Dating after Lockdown

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been single 4 years and pretty happy on my own. But after lockdown was announced again I thought I'm never going to meet anyone so signed up to Internet dating.

I've progressed from my normal 'delete my account as soon as someone sends me a message' and actually chatted to 2 blokes (I only liked 2 back as couldn't cope with multiple messages 😂)

After an hour of chatting the first one he asked when we could meet, far too quick so I ignored him. After a few days of messaging a few times a day the 2nd has said he doesn't like apps and can we talk over the phone.

Is this normal?! I was looking forward to having a few Internet 'penpals' for a few weeks giving me time to decide if I liked them 🙈 I don't know if my expectations are wrong or I've managed to stumble across 2 super keen guys

Any tips appreciated!
Personally, I prefer to get a sense of what someone is 'actually' like sooner rather than later and I find it's a lot easier to do that by any means other than back-and-forth texting. Everyone's different, but I'd be pretty similar to the 2 guys in your scenario. I think you can tell a lot more in even a phone/video call conversation (as in person meetings are basically out for now unless you're close enough for a walk) than over text. Everyone's different though! Do what you're comfortable with.

Reactions: 3
I’d agree with your summary of the first guy.. asking to meet after only an hour is a bit desperate 🤨 That would make me back right off too.

I think the second guy asking to speak on the phone is a pretty normal transition from speaking over the app, although I’d probably go Whatsapp before a full on phone call. I hate speaking on the phone though so that might just be me 🤣 I remember once agreeing to a phone call with a guy I’d been speaking to for a few days over Whatsapp and he was eating his tea at the same time.. all I could hear was the horrible clacking sound of him chewing food 🤮 Needless to say, he was swiftly ghosted..

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I’d agree with your summary of the first guy.. asking to meet after only an hour is a bit desperate 🤨 That would make me back right off too.

I think the second guy asking to speak on the phone is a pretty normal transition from speaking over the app, although I’d probably go Whatsapp before a full on phone call. I hate speaking on the phone though so that might just be me 🤣 I remember once agreeing to a phone call with a guy I’d been speaking to for a few days over Whatsapp and he was eating his tea at the same time.. all I could hear was the horrible clacking sound of him chewing food 🤮 Needless to say, he was swiftly ghosted..
Haha this is me! I never answer the phone to my friends let alone a bloke I don't know 😂 Maybe a few days of lockdown will make me want to talk.

Thank you both for your replies!! I'm so out of my comfort zone 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I am that person who will be sat scrolling Instagram (or Tattle 😏), someone will call me and I will stare at the ringing phone until they hang up and I can re-commence my scrolling 😂

Tbh, your post resonated with me a lot.. I’ve also been thinking it would be nice to have a few new pen pals during lockdown knowing that there’s no pressure to actually meet anyone because we’re not allowed 💁🏻‍♀️ It makes the idea of getting “back out there” a bit less daunting.

• Heart
Personally, I prefer to get a sense of what someone is 'actually' like sooner rather than later and I find it's a lot easier to do that by any means other than back-and-forth texting. Everyone's different, but I'd be pretty similar to the 2 guys in your scenario. I think you can tell a lot more in even a phone/video call conversation (as in person meetings are basically out for now unless you're close enough for a walk) than over text. Everyone's different though! Do what you're comfortable with.
I agree with this.

I used to go on dates 48 hours within matching and talking because who wants a pen pal?! 😂

Sooner rather than later so if they’re not “it” or you don’t fancy them you’ll can put them in the 🗑 ASAP

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I agree with this.

I used to go on dates 48 hours within matching and talking because who wants a pen pal?! 😂

Sooner rather than later so if they’re not “it” or you don’t fancy them you’ll can put them in the 🗑 ASAP
Haha me 🙋‍♀️

I usually have a very busy social calendar so never want to give up a night with friends for a night out with a bloke I don't know. So was thinking this would be a good chance to decide if it's worth it

Really interesting hearing other viewpoints. And I've said we can chat in a few days 😂😂

Reactions: 1
I wanted to start a dating thread so this is good - where has everyone met their partners? I am curious, because apart from dating apps i dont know where people meet. Never met anyone at work/gym/night out. Interested to see other peoples experiences. I am currently seeing someone but feel this is coming to an end and I am dreading getting back into the dating game.
Met mine at work 4 years ago. He was a contractor. He's a diamond, I wouldn't have swiped right because I was very superficial on apps and his hilarious and caring personality would never have come across on an app (I think!) we're an unlikely match but it works for us!

Some advice that a friend got when their "trophy wife" left them for someone at their work.... "People like us don't get girls that think they are good looking. Aim for someone who doesn't know they are good looking and have a brilliant personality" They met an all round stunner a few months later. There is hope! 💓

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I love this thread, glad to know I'm not on my own. On all the dating apps but living in a more rural area it's just the same guys going round and round 🤦‍♀️ in a bit of a funk, just feels like everyone else is winning at life and I'm still single and living at home with the folks.

Reactions: 9
I love this thread, glad to know I'm not on my own. On all the dating apps but living in a more rural area it's just the same guys going round and round 🤦‍♀️ in a bit of a funk, just feels like everyone else is winning at life and I'm still single and living at home with the folks.
I live in London and I swear I get recommended the same guys all the time. I develop a weird aversion to them - I'm sure they're nice, but not for me at all, whenever I see them I just get filled with rage!

I'm feeling lonely atm and left behind too. I've never had a relationship and now with Covid it feels even more out of reach.

Hey, that’s no way to speak about yourself pal!
Being in a relationship or living by yourself doesn’t define you and certainly isn’t a measure of your success or what a bleeping badass witch you are! Think about the other areas of life where you would consider yourself to be winning or things about yourself and your personality that you love or family/friends that you’re grateful to have in your life. This has been such a crappy year for all, but it’s not forever! Keep going! X

I watched a programme called “Love Life” with Anna Kendrick this weekend and it sums up how a lot of us feel 😂

@bobthedragqueen your messages always make me feel warm and fuzzy. You always know how to uplift x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The last lockdown didn't bother me too much. Just worked and came home. I'm a very solitary creature but I'm really wishing I had someone this time around.

Reactions: 2
Although I’m not in your situation; I totally get where you’re coming from. People always tell you that you don’t need no man / woman to feel good about yourself, but when you crave that company and intimacy and it’s so far away (especially with covid putting more barriers in) it’s hard. Hang in there. It’s tit right now but if you can keep busy and find new hobbies it’s easier. I’d recommend staying off the apps they are so surface level and I guess make being single in lockdown harder?! (Lol, can you tell I’m very anti apps?!)

Help...So I’m meant to be having a virtual “date” later tonight and I feel awful saying this, but I just can’t be bothered. I feel like this second lockdown has left me thinking, “what’s even the point in dating or talking to anyone at the moment?”. I think it’s also knowing I’ll have to actually put makeup on to sit indoors is just so much effort 😩😂. Is anyone else the same? It just feels hopeless!

Reactions: 1
"Am I bisexual or just desperately horny and bored", and other questions I ask myself in lockdown.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Help...So I’m meant to be having a virtual “date” later tonight and I feel awful saying this, but I just can’t be bothered. I feel like this second lockdown has left me thinking, “what’s even the point in dating or talking to anyone at the moment?”. I think it’s also knowing I’ll have to actually put makeup on to sit indoors is just so much effort 😩😂. Is anyone else the same? It just feels hopeless!
Go on the date! It might make you feel better and give you a laugh. Better yet, you might meet the bloody person of your dreams! Worst case, you might get a bit of rumpy pumpy out of it when lockdown measures relax! Have fun and if you did go, I hope it went well x

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.