Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is based on us stats which are further ahead in the cycle than the UK, but still pretty relevant:

So much tech stock is falling, although none quite as much as Facebook
Screenshot_20221029_083012.jpg

Reactions: 2
Husband uploaded latest meter read
Got gas and electric mixed up.
Added in now says we own octopus 🐙 £900!
Hes now entered it correctly please tell me it will update and correct 😀.
Hes like I bet loads of people make that mistake.
They keep writing to us to say current meter at end if natural life and we need to switch to smart meter.
They wanted up montly payment to over £300 we have adjusted to £ 270 and will review in jan.
Not had heating on much.

Car MOT seems be around £200 Mark so that's a relief.
But Bristol clean air zone being launched end of Nov and our car will cost £9 to enter so mad as all the hospitals and my child's school within the zone.
Yet can drive into Bath for free so tempted do Xmas shop there and maybe visit Bath hospital.
Housing market slowed down here still crazy money as so much housing is private landlords and students.

Food shopping frustrating.
Lilds availability still rubbish so annoying as some items are cheaper than aldi.
More price rises in aldi own brand ketchup 20p increase.
Olio been rubbish. Too good to go been rubbish lately.
Iceland and little morrisions had odd reductions.
Need to do another big shop before goes up again its just finding the time.
Want to do bigger aldi/ lilds / hb as next to one another.
Usual monthly tesco shop as we low cereal, squash and packed lunches items.
But wanted try asda and farmfoods.
No longer have same day off as husband due to childcare saving so having go evenings when we tired.

Reactions: 6
Aldis price rises are making them no better than anyone else these days. Everything goes up 10, 20 even 30p a time or so it seems.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
They keep writing to us to say current meter at end if natural life and we need to switch to smart meter.
They wanted up montly payment to over £300 we have adjusted to £ 270 and will review in jan.
Not had heating on much.

But Bristol clean air zone being launched end of Nov and our car will cost £9 to enter so mad as all the hospitals and my child's school within the zone.
Yet can drive into Bath for free so tempted do Xmas shop there and maybe visit Bath hospital.
Housing market slowed down here still crazy money as so much housing is private landlords and students.

Lilds availability still rubbish so annoying as some items are cheaper than aldi.
No longer have same day off as husband due to childcare saving so having go evenings when we tired.
We actually had a meter reader reverse our readings! Was tens of thousands out. There is no intelligence which stops and says oh the last electric readings were 75,000 - 75,500 while the gas was 2,000 - 2,020 so a gas readings of 76,000 and an electric reading of 2,040 perhaps the reader muddled them. Nope just a huge bill.

We took photos and gave them the correct readings.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I read the other day that smart meters can be converted remotely by energy companies into pre-payment meters if customers cancel their direct debits or are unable to pay bills. Really shocked by this. Is this common knowledge? Glad I've resisted the many times our energy suppier tried to get us to install a smart meter. I'd heard of so many cock-ups with meter readings, broken meters, etc, it just didn't seem worth it. If you have a smart meter and your supplier hikes up your dd amount ridiculously, best to ring them and state what you're willing to pay each month, rather than risk default on a dd.

Not had heating on much.

Mine just told me the same thing. It's bollox they just want you to get a smart meter. They made out my meter may be inaccurate because it's "at the end of its life". Well my readings are consistent with my usage, which I can't say the same for my mum's smart meter.

Smart meters are for the benefit of the company, not us. It's saves them money, not you.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I've placed my first ocado food order as you get £20 off if you spend £60
My shopping was £45 so I brought it up to £60 by adding on some meat for the freezer and some Christmas bits.
So I got £60 of shopping for £40, rather than the £45 I would have paid, and got some extra bits I now won't need to buy down the line

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I read the other day that smart meters can be converted remotely by energy companies into pre-payment meters if customers cancel their direct debits or are unable to pay bills. Really shocked by this. Is this common knowledge?
Yes and they're already doing it then they load the old debt so it deducts so much a week from the pre payment metre.

I've refused to have one all their reasons for having one are shady. They claim more accurate bills but I read mine several times a month. They claim to save you money but that's just being energy conscious which is about you not the kind of metre you have. I think its been pushed so its easier to get people on prepayment when they get into debt.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I've been on a key meter for over 30 years and I'm happy with it, to be honest. I've only once been 'cut off' and that was for about 10 hours till we managed to scrounge enough money together to get off the emergency.
I usually top my meter up once a week (haven't needed to this month thanks to the £66 voucher) and treat it as part of my weekly shop. No big bills or hefty DDs coming out of my bank account.
I just thought I'd put my experience across, as there's a lot of negative press about prepayment meters whereas some people might actually find them better.
Also, some food banks can arrange for topups as well, for people who need extra help.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've placed my first ocado food order as you get £20 off if you spend £60
My shopping was £45 so I brought it up to £60 by adding on some meat for the freezer and some Christmas bits.
So I got £60 of shopping for £40, rather than the £45 I would have paid, and got some extra bits I now won't need to buy down the line
I’ve had two of these offers they are great. With free delivery too.

Thought I'd best post this here to stop people wrecking their machines using vinegar.
I have used soda crystals for years in my machine. (My machine is 25 years old).

Reactions: 5
Thought I'd best post this here to stop people wrecking their machines using vinegar.
I have used soda crystals for years in my machine. (My machine is 25 years old).
Me too, hard water area. I did read once you can ise white wine vinegar instead of fabric softener but it's not somthing I've ever tried.

Reactions: 1
I've tried the white vinegar in a towel wash (supposedly gets them extra clean, & soft as not using fabric conditioner) , probably didn't use enough as was wary about damage to machine after reading article in Which?, it made no difference anyway!

Where do you get soda crystals? Are they sold under a brand name? Can't say I've ever seen them, even in B&M?

Reactions: 1
I've tried the white vinegar in a towel wash (supposedly gets them extra clean, & soft as not using fabric conditioner) , probably didn't use enough as was wary about damage to machine after reading article in Which?, it made no difference anyway!

Where do you get soda crystals? Are they sold under a brand name? Can't say I've ever seen them, even in B&M?
I've seen soda crystals in a bag in Home Bargains and B&M

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.