Dawn O'Porter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do people think of her new clothing range with Joanie Clothing? Prices start from £65. No good for me as Joanie don’t do petite but I’ve noticed a lot of her ‘celeb’ friends have been gifted one!

She was also advertising the fact her new book coming out in Oct ‘Cat Lady’ is available to request on Netgalley, so I got it but as usual she’s just not very good at writing novels. She’s funny on insta but her novels lack her humour even though it’s billed as ‘very funny’ I actually found it depressing! No doubt it will be another No.1 bestseller thanks to the Publishers clever marketing strategy!

Reactions: 2
What do people think of her new clothing range with Joanie Clothing? Prices start from £65. No good for me as Joanie don’t do petite but I’ve noticed a lot of her ‘celeb’ friends have been gifted one!

She was also advertising the fact her new book coming out in Oct ‘Cat Lady’ is available to request on Netgalley, so I got it but as usual she’s just not very good at writing novels. She’s funny on insta but her novels lack her humour even though it’s billed as ‘very funny’ I actually found it depressing! No doubt it will be another No.1 bestseller thanks to the Publishers clever marketing strategy!
I think the styles of the dresses are nice and suit Dawn but some of the prints are a bit cheap looking

I remember reading a short story she'd done once and was surprised how poor the writing was. Sometimes being a good, funny columnist just doesn't translate to writing fiction well I guess. I started reading a novel by Justin Myers who writes the Guyliner blog - v funny, brilliant blog but really dull novel

I think the styles of the dresses are nice and suit Dawn but some of the prints are a bit cheap looking

I remember reading a short story she'd done once and was surprised how poor the writing was. Sometimes being a good, funny columnist just doesn't translate to writing fiction well I guess. I started reading a novel by Justin Myers who writes the Guyliner blog - v funny, brilliant blog but really dull novel
Yes I think the dresses are clearly overpriced.

Of course the heroine in her book discovers Kaftan’s and charity shop clothes! I’ve read most of Dawn’s books (I get them from Netgalley) but her writing has yet to improve. I can’t stand all these ‘celebs’ being given publishing deals when they’re writing isn’t good enough.

I hate the sleeves on all the dresses but other than than, lovely stuff. Joanie isn’t especially cheap - but it’s not billed as such.

Reactions: 1
I wouldn't wear any of those patterns but I do appreciate that someone is putting wide armed kaftans into the world. They do suit a lot of body shapes.

I only read The Cows and kinda hated it, so I'm not in any hurry to pick up more.

That said, I admire her output. And her work ethic. She's basically on a book a year and that's a great turnover by anyone's standards.

She must be absolutely minted. Can't help wondering if she's richer than Chris nowadays.

I wouldn't wear any of those patterns but I do appreciate that someone is putting wide armed kaftans into the world. They do suit a lot of body shapes.

I only read The Cows and kinda hated it, so I'm not in any hurry to pick up more.

That said, I admire her output. And her work ethic. She's basically on a book a year and that's a great turnover by anyone's standards.

She must be absolutely minted. Can't help wondering if she's richer than Chris nowadays.
She certainly doesn’t act like she’s rich, always begging for people to join her Patreon and increasing the prices!

It’s easy to churn out one book a year when they’re so badly written!

I should add I am so pro sleeve, but billowy doesn’t help the pillowy chested.

I’ve read her books, don’t loads love them but never thought they were especially poorly written. Not Shakespeare but 🤷‍♀️

I should add I am so pro sleeve, but billowy doesn’t help the pillowy chested.

I’ve read her books, don’t loads love them but never thought they were especially poorly written. Not Shakespeare but 🤷‍♀️
This isn’t a rave thread 😜

The joanie dresses look so heavy - terrible timing to release them in the summer. I used to like Dawn but then she started spouting that she didn’t want to write for free anymore and people should be supporting her on Patreon 🙄 she lost me then. I’m also not a fan of her carting her pets from LA to London but that’s just me.

Reactions: 6
The joanie dresses look so heavy - terrible timing to release them in the summer. I used to like Dawn but then she started spouting that she didn’t want to write for free anymore and people should be supporting her on Patreon 🙄 she lost me then. I’m also not a fan of her carting her pets from LA to London but that’s just me.
If she based the heroine in her new book on herself then I can see why she carts them about as the heroine is obsessed with her cat!

I agree about the patreon. That's when I went off her too.

And then didn't she just release all her Patreon stuff as a book anyway? Making money twice off the same material.

I always wonder how much she's worth. Must be 5 mill at this point.

Wasn't one of her original reasonings for the patreon was that instagram was taking up too much of her time that she wasn't getting paid for? Which just seemed like a fundamental misunderstanding of what Instagram is - you post interesting, funny content to grow your audience so when you do have something to sell then the numbers are there

Btw, i'm all for patreon and people charging for extra content (as long as they do actually provide something to their subscribers), I just never understood why it meant her posting less on instagram

I think I remember her saying that someone had told her that she was providing too much content for free and should charge for it.
I can understand creatives starting out or who don’t have book deals having Patreon, but she has her own wealth plus combined with Chris’s too, it seems unethical almost!

Reactions: 5
I think I remember her saying that someone had told her that she was providing too much content for free and should charge for it.
I can understand creatives starting out or who don’t have book deals having Patreon, but she has her own wealth plus combined with Chris’s too, it seems unethical almost!
Same argument was made with Amanda palmer. She’s married to Neil gaiman yet she uses Patreon. I fast went off her when she bullshitted her experiences living in New Zealand during the lockdown.

Same argument was made with Amanda palmer. She’s married to Neil gaiman yet she uses Patreon. I fast went off her when she bullshitted her experiences living in New Zealand during the lockdown.
Did you read Dawn's book where she covered lockdown? Absolutely unrelatable. To sum it up, her and Chris were either drunk or stoned

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Did you read Dawn's book where she covered lockdown? Absolutely unrelatable. To sum it up, her and Chris were either drunk or stoned
I’ve not read any of her books. I have them all apart from the new one but I have absolutely no inclination to open them. I used to follow her on Instagram and she were constantly hammered during lockdown. It was quite amusing.

So. I like her and was a patreon member. I stopped because I had too many subscriptions to stuff. But, I found the lockdown stuff really boring, it was just an account of being in lockdown. That’s fine but it was kind of dull (understandably, because lockdown was dull). But then she made a book out of it, so what do I know? I think too, there was quite a bit of what she ate and how, erm, ‘jizz worthy’ it was, and I find good talk a bit boring too, no comment on the jizz thing. So not her fault, but not for me.

She also said something about losing her job writing for a magazine (can’t remember the name)?

I remember her doing a poll on whether her followers would be willing to pay her patreon and the majority said no but she said she was still going to do it anyway!