Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Speaking of cars..
Every single day my 32 year old friend complains that they can’t afford to move out of their parents house. They don’t have any bills other than their phone and car insurance/car tax and they don’t contribute towards any of their parents bills or pay rent to live there.. They’ve just dropped 32k cash on a second car. At one point they had owned 3 cars. Why one person needs 3 cars I will never know but it’s crazy to me that they constantly go on about not being able to afford to live. Stop buying cars then 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
Speaking of cars..
Every single day my 32 year old friend complains that they can’t afford to move out of their parents house. They don’t have any bills other than their phone and car insurance/car tax and they don’t contribute towards any of their parents bills or pay rent to live there.. They’ve just dropped 32k cash on a second car. At one point they had owned 3 cars. Why one person needs 3 cars I will never know but it’s crazy to me that they constantly go on about not being able to afford to live. Stop buying cars then 😂
32k is house deposit money!

Reactions: 22
@custard creams what was your newer car? I'd of thought newer would be cheaper to run unless it was a bigger engine/car? I'm looking to replace mine, probably with something like a 2013/14 clio or fiesta.
So far this month I've put in £145 diesel, that's just for school runs (3 miles each way) and after school clubs (furthest is about 4 miles each way). I'm probably doing about 16-20 miles a day mon-fri. We've not been anywhere so far this week.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Got a £500 cost of living boost from my employer. Nice gesture and would’ve helped but after the government/student loan company have taken their greedy cut I’m left with about £150 of it. Student loans should be set to annual salary not fluctuations each month, it only goes to interest. They say you can reclaim overpayments at the end of the tax year but that’s no use.

ronswanson-government.gif

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I had the slow cooker on yesterday with mixed veggies and herbs and spices and I've had 1 meal from it last night with some buttered bread (was delicious and warming) and I've got 6 more portions so going to have another later and maybe freeze the rest - plus I've got the leftover juice now in a big jug and already had a cup this morning 🥰 I could drink it warm or cool but will likely finish it by tomorrow as I'll give some to my dad who loves veggie juice too. So simple but nutritious as well

Reactions: 8
Got a £500 cost of living boost from my employer. Nice gesture and would’ve helped but after the government/student loan company have taken their greedy cut I’m left with about £150 of it. Student loans should be set to annual salary not fluctuations each month, it only goes to interest. They say you can reclaim overpayments at the end of the tax year but that’s no use.

View attachment 1681727
Snap!! Lovely gesture but would have gone further in an envelope of cash off the books, or a few supermarket gift cards lol. Not that I’m in anyway ungrateful but it’s sickening seeing all the deductions come off

• Sad
Reactions: 17

View attachment 1681727
I know someone who is due what should be a decent sum in backpay from their job (due end of this month backdated to Jan) but by the time he's had what the company are taking (apparently they over paid a bonus) alongside tax etc it'll be about £50 so it's hardly worth it. They say they're doing it to help with cost of living but £50 barely gets most people a weeks food shop now.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
My work have given everyone a pay rise to recognise the cost of living, on a sliding scale from 4-11% depending on your pay band with the lowest paid roles obviously getting the highest. Very much appreciated, they have cancelled our yearly performance related pay increase though, but for me that would have been £500 and the pay rise is worth about 1.5k so still better off. Works out to about £60 a month after all my deductions

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I know someone who is due what should be a decent sum in backpay from their job (due end of this month backdated to Jan) but by the time he's had what the company are taking (apparently they over paid a bonus) alongside tax etc it'll be about £50 so it's hardly worth it. They say they're doing it to help with cost of living but £50 barely gets most people a weeks food shop now.
Yeah many on our ward , when we recieved our back pay from Aprils pay rise ( in September) where very dissapointed by the deductions. Also many were moved to different higher % pension band which meant even less and arrears from April for that too.

• Sad
Has anyone not had their heating on yet? I've only thought once brrr could do with the heating on but it was at 5am just before I went to work. Like I'm not being tight with in. Sure I normally have it on in October.

Yeah many on our ward , when we recieved our back pay from Aprils pay rise ( in September) where very dissapointed by the deductions. Also many were moved to different higher % pension band which meant even less and arrears from April for that too.
Ye are due a pay rise dating back from April (civil servant). Still no actual figure as the unions are still disputing it.

Reactions: 10
Has anyone not had their heating on yet? I've only thought once brrr could do with the heating on but it was at 5am just before I went to work. Like I'm not being tight with in. Sure I normally have it on in October.
I haven’t yet cause I haven’t been cold enough. My long sleeve pjs and dressing gown have been fine, but it’s also been 15 degrees at some points in the day here so that’s playing a role I would imagine 😂😂

Reactions: 7
Has anyone not had their heating on yet? I've only thought once brrr could do with the heating on but it was at 5am just before I went to work. Like I'm not being tight with in. Sure I normally have it on in October
We normally have ours on by now but we haven’t yet.

We have used a couple of electric heaters for the odd half hour as my husband has raynauds.

The weather has been very changeable and we have had highs of 19 degrees this week!

It has been worse when it is raining as the damp makes it feel cooler.

I am now seeing it as a bit of a challenge for how long we can keep it off 🤣

We are looking at getting some of our rads replaced for more efficient ones. But seems a bit of a false economy if we aren't going to us them.

Reactions: 7
I am now seeing it as a bit of a challenge for how long we can keep it off 🤣
Same 🤣
I said to my husband we need to make sure we're not silly with the heating.
Me said WE?
Everytime you off and I get back from work your all in the shirt and shirts its that hot in the house. Which is absolutely true 🤦‍♀️ Maybe poo a layer on before we pop the heating on 🤣

Reactions: 5
Same 🤣
I said to my husband we need to make sure we're not silly with the heating.
Me said WE?
Everytime you off and I get back from work your all in the shirt and shirts its that hot in the house. Which is absolutely true 🤦‍♀️ Maybe poo a layer on before we pop the heating on 🤣
Yeh my husband moans it's cold and he's sitting there in a t shirt 😡

We are layering up, thick socks and slippers and I use a hot water bottle during the day whilst working from home.

Reactions: 9
I'm also doing The Chilly Challenge and not putting the heating on till its truly cold.

Who will be the last one standing, freezing our tits off?? 😂😂

Reactions: 4
I have not had my heating on because it's still warm. I put my teddy bedding on twice but had to take it off again as it was still too warm for it. I sleep with my window open I'm not a particularly hot person.
I live in North Herts and have my backdoor open all day still. It did cool down but warmed up again.

Our effing electric stove broke yesterday, just doesn’t turn on anymore. It’s only two years old, so there’s manufacturers warranty, but at least for a week or so, no stove, plus probably some cost we have to take on to fix it. :mad:

• Sad
  • Heart
Bannatyne turns pool temps down from 29c to 28c, some are outraged.

I think it could go lower tbh, my gym has turned off the hottubs and the pool is so warm that quite often there's more people talking than swimming in the pool. But I'm a witch like that and can't stand people getting in the way in the pool while not swimming 😆

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.