Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

veronica71

VIP Member
Another one agreeing about it clicking. It’s like another language to start with and for a while and then it’s suddenly like ohhhhhhhhh

annoyingly as I’ve based my craft fairs and Etsy shop on it I’ve suddenly got the ick with crochet 😩🙈 I’m hoping if I take a break the love will come back!

Reactions: 5

Heidi88

VIP Member
I'd recommend The Crochet Crowd. I used a mixture of youtubers when learning including Bella Coco and HappyBerry crochet.

I had two hours in a car today as a passenger and brought loads of Granny Squares with me to weave in the ends. I never learn an dalways leave them to do all at once. I have 102 all weaved in. Only 18 more to go 😂

• Heart

Kellybobz

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has used wool and gang or we are knitters kits and think they are worth it for a pretty much complete beginner knitter? There’s a couple of lovely cardigan kits on both sites that I would like to try but they are very expensive! I have knitted in the past but not for about 10 years and never more than a scarf. I have also just taken up sewing so I’m not sure if I should get another hobby 😂 thank you!
I’ve used Wool and the Gang as a beginner, but I bought the kit on Black Friday because as you say, they’re expensive! Wool and the Gang have 20% kits with the code APRIL20 if you do decide to go ahead!

• Heart
I meant to post some of my cross stitches here to show you all ages ago! I do have a story about one of the chart suppliers I used to use but I don't want to take over the thread with multiple posts, so I'll hang fire til I've reminded myself of all the twists and turns!
View attachment 400096
This is my current work in progress - 3 years into it, just over halfway done. The original art is Farewell to Anger by Leonid Afremov.
View attachment 400099
One I did for a friend retiring from work, massive GoT fan!
View attachment 400100
Above my stairs on the landing.

I have more but I feel like I've taken enough space already! 😂 😂 Love seeing all your work and sharing with fellow enthusiasts!
I love the juxtaposition of your terrible slop inspired username and your beautiful creations, we love a multi faceted frau ❤

• Haha

MadameFoner

Chatty Member
If it helps I tried and failed so many times with crochet, I bought a kids kit with instructions and wool to make a granny square bag. This was the only thing that helped me. Also good was an old ladybird book they do crochet and knitting.

fruitfriends

The sentro is a great gift for a beginner! It’s extremely easy to get the hang of :)

So happy I just noticed this thread! I’m a crafting crazy woman as my husband calls it 😂 I make stitch markers and crochet patterns, plus crochet a lot obviously.

• Heart

Girty Drifter

I’m easing myself back in slowly as I struggle with both pain and dwindling energy levels so doing quite simple things at the moment. I bought a box blank with a birthday voucher and have made a storage box for greetings cards (as I usually store them in about 30 different places and lose them!) last week and today I’m repainting the tray that our coffee and tea stuff stands on, lining it with fablon and adding some jute string round the handles just to make it look a bit nicer.

I know they’re really simple things, I usually knit/crochet/sew/embroider/papercraft etc, but at least I’m doing something. I’m slowly starting to get ideas for more complex projects, which is really good as I’ve had zero motivation or inspiration for months.

I’d love to see more pictures of what others have been doing!
---
A relative bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm busy pinning projects on Pinterest to have a go at! 🧵

Can anyone recommend any channels or resources for complete beginners on using a sewing machine, or any very basic tutorials? I find it much easier to follow a video than pictures or text.

Thanks! 😊
I don’t know of anything online, but your local college or fabric shop would have info on classes or drop in sessions. I found drop in sessions were brilliant when I learnt ☺

• Heart

pixxyy

VIP Member
My little Cousin loves Frozen so my new love of Diamond Painting helped with 2 prezzies
anna.jpg
elsa.jpg

• Heart

Neonmoon

I love felting and making little angels I should probably do more tbh. I’ve also got a circuit and a heat press so I should also pull it all out the cupboard 🙃

Thank you 💕 Yes crochet does create quite a heavy fabric. I've been mostly making blankets with crochet. But I think knitting is better for wearable garments. My kids are fast growing up. So I've missed the boat for knitting tiny bonnets and cardigans.
I'd love to see what others are crocheting, knitting and sewing. 😊
The charity “Knit for Peace” is always grateful for knitted donations, for people here in UK and abroad. If I fancy making something small eg a cardi I send it to them. It says what they need on their website.

TheStrawberryThief

This may sound like an odd suggestion, but I am going to suggest putting your Disney squares to one side for the moment and make something else. It doesn't have to be big, so maybe a scarf, hat , baby size blanket etc. Just pick something simple that you can do in less than a month.

When that is done, go back to your squares and you may find that you feel refreshed and ready to go. I think sometimes a project can seem big and daunting, or you have been working on it for ages and the work just slows to a crawl as you get so focused on finishing that you stop enjoying it and put of working on it, making things go even slower.

One of my friends had been trying to complete a blanket for her daughter for years. Working on it a bit at a time and then stopping for months. I suggested she put it away, so something else and the come back. She went away and made a basket, and then found she was able to finish her blanket within a few week after.

Girlinabubble

Love this, thank you for setting up! Not mega crafty but am attempting to embroider some baby sleepsuits with my daughter’s name some point this / next week so will be reading for tips! xx
I’ve just used the soluble canvas - so easy to create original designs and stitch - makes it so much easier!

• Heart

azzarzar7

i follow leena norms on youtube - not for the knitting or sewing content specifically but do really enjoy those videos - and she uses lauren aston a lot as a beginner. they have kits and patterns / yarn seperately too but her final knits always look lovely!

As a beginner (shit) knitter I deffo recommend the Lauren Aston ones! Instructions are really clear and easy to follow - I managed to knit her babygrow pattern grow as one of my first knits! Also recommend www.thatcraftystitch.co.uk for super easy beginner kits!

Snippysnips

VIP Member
This may sound like an odd suggestion, but I am going to suggest putting your Disney squares to one side for the moment and make something else. It doesn't have to be big, so maybe a scarf, hat , baby size blanket etc. Just pick something simple that you can do in less than a month.

When that is done, go back to your squares and you may find that you feel refreshed and ready to go. I think sometimes a project can seem big and daunting, or you have been working on it for ages and the work just slows to a crawl as you get so focused on finishing that you stop enjoying it and put of working on it, making things go even slower.

One of my friends had been trying to complete a blanket for her daughter for years. Working on it a bit at a time and then stopping for months. I suggested she put it away, so something else and the come back. She went away and made a basket, and then found she was able to finish her blanket within a few week after.
Thanks I might try that, I actually make worry worms for my work, there's still a few at my work so maybe I could do a restock, they are quick to do an simple as well, it might help me to feel like I've actually gotten something finished

panda_eyes

VIP Member
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has used wool and gang or we are knitters kits and think they are worth it for a pretty much complete beginner knitter? There’s a couple of lovely cardigan kits on both sites that I would like to try but they are very expensive! I have knitted in the past but not for about 10 years and never more than a scarf. I have also just taken up sewing so I’m not sure if I should get another hobby 😂 thank you!
Exactly what @veronica71 says above - there are a lot of patterns on ravelry that are free or not much (if there's one you love but think it's a bit pricey, see if the designer has a website and sign up to their newsletter, they normally give you a discount code for signing up). Ravelry is also great for seeing other people's projects on the same pattern too.

To see if the wool you like matches what the pattern states, a really helpful site is Yarn Substitution to check if what you want to use will work well (if it's not listed in someone's elses project already).

Happy knitting :)

• Heart

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I loved crochet but sewing caught my attention the past few years, I really ought to pick up a crochet hook again.

Very traditional

VIP Member
What did you make with your Cricut? I have a birthday coming up and think I will ask for money towards one but was thinking the expression would be a good stater machine for me from the reviews I've read but I'm not sure? I'm a bit scared of them too haha

Hello! All around craft slut here 🙋🏻‍♀️ I do 'em all, just try and stop me! Although garment sewing is my main hobby. I did a lot of cross stitch gifts for Christmas so sewing was on the back burner but now I'm ready to sew up a storm in January.

I also treated myself to a Cricut Maker just before Christmas but so far have only done a test cut to check it was working. Bit scared of it to be honest 😆🙈