Deliciously Ella #4 Bland burgers and branding under CEO Matt, daily affirmations won’t change that

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My favourite post from her today is the one where she says she started the business from the advance from her first book…totally ignoring the family money that made all that happen

• Haha
Reactions: 17
My favourite post from her today is the one where she says she started the business from the advance from her first book…totally ignoring the family money that made all that happen
She’s a joke, she can’t get her story straight.

Reactions: 4
Just read somewhere that Ella took sponsorship money as part of the Qatar World Cup 2022 with Hyundai. Part of their ‘£24mil’ so called revenue is money from an event which called into question human rights and slave labour issues. No surprise that she would be of such narrow-mindedness to have her face be part of such a controversial event. So so contradictory to their ethos as a brand.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
So. The audited accounts have now been filed at companies house and I’ve been picking it apart. Because they have been audited, we get to see the profit and loss and more details then we did before. The accounts are basically all of her companies added together.
Firstly, Ella lied about the Revenue. They made £22mil in total, not £24mil. The interesting thing is that their profits were only £1.4mil (meaning they spent £20mil on expenses). Ella and Matt paid themselves a measly salary of £12k each to avoid tax, and then shovelled out dividends of £700k.
The companies net worth is also a spectacularly low £750k, and they have net debts and loans of £3.4mil. There’s probably more to unpack, but revenue is never an indicator of how well a business has performed.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
So. The audited accounts have now been filed at companies house and I’ve been picking it apart. Because they have been audited, we get to see the profit and loss and more details then we did before. The accounts are basically all of her companies added together.
Firstly, Ella lied about the Revenue. They made £22mil in total, not £24mil. The interesting thing is that their profits were only £1.4mil (meaning they spent £20mil on expenses). Ella and Matt paid themselves a measly salary of £12k each to avoid tax, and then shovelled out dividends of £700k.
The companies net worth is also a spectacularly low £750k, and they have net debts and loans of £3.4mil. There’s probably more to unpack, but revenue is never an indicator of how well a business has performed.
Ugh I love to see it. Thank you for doing the lord’s work and unpacking this!

Reactions: 12
I think one of the worst things about this is them taking £700k each of dividends but refusing any bonuses or pay rises for their team.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
I think one of the worst things about this is them taking £700k each of dividends but refusing any bonuses or pay rises for their team.
But they’ve worked really hard. They’ve built this all up from such humble beginnings. They deserve huge incomes. Molly* in accounts processing invoices doesn’t work hard, and anyway giving her a pay rise would add to inflation. They’re just so community minded.

*anyone working for DE with the name Molly is just coincidental.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Ahh yes I forgot they give their staff free snacks, so a pay rise in line with the cost of living increase would be way too generous

Reactions: 10
Their launch in the US comes probably about 5 years too late and into a market that has a dwindling target audience.

It will also be interesting to see what the future brings for them with Waitrose - while the John Lewis side of the business is profitable, Waitrose operates at insane losses and they have brought in multiple people to revamp the whole thing and cut losses. Since the product development and production is funded by Waitrose mostly, I am not entirely sure this will be long lived.

Reactions: 10
They’ve had someone living out there for a year and a half trying to get the US off the ground, and in that time they have only got one retailer on board? Sounds like the wrong market to go after

Reactions: 3
Isn’t it a bit crazy to expand to the US. Where there are SO many companies like hers?? Instead of focusing on the European market where the competition is way lower? Are they in any shops, besides maybe one shop in Amsterdam, in Europe??

Reactions: 5
Isn’t it a bit crazy to expand to the US. Where there are SO many companies like hers?? Instead of focusing on the European market where the competition is way lower? Are they in any shops, besides maybe one shop in Amsterdam, in Europe??
They are far too expensive for the European market. Where they truly don’t have competition is central/eastern Europe and the Balkans and their products and prices would het laughed out of any board room. They might have a chance with some foreign retailers but doubtful when in the UK they are mostly in the most expensive stores.

Also they stepped away from being gluten free and that was a huge mistake. That is a market they could potentially do well in because there are few dedicated manufacturers.

Reactions: 11
Also they stepped away from being gluten free and that was a huge mistake. That is a market they could potentially do well in because there are few dedicated manufacturers.
Yeah with veganism becoming less popular they are definitely going to regret dropping the gluten free aspect. While veganism is a choice, for many people being gluten free is a necessity so it’s a much more stable market in the long term. A lot of people followed Ella in the early days for the fact her food was gluten free rather than plant based as well. Having both (and being based on “whole foods” generally) was what made her brand unique and seen as more of a “health food”.

Also how they started putting rapeseed oil (inflammatory) and “beet sugar” into everything as well

Reactions: 8
Yeah with veganism becoming less popular they are definitely going to regret dropping the gluten free aspect. While veganism is a choice, for many people being gluten free is a necessity so it’s a much more stable market in the long term. A lot of people followed Ella in the early days for the fact her food was gluten free rather than plant based as well. Having both (and being based on “whole foods” generally) was what made her brand unique and seen as more of a “health food”.

Also how they started putting rapeseed oil (inflammatory) and “beet sugar” into everything as well
Beet sugar - most commonly known as “sugar” 😂 entirely a marketing ploy to make you think it’s healthier.

Reactions: 15
They are far too expensive for the European market. Where they truly don’t have competition is central/eastern Europe and the Balkans and their products and prices would het laughed out of any board room. They might have a chance with some foreign retailers but doubtful when in the UK they are mostly in the most expensive stores.

No one in the easter europe region will buy her overpriced crap :)). The shipping costs as much as the products and people here have low incomes, at least lovwer than the rest of eu. Aprox 900 eur monthly - from this we have to pay bank loans, bills, eat, put gas/buy public transport ti kets, raise our kids lol..

Reactions: 4
She's hyped up this US launch so much and still hasn't said which stores they're going to be stocked in....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I would assume maybe Wholefoods?
sure she’d be tagging if it were Wholefoods or Trader Joes that actually do decent, not high processed ranges. Had a look at her plants and cannot believe they are selling biscuits as well. I give plants 2 years before it folds.

Reactions: 3