Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bannatyne turns pool temps down from 29c to 28c, some are outraged.

I think it could go lower tbh, my gym has turned off the hottubs and the pool is so warm that quite often there's more people talking than swimming in the pool. But I'm a witch like that and can't stand people getting in the way in the pool while not swimming 😆

1 degree. FFS people need bigger priorities.

Reactions: 11
Just cancelled my phone contract with Vodafone as my contract was up and got a cheap sim only deal with tesco for £9 a month.

Over the last 2 years Vodafone raised the price of my contract 3 times to an eyewatering £75 a month so I am very glad to see the back of it.

Took me 45 mins on the phone of refusing "offers" they could give me on an upgrade for them to eventually just cancel the damn contract 🙄 all of the "offers" were for a new phone and not one of them were under £50 a month. Not going to do it when there is nothing wrong with my phone and I can get all the same amount of data for under a tenner a month 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am also on pay as you go with Tesco no data. I rarely even top up £10 a year as all calls have have always been over on Whatsapp or Skype.

32k is house deposit money!
32k is a house deposit but it depends on the area tbh; you could have a deposit but still not pass affordability tests etc. not saying that’s necessarily the case in this situation but unless you’re earning 70k a year you can’t get a £320,000 house on a 32k deposit

Reactions: 3

I think it could go lower tbh, my gym has turned off the hottubs and the pool is so warm that quite often there's more people talking than swimming in the pool. But I'm a witch like that and can't stand people getting in the way in the pool while not swimming 😆

I do lane swimming (or did pre covid), the cooler the better as far as I'm concerned. I can see that people who just splash around or take their young kids might not be happy with that though.

Reactions: 1
I get 15gb with Lebara for £10

Fearne cotton advertising Tesco mobile constantly would put me off ever using them!

I do lane swimming (or did pre covid), the cooler the better as far as I'm concerned. I can see that people who just splash around or take their young kids might not be happy with that though.
Long as they're moving they'll be fine with it a degree or two lower!

Doing my usual Rightmove stalks whilst cooking dinner, haven’t done this for a few weeks, and seeing far more discounted property than usual? Obvs this is one woman looking up the 1 mile radius of like 5 London postcodes of emotional significance lol but interesting 👀

Reactions: 4
Doing my usual Rightmove stalks whilst cooking dinner, haven’t done this for a few weeks, and seeing far more discounted property than usual? Obvs this is one woman looking up the 1 mile radius of like 5 London postcodes of emotional significance lol but interesting 👀
I’m in Surrey and have noticed the exact same thing

Houses in my area usually sell in a week, but I’ve noticed some on the market since August - even after being reduced

Reactions: 4
I get unlimted texts, calls and 10GB data with Tesco for £9.
Same as what I've just got 😊 such a relief to be out of that terrible Vodafone contract paying so much money every month!!

I look on rightmove everyday in the area we want to buy a bigger property in, 6 months ago 3 beds were on the market for a day and they were sold at asking price, now they are sitting for ages and being reduced in price a few times too. Wondering if the market is finally slowing down.

I'll be keeping an eye on it as it could be our chance to buy a bigger house finally

Reactions: 8
Yeah the markets slowed here ( Greater Manchester area). Houses are too expensive for FIrst time buyers and I think a little overpriced. We are now seeing reductions and houses on the market much longer than the few days and then sold a few months back.

Reactions: 7
Same as what I've just got 😊 such a relief to be out of that terrible Vodafone contract paying so much money every month!!

I look on rightmove everyday in the area we want to buy a bigger property in, 6 months ago 3 beds were on the market for a day and they were sold at asking price, now they are sitting for ages and being reduced in price a few times too. Wondering if the market is finally slowing down.

I'll be keeping an eye on it as it could be our chance to buy a bigger house finally
Yep same the areas/houses I was looking at were 3/4 beds too! I can only speak for the borough I sold in but yep same day multiple offers, my neighbour’s house never even got listed to Rightmove during the stamp duty holiday madness they were selling so quickly! This was inevitable and in line with everything going on, but still weird seeing it actually happen! 🤯

Has anyone noticed an uptick or downturn in building work out of interest? I don’t live near anyone else anymore so can’t tell, but when we were in London every day I’d walk past a new loft / rear / wraparound extension, ppl gutting old houses etc etc, some ppl were even adding houses onto their houses 😳 I wonder if that’s all calming down now too?

Yep same the areas/houses I was looking at were 3/4 beds too! I can only speak for the borough I sold in but yep same day multiple offers, my neighbour’s house never even got listed to Rightmove during the stamp duty holiday madness they were selling so quickly! This was inevitable and in line with everything going on, but still weird seeing it actually happen! 🤯

Has anyone noticed an uptick or downturn in building work out of interest? I don’t live near anyone else anymore so can’t tell, but when we were in London every day I’d walk past a new loft / rear / wraparound extension, ppl gutting old houses etc etc, some ppl were even adding houses onto their houses 😳 I wonder if that’s all calming down now too?

I was watching this tonight (he was recommended to me to "educate" myself on what's going on in the world). He forecast a housing crash for 2023 two years ago and in this video he mentions mortgage business has fallen off a cliff recently. Ignore them acting stupid at the beginning - he is good at what he does.

My local pools been dropped to 27.5. So 1 dropped one degree. Fine if your lane swimming (after the initial freezing 2 lengths) but honestly it's freezing if you want to take the kids for a quick play 🥶

Also saves massively on the chemicals too (I used to be a pool plant technician in my uni days🤣)

Fair bit going on near me. Mainly new roofs as the housing stock is mostly victorian. Fair bit being done on commercial property too.

I was watching this tonight (he was recommended to me to "educate" myself on what's going on in the world). He forecast a housing crash for 2023 two years ago and in this video he mentions mortgage business has fallen off a cliff recently. Ignore them acting stupid at the beginning - he is good at what he does.
I've watched a few videos from him before and tbh, he gives me the ick. Comes across way too smug when he forecasts the doom and gloom, and he has a habit of dropping one train of thought and jumping on to another so his videos feel really messy to me.

Fair bit going on near me. Mainly new roofs as the housing stock is mostly victorian. Fair bit being done on commercial property too.

I've watched a few videos from him before and tbh, he gives me the ick. Comes across way too smug when he forecasts the doom and gloom, and he has a habit of dropping one train of thought and jumping on to another so his videos feel really messy to me.
I don't understand the stock market and wouldn't know how to start to get some gold and silver so I can't comment but investors seem to like him hence why I was told to watch him.
He sounded a bit over the top to me but I suppose he is covering the world and some places will be worse than others.
Will have to see if there is a run on the banks in the UK.

I don't understand the stock market and wouldn't know how to start to get some gold and silver so I can't comment but investors seem to like him hence why I was told to watch him.
He sounded a bit over the top to me but I suppose he is covering the world and some places will be worse than others.
Will have to see if there is a run on the banks in the UK.
For buying gold and silver there’s bullion by post. Delivery to you free of charge. Silver coins you can buy from £33.

Royal mint- they do charge a premium.

If you’re near wembely on ealing road they have gold shops like PBL and Shyam jewelry.

For stocks and shares : I started with learning the basics. I liked the channel the humble penny and he is a certified accountant on youtube. The compound investor and nicole at the frugal cottage.

Mike maloney also has a series on silver and gold.

Also wall street silver is another group you could join on reddit. They have their own channel on youtube.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.