Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else feel like they are trying to cover the governments inaction with a lot of stories about the migrant crisis? So that the focus pulls away from them and the blame can be placed on migrants and refugees?

It seems very conincidental timing that this is now such a focus when we are now apparently facing a 2 year recession that will go into the next election.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Yel

Talking of cars a guy at work said the other day that a headlight needed replacing in his car and it would cost £2000. That wasn't even a main dealer but a "cheap" price for it. Apparently it's all a sealed unit so needed a whole new light thing rather than just replacing the bulb. Don't think it's a super expensive car either - more a midrange. It's not that long out of warranty and he's now on the hunt for a reconditioned unit for a bit over half the price. So many people with newer cars seem to spend a fortune keeping them running.

This stuff should all be modular and universal. But of course it isn't so they can rip you off. Apparently with the new iPhones each part is hard coded to only work with that phone. So even swapping screens / cameras etc of two identical phones won't work. Making it so only apple can service your phone, and charge a fortune. Criminal.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
Talking of cars a guy at work said the other day that a headlight needed replacing in his car and it would cost £2000. That wasn't even a main dealer but a "cheap" price for it. Apparently it's all a sealed unit so needed a whole new light thing rather than just replacing the bulb. Don't think it's a super expensive car either - more a midrange. It's not that long out of warranty and he's now on the hunt for a reconditioned unit for a bit over half the price. So many people with newer cars seem to spend a fortune keeping them running.

This stuff should all be modular and universal. But of course it isn't so they can rip you off. Apparently with the new iPhones each part is hard coded to only work with that phone. So even swapping screens / cameras etc of two identical phones won't work. Making it so only apple can service your phone, and charge a fortune. Criminal.
I agree and from a sustainability PoV it’s atrocious their PR must be great that they don’t get more tit for this, although apparently they’ll have to comply with standardised charging ports which will be brilliant if it happens.

But yes this basically makes buying their extended Apple Care the electronics device version of gap insurance 😬 obvs not the same product but as in you’d be silly not to as if anything does happen it’s at such a huge needless additional cost. Just took a look and it’s £200 for the latest iPhone (£1.2k), so it is a noticeable additional cost on top of an already expensive product. However we’ve always bought it for every device and have no complaints, I wouldn’t buy another apple product w/o it now but that’s how they get you 😬

Reactions: 4

I have so many friends who mock me for driving a 10 year old Fiat 500, who always make jokes about the unreliability, but hearing stuff like this makes me never want to upgrade to some of the newer cars. My car only needs about £200 of repairs every year.
cars seem to be following the same design choices as smart phones these days; why should a headlight cost £2000?!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The mortgage rate is actually only a small amount to do with the government and nothing unique to the UK. It's raising similarly across the eurozone and the states. Although the states are a few months ahead.

View attachment 1701035
It's the same in Canada. We are expecting another hike in December after one in October.

Dreading the energy bills in winter. I keep the heat at 18 during the day, husband prefers it warmer but he's out at the office. We can't keep heat off unless it's a warm winter day, as winter can get down to -30. We do have a smart thermostat so it doesn't run constantly.
I turn electronics off when not using them.

What makes up most of the bill is not the usage but the bleeping add on fees. It is insane.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Brand new energy saving trick: Heating doesn't work :rolleyes:

Contacted the landlord already, but they don't know whether it can be repaired before the weekend, it is off since Monday. It definitely worked before and even was serviced about two weeks ago. It's not terribly cold, but the bathroom doesn't dry anymore and we have a windowless bathroom... The only room where I'd want to switch it own because towels smell damp and musty after a day in this weather.

• Sad
Reactions: 6

Yel

I agree and from a sustainability PoV it’s atrocious their PR must be great that they don’t get more tit for this, although apparently they’ll have to comply with standardised charging ports which will be brilliant if it happens.

But yes this basically makes buying their extended Apple Care the electronics device version of gap insurance 😬 obvs not the same product but as in you’d be silly not to as if anything does happen it’s at such a huge needless additional cost. Just took a look and it’s £200 for the latest iPhone (£1.2k), so it is a noticeable additional cost on top of an already expensive product. However we’ve always bought it for every device and have no complaints, I wouldn’t buy another apple product w/o it now but that’s how they get you 😬
Apple is such a cult. They're just as bad as the other tech companies but their brand has a great image and people believe the greenwashing claims.

They have such extraordinary power throughout their supply chain and could make a real difference. But they do the bare minimum as they wouldn't want profits reduced by 1 or 2%.

It seems like for the last 10 years Apple has spoken about using the same charger as every other phone. Seems like another nuclear fission - always just around the corner 😆

My car only needs about £200 of repairs every year.
cars seem to be following the same design choices as smart phones these days; why should a headlight cost £2000?!
I think many people may be coming round to this is the way to live.

When I do have to get a new car the first thing I'll look to is how much repairs cost. Shocking the waste all round.

Reactions: 7
I have so many friends who mock me for driving a 10 year old Fiat 500, who always make jokes about the unreliability, but hearing stuff like this makes me never want to upgrade to some of the newer cars. My car only needs about £200 of repairs every year.
Legit. My Astra is 16 years old and still going. Nothing is built to last anymore, you have next to zero chance of buying a car now that will see another decade nevermind further than that. It's the grand long con.

Reactions: 12
Don't buy an American car!

I have a 10 year old chevrolet spark. The aircon unit went which the fan belt was wrapped around. £1,200 for a part that they couldn't even get!!! I ended up finding a compatible part for a couple of £££ so at least the car could go.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I drive a real old landy which is worth alot more now than when I bought it! I'd be to scared to drive anything new, would be worried about scratches etc!
Not feeling well today so have given in and lit oil burner.

Reactions: 3
Bannatyne turns pool temps down from 29c to 28c, some are outraged.

I think it could go lower tbh, my gym has turned off the hottubs and the pool is so warm that quite often there's more people talking than swimming in the pool. But I'm a witch like that and can't stand people getting in the way in the pool while not swimming 😆

Haha glad it's not just me, I hate it when people do this and just bob about without actually swimming but they're in the way.

Reactions: 2

Yel

Haha glad it's not just me, I hate it when people do this and just bob about without actually swimming but they're in the way.
So annoying. I get they aren't there for swimming, but can they at least not get in the way of us that want to swim in a swimming pool. Often they have a huge amount of the pool to spash about in but keep getting in the way of the tiny part that I'm using to swim up and down in 🤬

Reactions: 1
Legit. My Astra is 16 years old and still going. Nothing is built to last anymore, you have next to zero chance of buying a car now that will see another decade nevermind further than that. It's the grand long con.
My Astra was 18 years old when it was murdered by a truck 😥. Still had his original battery 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 8
My Astra was 18 years old when it was murdered by a truck 😥. Still had his original battery 😢
It's always the trucks! What have they got against us Astras!? I was on my way to work this morning and a massive bleeping trucker pulled infront of me when it was my right of way and near flattened me, there was less than an inch between us. He's lucky I was in a rush or I would have got out and lamped him one. Or more likely, I'm lucky because he was the size of a double decker bus himself so I'm sure I would have been the one harmed :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My astra is 17 years old. Costs about £200 a year for the mot

Reactions: 2

Yep, I'm discontented with these prats. I note You Tube have shadow banned his video. Thought there was free speech in this country, obviously only for some people...

The mortgage rate is actually only a small amount to do with the government and nothing unique to the UK. It's raising similarly across the eurozone and the states. Although the states are a few months ahead.

View attachment 1701035
Yes and in France for instance, it's getting hard to have a mortgage from the bank apparently because of the new debt limit requirements, so mortgages are longer on average too.
But the difference is almost everybody has a fixed rate all along the loan, no surprises. You can still try to renegotiate though with your bank or another one.

Yep, I'm discontented with these prats. I note You Tube have shadow banned his video. Thought there was free speech in this country, obviously only for some people...
I also posted this video in the climate thread. How dare Neil look at whose funding these groups?

I also posted this video in the climate thread. How dare Neil look at whose funding these groups?
I thought it was one of the Getty's that was funding them. Rich people financing people to torment the general public causing damage which the taxpayer generally gets the bill for.
WTF was that word salad that girl was spouting and I don't mean the girl who wants to be an MP. She had a brain and talked sense!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.