Dating after lockdown #21 More red flags than Pamplona, we don’t wanna know about your boner.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry it’s kind of dating related, you all give such good advice. How do you all deal with conflict with men/in relationships? Me and my man are having issues with conflict, because whenever either of us does something which annoys/upsets the other, we accept the others apology verbally, but don’t put the forgiveness in to action, which then drags it on. This is what I’ve taken from my reflection on the situation today anyway 😅

Yesterday we had a tiny disagreement which due to both of us not accepting eachothers apologies became a huge deal. Backstory is, he’s going to a festival for the weekend and I’m seeing a friend on the Saturday. We can see eachother Monday for a few hours and then I’m going away for a week.

He referred to a friend he was going to the festival with as ‘the girl you don’t like’. I said no, she’s the girl who I’ve met once and have a bad first impression of because she was rude to me, don’t frame this as a me problem. He understood and apologised. I felt upset by the comment even after the apology and made a comment about how he doesn’t invite me to some things I’d like to go to. I know in hindsight that was an unreasonable comment because they booked before we met but I just felt a bit meh because he was going with a mixed group of people from different friend groups, and I know had the tables been turned I’d have offered him to come with me and my mates.
He then got visually irritated by me saying that, and my reaction then is to freak out and be like aaa are you okay do you hate me?! Over and over because I hate fighting and it triggers some trauma in me. He can happily leave an argument and go to sleep, go to work etc without a conclusion, whereas I don’t like things to drag out so would rather sort it, say sorry and be back to normal. He left mine still in a bit of a mood, which was making me feel anxious so then I googled the presale and text him saying I checked and it was when we were together and I felt left out but it’s fine let’s get over it. This was a bad move because if someone checked up on what i said I’d be so pissed off, and he did get them before we got together. He told me he’s disappointed I don’t trust him, and I fully apologised for doing that and acknowledged what id done wasn’t good and that I do trust him. He spoke to me a bit via text, but coldly. Then he just didn’t reply or say a word for 13 hours. I googled when the festival finished and gave him a ring, just to see he was alright because we normally talk all through the day so it’s a long time to go, and I felt anxious which was ruining my night. My call went through on no caller I’d, I realised this straight away and turned my caller id on, and rang back so he’d know it was me. He took this as me checking up on him hiding my name and refused to talk to me on the phone, he messaged reassurance but wouldn’t hear me out so didn’t know my reason. I was drunk and knew he was pissed off at me so I was begging for him to just speak to me and tell me everything is okay which he wouldn’t.

We spoke this morning and he said he didn’t think it was weird that he said nothing and he didn’t want to speak to me last night. I know that his normal non argument self wouldn’t just say nothing for all them hours, and he was still pissed off. He was being quite snidey at some points of the call and when I said shall I let you go he was like yes please in a tone that made it feel like I was a huge burden. Having a DMC with your girlfriend for 45 minutes when you’re supposed to be having fun is a burden, but the chain reaction that came from was the fact he didn’t accept my apology and stayed in a mood with me for literally 24 hours.

Sorry for this big ramble but it’s the same if he does something which upsets me, but I go over and over and over the same issue until he’s stressed and upset because he doesn’t know what he can do to make it better. This is also exactly how I feel when he does his version. He wants to go silent and that then stresses and upsets me. I know he loves me and I love him so much too I just really want to fix this one aspect of the relationship because it’s the only issue I’d say we have

Reactions: 3
Sorry it’s kind of dating related, you all give such good advice. How do you all deal with conflict with men/in relationships? Me and my man are having issues with conflict, because whenever either of us does something which annoys/upsets the other, we accept the others apology verbally, but don’t put the forgiveness in to action, which then drags it on. This is what I’ve taken from my reflection on the situation today anyway 😅

Yesterday we had a tiny disagreement which due to both of us not accepting eachothers apologies became a huge deal. Backstory is, he’s going to a festival for the weekend and I’m seeing a friend on the Saturday. We can see eachother Monday for a few hours and then I’m going away for a week.

He referred to a friend he was going to the festival with as ‘the girl you don’t like’. I said no, she’s the girl who I’ve met once and have a bad first impression of because she was rude to me, don’t frame this as a me problem. He understood and apologised. I felt upset by the comment even after the apology and made a comment about how he doesn’t invite me to some things I’d like to go to. I know in hindsight that was an unreasonable comment because they booked before we met but I just felt a bit meh because he was going with a mixed group of people from different friend groups, and I know had the tables been turned I’d have offered him to come with me and my mates.
He then got visually irritated by me saying that, and my reaction then is to freak out and be like aaa are you okay do you hate me?! Over and over because I hate fighting and it triggers some trauma in me. He can happily leave an argument and go to sleep, go to work etc without a conclusion, whereas I don’t like things to drag out so would rather sort it, say sorry and be back to normal. He left mine still in a bit of a mood, which was making me feel anxious so then I googled the presale and text him saying I checked and it was when we were together and I felt left out but it’s fine let’s get over it. This was a bad move because if someone checked up on what i said I’d be so pissed off, and he did get them before we got together. He told me he’s disappointed I don’t trust him, and I fully apologised for doing that and acknowledged what id done wasn’t good and that I do trust him. He spoke to me a bit via text, but coldly. Then he just didn’t reply or say a word for 13 hours. I googled when the festival finished and gave him a ring, just to see he was alright because we normally talk all through the day so it’s a long time to go, and I felt anxious which was ruining my night. My call went through on no caller I’d, I realised this straight away and turned my caller id on, and rang back so he’d know it was me. He took this as me checking up on him hiding my name and refused to talk to me on the phone, he messaged reassurance but wouldn’t hear me out so didn’t know my reason. I was drunk and knew he was pissed off at me so I was begging for him to just speak to me and tell me everything is okay which he wouldn’t.

We spoke this morning and he said he didn’t think it was weird that he said nothing and he didn’t want to speak to me last night. I know that his normal non argument self wouldn’t just say nothing for all them hours, and he was still pissed off. He was being quite snidey at some points of the call and when I said shall I let you go he was like yes please in a tone that made it feel like I was a huge burden. Having a DMC with your girlfriend for 45 minutes when you’re supposed to be having fun is a burden, but the chain reaction that came from was the fact he didn’t accept my apology and stayed in a mood with me for literally 24 hours.

Sorry for this big ramble but it’s the same if he does something which upsets me, but I go over and over and over the same issue until he’s stressed and upset because he doesn’t know what he can do to make it better. This is also exactly how I feel when he does his version. He wants to go silent and that then stresses and upsets me. I know he loves me and I love him so much too I just really want to fix this one aspect of the relationship because it’s the only issue I’d say we have
I would probably have been the same; I get instantly anxious if I think someone’s being off/ignoring me and my brain goes into overdrive and decides they hate me. So I don’t have any words of wisdom but know full well there will be multiple here who have a good balanced bit of advice!
His initial comment would have annoyed me because it is painting you in a kind of needlessly bitchy light, but equally he was probably half joking.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I would probably have been the same; I get instantly anxious if I think someone’s being off/ignoring me and my brain goes into overdrive and decides they hate me. So I don’t have any words of wisdom but know full well there will be multiple here who have a good balanced bit of advice!
His initial comment would have annoyed me because it is painting you in a kind of needlessly bitchy light, but equally he was probably half joking.
Thanks for the validation, I feel like sometimes that’s the best medicine! I genuinely think men just don’t think before they speak/act and then feel attacked when their actions create a reaction in you

• Heart
Put the phone down sis! He’s a grade A pig - was with the snotty reply to your other message and still is with this one. Walk away, no negotiating and no explaining because he would twist it a thousand ways to make you question yourself and your judgment. A nice guy at a bad spot in his life would be cordial and polite at rebuffing your attention - that’s not who this guy is. Rude af. Delete delete delete!
Yeah I genuinely believe this is how he behaves and not a bad spot as it isn't the first time he been rude to me over WhatsApp.
I have deleted him but I'm gonna assume he will message some point in the week. I'm gonna read it and delete it. No wonder he 41 and still single with an attitude like that

Reactions: 4
Thought this would make you all giggle on a Monday morning...

Just filling mum in on my date I had the other week where there was sadly no chemistry. She asked me what he does for a living and I said grounds maintenance. She then says "oh, maybe you should give him another chance" to which I asked why and her answer was "well he would be so handy to have around for when the grass needs cutting"

Starting to think she wants me to have a handyman not a bloody partner 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Woke up to a message from hole...he said ' I need respect that he is busy and he not on his phone all day (even tho he was) and that his job will always come before me'
I did reply as that annoyed me and simple said ' you need to learn how to respect women and they way you spoke to me was rude and abrupt and there was no need. Enjoy your job'

I've deleted everything now and just booked a little holiday away with the girls from work so really looking forward to that.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Woke up to a message from hole...he said ' I need respect that he is busy and he not on his phone all day (even tho he was) and that his job will always come before me'
I wonder how many takers he’ll have on a dating app with that kind of attitude! I’m sorry this happened to you but honestly, you had a lucky escape. He’s clearly set in his ways, wants a relationship on his terms and when it suits him, and for the woman in his life to fall silent and make no demands on him or his time outside of him being in the mood to entertain her.

Sadly, there are a lot of men mid-30s+ who fall into this category. I admire people who have a career, a good work ethic etc. but if you have no work/life balance or refuse to factor in making time for someone else into your life then how do you expect to have a relationship?! It is not fulfilling for the other person to be expected to just be picked up and put down according to his time and mood.

Reactions: 10

Your entire situation sounds a bit toxic. Take a break from each other and make a game plan as to how you can avoid this situation in the future. Why are you fact checking what he is doing and/or saying? Do you not trust him? Has he given you reasons for you not to trust him?
And when it comes to him not speaking to you, from what I understand he texted you, but then did not reply for 13 hours because he was at the festival? You then called him, he didn't pick up but he did message you back to reassure you and the next day you two spoke on the phone, correct? I don't really see what he did wrong. He has a right to be angry with you. I would be angry too if my partner was checking certain things I did or said, or made comments that would make me feel bad/guilty (like your comment probably did). You need to accept that he is angry and give him the space to work through his emotions. I am sure he would have cooled down a lot sooner if you didn't pressure him so much about it. His anger becomes unreasonable if he drags it out over a long period of time, but it does not sound like that as far as I can tell from your message.

Editting to add: you sound rather insecure about yourself and your relationship. Comments like "shall I let you go" and feeling like a burden to him are not healthy and should not be a part of a healthy relationship. Give yourself some credit for the wonderful person you are. Tell yourself: this bastard is lucky to have me! And act accordingly, I think it will help your relationship a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Thought this would make you all giggle on a Monday morning...

Just filling mum in on my date I had the other week where there was sadly no chemistry. She asked me what he does for a living and I said grounds maintenance. She then says "oh, maybe you should give him another chance" to which I asked why and her answer was "well he would be so handy to have around for when the grass needs cutting"

Starting to think she wants me to have a handyman not a bloody partner 🤣
I spent the weekend weeding the garden and I must say at this point I’d rather have a handyman 👨‍🔧 😅
I did reply as that annoyed me and simple said ' you need to learn how to respect women and they way you spoke to me was rude and abrupt and there was no need. Enjoy your job'

I've deleted everything now and just booked a little holiday away with the girls from work so really looking forward to that.
Ugh, I’m so sorry this happened to you! It’s a reflection of him, not you, and you did the right thing by blocking him. To be frank, I don’t understand what people like him are doing on the apps. Hope you are not too upset and enjoy your holiday! 🤍

Reactions: 5
@lurkingaround123 I think MsCurly is right. I’m someone who likes to walk away from a disagreement and have some time to cool off before tackling the issue again. It helps me gather my thoughts and ground myself before coming to a resolution. An ex of mine was the type who could never leave anything alone and wouldn’t respect the need to give me some space and it really wore me down. Pleading with him to speak to you on the phone when you know he’s at a festival and Googling what time it’s supposed to finish isn’t healthy behaviour. You said you were feeling anxious and it was spoiling your night, but you then pushed that anxiety onto his plate by ringing him and texting him when you knew he was busy. You can’t force someone to accept your apology in a timeframe that you’ve decided is sufficient if they aren’t ready to.
Is the deeper problem here that you knew this girl was with him and your mind ran away with itself about why he wouldn’t pick the phone up to you? Do you trust him?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Your entire situation sounds a bit toxic. Take a break from each other and make a game plan as to how you can avoid this situation in the future. Why are you fact checking what he is doing and/or saying? Do you not trust him? Has he given you reasons for you not to trust him?
And when it comes to him not speaking to you, from what I understand he texted you, but then did not reply for 13 hours because he was at the festival? You then called him, he didn't pick up but he did message you back to reassure you and the next day you two spoke on the phone, correct? I don't really see what he did wrong here. He has a right to be angry with you. I would be angry too if my partner was checking certain things I did or said. You need to accept that he is angry and give him the space to work through his emotions. I am sure he would have cooled down a lot sooner if you didn't pressure him so much about it. His anger becomes unreasonable if he drags it out over a long period of time, but it does not sound like that as far as I can tell from your message.
He has acknowledged he deals with conflict in an unhealthy way, because he bottles everything up and then lets it explode, and although I've been to counselling, I didn't discuss relationship conflict because I wasn't in one at the time, and I know I don't handle it healthily either, because I let abuse I have received in the past trigger me in to an emotional mess. I have just emailed the counsellor to see if I can get in to discuss it with her.

We both absolutely dote on each other all the time, and when we have any form of conflict we both just become so selfish and only concerned with how we feel individually, and that probably causes the issue.
I apologised for fact checking and told him I did it because I was being selfish and only thinking about how I felt. At the beginning of our relationship he hid everything from me for absolutely no reason, it was proper silly things too, like he'd go and see friends or something but make it in to a big secret. He acknowledged that was weird & unnecessary, apologised and worked on it, but that made me lack trust because it felt like he was up to something. I do trust him now, even though it definitely looks like I don't, I just get panicked and anxious in conflict which makes me do silly things like that.
He could've just said right I'm going in now speak tomorrow, and had the time to cool off like that, but he knows silence makes me anxious and in turn that would ruin my night but he just left it how it was. Neither of us are acknowledging how the other feels and that's where the problem lies. If he acknowledged that uncertainty upsets me and said bye, and id have acknowledged that he needs some space to process and left him to it, but because neither of us are considering the other we're not handling things healthily.

@lurkingaround123 I think MsCurly is right. I’m someone who likes to walk away from a disagreement and have some time to cool off before tackling the issue again. It helps me gather my thoughts and ground myself before coming to a resolution. An ex of mine was the type who could never leave anything alone and wouldn’t respect the need to give me some space and it really wore me down. Pleading with him to speak to you on the phone when you know he’s at a festival and Googling what time it’s supposed to finish isn’t healthy behaviour. You said you were feeling anxious and it was spoiling your night, but you then pushed that anxiety onto his plate by ringing him and texting him when you knew he was busy. You can’t force someone to accept your apology in a timeframe that you’ve decided is sufficient if they aren’t ready to.
Is the deeper problem here that you knew this girl was with him and your mind ran away with itself about why he wouldn’t pick the phone up to you? Do you trust him?
True, me having bottomless brunch, then going out and having 8 gins and 4 shots didn't help the situation/my anxious thoughts to be fair because alcohol does bring out your emotions more 😆 Im not bothered he was with her, he wouldn't cheat on me. I think it just upsets me when he does things which he knows will upset me, in the same way he probably feels annoyed when i do things which i know will upset him. We need to deal with conflict as a couple still instead of being 2 separate people only thinking of themselves

His job will always come before you! I think we can all see why this guy is 41 and single and likely will be single his entire life. Let’s hope he never gets fired, imagine the tears.

Reactions: 8
I just get panicked and anxious in conflict which makes me do silly things like that.
He could've just said right I'm going in now speak tomorrow, and had the time to cool off like that, but he knows silence makes me anxious and in turn that would ruin my night but he just left it how it was. Neither of us are acknowledging how the other feels and that's where the problem lies. If he acknowledged that uncertainty upsets me and said bye, and id have acknowledged that he needs some space to process and left him to it, but because neither of us are considering the other we're not handling things healthily.
Sorry, I don't mean to come across as an hole, but why does he have to recognize your feelings (being anxious) when you do not recognize his feelings (being angry)? Why are your feelings more important than his? It seems like you two are just incompatible on this point: he needs space to cool down whereas you need confirmation and reassurance during a fight. So you can either accept that you two are different and keep this in mind when you are arguing, or this will eventually break you up. One partner should not have to put away his or her feelings in order to accommodate the other, that simply isn't fair. Relationships are give and take.

Being completely honest here, I doubt whether you fully trust him. Why would you get anxious if you fully trust your partner? You might believe you trust him, but perhaps there is something deep within that doesn't.

Neither of us are acknowledging how the other feels and that's where the problem lies. If he acknowledged that uncertainty upsets me and said bye, and id have acknowledged that he needs some space to process and left him to it, but because neither of us are considering the other we're not handling things healthily.
You should discuss this with your partner. After all, this is not a relationship advice thread, but I can imagine that counseling/therapy might be beneficial in this scenario. A therapist can teach you healthy coping mechanisms, especially regarding your anxiety.

True, me having bottomless brunch, then going out and having 8 gins and 4 shots didn't help the situation/my anxious thoughts to be fair because alcohol does bring out your emotions more 😆 Im not bothered he was with her, he wouldn't cheat on me. I think it just upsets me when he does things which he knows will upset me, in the same way he probably feels annoyed when i do things which i know will upset him. We need to deal with conflict as a couple still instead of being 2 separate people only thinking of themselves
I’d be interested to know how old you both are?

I think you have 2 different approaches to dealing with conflict - you both seem conflict avoidant but in different ways. You want to try and mend the problem immediately as it happens because leaving something to cool/calm down increases your anxiety levels that it will become more than it started off being and you need to know all is ok. He needs to take a break from the whole situation to cool/calm down so that he can resolve it in the right headspace.

I understand the desire to want everything to be ok, but by pushing you’re ignoring his boundary for needing/wanting space. And if someone has done something to piss us off it’s ok (and fair) to want to not speak to them for a few hours. Conversations pushed for and had when either or both parties are angry and/or drunk aren’t usually very productive.

The thing I found confusing from your original post was that you called him with called ID off and then realised so put it on again. That struck me as a bit fishy and like you could be trying to catch him out even if you weren’t.

His job will always come before you! I think we can all see why this guy is 41 and single and likely will be single his entire life. Let’s hope he never gets fired, imagine the tears.
He the boss of the company unfortunately haha
I'm back on tinder so my focus is not on him, I'll give a week or 2 and I'll forget all about him like I did last year but decided to give him another chance when he messaged me.
I'm surprised after a year he would message me as I didn't think he was the type of guy that would come crawling back

So the guy I met on the weekend I don’t think he’s got any intentions of meeting me again.. he said he would and we can work something out but he hasn’t suggested a day. From what I gather he’s working away this weekend and hasn’t really said much else about a 2nd date. We are still texting all day and he’s stopped putting an “x” when he says goodnight which is abit hmmm.. (he did last week). I dunno? I think the issue is the travel for me - he lives an hour away in Manchester and I don’t want someone who I’d only see once a week if that. Abit like J (from months ago…) .. I think I would like someone local who can just pop round for a few hours of an eve etc and local-er for date night rather than being an hour away. Hmmm. Will just see, I’m expecting him to low key ghost me though but we get on well so who knows🤷🏼‍♀️ I’d go out for dates with him but I’m not sure I can see it going further romantically. (Sorry thinking out loud lol)

Anyway. An old friend who I’ve known for years on end slid back into my DMs and we are meeting for a few drinks on Thursday 👀 we used to go out for nights out when we was younger so we know each other well! A blast from the past. Im keeping my options well and truly open though.

I read this initially as ‘I was on a date last night got in at 4.30’ and was thinking bloody hell 😂
[/QUOTE
And when it comes to him not speaking to you, from what I understand he texted you, but then did not reply for 13 hours because he was at the festival? You then called him, he didn't pick up but he did message you back to reassure you and the next day you two spoke on the phone, correct? I don't really see what he did wrong. He has a right to be angry with you. I would be angry too if my partner was checking certain things I did or said, or made comments that would make me feel bad/guilty (like your comment probably did). You need to accept that he is angry and give him the space to work through his emotions. I am sure he would have cooled down a lot sooner if you didn't pressure him so much about it. His anger becomes unreasonable if he drags it out over a long period of time, but it does not sound like that as far as I can tell from your message.

Editting to add: you sound rather insecure about yourself and your relationship. Comments like "shall I let you go" and feeling like a burden to him are not healthy and should not be a part of a healthy relationship. Give yourself some credit for the wonderful person you are. Tell yourself: this bastard is lucky to have me! And act accordingly, I think it will help your relationship a lot.
this is ju
So the guy I met on the weekend I don’t think he’s got any intentions of meeting me again.. he said he would and we can work something out but he hasn’t suggested a day. From what I gather he’s working away this weekend and hasn’t really said much else about a 2nd date. We are still texting all day and he’s stopped putting an “x” when he says goodnight which is abit hmmm.. (he did last week). I dunno? I think the issue is the travel for me - he lives an hour away in Manchester and I don’t want someone who I’d only see once a week if that. Abit like J (from months ago…) .. I think I would like someone local who can just pop round for a few hours of an eve etc and local-er for date night rather than being an hour away. Hmmm. Will just see, I’m expecting him to low key ghost me though but we get on well so who knows🤷🏼‍♀️ I’d go out for dates with him but I’m not sure I can see it going further romantically. (Sorry thinking out loud lol)

Anyway. An old friend who I’ve known for years on end slid back into my DMs and we are meeting for a few drinks on Thursday 👀 we used to go out for nights out when we was younger so we know each other well! A blast from the past. Im keeping my options well and truly open though.
how did the date itself go? He seemed quite promising ❤

this is ju

how did the date itself go? He seemed quite promising ❤
It went really well like I think we’d be more suited as friends than anything else??? I dunno really, maybe if he was in my town and more local I’d be a bit more yeah ok but i don’t want to date someone an hour away. The off ad-hoc date ok, but long term - no!

Starting to wonder if I'm the problem or the men are. Seems like everyone can get dates easily and I can't even get a text back 😒

It went really well like I think we’d be more suited as friends than anything else??? I dunno really, maybe if he was in my town and more local I’d be a bit more yeah ok but i don’t want to date someone an hour away. The off ad-hoc date ok, but long term - no!
I’d say an hour away is nothing if you’re both equally into it and make the effort… but it’s everything if one side cba. Like personallly for me that’s a good rule to be fair, if an hours distance feels like an issue then it’s obvs not the one! The date did sound so promising though so I think you’re right not to write it off but also keep an open mind ❤

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.