Deborah James - bowelbabe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Deborah is accountable for accepting these gifts. She could say, “No thanks. Donate it for a raffle for Hospice care and I’ll give you a massive shoutout.”
Most, if not all, brands would just go to the next influencer who would accept it. They plan their marketing strategy well before contacting influencers and they aren’t going to rewrite it just because one influencer fancies doing a giveaway.

Reactions: 2
I'll never forget when Deborah appeared on a bbc talk show and she got so mad when Lord Sumption said that some lives are more of a priority than others. He said something like your life shouldn't be put in front of a child'a lift for example. She got so offended and made it all about her and how upset she was that he could even say that. But what she didn't seem to comprehend is that in his not so eloquent way he was saying that in the NHS those life and death decisions have to be made all of the time due to lack of resources. And what really annoys me now I look back on it is.......she's private!!! She seems so unbelievably self absorbed at times.
Completely agree about the private treatment. I have seen her on a few programmes now advocating for the NHS and telling us off her dismay at cancer treatments being stopped because of lockdown. She fails to mention hers continues because shes private.
I really don't think someone accessing private treatment should be the face of the NHS

Reactions: 13
Just think making a career out of cancer is really off whoever is doing it! I just find her extremely self Indulgent. Also i always thought she was really inappropriate whenever they used to interview men on You Me Big C, her mimicking how big Greg Wise Willy was is one I will never forget. She truly believes she is gorgeous. I also don’t know any adult going through cancer treatment who burgers off to their parents all the time to ‘recover’. Yes it’s hard, but most people have to just have to get on with it.

Reactions: 11
Her wealth and doing ads are really irrelevant to her what her account was meant to promote/tell- her journey through treatment. She doesn’t advocate for other patients in the way I’d like, nor is she required too - however she’s v quick to repost another sad death from the community and then follow it up within minutes with an ad about some crap. IMO Shes insincere to the extreme.
She markets herself as just a working mum struggling through cancer treatment….and as someone who’s been there….how you find time or even have the inclination to promote Tesco clothing is beyond me. I mean how could you possibly care???

The “campaign” to get her on strictly made me shudder with embarrassment…as much as the “stars” on the show have questionable celebrity status, a rhythmically challenged in treatment cancer patient would be a stretch too far.
Insincere to the extreme is an understatement.

Reactions: 6
The Boots one is a bit low considering it’s related to cancer charities.
I’ve just seen the story where she is advertising the boots/Macmillan collaboration but she’s marked it as an Ad! I’m shocked that she’s making money from a cancer charity. That really is low!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I really do like Deborah and I think at first she had all the right intentions, spread awareness about something most of us couldn’t imagine living with.

however, she’s starting to monetise her cancer now and I’m not sure how I feel about that it doesn’t sit well with me.

Reactions: 5
And now flogging Photobox. What’s next I wonder?

She’s been monetising it for years now.

I really do like Deborah and I think at first she had all the right intentions, spread awareness about something most of us couldn’t imagine living with.

however, she’s starting to monetise her cancer now and I’m not sure how I feel about that it doesn’t sit well with me.

Reactions: 1
I always think about the other patients who must be subject to her dancing and posing throughout her chemo sessions, if I was feeling awful side effects etc. having her dancing around would really get to me, and would be selfish.

I just don't think she is a very likeable person, and probably wasn't before her diagnosis either.
I agree with this post I think she’s a very difficult person … she’s hardly ever with her children the dog seems the most important person in her life and she’s not coming across in a good way at all

Please could you clarify what line it is crossing? No one has said anything inappropriate just that they don’t agree with the fact that Deborah is avidly using her cancer to sell things and gain for herself monetarily and also that her insensitivity on occasion is inappropriate. She is perfectly entitled to do this but, we are also perfectly entitled (I’m also a current cancer sufferer) to say that we find it unsavoury.

Via very close friend connections I can say that it is not just us that feels like this about Deborah more and more lately (and another reason her husband stays out of it he is not fond of this limelight she seeks). There’s a lot of smoke and mirrors that goes on, just as mentioned above, one minute she is in hospital breaking her heart that no one can visit her telling us how close to the line she is (then suddenly her mother is allowed into the hospital room (I wonder how many other Marsden patients were allowed this?) and next minute she was up and dressed glammed to the nines and at an event… wow she really does enjoy a miraculous recovery often!
And this is what people find so inappropriate/insensitive. Not to mention when poor dear Hatti Gayner just suddenly passed away this weekend, someone who she often me talked about being a great friend etc, literally in the next clip she’s selling us face creams. Now that really was VERY inappropriate, thoughtless and insensitive. Particularly for Hatti’s family. Deborah is not everyone’s cup of tea and whilst she has raised an inordinate amount of money and awareness for the Marsden which is fantastic I know they too find her flying close to the wind on occasion. Awkward! It is is her journey and a remarkable journey if all she tells us is absolutely true and not embellished (she is a writer now, of course, so needs to fill a column). But as time goes on we find her more and more picking up free dresses, new boots, exercise clothes, pretty things, free tickets to A list events… all in the name of cancer. Unsavoury… insensitive… crass… perhaps she should be more transparent and separate the two personas one business and one genuinely helping cancer patients.

To be fair she has mentioned the private insurance on occasion but you’re right she doesn’t make this clear so other people then don’t understand why they aren’t getting similar care.

Yes, oh thank goodness it wasn’t just me. I found this post so ridiculous. It makes me feel rather like she’s making hay whilst the sun shines… I have followers, companies will pay me money to plug their stuff and in return she is literally making her own little fun pocket money out of us and going and spending it on these frivolities that 99% of the population could not even dream of. Yes she is wealthy (fact) and no one can begrudge anyone that. Her husband has worked hard as obviously has she (admitting herself that it was to the detriment of her own children and marriage… another interesting point… her job was more important than her family!) but the crux of it is she has muddied the lines in this. To start off it was all about sharing the journey, helping awareness, raising money. Now it’s all about sharing HER look at me designer A list journey, awareness about HER and her own self promotion and raising money for HER to spend money on HERSELF!!! Sadly Deborah I fear you have offended many and we may have seen through your smoke and mirrors.
Can I also just say that when hooked up to a chemo machine and literally sitting there with my sick bowl looking and feeling like death, if she’d danced & twirled her chemo pump past me with her pants on show she’d have got shock! 😂 honestly there are people in that ward who have genuinely complained about her and her antics as they’re sitting there feeling so ill. She is oblivious. She has an insane appetite for fame and to be looked at. No thanks Debs, put your pants away. We are over it. And whilst you’re at it donate your freebies for all these poor other people that can’t get the drugs they need for a few more precious moments with their family!
Well said 👏

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
So glad someone started this thread. Cancer does not give you a get out of jail card to avoid criticism (and I had it at 30 now have it terminal at 42 - different cancer mind). I don't know if she cares about being relatable, but she's meant to be fighting the good fight for people with stage 4 cancer yet doesn't acknowledge the fact that her experience of cancer is DRAMATICALLY different to the vast majority of crap normal NHS experiences. And instead flaunts and flaunts this discrepancy. Ooooh Dior, ooooh Wimbledon, oooooooh the housekeeper. I couldn't afford to pay for anything beyond what the NHS offered so am on my last treatment line now. I also can't afford to holiday in my luxury home in France once a year, so my last view will be a grotty, rainy British one. Am I jealous, absolutely!! But mainly because this was being shoved in my face as a 'normal cancer fight' and 'for the people'. And if you flaunt your infinitely more privileged cancer existance while pretending you are fighting the good fight for the masses then you are pretty morally represensible. And watching a privileged wife of a banker taking and taking and taking brand freebies that she could so easily afford galls. Especially when you are living on the breadline and slowly dying. But thanks for rubbing it in
and making me feel even worse about my (limited) existence and what is likely to be my pathetic, non Emma mattress death Deborah. Ironically, I have no real hard feelings towards this woman. Just sadness really. I don't know why people would want to rub this inequality in people's faces - you're meant to be on our side!?

*morally reprehensible

And I want to add to the above that I am in NO WAY trying to be nasty. I just wish these influencers would think about what they are doing beyond making a bit of extra cash. While they are no doubt helping some people, they're making others feel so much worse.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
So glad someone started this thread. Cancer does not give you a get out of jail card to avoid criticism (and I had it at 30 now have it terminal at 42 - different cancer mind). I don't know if she cares about being relatable, but she's meant to be fighting the good fight for people with stage 4 cancer yet doesn't acknowledge the fact that her experience of cancer is DRAMATICALLY different to the vast majority of crap normal NHS experiences. And instead flaunts and flaunts this discrepancy. Ooooh Dior, ooooh Wimbledon, oooooooh the housekeeper. I couldn't afford to pay for anything beyond what the NHS offered so am on my last treatment line now. I also can't afford to holiday in my luxury home in France once a year, so my last view will be a grotty, rainy British one. Am I jealous, absolutely!! But mainly because this was being shoved in my face as a 'normal cancer fight' and 'for the people'. And if you flaunt your infinitely more privileged cancer existance while pretending you are fighting the good fight for the masses then you are pretty morally represensible. And watching a privileged wife of a banker taking and taking and taking brand freebies that she could so easily afford galls. Especially when you are living on the breadline and slowly dying. But thanks for rubbing it in
and making me feel even worse about my (limited) existence and what is likely to be my pathetic, non Emma mattress death Deborah. Ironically, I have no real hard feelings towards this woman. Just sadness really. I don't know why people would want to rub this inequality in people's faces - you're meant to be on our side!?

*morally reprehensible

And I want to add to the above that I am in NO WAY trying to be nasty. I just wish these influencers would think about what they are doing beyond making a bit of extra cash. While they are no doubt helping some people, they're making others feel so much worse.
Your post is so spot on. I just wanted to send my love to you, I can’t begin to imagine how hard things must be for you xx

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Your post is so spot on. I just wanted to send my love to you, I can’t begin to imagine how hard things must be for you xx

Thank you so much. And look, it is partly the rantings of a bitter dying woman but cancer really makes you extra aware of the division between the 'haves' and 'havenots' of society and instagram only pushes us the 'haves' and it makes me sad. If i tried to start an Instagram page no one would care, because it would be a plump, grey lady eating food from Aldi. Deborah, I am convinced, only has the best intentions at heart and I do not think she is a bad person and she is going through a nightmare I would not wish on anyone. But, ultimately, she won't ever understand the struggle some of us experience, and I wish she would stop reminding us of that so much.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
She definitely knows the right people, she has somehow become the spokes woman of all cancers. Radio/TV, there she is. 🙄 as the above post has said, it’s a huge difference in cancer care.

Reactions: 14
Thank you so much. And look, it is partly the rantings of a bitter dying woman but cancer really makes you extra aware of the division between the 'haves' and 'havenots' of society and instagram only pushes us the 'haves' and it makes me sad. If i tried to start an Instagram page no one would care, because it would be a plump, grey lady eating food from Aldi. Deborah, I am convinced, only has the best intentions at heart and I do not think she is a bad person and she is going through a nightmare I would not wish on anyone. But, ultimately, she won't ever understand the struggle some of us experience, and I wish she would stop reminding us of that so much.
This is the best post on the entire thread and you’ve summed everything up perfectly.

I’m so sorry you have stage 4 cancer. It’s bleeping tit and unfair.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

*morally reprehensible

Totally agree! I’m so sorry to hear what you are having to go through with stage 4 cancer. Sending love and strength to you 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 7

*morally reprehensible

OMG. I agree best post on here. You should have your own insta account. I would love someone to do a story on her versus nhs working life reality. I've said and will say again somewhere along the line she's lost the cause she's now documenting her life albeit with with cancer but none the less a very privileged debt free worry free life. As you say she's on no ones side but her own, I've not seen her acknowledge anyone else suffering,empathise with their bowel cancer plight. It's just bowel babe trying to be a babe no matter what.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I hope she reads this thread …you would think her family would least advise her that this is all to much .. but clearly not … here is a woman who needs to be relevant constantly 🤦‍♀️ All so very wrong for those struggling

*morally reprehensible

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.