Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

50degreesnorth

VIP Member
It’s only taken me a year to pluck up the courage to thread my gift overlocker. 😳 Made a pair of pants yesterday I’m wearing today - so no pics as I need to protect you from my arse!

Someone said a few pages back you Don’t have to be great - just enjoy it. I’ll remind myself of that next time I’m unpicking a seam… or struggling with which way up to face the fabric.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7

Very traditional

VIP Member
I started a sewing class last year but it got cancelled after 3 classes (Covid) so I'm hoping to get back in to that for 2021. I'm quite crafty in general and often make or customise bits and pieces, I'm hoping to purchase a Cricut machine this year too, I'm a very keen baker and initially was looking at something to make cake toppers but it seems there's so much I could do with it! If anyone has any experience of one I'd love some insight.

pixxyy

VIP Member
My main craft is cross stitch though I have a habit of rarely finishing pics for myself, as I always get distracted doing them for gifts( including this Lion King).
My New Years resolution though is to finish my started ones & not start any new ones.
I'm also getting into Diamond Painting i've done 4 since Christmas.
DSC03718.JPG

• Heart

Millie2023

I’d make some cards and pop them in a basket at work, don’t undersell
I used to sell lots in this way- people would much rather buy off me than head out to the card shop on a rainy Tuesday!
As a PP said, it won’t cost you anything, as you have the stuff ❤
look online to see what the trends are right now ❤

Reactions: 6

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
I got a Stitch & Story ‘crochet your own Pusheen cat’ kit for Christmas, going to try and start it this afternoon 😄

Offtobuttonmoon

VIP Member
Screenshot_20210510-124918_Instagram.jpg

Hi crafty peeps, I just wanted to share that Barking Mad Dog Rescue (@bmdrdogs on Instagram) is holding an online auction for handmade crafts to raise funds for Romanian rescue dogs. So if you have any makes you'd like to donate please check them out 😊❤🐾

(I hope this is okay to share)

• Heart

PortiaControl

Chatty Member
Hello all! I cross stitch and knit ( to a fashion) bit have decided I might quite like to get into sewing and have bought myself a Tilly and the buttons book so fingers crossed it all makes sense and I haven’t just spent £100 on a sewing machine for no reason! So if anyone has any recommendations for getting started please let me know. I’m looking forward to seeing what you all create this year

You're in safe hands with Tilly. She's great for beginners 😊 You will be fine just take your time and enjoy the process!

• Heart

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Finally got round to making this Victorian gothic style fascinator I had in my mind. Feathers left by local birds ☺
IMG_20231206_151149.jpg

• Heart
This is my kinda thread 🤣 I’m addicted to sewing. I love dressmaking and patchwork/quilting as well as bag making. I’m just learning to crochet too. Oh and I’ve cross stitched since I was really little! Got a couple of big ones on the go. I like Caterpillar Cross Stitch patterns 😄 really fun and modern.

Been sewing about 3 years now but the dressmaking really took off last year when I got an overlocker for my birthday.

I love Tilly and the Buttons patterns and her books! Got the Billie dress pattern and some nice knit fabric arriving this week so that should keep me occupied!

I also love Friday Pattern Company patterns and I want to try out some Merchant and Mills ones and Closet Core. I must also add I am absolutely addicted to buying fabric 🙈😂
I have made 3 Merchant & Mills patterns - they are not straight forward! For two of them I had to go to my local shop for practical help to find out what I was supposed to do.

PortiaControl

Chatty Member
What did you make with your Cricut? I have a birthday coming up and think I will ask for money towards one but was thinking the expression would be a good stater machine for me from the reviews I've read but I'm not sure? I'm a bit scared of them too haha

When you plug it in and set it up it walks you through a test cut so I literally just cut a crown shape out of card and then switched it off and put it back in the box! Ha! Because I sew clothes I got it so that I could customise them with vinyl. But I do enjoy other crafts too so I opted for the maker as it has the most versatility. It was expensive but I got a deal and had been considering blowing the last of my savings on it for about a year. I think though because it's so versatile and you can do so much I don't know where to begin!

I’m a (very novice) calligrapher and also a wax seal enthusiast 😍

Love a wax seal!

Barbie2020

VIP Member
I’m just making some little Halloween cross stitch kits for my Etsy shop at the moment. Looking forward to getting Christmas ones ready.

• Heart

Penguin86

VIP Member
The charity “Knit for Peace” is always grateful for knitted donations, for people here in UK and abroad. If I fancy making something small eg a cardi I send it to them. It says what they need on their website.
Warm Baby Project on Facebook is good. They do appeals for all over the UK and Africa

Moongirl69

VIP Member
@Miss Begotten I had no idea you were a fellow crocheter! I used to knit but since I started to crochet I find 2 needles fiddly. I found an easy pattern on YouTube for a baby blanket which Im going to try.
For all the crocheters/knitters/sewers...these crafts have the same impact on your brain as mindfulness, rewiring the neural pathways. Amazing 🧶

• Heart

Millie2023

Hello fellow crafters!
I have dabbled in most things (except anything needlework related!) and seem to rotate through crafts, as I get bored easily
That said, I seem to be better at collecting craft stuff that actually using it 🤣
Current “thing” is my cricut machine and heat press, I’m just discovering all of the possibilities- just need a few more hours in the day….

colouredlines

VIP Member
Hello crafty people. My first love was sewing but I find it quite hard work plus it takes up a lot space and needs a lot of equipment. These days I'm a avid crocheter (learnt 5 years ago) but I've always wanted to learn knitting. It looks so complicated to me, worried it will challenge my brain too much so I'm yet to try it.
Here are some of my lockdown accomplishments 😬 hope you like....
Those are gorgeous! You've got a great eye for colour.

Knitting is easy to learn - I found it puzzling at first, but then something just clicks and you're off. I don't crochet, but I know people who do both say that knitting takes twice as much time, but uses half the yarn.

• Heart

SoulRebel

VIP Member
This is my kinda thread 🤣 I’m addicted to sewing. I love dressmaking and patchwork/quilting as well as bag making. I’m just learning to crochet too. Oh and I’ve cross stitched since I was really little! Got a couple of big ones on the go. I like Caterpillar Cross Stitch patterns 😄 really fun and modern.

Been sewing about 3 years now but the dressmaking really took off last year when I got an overlocker for my birthday.

I love Tilly and the Buttons patterns and her books! Got the Billie dress pattern and some nice knit fabric arriving this week so that should keep me occupied!

I also love Friday Pattern Company patterns and I want to try out some Merchant and Mills ones and Closet Core. I must also add I am absolutely addicted to buying fabric 🙈😂
Do you follow Juliet Tuzor, the Uncut Podcast or The Polka Dot Palace on IG? All lovely, honest sewers and informative as well as funny.
Oh, just remembered - The Little Pomegranate is lovely too.

TheStrawberryThief

For crochet, I recommend keeping trying, because initially I just didn't 'get' it and once my crochet hook was flung across the room in protest... but then once day it just clicked. :ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Try watching a few different people explain or demonstrate the same stitch and just keep trying and it will click.

You often see people posting really professional looking crochet items online and claiming it is their first project. Do not pay attention to those people.

We do not know what other crafts they have done or even if they are telling the truth about if being the first thing they have made. Some people are naturally gifted, but do not mistake them for being typical of what a beginner should do.

Very traditional

VIP Member
These are all amazing but the bobble cardigan is 😍😍😍 I've been lusting after one pretty much the same on chicwish for at least a year which I've attached. Where was that pattern from please? I can do basic knitting (like straight lines haha, I make a great scarf of blanket) but my Nan is a pro so I'll maybe ask her for "help"

I took a career break in October 2019 and decided to take up knitting. I made a blanket first, just knit squares and sewed them together, then moved on to baby clothes for my nephews and niece and started doing adult clothes in lockdown, although I keep doing the same cardigan because once people see it they all bloody want it 😄 mum taught be knitting when I was very young but never picked it up until I was 38! Better late than never I guess! I’ve attached a few bits I’ve done! I paint a bit too but I find it easier picking up the knitting needles. I’ve done the bobbly cardigan a few times in different colours, about to start another one just waiting on the wool to arrive, I find knitting quite addictive! I’m just a bit slow at projects now I’m back at work 😒 please share more of your projects I’d love to maybe get some inspiration to try something else.
those mosaic murals are unreal I love them!!

Attachments

Barbie2020

VIP Member
I cross stitch and have designed some of my own kits. I've been trying to sell them on etsy but I'm just not getting many views which is frustrating because I'd love to do this full time. I'd also like to be able to knit, but I can never get the tension right! Aaand I'd like to be able to crochet but find it so difficult.
Hi I have an Etsy shop and sell my crafty bits! I’ve been doing it for a few months. It’s very hit and miss sometimes but it’s started to pick up for me now and getting quite a lot of sales. Hang in there 😊

I cross stitch and have designed some of my own kits. I've been trying to sell them on etsy but I'm just not getting many views which is frustrating because I'd love to do this full time. I'd also like to be able to knit, but I can never get the tension right! Aaand I'd like to be able to crochet but find it so difficult.