend day today. My partner and I went for an early dinner before our dance class tonight, a local Pakistani place that's run down but proper legit food - £9 total for both of us!! We're doing no-takeaway January so look forward to our midweek meal out, as it's barely more expensive than ingredients to cook at home.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Just seen a video on TikTok that I loved of someone sharing their do not buy list and think it’s a genius idea. It can be super vague (hers had pastel colours on it) or really specific (eg this bag from this brand) but just taking some time to think about what you’re realistically going to use versus what appeals to you/is targeted to you? It’s interesting to think about!

Reactions: 7
It’s payday on Friday and I actually have a decent chunk of ‘spends’ left. Just shows how much I was wasting on mindless coffees and things I probably didn’t really need.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Made up for the disappointing lunch by making a massive salad at home for dinner. My stomach and my purse are both relieved 😂 I also resisted the urge to take a cab with my shopping bags and took the bus instead. Since my commute isn't long at all, I shouldn't be addicted to cab convenience this much.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I don’t know if anyone else gets this but when you’re debating eating out or getting takeaway and you really want it, but you remind yourself of the food at home even if it isn’t exciting. But you end up making a decent dinner out of it and haven’t spent any money on more food! I had frozen a really nice chilli which I forgot I defrosted, made some white rice and gone to bed with a full stomach and a nice no spend day 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm a postie and on my current round I deliver to numerous fast food places and the smell in them just makes me want to heave. I'm sure if I was in there to order, I wouldn't notice the smell

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Looks as if it’s been merged! Thank you @Moderator and crew
I wondered how this thread got up to 44 pages so quickly haha

In other news, I’ve already bought the one item on my 2024 list (a new phone after my old one crashed twice in the same week), so, that’s me and my splurging done for the year 😬

We’re going on holiday to Dubai (shopping capital of the world) next month. I can’t think of anything that I particularly want other than a fridge magnet as a souvenir. Have I rehabilitated from a shopping addiction…?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It was my husband’s birthday yesterday and he wanted takeaway pizza as his treat Meal. It was nicer than dominoes (which we had far too often for years) but didn’t blow me away. And it left me hungry after! Can’t believe how much money we’ve spent on takeaway pizza over the years, it definitely isn’t worth it!

I may have to put my foot down now and say we only get takeaways for things we can’t recreate at home. Having said that I felt mean limiting what he had as he’d had a rubbish birthday with work and a sick child.
---
I am taking him to a spa day in a few weeks so I’m not completely joyless haha

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I wondered how this thread got up to 44 pages so quickly haha

In other news, I’ve already bought the one item on my 2024 list (a new phone after my old one crashed twice in the same week), so, that’s me and my splurging done for the year 😬

We’re going on holiday to Dubai (shopping capital of the world) next month. I can’t think of anything that I particularly want other than a fridge magnet as a souvenir. Have I rehabilitated from a shopping addiction…?
Go to Global Village in Dubai and if all you leave with is a fridge magnet, congratulations you are fully rehabilitated!! 🤣
I had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of there else I would have bought sooo much haha

Reactions: 4
It was my husband’s birthday yesterday and he wanted takeaway pizza as his treat Meal. It was nicer than dominoes (which we had far too often for years) but didn’t blow me away. And it left me hungry after! Can’t believe how much money we’ve spent on takeaway pizza over the years, it definitely isn’t worth it!

I may have to put my foot down now and say we only get takeaways for things we can’t recreate at home. Having said that I felt mean limiting what he had as he’d had a rubbish birthday with work and a sick child.
---
I am taking him to a spa day in a few weeks so I’m not completely joyless haha
I used to work for PizzaExpress and one of the things I'd never pay money for outside the home is Pizza. The markup is ridiculous, eg back in 2007 the PE Margarita was £4.99, the cost of the ingredients was 24p! OK there are other costs to running a restaurant but in general food cost would be somewhere between 24% and 30% of the menu price, the margarita was less than 5% food cost.
Popcorn is another with a huge markup and Pasta.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Yes popcorn is super cheap to make at home. I feel that way about steak as well; it’s always so expensive in restaurants and I find it’s rarely cooked how I like it. Way cheaper and nicer to make it myself at home.

Reactions: 4
Slightly off subject but talking of mark ups, wine in restaurants. Sometimes I see wine that I may buy for drinking at home (most I would pay is a tenner), and it is 30 quid upwards in a restaurant. I know they have overheads but that is ridiculous.

Reactions: 5
Actually eating out in general has lost its shine for me. Pre kids we used to eat out regularly as something to do, but since covid/kids I’ve pretty much gone cold Turkey and I realise I don’t miss it.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.