Deliciously Ella - Ella Mills Woodward and Plants By DE

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even having 20 minutes of yoga and meditation is a damn luxury to most mums. I know I grab every second of sleep I can before my 17 month old wakes. And I just work a measly 42 hours a week, and get this, am not even studying and running a business at the same time.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The reason I find the whole “we work ourselves into the ground” and “mum guilt” posts weird is that I feel they go against the brand.

The whole point of DE as a brand is apparently “wellness”, but it can’t really be claimed to be wellness if you’re working yourself into an early grave and not making time for the important things for you.

It would make alot more sense for Ella to say she does all these things (yoga, degree etc) as an act of self care and because she’s more than just a Mum, as that fits the brand a lot more. You’re welcome for the tip Ella if you do read here!

Reactions: 15
I interpreted it as a justification for the high prices (both restaurant and supermarket products).

If you go slow but charge ten pounds for a carrot you open yourself up to a lot more criticism as if you pretend that the money is hard earned.

I actually don't think they work that much. I believe that they have plenty of advisors and help.

Reactions: 10
Three plant based foods… in a chocolate bar? This has to go against advertising standards surely? The implication is that it’s 3 of your 5 a day when it absolutely isn’t.
B186D033-3129-44FE-AC70-88869F30B8D4.png

Three plant based foods… in a chocolate bar? This has to go against advertising standards surely? The implication is that it’s 3 of your 5 a day when it absolutely isn’t. View attachment 817450
Referring to the almonds, hazelnuts and cashews I imagine.

I agree that it's misleading. Since it's vegan it's technically all plant based by the universally accepted definition. Also, as far as chocolate goesI would say it's a pretty "healthy"one, judging by the ingredients, so it should carry itself rather than rely on misleading claims.

Reactions: 1
Wouldn't the whole chocolate bar be plant based if it is vegan?
but isn't it the implication that it is 2 of your 5 a day which is the issue?
Slightly OT but either way I am sick of all of these plant based/ "healthy" products advertising as if somehow using honey/coconut sugar etc are better than white sugar, sugar is sugar in terms of how your body reacts

Reactions: 5
I fail to see how it implies that it is 3 of your 5 a day? The advice isn't that you eat 5 plant-based foods per day (which would include foods such as sugar, cocoa, oil, rice, and pasta among others), it is that you eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables specifically. This label is referring to the recommendation of eating 30+ different types of plant based foods a week for a healthy gut. Although I can't speak for the validity of science behind this recommendation.

Reactions: 2
I fail to see how it implies that it is 3 of your 5 a day? The advice isn't that you eat 5 plant-based foods per day (which would include foods such as sugar, cocoa, oil, rice, and pasta among others), it is that you eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables specifically. This label is referring to the recommendation of eating 30+ different types of plant based foods a week for a healthy gut. Although I can't speak for the validity of science behind this recommendation.
The ASA does tend to be quite hard on this, like you can’t claim an alcoholic drink is low calorie.

You kinda have to think “if I glanced at this what would it imply”

The ASA does tend to be quite hard on this, like you can’t claim an alcoholic drink is low calorie.
Yes, but that is because alcohol contains a lot of kcal per gram / ml and you can only make very restricted nutritional claims related to alcohol. Anyway, to me, the label on the chocolate does not in any way imply that a portion of it contains 3 servings of fruit or vegetables a day as it does not mention either of those things. But "implication" is open to interpretation by definition 🤷‍♀️

If someone eats a bar of chocolate hoping to achieve their 5 a day I'd say they fully deserve it, but that's a different topic :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
It’s doesn’t say that anywhere. As a layman consumer you would glance at that and think it means 3 of your 5 a day. I had no idea about the 30plants thing 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s intentionally misleading to make you think it’s healthy when it isn’t. It’s healthier than dairy milk, but you wouldn’t expect to see “3 plant based foods” on the back of a fruit and nut bar would you…

Reactions: 4
Let’s be honest - who in their right mind would think a chocolate bar contains 3 servings of fruit and vegetables? :ROFLMAO:

I agree it’s misleading to label things as healthier alternatives when they are not - coconut sugar is not any healthier than regular sugar. 👍

P.S. Perhaps I am just detached from how clueless an average shopper is 🙄

Yes, but that is because alcohol contains a lot of kcal per gram / ml and you can only make very restricted nutritional claims related to alcohol. Anyway, to me, the label on the chocolate does not in any way imply that a portion of it contains 3 servings of fruit or vegetables a day as it does not mention either of those things. But "implication" is open to interpretation by definition 🤷‍♀️

If someone eats a bar of chocolate hoping to achieve their 5 a day I'd say they fully deserve it, but that's a different topic :ROFLMAO:
That was just a cursory example...

Like I said, it’s an at a glance analysis, the implication would likely to be found by the ASA to be misleading. Most people are not nutritionally literate, and a lot of people who buy food are not literate in English, so they really do need to make an effort to protect them.

Reactions: 2
Let’s be honest - who in their right mind would think a chocolate bar contains 3 servings of fruit and vegetables? :ROFLMAO:

I agree it’s misleading to label things as healthier alternatives when they are not - coconut sugar is not any healthier than regular sugar. 👍
The thing is, people will. Food education in this country is terrible and DE is prying on that. I think it’s an awful thing to have on the packaging. It will make some people think they can eat more because it’s “healthy” when it isn’t. It’s still full of sugar.

Maybe she should add a single grape into the recipe so she can claim it’s 4 🙄 Man I really hate the DE brand. So manipulative and bullshitty.

Like I said, it’s an at a glance analysi

Like I said, it’s an at a glance analysis, the implication would likely to be found by the ASA to be misleading.
I get that it’s just one example of many, but the claim that an alcoholic drink is low calorie would by definition be misleading and factually incorrect as alcohol is a high caloric density liquid. The claim that Ella’s chocolate contains 3 plant based foods is not intrinsically misleading as it does contain them. The visual presentation, however, is open to interpretation and personal judgement; I am open to the idea I may be overestimating how good nutritional education is in the UK (I live here but am not from here originally) 😬

Agree this brand is awful - I tried Ella’s almond butter cups or whatever and they were nauseatingly sweet

I get that it’s just one example of many, but the claim that an alcoholic drink is low calorie would by definition be misleading and factually incorrect as alcohol is a high caloric density liquid. The claim that Ella’s chocolate contains 3 plant based foods is not intrinsically misleading as it does contain them. The visual presentation, however, is open to interpretation and personal judgement; I am open to the idea I may be overestimating how good nutritional education is in the UK (I live here but am not from here originally) 😬

Agree this brand is awful - I tried Ella’s almond butter cups or whatever and they were nauseatingly sweet
It’s bad. Nutritional education here is minimal. I know people who would think it was healthy based on that.

It’s not what you think, but what someone who maybe didn’t speak English would think, it has to be, and I mean no disrespect here, the lowest common denominator person looking at it.

Reactions: 3
but isn't it the implication that it is 2 of your 5 a day which is the issue?
Slightly OT but either way I am sick of all of these plant based/ "healthy" products advertising as if somehow using honey/coconut sugar etc are better than white sugar, sugar is sugar in terms of how your body reacts
To be fair the different types of sugar might rot your teeth at different rates. Like the stickier the sugar, the more time it spends on the enamel, the more time the bacteria have to digest it so the more acid which demineralises the teeth is produced. So in a way some of the more syrupy new processed sugars (well not antibacterial honeys) might actually be worse. Not actual science, just vibing here.

The regulators are there to protect people from themselves. You may not fall for it but not everyone is you. I think it's on slightly dodgy ground with using a similar "X a day" for a custom unregulated claim.

It's part of the new app to have 30 plant based foods a day and track them.

3 dried apricots is a portion I believe as you need less if it's dried fruit so some might think you're getting portions from dried fruit in chocolate. All her stuff is on sale at wholefoods at the moment, but I'll give it a pass as those almonds weren't that good and as they were roasted not even that healthy.

To be fair the different types of sugar might rot your teeth at different rates. Like the stickier the sugar, the more time it spends on the enamel, the more time the bacteria have to digest it so the more acid which demineralises the teeth is produced. So in a way some of the more syrupy new processed sugars (well not antibacterial honeys) might actually be worse. Not actual science, just vibing here.
I'm sure I've seen somewhere that sticky carbs are bad for tooth health and humans teeth really declined when we started farming and eating grains.

I think I've damaged my teeth having loads of "healthy' fruit and nut bars (like Ella's) as snacks when I was younger in stressful jobs where it stuck to my teeth.

I find it interesting that she always refers to maple syrup as just ‘maple’, to perhaps somehow make it seem healthier than it is

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.