Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are they bleeping mad talking about blackouts? It’s 2022 and they’ve racked our bills up to extortionate amounts as it is. Do they not think it’s bad enough without scaremongering even more!?

Reactions: 28
Oh crap, defo time to dig out the candles, torches and batteries... 😬
I've made contingency plans for no electric/gas but when I ask people if they are doing anything they just look at me blank and say they've just switched the boiler on as they're cold. Doh!! 🤷🤦

Reactions: 9
I've made contingency plans for no electric/gas but when I ask people if they are doing anything they just look at me blank and say they've just switched the boiler on as they're cold. Doh!! 🤷🤦
can I ask what you’ve done? I’ve got a torch and some dry food but unsure of what else to do

Reactions: 1
can I ask what you’ve done? I’ve got a torch and some dry food but unsure of what else to do
I'm eating up meat/fish in my freezer so if it defrosts I can just switch it back on again without risking food poisoning. Also buying more tinned and dried food. Used an old Ferrer Rocher plastic box in my kitchen odds and sods drawer to organise batteries/candles/matches. Have bought a zip up hoodie Sherpa fleece lined blanket I can wear. Thick socks and computer gloves so I can type. Fleece or fur lined leggings. Basically taking on suggestions.
Have actually found I'm warmer than I would be with the central heating on at the normal recommended 21 degrees.

Reactions: 10
For anyone who needs to buy something on Amazon, I was buying draft excluders and it had an option to add another card to the account and get a promotional £5. Handy if you’re buying something anyway

Reactions: 3
Also the same in my local Sainsbury's. Before they had just one guy on the monitor. The now have two people there and one extra person at the self service. Aldi has just one huge man.

The M&S security guy throughout the summer was someone who looked like a sixth former. Poundland has the most intimidating security guard out of all of them and I've just felt uncomfortable walking in even though I'm not stealing anything.
This! I felt like this in every store I visited today.

Reactions: 3
Between 4 and 9pm, so we get home from school and work and do what for dinner..showers?? What a bleak existence! Especially as it’s pretty much dark just after 4 in winter. Fantastic.

I have got lights that we can hang up and they do pretty much light the whole room. Did think about getting a camping stove so I can heat up something for my son to eat before bed, but unsure about the safety of keeping little gas canisters??

Attachments

Reactions: 8
I'm eating up meat/fish in my freezer so if it defrosts I can just switch it back on again without risking food poisoning. Also buying more tinned and dried food. Used an old Ferrer Rocher plastic box in my kitchen odds and sods drawer to organise batteries/candles/matches. Have bought a zip up hoodie Sherpa fleece lined blanket I can wear. Thick socks and computer gloves so I can type. Fleece or fur lined leggings. Basically taking on suggestions.
Have actually found I'm warmer than I would be with the central heating on at the normal recommended 21 degrees.
If we do get blackouts i'd assume it wont be long enough to ruin food in Freezer/Fridge, just got to keep the doors shut.
I'm trying to find my charger for portable dvd player So can still watch a dvd if it happens. And I dont know about other streaming sites but Amazon Prime you can download to tablets I believe( or you used to)

Reactions: 7
Blackouts? The UK is beginning to sound like a third world country, I really feel for you all. I'm glad I moved away years ago.

Reactions: 19
If we do get blackouts i'd assume it wont be long enough to ruin food in Freezer/Fridge, just got to keep the doors shut.
I'm trying to find my charger for portable dvd player So can still watch a dvd if it happens. And I dont know about other streaming sites but Amazon Prime you can download to tablets I believe( or you used to)
Prime, Netflix, & Disney plus are all available on tablet

Prime, Netflix, & Disney plus are all available on tablet
Thank you I dont subscribe to the others so wasn't sure. But downloading a film/tv shows will be good in a blackout.
As i'm assuming it'll be too dark for reading/crafts

Reactions: 4
This! I felt like this in every store I visited today.
I ran out of the store recently with a microwave that a kind soul carried for me and set all the alarms off. I wasn't going to stop him as we ran for the car as microwaves are heavy, but all the while I was expecting to be rugby tackled.
I mustn't look like a thief I suppose. 😁

I'm just going to treat it like an adventure as parents did in the seventies.Otherwise it will be miserable.
Can't be worse than being in a swaying high rise in a foreign country during a hurricane, and someone waking you up in the pitch dark putting their hands on your face - cue near heart attack and hearing a hysterical person in the pitch black. 🥴

Anyone know when these blackouts are supposed to start happening?
Maybe around Xmas when people are home more?

Last edited:
My step dad works offshore in oil and gas (he actually works on decommissioning North Sea rigs) and he says those in the industry have seen this coming for years.

Have you tried google sheets?
Yes, tried google sheets, but having problems formatting sometimes. Maybe I just need to try harder.

Yel

Anyone know when these blackouts are supposed to start happening?
It's highly unlikely they'll ever happen.

It's the worst case of a worst-case scenario.

Might happen if there's a long cold snap and there's no wind and there's an issue with importing gas and there's an issue with importing electricity and heavy industrial users have already stopped. Even then it's not like it would go on for long.

It's been a possibility most winters for a long time, but this time it's a bit more possible.

Most of Europe faces shortages during peak times.

Reactions: 12
Interesting about the Morrisons prices as I had an email from them for £15 off a £60 shop so decided to go with them for my online shop this week. I normally use Tesco, with an odd Asda too. Sainsbury's is my nearest and I go there for top ups in person, rarely use Lidl or Aldi. Morrisons are my furthest away so it's not somewhere I go that often but have found their click and collect decent in the past.

The prices were almost ridiculous on many things, stuff I buy weekly was 10/20p more than at Tesco. We're away on holiday next Friday (UK self catering) so I was putting quite a few bits in to take with us and even with the money off it was crazy. I ended up cancelling it and doing an Asda click and collect instead. It was still expensive but not as extreme....although I did notice that they've put their deal on multipack crisps up to £4.25 for 3, a few weeks ago it was £3.75 and before that I'm sure it was £3.25 which is a huge increase and often the big 30 pack bags are out of stock. Their sliced cheese is now £2.50 a pack when it used to be £1.80 so much to my children's disgust we are now back to buying the big blocks 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It's highly unlikely they'll ever happen.

It's the worst case of a worst-case scenario.

Might happen if there's a long cold snap and there's no wind and there's an issue with importing gas and there's an issue with importing electricity and heavy industrial users have already stopped. Even then it's not like it would go on for long.

It's been a possibility most winters for a long time, but this time it's a bit more possible.

Most of Europe faces shortages during peak times.
This. The news is nothing more than sensationalism scaremongering journalism.
They are basically saying IF it runs out there will be power cuts. I’m sure that has been written in the contingency planning for years. Journalists have just picked up and run with it.

This. The news is nothing more than sensationalism scaremongering journalism.
They are basically saying IF it runs out there will be power cuts. I’m sure that has been written in the contingency planning for years. Journalists have just picked up and run with it.
Simple politics posted this yesterday

Basically nothing else in the news and it gets them the clicks.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.