Depher - James Anderson

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
According to the update they renewed their commitment to the project this time last year. Maybe they have stepped away this year? Hence the decision not to continue with this and go back to basics, as James is saying.

Reactions: 4
Anyone see the “taking a break so I don’t commit suicide” tweet coming? Followed by a return 24 hours later because apparently a few kiss arse retweets are enough to get rid of suicidal ideation. Not being flippant on the subject at all here but boils my piss when people weaponise mental health and suicide to try and get out of things.

So he he closed Depher yet still takes direct debits? Also; what happened to the money left in Depher? There must be at least 1p left in the accounts so where has it gone? Why is he up at 4.30 am writing this? Or is his social media manager now on 24 hour call? I really hope people start taking note of all this because it’s bleeping scandalous

The tent. So much to say. So originally this was posted as a “I can’t help this poor man because of the trolls” which as someone pointed out - why didn’t he help as a private citizen? Because he can’t plus he would never use his own money.

On the most basic level and this is not said with malice however this is meant to be a cic that provides free plumping - what was he planning on doing for this person, if they do indeed exist? My point is, it just doesn’t make sense does it? You are asking people to sent money for pluming services yet saying trolls are stopping you from helping someone who doesn’t have plumbing? Again, not
Said to be horrible but pointing out the obviously. This is what James is good at - Anyone even asks a question let alone makes a reasonable point and they get told they are horrible and want vulnerable people dead.

What is the exact separation between the CIC and his private business? Are people just funding his business or paying twice for the same work?

I agree with people above, Mrs Chan is damage control plus a very stereotypical name. As we know he doesn’t care about anonymity, I doubt it’s an alias.

He opens himself up to all these questions with his dodgy behaviour and practices, if you have nothing to hide why react so aggressively all the time? Any change things that people point out if you really believe you were right? He’s an absolute chancer
He really isn't smart enough to deal with all of this. It feels like one of those kids puzzles made of moving tiles, where you move one and then realise something else is out of place, and the more you move to try and fix it, the worse the picture gets. Everything he's doing is causing more problems and questions, not solving them.
He urgently needs to sit down with a lawyer and an accountant who can explain to him how to unravel this mess and how to do things right. He needs to define his remit and stick to it. And he needs to stop posting on social media, except to say something like "We're trying our best to help vulnerable people in need - and we know from all your support that you care about this deeply - but we need to do it in the right way so that we can help the most people in the most effective way with their plumbing and heating. We have made some hasty decisions lately that have caused confusion, so I'm seeking professional advice about how best to straighten everything out so we can be transparent and fair about how we work and where your donations are going."

( all of this assumes he is acting in good faith and he's not Britain's dodgiest, rather than kindest, plumber....)

Reactions: 22
According to the update they renewed their commitment to the project this time last year. Maybe they have stepped away this year? Hence the decision not to continue with this and go back to basics, as James is saying.
It's all so messy, unregulated and chaotic.
I've worked for a few charities - one for adults with a learning disability and others for asylum seekers (though I know he is not a charity) and it is drummed into you the importance of understanding the remit of the organisation.
Obviously you want to help everyone but you can't for any number of reasons. The contract, the funders etc all expect you to stay in your lane. At most you can signpost or refer to other organisations.
James' approach is so uncoordinated it is bizarre and raises multiple red flags. Bionic arms? Funerals? Buying groceries for utterly random people in supermarkets? People didn't donate for him to decide on a whim what to do with their money. Why can't he grasp this? Are old people with broken boilers not 'sexy' enough for him?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
On the testimonial section of the new website

Him or Babs have probably written this, what a joke but saying that probably not because if you look at babs facebook she’s obviously a racist and a pro Brexit ( send them back type)

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Here’s the thing. He’s either DEPHER or he’s CPH. If he’s CPH, then he can’t be claiming he’s had X amount of donations from NE Foundation. They didn’t give to CPH and their accounts won’t show that they did, potentially leaving them open to scrutiny by the charity commission.

CPH CIC was created at the start of the year. It’s misleading to say he’s helped all of those 39 DV victims in that time, if they were actually supported when he was operating as DEPHER. and in any event, what’s the chances of all those women needed gas central heating fixed??

he’s playing a very dangerous game here, meaning more organisations are likely to step away. They’re accountable to the people who donate to them, and they’re regulated by the charity commission, so even if he thinks he can be free and easy with his pledges, they can’t.

Looking at what they say they gave money for, I don’t think it’s always expressly clear it was for heating or plumbing.

as I’ve said before:
He isn’t a foodbank
Isn’t a charity shop
Isn’t there to pay off people’s debt
Isn’t there to lend people money
He’s a plumber.

It might be ok for Hugh Grant to drop a 20k donation in and not care what it was spent on, but if you’re paying a tenner a month for some old biddy to have their heating fixed, how is it fair for him to spend that money on anything other than that? He has no mandate to use that money on the guy in the tent, or even an electric bill for someone in arrears. He certainly has no mandate to be giving money to SarahJayJay.
if he wants to do it, let him take it from his own pocket. When you take public money for a specific purpose or objective it’s absolutely imperative that the money is used exactly as it was supposed to.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Him or Babs have probably written this, what a joke but saying that probably not because if you look at babs facebook she’s obviously a racist and a pro Brexit ( send them back type)
Oh one of them has written this. And I know this is meant to be a good thing to have done - but why the emphasis on Asian women fleeing domestic violence? Leaning into a stereotype about Asian men.

Im calling BS on this one. He hasn’t “saved the lives of 39 Asian women” by fitting a boiler. This wouldn’t then mean 140 letters of nomination for an OBE.
---
This will hopefully gain Depher/Now CPHs a lot more support, and it will also reduce debt in families by at least 25% per year, reducing the anxiety, depression, suicidal rate and home re possessions, something that we know is needed.

Flipping heck, those are quite some targets to meet. How’s he monitoring this? How’s he going to report this? What outcome measures is he using?
how does fitting a boiler do all these things?

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Just didn’t happen though did it 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Flipping heck, those are quite some targets to meet. How’s he monitoring this? How’s he going to report this? What outcome measures is he using?
how does fitting a boiler do all these things?
i've reported the GFM to the platform on the basis of this claim and others. He can't just make claims without research or data to back it up. there's nothing to say how he's clearing debt (or why) and no sources or papers which back up his claims on suicide rates. it's bleeping irresponsible and dangerous and i urge you to report him.

Reactions: 18
this is dodgy as duck. so James is announcing that all their Depher fundraising has been closed down, as they are no longer Depher and have set up a different fundraising page under the company's new name - yet when someone replies saying they have a direct debit set up to donate to Depher and asks if they should cancel it, James jumps in and tells them that it's totally fine and to leave it as is, continue to donate to Depher - the Company he has just stayed doesn't exist thus can no longer be donated to. so the money donated via that direct debit is going where James? other than directly into your own pocket. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 2699559

View attachment 2699560
The wording here reminds me of Derek Zoolander's 'centre for kids who can't read good'

Screenshot_20240119_095336_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Someone posted upthread about not understanding why people don't do equity release etc. to fix their boilers - go onto Rightmove and look at houses for sale in Burnley, sorting from lowest-price first, and the need for someone to do what Depher was set up to do is clear. A lot of poorly-maintained homes, lived in by people who can't afford to maintain them, and which have a resale value that will barely cover rent for two years. If you grew up in or know the area, you understand what they say they are trying to do, but...

well, I'm just thinking about those Britain First memes that show freezing pensioners huddled around a gas fire with 'share if you agree', the implication being that this wouldn't happen if we didn't give money to refugees etc. Again, also catnip for people in that area who have been taught to blame their issues not on crappy government and appalling landlords but on immigrants and young people on benefits. The pivot towards helping sick children, well, call me a cynic but that's another group that people think of as experiencing blameless suffering. Refugees should just go back home. Young people struggling in mouldy rented houses should just work harder or move somewhere cheaper or not have flat-screen TVs. Kids that can't afford to eat should have had parents who kept their legs closed and got jobs. Homeless people will just spend the money on drink or drugs, and they should get a job too. Give your money to the guy who's stopping grannies freezing purely out of the goodness of his heart.

It'll be donkeys next.

Reactions: 21
doubt it. there's no suggestion of who the asian women were partnered with, so i think this is a bit of a stretch.
It's really not for east Lancs, any local newspaper comment section will tell you exactly what stereotypes still thrive about Asian men.

Reactions: 11
It's really not for east Lancs, any local newspaper comment section will tell you exactly what stereotypes still thrive about Asian men.
Also if 39 south Asian women were freed from domestic abuse (at once) by him it would be all over the papers. He is full of tit

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.