Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I buy the Asda basic toilet roll, think it’s £1.90 a pack, lasts ages & good quality too, bought other bits as well, I don’t care about the bright yellow packaging, other people don’t seem fussed either, trollies are full of it at the checkout.

Reactions: 3
I think as adults we don't care about value packaging, but kids do. It's the same with branded clothes etc.
However you do what you gotta do to ensure your family is fed. I remember as a child being mortified my mum shopped in lidl but now I love lidl.

I am sick of everyone posting on social media the stuff they've bought from the value range at asda. The hype is weird IMO 🤨

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think as adults we don't care about value packaging, but kids do. It's the same with branded clothes etc.
However you do what you gotta do to ensure your family is fed. I remember as a child being mortified my mum shopped in lidl but now I love lidl.

I am sick of everyone posting on social media the stuff they've bought from the value range at asda. The hype is weird IMO 🤨
If that's the case then that's why there's no cheap beans :cautious:

Reading the 'Designer Items' thread I dont think everybody is worried about paying their bills. The Ladies there positively encourage each other to spend £1000s on a new bag/watch etc. I dont begrudge them I just wish it was me.

Reactions: 9
Unfortunately I think there has been stigma with value brands until the asda one made the news and now all the hype.
A friend had negative comments from other shoppers a year or so ago for buying value stuff for the food bank (when they give out lists around Christmas), but she was able to help more families by doing so.

Reactions: 4
I remember when I was at Uni back in 2011 there was an Asda in the town I lived in and every week I would buy stuff from the old Asda Smart price range as this was so much cheaper than branded versions. I never cared if others looked down on own brand at the time as I was happy to be saving some money.

Reactions: 5
Unfortunately I think there has been stigma with value brands until the asda one made the news and now all the hype.
A friend had negative comments from other shoppers a year or so ago for buying value stuff for the food bank (when they give out lists around Christmas), but she was able to help more families by doing so.
I don’t always buy branded items for the food bank either unless it’s on sale. Usually it tends to be Sainsbury’s own brand or 100% from Aldi. Don’t think it really matters personally either.

Reactions: 6
If you shop in Asda a lot, definately definately get the Asda rewards app, there’s lots of offers on and the cash pot builds up quickly! I have £23 in it and have just been doing my normal shop!
Surprised how some customers have been so dismissive of it as just another loyalty scheme! It’s free money peeps😜

I don’t always buy branded items for the food bank either unless it’s on sale. Usually it tends to be Sainsbury’s own brand or 100% from Aldi. Don’t think it really matters personally either.
No it doesn’t matter but shows the stigma around value stuff (hopefully less since the asda hype). I guess on this thread we are more mindful of prices so less likely to judge?

Reactions: 2
If you shop in Asda a lot, definately definately get the Asda rewards app, there’s lots of offers on and the cash pot builds up quickly! I have £23 in it and have just been doing my normal shop!
Surprised how some customers have been so dismissive of it as just another loyalty scheme! It’s free money peeps😜
Really? I thought you only had cash back if you bought certain things (like a tub of celebrations etc) so I was scared of wasting money.

they’ve started rationing the essentials range in my local Asda you can only buy two of each item

Reading the 'Designer Items' thread I dont think everybody is worried about paying their bills. The Ladies there positively encourage each other to spend £1000s on a new bag/watch etc. I dont begrudge them I just wish it was me.
This is meant nicely but I really wouldn’t believe everything I read on the internet my love.

Its all them little price jumps in the food shop thats adding up. For example Iceland's Pepsi Max offer has gone from 4 for £30 to 2 for £15.50

Just looking at 1 of our shops from March, a 4pk of soup has gone up £1, Elmlea has gone up 35p, tiramisu 45p( normal price its on offer though for £1) kidney beans in chili sauce 15p, activia yoghurts 20p, broccoli 30p, then lots of 10p's eggs, flour, milkshake, tomato puree etc
So on just 10 products thats a extra £5.40 as some we buy more than 1.

A few people on here have flora, it's on offer £1.75 at sainsburys for a small tub

Really? I thought you only had cash back if you bought certain things (like a tub of celebrations etc) so I was scared of wasting money.

they’ve started rationing the essentials range in my local Asda you can only buy two of each item
Nope, at the mo there’s 4 milestones to complete by end September. 3 will get you £1.50 once youve spent £100the 4th £5 for spending £100 so that’s nearly £10 by spending £400. Do able if you mostly shop there in the 6 weeks!
plus there are missions,new ones added every week. So spending on fruit and veg, there was 10% off George last week.
Theres a lot more to it than just the star products! I haven’t even looked at them, I’m not going to buy something just to get the cashpot bit! It’s mostly brands which I rarely buy!

• Heart

No you build up every time you shop but you get extra when you buy promotional items. I’ve only had it a little over a month and I’ve already got £6 - that’s from my £10-£20 a week shop
Eta: and the occasional top up.

The asda rewards app is quite clever in that people want to get the 'extra free money' by completing the "missions" and therefore spending more than they probably would have done anyway 😅

To answer why Asda are restricting essential products to three per customer, it's to prevent caterers buying the whole stock as they're cheaper than cash and carry. Three per customer is fair enough in an ordinary supermarket, in my opinion. Supermarkets are really designed to serve many customers buying a trolleyful of shopping, not bulk buyimg.

Reactions: 17
To answer why Asda are restricting essential products to three per customer, it's to prevent caterers buying the whole stock as they're cheaper than cash and carry. Three per customer is fair enough in an ordinary supermarket, in my opinion. Supermarkets are really designed to serve many customers buying a trolleyful of shopping, not bulk buyimg.
Makes it harder on people with bigger familys though, as they then can't do their full shop unless they buy the more expensive products

Reactions: 2
I have been behind someone in Asda before who was buying 100 individual lettuces. He said he had spoken to the manager, but the woman at the checkout wasn’t having it at first, but let him in the end.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.