Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t get over the constant price increases that seem like they are going up week on week. I bought toilet roll yesterday and it was over £10. Sure it lasts ages but I’m sure last time I bought it, it was £7.

ETA I know toilet roll isn’t food but I was thinking of the grocery bill😆
I totally miss read that and thought you said sausage roll ... had visions of a huge sausage roll 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
In case anyone is interested my household is using about £4 odd electricity a day and about £2 on gas these days

Reactions: 2
My youngest shared my bed til they were 4.5 YEARS old. 🙈 had their own room. Was a waste of space.
Regaurding the extra bedroom we also have a nightmare 3 year old in our bed 90% of the night. Would have been cheaper to invest in a bigger bed than buy a new bloody house 🤦‍♀️

In case anyone is interested my household is using about £4 odd electricity a day and about £2 on gas these days
Mines the same but £3 on gas. God knows what we would be paying if we didn't have solar pannels.

I was talking to Mr Biscuits about the ASDA Rewards app this morning and thought I'd update here. For context, we recently switched from Sainsbury's to ASDA (both online shopping). I don't deliberately go out of my way to buy star products unless it's a similar price to what we would buy anyway. One habit I've noticed is I will try to buy more fresh fruit and veg (rather than frozen or tinned) as that's one of the missions on the app. At the moment I have almost £20 in rewards after switching to ASDA a month ago. It's not bad and a nice cushion to put towards Christmas food shopping as we tend to host on the Day. ASDA is also working out £20-30pw cheaper than it was for Sainsbury's so I don't see myself swapping back anytime soon.

We don’t shop there often as our nearest store is a car ride away. We still earned £6.51 from our random trips.

I’m challenging myself this week to spend £30 only on food for the two of us, for the week, not using stock cupboard stuff except herbs, spices, flour & oil. Doing some batch cooking and baking today for hearty soups, a chunky chilli and stodgy puds to stick to our ribs. The overnight slow cooker porridge mentioned here a while ago is a revelation - even half milk/half water comes out beautifully creamy and we’re having that with the stewed apples I made from neighbourly donations. Today I almost bought just 2 fruit scones as a Sunday treat tomorrow at our nice local bakery. £2.40!!! I’ve just made a dozen for £1.80. Treats all week…..

Reactions: 6
So I’m generally a Tesco only shopper and tend to stick to own label but looking to switch to Lidl or Aldi because the price increase week on week is just becoming a joke. Which do people use / prefer out of the two and why?

So I’m generally a Tesco only shopper and tend to stick to own label but looking to switch to Lidl or Aldi because the price increase week on week is just becoming a joke. Which do people use / prefer out of the two and why?
I alternate between Tesco and Asda delivery, am actually finding Asda more expensive and so many subs too!
Tesco prices have risen alot, but there seems to be more offers.
Out of Aldi or Lidl, I've always preferred Lidl.

I use lidl but only because it's easier to get to. I've heard their app is rubbish though

Reactions: 1
I find Lidl the cheap of the two, not by much, but my local ALDI stock more copies of well known brands so I lean towards there more. However, ALDI special buys are my weakness, LIDL I don't bother to look

I find Lidl the cheap of the two, not by much, but my local ALDI stock more copies of well known brands so I lean towards there more. However, ALDI special buys are my weakness, LIDL I don't bother to look
I prefer Aldi but have a new Lidl on my doorstep and I take notice of the Tattle recommended dupes in Lidl - (Way to Go).
I have found the odd unusual things such as a wooden stick with silicone hedgehoggy looking thing on the end which is great at washing up time. Better than them manky influencer recommended sponges.
I also like Lidl's Magnum mini dupes and my family get them now after having them at my house. Oh! and I like their cheap toilet roll but it's usually sold out.
Sounds like I'm coming over to the Lidl side. ,🤭

Lidl is cheaper but I personally prefer Asda. However it really depends what you buy. I mostly buy frozen veg and Lidl doesn’t have a good selection and never has any in stock. I also can’t get everything I buy in Lidl. Lidl is usually cheaper for fresh veg and definitely cheaper for tins.

I actually prefer Sainsburys to Asda and Tesco’s , their own brands are pretty decent too.

Reactions: 11
I liked Aldi but found it was a false economy for me as firstly i buy a lot more because “it’s so cheap” is in my mind and secondly the meat and some fruits do go bad a lot quicker, in my experience anyway. I would spend over £80 a week. I now shop in M&S using mostly their remarksable range and have been spending £35-£50 a week on food shopping for me and my son, that’s including his packed lunches and some cleaning products. I also tend to get money off on the sparks card, and they are also good for reduced items. For washing powder and toilet rolls I buy the big packs from iceland for between £8 and £10 and they last me several months.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Second this and the discounts if use the app whilst shopping are decent too.
I’ve switched to a lot of their own brands and they’re just as good if not better than the branded stuff, their fruit and veg have really come down in price too always a plus 👍🏻

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.