Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
on Tesco you can add your last order to basket by clicking a button so I checked mine.
It was ordered 12th Oct & cost £135.71 Today it'll cost £152.26!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
A few people have mentioned how expensive Morrisons is and I have also really noticed it over the last few weeks. Seems like they've cut back on a lot of stock too. Unfortunately it's the closest supermarket to me by quite a bit.

I'm very certain Morrisons did 10 cans of Heinz soup for a fiver a couple of years ago. Now it's four for £4, or one can for £1.45. Their own brand is 85p vs Asda own brand 55p. I know its "just" soup but christ.

Which supermarket does everyone think is cheapest, aside from Aldi or Lidl? I felt like Asda had a good selection and OK prices but wonder if they're all much of a muchness these days.

Reactions: 5
It really does depend on what you're buying. Some shops will have stuff cheaper then the other. Today I went to both Morrison's and Asda as they were close by and just a few feet away from the other. It's not our local area though so we don't usually shop at either regularly.

I personally don't have a car so only stick to walking distance when I shop alone.

Swede 59p at M , 65p Asda
Aubergines 65p at morrisons. 80p each at Asda
Courgettes 80p for a packet of 2 at Asda.
Carrots 45p at M my mother didn't want the cheaper wonky ones at 39p.
Brie own brand £1.75 at Asda,
7kg of potatoes @ £2,75 at Asda.

The Pumpkins were priced the same.

Reactions: 3
Big pack of lean mince £6:30 😩 I used to witch when it was £4.50

it’s literally every week everything is going up
A big shop for my family if 5 used to be £120 now it’s minimum £200 nothing drastically different!! I really can’t comprehend how families on benefits or low incomes are doing it and I feel I still don’t get everything I need!

• Sad
Reactions: 22
Anyone with power NI for electricity? I see everyone that pays via top up are getting the cheaper prices today. we pay via direct debit. I’m guessing they just automatically kick the cheaper rate in for us from today?

I’m trying to use the bare minimum on gas and electric and it’s still costing me a fortune 🥴

Everything is switched off when not in use
Hot water bottles and extra blankets instead of the heating
Not cooking roasts or meals that take an hour in the oven etc
I’m doing less loads of washing

It’s still not making much of a difference on how much it’s costing with the usage being more expensive.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m trying to use the bare minimum on gas and electric and it’s still costing me a fortune 🥴

Everything is switched off when not in use
Hot water bottles and extra blankets instead of the heating
Not cooking roasts or meals that take an hour in the oven etc
I’m doing less loads of washing

It’s still not making much of a difference on how much it’s costing with the usage being more expensive.
Exactly the same here!!! I'm putting so much effort into it and its not making a bit of difference. I watch the smart meter all day, its pathetic 😅 Its frustrating as it seems there is just nothing you can do about it and we have to just pay it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 7
I honestly think they talk tit when they tell you how much you can save by switching stuff off etc. Read an article the other day clickbaiting about HUGE yearly savings just from turning your TV off standby. £3.87. Per year. Aye duck off. Can't even get a meal deal for that these days.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Our mortgage fixed term happens to be ending as the new interest rates started 😩 we were hoping that we could reduce our mortgage payments so we can manage other outgoings, its gone up by £600 😭. We were paying 900 and now £1500 (south east).

I literally want to cry, we have cut back on everything that we can, i meal plan to an inch, have no heating on apart from 30 mins in the morning for the kids bedrooms so they aren’t freezing.

i bleeping hate this country and what the government has done to it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
we've been lucky so far as our Electric costs dont seem to have changed much, for gas we decided to pick a target of £4 a Day & any left over we can put towards a really cold Day. We've just over £68 'left over' which was higher than I expected so our gas was around £54 for Oct.

Reactions: 4

Yel

I get that the BoE need to downplay and say this recession won't be anywhere nearly as other ones over the last few decades. But it makes it hard to take them seriously at all when they're presenting the best best case scenario as if it's what they're expecting.

It wasn't that long ago they said they weren't raising interest rates as inflation was nothing to worry about and they expect it to drop quickly

Reactions: 11
It’s very worrying. But I can’t help think if they investigated how many people fraudulently claimed for furlough it might show why are here. I know so many employers who claimed furlough but their staff worked.

Reactions: 12

Yel

i bleeping hate this country and what the government has done to it.
The mortgage rate is actually only a small amount to do with the government and nothing unique to the UK. It's raising similarly across the eurozone and the states. Although the states are a few months ahead.

Screenshot_20221103_124052.jpg

The mortgage rate is actually only a small amount to do with the government and nothing unique to the UK. It's raising similarly across the eurozone and the states. Although the states are a few months ahead.

View attachment 1701035
i mean in general, i’m aware the rates arent down to them but everything else is, we could afford the rates if it wasnt down to the cost of everything else.

theu have fucked everything up for the squeezed middle whilst lining their own pockets and continuing to do so.

I’m selling my car mid month to we buy any car as we have a lease one coming. Typically it needs a service this month so got that done, £210. Needed a new tyre and brake fluid £120. So that’s £300 on something I won’t own in 2 weeks time 🙈

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I’m selling my car mid month to we buy any car as we have a lease one coming. Typically it needs a service this month so got that done, £210. Needed a new tyre and brake fluid £120. So that’s £300 on something I won’t own in 2 weeks time 🙈
when we went to wbac, it needed a service which we hadn't done, it needed a new tyre as it had a bump in it which we didn't get done, one of the key fobs was faulty and the door handle was missing and we literally left it with no diesel in and they still offered us more than we thought they would (and slightly over what people were selling the same car / year for privately). The ones we saw didn't seem that bothered by that stuff to be honest so I'm wondering if they have in house mechanics etc would just take care of that stuff

Reactions: 4
They dont care. Ours was making some almightly noises and needed so much work. They didnt even test drive it. Got back what we paid for it aswell because used cars are holding value so well. 🙈

Reactions: 3
Put it on top of your asking price! You've got receipts to go along with it as well, so nobody can complain and it's a better selling point, too. Cars are in pretty high demand anyway, it takes ages to order a new one right now and pre-owned sell for quite good money, so you should be totally fine doing that.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.